Brady not going to settle

Those articles were from back in Jan when all we had was the bogus Anderson report that the balls were 2 lbs under which painted the Pats guilt. Since then Brady won the SB in historic fashion and then the pile of poop that is the Wells report came out and underscored for everyone that the league was on a witch hunt and it nabbed Brady as its witch.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...fcbaa6-1456-11e5-89f3-61410da94eb1_story.html

Why Roger Goodell might be in tough spot on Tom Brady suspension

By Sally Jenkins Columnist June 17 at 11:04 AM

Tom Brady is said to be seeking total exoneration, and it appears he’s entitled to it. The idea that Brady and the New England Patriots intentionally deflated footballs for a competitive advantage has been discredited by everyone from sidewalk chemists to Web physicists to unlicensed ceramicists, not to mention your own common sense. But most importantly, it is utterly shredded in a new scientific analysis by the American Enterprise Institute, which shows the only inflation problem is in NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s head.

The NFL paid millions for a fundamentally flawed report by lawyer Ted Wells that made Brady and the Patriots out to be slam-dunk guilty, based on more than 100 pages of mathematical analysis of ball pressurization . . . that turns out to erroneous. The AEI’s report totally rejects the finding that the footballs used by the Patriots in the AFC Championship had a significant drop in air pressure compared to the Colts. But the truly damning sentence is this one, buried in its erudite phrasings and equations: “The Wells report’s statistical analysis cannot be replicated by performing the analysis as described in the report,” the AEI concludes.

Translated into normal English: The math didn’t add up. It’s a standard principle in science: If you can’t replicate a set of results, then there is a problem with them. A flaw or a fraud is at work. Either you made a mistake, or you made it up.

When the AEI analysts looked more closely at how such a mistake could have been made, what they found “astonished” them, says the report’s co-author Stan Veuger. The Wells report “relies on an unorthodox statistical procedure at odds with the methodology the report describes.” Translation: The Wells report said it would use one equation, but then used a different (and weird) equation to arrive at its numbers.

“It was really clumsy,” Veuger says. “It’s the kind of mistake you’d see in freshman statistics class.”

Another plain English phrase possibly applies to all of this:

Falsifying results.

Normally, these “special counsel” reports are airtight documents. They’re meant to give sports leagues an unshakeable legal basis for discipline and protect league integrity. The report by Major League Baseball on Pete Rose’s gambling was an unassailable document of 215 pages that included 313 witnesses and seven volumes of exhibits, including bank and phone records, and transcripts of interviews, that made it impossible for Rose to fight his banishment. But lately the NFL has begun turning these special counsel investigations into manipulated campaigns calculated to enhance the commissioner’s profile and powers.

And they seem to be written to fit predetermined conclusions.

Twice now Goodell has ginned up false scandals that seriously and unfairly targeted individual players, and damaged franchises, on what turned out to be bogus or flawed evidence. Forget his bungled handling of Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice — at least those guys actually did something wrong. In the Deflategate and Bountygate affairs, Goodell hammered people who appear to have done nothing.

The AEI’s entry into Deflategate is important, because the institute was a major factor in righting the Goodell-driven injustice in Bountygate back in 2012. The Commissioner went all hanging judge on the New Orleans Saints, suspending several officials and players for a supposed bonuses system to injure opponents between 2009-2011. But then AEI analyzed injury data — something that surely the commissioner should have done. The AEI found that the Saints injured fewer opposing players than all but two teams in 2009 and all but one from 2009-11. After AEI’s report was presented at an NFL hearing, the suspensions were vacated.

AEI is a conservative think tank that normally doesn’t get into sports issues. But given their experience with Bountygate, the Deflategate case was too inviting. The discussion of ball pressurization in the Wells Report was so contested that Veuger and Kevin Hassett, AEI’s director of economic studies, decided to examine it.

“There was a lot of talk about the report not being good,” Veuger said, “and a fairly big chunk of it was stats analysis and data, and we thought, ‘We might as well look at this one and see if it holds up.’ It’s really hobby.”

