Big/Sky/Fly

370hssv vw6!s tu36v
Reaction score
Belichick’s personnel approach has cost Patriots championships

Ty Law: Belichick’s personnel approach has cost Patriots championships

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 16, 2016, 4:23 PM EDT
457333560.jpg
Getty Images

It’s hard to argue with Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s longstanding philosophy of getting rid of good veteran players while they still have some trade value. After all, Belichick has won four Super Bowls in New England.

But former Patriots cornerback Ty Law says that the Patriots would have won more than four Super Bowls if Belichick weren’t so quick to get rid of good players.

Law told ESPN that Belichick is too quick to get rid of veteran team leaders, and as a result, the Patriots have lost some playoff games that they could have won with another good player or two.

“I think it has cost them championships. I think they let go of too many guys who can rally the troops and win Super Bowls,” Law said.

Law won three Super Bowl rings with the Patriots before Belichick cut him in a salary-cap move. The Patriots then went nine years without winning a Super Bowl. Would the Patriots have won another title if Law had been in New England?

More recently, would the Patriots’ offensive line have been good enough to withstand the Broncos’ pass rush in this year’s AFC Championship Game if Belichick hadn’t traded away Logan Mankins a year earlier? Might the Patriots have five or six or seven Vince Lombardi Trophies if Belichick had held onto his best veteran players a little longer?

No one can say for sure, but Belichick’s track record is pretty good. If history is any guide, we’re likely to look back on this week’s Chandler Jones trade as an indication that Belichick is smart about knowing when to move on from a player.
But it’s possible that Law is right, and the 2016 Patriots will be one good pass rusher away from a Super Bowl — and Belichick just traded a good pass rusher away.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nel-approach-has-cost-patriots-championships/

:coffee:

Well, that is one thesis.

I expect it is hard to win a championship. All the pieces have to fall together pretty well. Injuries, low to mid level guys playing above their position, top guys playing like top guys, the cap, the coaches, everything has to work right.

Clearly, a financial reality is this team just can't keep all 5 or 6 of those young defensive players including Jones, Collins, Hightower, Sheard, Butler, and even Ryan. Ty Law doesn't take that reality into account.

Getting a 1 for Seymour was a good deal and this 2 for Jones is also pretty good. The 4 for Mankins (was it a 4?)...well it was something.

I commend BB for never really being in cap hell. He never mortgages the future. He is always ahead of the financial decision. How often do we see other teams letting players leave and it really isn't their decision it, financially, is out out their hands (this year the Broncos come to mind). They react to the financial reality rather than be pro-active. I find little to criticize even it Ty Law believes otherwise.

Yeah, Nah, sorry. Not taking any advice from a player over a coach like BB.

Players in general don't have a clue what goes into running a team in an era like this one.

Is he referring to the same Logan Mankins that was not on the '14 SB Championship team and never won a SB while he was on the team? :shrug:

I often scratch my head over moves from this team, but how many titles were they supposed to win? I mean damn they won 4 in 15 years.

Sounds like Ty is still a little butthurt to me

Law went on to elaborate, "The worst move he ever made was not paying me a hillion jillion dollars when i was coming off a lisfranc injury after a sb they won mostly without my help. wait, wut??" #nevermind

Ty Law: Belichick’s personnel approach has cost Patriots championships

Posted by Michael David Smith

Law won three Super Bowl rings with the Patriots before Belichick cut him in a salary-cap move. The Patriots then went nine years without winning a Super Bowl. Would the Patriots have won another title if Law had been in New England?
?????? Wasn't Ty Law on IR for the 2004 superbowl?

I suppose it sounds better to say Ty Law won three superbowls than to say the Pats won it with Hank Poteat and Earthwind Moreland.

And BB cut him in part because of a Lis Franc injury from the year before that hadn't healed. Salary issues, too, but the injury didn't help.

Bb success over the last 15 years speaks for itself. As a long history of getting rid of star players.

I just noticed that the Law interview was from 2014. Very clever of ESPN/PFT to resurrect an interview that took place prior to the SB49 championship season.

I don't this this paragraph was in the original story, but it's there now. It must have been edited later on:

Law said in a 2014 interview that ESPN aired today that Belichick is too quick to get rid of veteran team leaders, and as a result, the Patriots have lost some playoff games that they could have won with another good player or two.

That's one take on it.

Or, BB's willingness to dump veteran talent earlier than other coaches could be the reason why the Pats have been dominant/SB contenders every season (-2008) since 2001.

This is the old "all in" argument vs the "Keep the cap manageable" argument with a slightly different spin.

Let's say the Pats went "all in" in 05 or 06, then had to make massive cuts to get back under the cap, pushing the team to also ran status for at least 2 or 3 years. During this 2 or 3 years Brady gets frustrated or broken and then you're in full rebuild mode.

There is never any guarantee in the all in strategy. Injuries and bad bounces still happen.

Belechick keeps the Pats in the running every single year, and you can't win it if you ain't in it.

Law's viewpoint seems extremely narrow minded. Especially when you consider prior to 2014 the Pats had made it to two SBs and lost by narrow margins. Whose to say if a vet here or there would have made a difference? They were championship caliber teams which the Pats have fielded pretty much every season that Bill and Brady have been together. Every run has an element of luck to it as well and still the Pats have 4 rings in 15 years. An unbelievable feat in the toughest era of football to sustain continual success.

The worst decision BB ever made that might have indeed cost them a SB appearance was the screw up with Branch in 06. That one hurt.

?????? Wasn't Ty Law on IR for the 2004 superbowl?

I suppose it sounds better to say Ty Law won three superbowls than to say the Pats won it with Hank Poteat and Earthwind Moreland.

And BB cut him in part because of a Lis Franc injury from the year before that hadn't healed. Salary issues, too, but the injury didn't help.

Speaking of those 2, when are they HOF elligible? 2017??? :shrug_n:

Back