Belichick?s personnel approach has cost Patriots championships

The worst decision BB ever made that might have indeed cost them a SB appearance was the screw up with Branch in 06. That one hurt.

That was as much on Branch as it was on Belichick, however. Tough to put that whole thing on the GM.

I think the same year as Randall Gay. He DID keep T.O. out of the EZ.

Also, Troy Brown played CB that year, Ty.

Great points, HS.

Troy was surprisingly decent at CB.

Branch wanted more $ while under contract so that part is on him, but BB/personnel dept are the ones who handled the situation wrong. They should have just let him sit like they did with Mankins.

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Great points, HS.

Troy was surprisingly decent at CB.
Didn't he lead the team in INTS in 05? I think so.

(Honestly I don't know how some of you remember such specific things that happened so long ago.)

Speaking only for myself, it's because I don't have any room devoted to draft knowledge and my job isn't that mentally taxing so I have some space for rent, while your brain is busting with that information along with the voluminous information you need for your profession so you don't have room. :toast:

I just noticed that the Law interview was from 2014. Very clever of ESPN/PFT to resurrect an interview that took place prior to the SB49 championship season.

I don't this this paragraph was in the original story, but it's there now. It must have been edited later on:

typical BSpn trash. Looking to grab the clicks with often misquotes or old news.

The worst decision BB ever made that might have indeed cost them a SB appearance was the screw up with Branch in 06. That one hurt.

Branch wanted 7 mil a year, at that time, that was huge money for a receiver. BB has never given much to receivers, so it was not abnormal, he just did not replace him with much, but that too, was not abnormal.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

lol. I got that from :bow:Spacecrime here so thanks SC! :toast: The incomparable Earthwind Moreland & Hank Poteat...their names make me laugh.
:bow: HS added Randall Gay and Troy Brown to those who played CB while Ty Law was out with his lis Franc injury. (Honestly I don't know how some of you remember such specific things that happened so long ago.)

That year I think we were so good up front that you and I could have played corner and won.

Branch wanted 7 mil a year, at that time, that was huge money for a receiver. BB has never given much to receivers, so it was not abnormal, he just did not replace him with much, but that too, was not abnormal..

I'll go one further. He's only ever paid a WR that much money once, ever, and it happens to be one of the GOATs, and that was only for 3 years.

I loved Deion Branch, but I'm not dumb enough to compare him to 'in his prime' Randy Moss. Nope. :coffee:

Speaking only for myself, it's because I don't have any room devoted to draft knowledge and my job isn't that mentally taxing so I have some space for rent, while your brain is busting with that information along with the voluminous information you need for your profession so you don't have room. :toast:

Nah...it's the scotch for me. popcorn

Branch should have never gotten the SB MVP over Brady. He had the double digit catches but no TDs. And Branch admitted it was his fault that he did not come back with Pats in '06. He said that back in 2010 when we resigned him after letting Moss go. A few years with Matt Hasselbeck will do that to you.

Jerry and friends on WEEI are discussing the ESPN piece which was a follow up discussion on the Chandler trade. They are saying that ESPN used old on air reports and edited them to make this report seem current including a reference to Welker leaving that was not in the story when it first aired 3 years ago.

Regarding this Law clip, they never mentioned that it was from 2 years ago.

The integrity at ESPN continues.......

Branch should have never gotten the SB MVP over Brady. He had the double digit catches but no TDs. And Branch admitted it was his fault that he did not come back with Pats in '06. He said that back in 2010 when we resigned him after letting Moss go. A few years with Matt Hasselbeck will do that to you.

I'll have to go dig that up on Branch saying it was his fault (I do think he has blame, just not all of it). I love Matt H, and he was still an excellent Qb then. I think the issue there was the offense didn't fit his skills as much.

My SB MVPS would have been in order of the Sbs: TB (ridiculous cool under pressure for a dude starting in the teens in games up to that point), Vrabel (caught a TD forced a fumble that led to the first Pats score), Rodney (McPicks, what can I say?), TB ( epic, historical, never been done 4th Q)

I'll have to go dig that up on Branch saying it was his fault (I do think he has blame, just not all of it). I love Matt H, and he was still an excellent Qb then. I think the issue there was the offense didn't fit his skills as much.

My SB MVPS would have been in order of the Sbs: TB (ridiculous cool under pressure for a dude starting in the teens in games up to that point), Vrabel (caught a TD forced a fumble that led to the first Pats score), Rodney (McPicks, what can I say?), TB ( epic, historical, never been done 4th Q)

Here is the story from King.

Peter King On Deion Branch Leaving New England: 'In Hindsight, It Was An Idiotic Move'
http://boston.sbnation.com/new-engl...patriots-tom-brady-peter-king-leaving-idiotic

The only trade I see that could have cost us the Super Bowl was Richard Seymour trade. I really truly believe that may have caused one Superbowl. Overall though I felt like long-term it was a smart move. I just feel BB let go Richard one year too early.

The only trade I see that could have cost us the Super Bowl was Richard Seymour trade. I really truly believe that may have caused one Superbowl. Overall though I felt like long-term it was a smart move. I just feel BB let go Richard one year too early.

The '09 team was far from a true contender, so I'm not sure how much of a difference Seymour would have made.

Back