Goodell is now in a truly interesting and awkward position. In one week he will hear Brady’s appeal. He has said, “I very much look forward to hearing from Mr. Brady and to considering any new information he may bring to my attention.”

Well, here is a boatload of very inconvenient new information.

Does Goodell stand by the conclusions of the Wells report, dig in and refuse to budge — thus establishing that he’s incapable of fairly considering evidence and is a serial abuser of his powers? Does he try to parse and sidestep the AEI analysis, by claiming that the scientific evidence is just a small part of the case against Brady? Trouble with that is, more than half of the Wells report’s 243 pages is taken up by pressure gauges and pounds-per-square-inch analysis – all of which must be thrown out according to AEI. If the balls weren’t deflated, then what’s left? One e-mail exchange, in which Brady complained that some game balls against the New York Jets were ludicrously overinflated. Is this evidence of ill intent? Hardly. Brady’s solution to the over-inflation was to suggest the refs check the rulebook. Not the act of a cheater.

Or does Goodell do the right thing and rescind Brady’s suspension on the basis of the new info in the AEI report — thus admitting that the league spent millions on a railroading farce? There is trouble for Goodell in this option too, because it suggests that the league office under Goodell’s leadership is either incapable of executing a proper investigation, or unwilling to.

The AEI analysis suggests that NFL Players Association Director DeMaurice Smith was right when he said the Wells report “delivered exactly what the client wanted.” It suggests that this wasn’t an investigation; it was a frame job by the commissioner’s office desperate to reestablish its authority.

Brady may or may not win his appeal. But there is one sure loser here, trapped in a box of his own making: the commissioner.

Suggs is alright by me.

Aaron Wilson - The Baltimore Sun - Dec. 7 said:
Terrell Suggs' longtime girlfriend claimed in a protective order filed last month that the Ravens' Pro Bowl outside linebacker punched her in the neck and drove a car containing their two children at a "high rate of speed" while she was being dragged alongside.

The reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year has since been ordered to turn over seven guns, including an AK-47, according to a temporary protective order granted by the Baltimore County Circuit Court. Suggs does not face criminal charges related to the alleged early September incident.

Candace Williams filed the temporary protective order requesting that Suggs not abuse, threaten, harass or contact her, according to the document obtained by The Baltimore Sun on Friday.

Williams filed the order on Nov. 20, a day after Suggs filed a custody complaint alleging Williams had endangered the children on multiple occasions.

"I'm fully aware of the content of her complaint," Suggs' attorney, Warren Alperstein, said. "Terrell has fully complied with the court order. There has been absolutely no finding by any court that Mr. Suggs committed any wrongdoing. As it stands now, this is a temporary order that we are confident will favorably resolve for Mr. Suggs in the very near future."

Ravens director of team security Darren Sanders denied that Suggs' firearms included an AK-47, but he confirmed that one of the guns was a shotgun.

Under state law, a judge is authorized to order someone to surrender firearms if they find there are reasonable grounds to believe the person seeking a protective order has been abused. It is not a finding of guilt and the other party does not have to be present at the hearing.

"In this case, no allegations have been made that any weapon has ever been used," Alperstein said. "Terrell continues to deny the allegations."

Attorneys for Williams declined to comment Thursday.

Suggs issued the following statement Friday through his publicist: "My fiance and I have two beautiful children together whom we both love and care for tremendously. The personal issues that the two of us have faced recently have been addressed in a responsible and adult manner and have been resolved. I am certain that we will get through this matter and move forward as a happy family."

Ravens coach John Harbaugh had nothing to say Friday about the legal situation involving Suggs, saying: "It's a personal matter."

Baltimore County police said two calls to 911 were placed from Suggs' address on Nov. 21, though no reports were taken. Under the protective order, Williams was granted exclusive use of a 2008 Hummer and Suggs was ordered to pay emergency family maintenance in the amount of $40,000 per month, starting Nov. 20, at the office of her lawyer, Charles E. Brooks.

