Adrian Peterson yes or no

Adrian Peterson yes or no

• Total voters
I may be alone here, but I would rather have LG back.

I would rather have literally ANY other RB not named Ray Rice.

Adrian Peterson is a POS and not enough bad things can happen to him as far as I'm concerned.

I would throw out all my Patriots stuff, delete this account, and stop watching them if they signed him. Thats not an exageration. BB would be dead to me.

No, here's why. Some points from this thread so.........

I'm all for second chances, I really am. But as a general rule, I like to "Like" the players on my favorite team. This goes against that for me.

Chevs454's point above that I was not aware of. What is with AP's ypc? LG is far better at this point, even if there are other factors causing this.

LG has to be willing to play for less? Right?

Ball security. What happens when AP fumbles for a second game in a row( we all know this is possible). Will we watch him sit on the bench for the next 3-4 games?

What will Kraft say the first time he's had a pop or two and a mic is stuck in his face asking about DV issues?

Overlooking his terrible off the field stuff, I feel he'd be a Fragile Freddie v2.0. So I don't see how the Pats pull the trigger.

No, here's why. Some points from this thread so.........

I'm all for second chances, I really am. But as a general rule, I like to "Like" the players on my favorite team. This goes against that for me.

Chevs454's point above that I was not aware of. What is with AP's ypc? LG is far better at this point, even if there are other factors causing this.

LG has to be willing to play for less? Right?

Ball security. What happens when AP fumbles for a second game in a row( we all know this is possible). Will we watch him sit on the bench for the next 3-4 games?

What will Kraft say the first time he's had a pop or two and a mic is stuck in his face asking about DV issues?
LG has already played for less. Much less. Like minimum vet. This is his last contract, and he should get paid. League leader in TDs. They probably don't want to pay him, and that's why he hasn't signed. There's no doubt he wants to play here, though.

Reports say AP won't sign for less than $8M/
It's not clear if that figure includes playing for the Pats or if he would take less to play for the Pats.

I like the talent but not the person.

If BB signs AP, he is embracing the dark-side. As Brady texted Edelman from Superbowl 50. Every F'in hates us! Let's win it next year!

When everyone hates you, maybe you just embrace the hate. I expect AP to get signed.

I think it would be great if they signed him just to see how people here react. :)

I really don't care if I like people who play for the Patriots as individuals. I do have players I like, but ultimately it's all X's and O's and pissing off the fans of all the other teams. I think Peterson would be a significant upgrade and would really piss off fans of other teams.

I don't really get all the love for Blount - I do like him as a person but he's not a great running back.

Reports say AP won't sign for less than $8M/
It's not clear if that figure includes playing for the Pats or if he would take less to play for the Pats.

He refuted those reports saying they were baseless.

LG has already played for less. Much less. Like minimum vet. This is his last contract, and he should get paid. League leader in TDs. They probably don't want to pay him, and that's why he hasn't signed. There's no doubt he wants to play here, though.
I'm not generally in favor of paying running backs more for next year than last year once they hit 30.

If it's true he won't sign without a pay raise, I doubt he'll be back.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

I'd love for the Pats to have a 1 dimensional, fumble factory,selfish running back over 30...sign me up!!
I agree, but only if his ypc has gone down the last few years.

LOL spacecrime, indeed!

Curran (per his appearance on PFT tv this AM)thinks the Pats are doing his agent a solid, getting Peterson's name into the mix. Agent= Ben Dogra, who I think was Damien Woody's agent, not sure who else's (Pats wise).

As with any FA signing, I say "yes as long as it's affordable". Blount had as many rushes last year (299) as he did in '15 and '14 combined (290) and his YPC was a pedestrian 3.9, worst since 2012 when it was 3.7 (his lowest of his career). Honestly, he's replaceable. And while AP has had a lot of yards, and is slightly older, he has more of a potential to break a big one on any play. He's simply more dangerous and needs to be paid more attention to by the opposing D, which would free up players elsewhere on the field.

You're definitely not alone. In fact I'd say you're in the majority here.

Most definitely not alone.

And if we're bringing in trash from the Vikings, let's just sign that genius who tried to pass his pee test using The Whizzinator!!

(anybody but me remember that?)

:rimshot:

As with any FA signing, I say "yes as long as it's affordable". Blount had as many rushes last year (299) as he did in '15 and '14 combined (290) and his YPC was a pedestrian 3.9, worst since 2012 when it was 3.7 (his lowest of his career). Honestly, he's replaceable. And while AP has had a lot of yards, and is slightly older, he has more of a potential to break a big one on any play. He's simply more dangerous and needs to be paid more attention to by the opposing D, which would free up players elsewhere on the field.

I agree that LG can be replaced but I'd like to point out that AP's YPC the last 2 years was 4.2 YPC. He's not the breakaway guy he was 5 years ago which was the last year he averaged > 100 yds per game. Since 2012, AP's yards per game has dropped by a whopping 40 yds/game. At 32, it seems unlikely he'll bounce back to what he once was.

I'd take Blount over AP but I'd take a cheap rookie if one comes along in the draft over Blount if Blount's price continues to be the issue.

Blount had as many rushes last year (299) as he did in '15 and '14 combined (290) and his YPC was a pedestrian 3.9
Not disputing your numbers, or that Blount isn't the same runner as he once was, but two comments:

A higher number of rushes (299) has no relationship with YPC. Just because carries went up doesn't mean so should YPC.

It is tricky to compare YPC of short-yardage backs with third down backs. The old standard of a successful run was four yards, a first down OR a touchdown. Blounts main use was in running situations, mostly not in run or pass (or mostly pass) situations, and a lot of his carries last year was in closing out games by running. I like this much better than passing and risking Brady, but it only takes a couple downs for the defense to understand what is going on and shade to defend the run.

The main way that runners get high YPC IMO is from breaking the occasional long run and running in passing situations, neither of which Blount did very often.

The bottom line (for me) is that I don't think most runners, certainly including AP, would not do a whole lot better if used the same way. The only advantage AP has over Blount is that he is more likely to break a long run. But our 'hole' in the RB stable is for a banger; we have the fast shifty runners. I just think as a power back, we are better off with Blount than AP who runs upright too often, or use Burkhead who runs with good lean and violence.

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

...but I'd take a cheap rookie if one comes along in the draft...
Best idea of all.

Not disputing your numbers, or that Blount isn't the same runner as he once was, but two comments:

A higher number of rushes (299) has no relationship with YPC. Just because carries went up doesn't mean so should YPC.

It is tricky to compare YPC of short-yardage backs with third down backs. The old standard of a successful run was four yards, a first down OR a touchdown. Blounts main use was in running situations, mostly not in run or pass (or mostly pass) situations, and a lot of his carries last year was in closing out games by running. I like this much better than passing and risking Brady, but it only takes a couple downs for the defense to understand what is going on and shade to defend the run.

The main way that runners get high YPC IMO is from breaking the occasional long run and running in passing situations, neither of which Blount did very often.

The bottom line (for me) is that I don't think most runners, certainly including AP, would not do a whole lot better if used the same way. The only advantage AP has over Blount is that he is more likely to break a long run. But our 'hole' in the RB stable is for a banger; we have the fast shifty runners. I just think as a power back, we are better off with Blount than AP who runs upright too often, or use Burkhead who runs with good lean and violence.

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Best idea of all.

I think if more people checked out his YouTube vid links when we signed him they'd be more impressed.

We may be done at RB.

But a big bruising sure handed 7th rounder would be fine

Back