In Suggs' complaint against Williams asking for immediate custody of the couple's son and daughter, he alleged that she is verbally abusive to the children, smokes marijuana while they're in the home and utilizes corporal punishment against them.

Suggs added that Williams took the children away from the home just prior to his travel for an away game, saying that to "not inform him of their whereabouts is of grave concern and further evidence of defendant's intention to deny plaintiff access to his children."

In a previous incident involving the pair, Williams alleged that on December 2009 Suggs, "held me down on the floor and poured bleach on me and our son, held me down on the floor and kicked my face and broke my nose. Throughout our relationship since early 2007, he has punched me in the face and stomach and threatened to take the children from me if I left him. He stole my ID so I could not leave."

Williams was granted a protective order, which was later rescinded roughly a month later after the couple reconciled and she dropped a $70 million lawsuit against the NFL star.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20..._custody-complaint-ravens-suggs-terrell-suggs

Their son was 1 year-old at the time.

That walking piece of human filth will never be alright with me. :coffee:

I'd bet the mortgage money that Irsay was the source for Kravitz.

For the football people this was just gamesmanship. Trying to get Brady out of his comfort zone.

Kensil was the source for Irsay, who was the source for Kravitz. Grigson was the patsy in case shit went down.

Great read.

A quite amazing read....

The AEI’s report totally rejects the finding that the footballs used by the Patriots in the AFC Championship had a significant drop in air pressure compared to the Colts. But the truly damning sentence is this one, buried in its erudite phrasings and equations: “The Wells report’s statistical analysis cannot be replicated by performing the analysis as described in the report,” the AEI concludes.

Translated into normal English: The math didn’t add up. It’s a standard principle in science: If you can’t replicate a set of results, then there is a problem with them. A flaw or a fraud is at work. Either you made a mistake, or you made it up.

Slowly, this thing is turning in that the main stream media are now realising this is a total load of BS. Non-Patriot biased media are calling this thing what it is. The likes of ESPN of course will come kicking and screaming very late to Planet Reality, but eventually even they will have to call it the way it is.

A
The likes of ESPN of course will come kicking and screaming very late to Planet Reality, but eventually even they will have to call it the way it is.
Don't count on it. They will either ignore it or invent something anti-Patriot. That's the beauty of it - they don't need facts, they only need some player or mediot to accuse the Pats of something and they can run with it.

They might beat up on Goodell, but they won't ever say the Pats were innocent, only that the NFL screwed up the investigation

A quite amazing read....

Slowly, this thing is turning in that the main stream media are now realising this is a total load of BS. Non-Patriot biased media are calling this thing what it is. The likes of ESPN of course will come kicking and screaming very late to Planet Reality, but eventually even they will have to call it the way it is.

Don't count on it. They will either ignore it or invent something anti-Patriot. That's the beauty of it - they don't need facts, they only need some player or mediot to accuse the Pats of something and they can run with it.

They might beat up on Goodell, but they won't ever say the Pats were innocent, only that the NFL screwed up the investigation

spacecrime is correct. Most of the mediots have their opinions firmly formed and won't budge. I made the mistake of leaving 98.5 on my car radio so when I turned it on this afternoon, I was immediately greeted by the douche and his chihuahua discussing the article. I should have known better, but I listened for about 5 minutes. Their take was that she has it out for Goodell, it doesn't matter if the science in the Wells report was incorrect, you can't take back the texts and emails. Of course, they'll never acknowledge that if the balls were never tampered with, then the fuzzy context of those items becomes even more fuzzy as to make them useless.

At that point, I saved my sanity and switched to Jerry and friends on WEEI.

spacecrime is correct. Most of the mediots have their opinions firmly formed and won't budge. I made the mistake of leaving 98.5 on my car radio so when I turned it on this afternoon, I was immediately greeted by the douche and his chihuahua discussing the article. I should have known better, but I listened for about 5 minutes. Their take was that she has it out for Goodell, it doesn't matter if the science in the Wells report was incorrect, you can't take back the texts and emails. Of course, they'll never acknowledge that if the balls were never tampered with, then the fuzzy context of those items becomes even more fuzzy as to make them useless.

At that point, I saved my sanity and switched to Jerry and friends on WEEI.

I just can't do it. Felger's voice is so smarmy that I want to ram the car in front of me when he talks. He's despicable.

The biggest take I've gotten from the AEI conclusions and from today's Washington Post article is that the science from Exponent's experiments cannot be replicated. Science is based on the fact that if you can do it once, you have to be able to do it again and get the same results.

So Exponent produced a faulty report. Or worse. They were fraudulent. The fact that Goodell is backing Wells' hired guns after virtually every reputable scientist, physicist, chemist in this country and elsewhere has refuted their findings is simply mind-blowing.

While some say that he has to let Brady take this to court so he can turn around to the 31 owners and say, well, I did my best, I say he should take the hit now and say, look, I have to go by the hundreds of reports of experiments that have come out, I have to go by AEI's statistical analysis, and I have to use my own judgment here, after looking, reading, and hearing everything from everyone and admit that we've made an error and end this now. I did what I thought was best for the league, but it didn't end being better for the league. THAT is his best course of action. Nobody can fault him for saying that.

Never gonna happen, of course.

I just can't do it. Felger's voice is so smarmy that I want to ram the car in front of me when he talks. He's despicable.

The biggest take I've gotten from the AEI conclusions and from today's Washington Post article is that the science from Exponent's experiments cannot be replicated. Science is based on the fact that if you can do it once, you have to be able to do it again and get the same results.

So Exponent produced a faulty report. Or worse. They were fraudulent. The fact that Goodell is backing Wells' hired guns after virtually every reputable scientist, physicist, chemist in this country and elsewhere has refuted their findings is simply mind-blowing.

While some say that he has to let Brady take this to court so he can turn around to the 31 owners and say, well, I did my best, I say he should take the hit now and say, look, I have to go by the hundreds of reports of experiments that have come out, I have to go by AEI's statistical analysis, and I have to use my own judgment here, after looking, reading, and hearing everything from everyone and admit that we've made an error and end this now. I did what I thought was best for the league, but it didn't end being better for the league. THAT is his best course of action. Nobody can fault him for saying that.

I totally agree with you but the now exponentially increasing factual evidence should be more alarming to Goodell now for him to find some way out of this poison dart heading right for him and the NFL. If he does not totally exonerate or lift all 4 2015 games suspension for TFB on June 23, then I believe the NFL will be in a world of hurt. And believe me, I hope it goes in that direction because this is such a trumped-up charge, bogus penalty and the NFL deserves what they get, IMHO.

I don't want to nick pick but the experiments can be replicated. They actually use the findings of those experiments from the report to prove the inaccuracy of the statistical analysis. It's the statistically analysis of those experiments which can't be replicated in the way the report is written. Which is even more faulty, AEI came up just short of saying fraudulent. Basically saying the information was twisted in favor of the NFL finding the Pats and Brady guilty. I do like the fact that they say both aren't guilty too.

As for Goodell he's so entrenched in this there is now good way out for him or the league. I would be interested if he did go the way you suggest do the Pats and Brady go after the league and the Colts front office behind closed doors? I know others had said, well this was just gamesmanship that may have been true to start. Once they (the colts equipment manager) stuck a gauge into the pats ball, and then they leaked the info to Kravitz, it's no longer gamesmanship at that point IMHO. Whose to say the Ravens weren't involved and Ozzie says I'll go public with all the secrets from the Rice case if you involve my coach? To many inconsistency about the behind the scenes stuff.

As for the AEI report and fans/haters say it's BS they never take into consideration the texts, and those prove something shady was going on. Then they tack on Brady must have known cause he didn't turn over his phone as proof. Unfortunately those who believe that will never except the fact that if the balls lost air pressure do the the gas laws then all the other stuff doesn't matter. So which side does Goodell come out on?

~Dee~

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...fcbaa6-1456-11e5-89f3-61410da94eb1_story.html

Why Roger Goodell might be in tough spot on Tom Brady suspension

Hmmmmm

I think Sally may be a lurker. :harumph:

But the truly damning sentence is this one, buried in its erudite phrasings and equations: “The Wells report’s statistical analysis cannot be replicated by performing the analysis as described in the report,” the AEI concludes.

When the AEI analysts looked more closely at how such a mistake could have been made, what they found “astonished” them, says the report’s co-author Stan Veuger. The Wells report “relies on an unorthodox statistical procedure at odds with the methodology the report describes.” Translation: The Wells report said it would use one equation, but then used a different (and weird) equation to arrive at its numbers.

Here's the AEI Report they mention in this article.

This part caught my eye.

Our findings are as follows. First, the Wells report contains sufficient data to explore the question of whether the Patriots deflated their footballs using statistical techniques. Second, the Wells report’s statistical analysis cannot be replicated by performing the analysis as described in the report. Third, the Wells report’s results can (for the most part) be replicated when we use a different, flawed modeling approach that fundamentally differs from the approach described in the report. Fourth, the Wells report failed to recognize the importance of the logical link between two of its areas of inquiry: whether the Patriots balls were deflated more than the Colts balls, and whether the Patriots balls were at a pressure that could be explained without recourse to wrongdoing by the Patriots.​

And this

Does Goodell stand by the conclusions of the Wells report, dig in and refuse to budge — thus establishing that he’s incapable of fairly considering evidence and is a serial abuser of his powers? Does he try to parse and sidestep the AEI analysis, by claiming that the scientific evidence is just a small part of the case against Brady? Trouble with that is, more than half of the Wells report’s 243 pages is taken up by pressure gauges and pounds-per-square-inch analysis – all of which must be thrown out according to AEI. If the balls weren’t deflated, then what’s left? One e-mail exchange, in which Brady complained that some game balls against the New York Jets were ludicrously overinflated. Is this evidence of ill intent? Hardly. Brady’s solution to the over-inflation was to suggest the refs check the rulebook. Not the act of a cheater.

Or does Goodell do the right thing and rescind Brady’s suspension on the basis of the new info in the AEI report — thus admitting that the league spent millions on a railroading farce? There is trouble for Goodell in this option too, because it suggests that the league office under Goodell’s leadership is either incapable of executing a proper investigation, or unwilling to.

The AEI analysis suggests that NFL Players Association Director DeMaurice Smith was right when he said the Wells report “delivered exactly what the client wanted.” It suggests that this wasn’t an investigation; it was a frame job by the commissioner’s office desperate to reestablish its authority.

Brady may or may not win his appeal. But there is one sure loser here, trapped in a box of his own making: the commissioner.​

As I've said elsewhere, I would be surprised if Goodell doesn't double down on this.

To do otherwise would mean the following.

1) The NFL was, at best, completely incompetent, at worse malicious, in how it handled this investigation. So it's hard to understand how they acted in a way that would ensure that they protected "the integrity of the game®"

2) There is plenty of evidence that no one in the NFL has particularly cared about the psi of footballs before this incident, so it is hard to understand how this constitutes an affront to "the integrity of the game®"

3) The Wells report dismissed any and all issues with how the NFL offices behaved in this affair, and so if he tosses out the report, those questions can be put back on the table. Specifically:

• The Mortensen leak that was refuted completely by the Wells report data
  • That the NFL let the Mortensen report go unchallenged for months
  • That the letter to the Pats from the NFL had demonstrably false information, that the NFL never corrected
  • The fundamental question regarding anyone in the NFL office having a desire to "stick it" to the Patriots

4) Wells was handpicked by the NFL to be independent. If his report is accepted as being totally flawed, there are only two real possibilities.

• He is a schmuck. So why the frack did they pick him to conduct such a "critical" investigation?
  • He was doing just what he was instructed to do

I don't see either answer as being good for Goodell.

5) The punishments handed down are so draconian, compared to comparable infractions by other teams, that it raises the question: Why?

How does Goodell justify such punishment if he admits the report that is the basis for it is so obviously flawed? Is he that much of an idiot that he would impose such massive penalties from such flimsy evidence?

What does this say about his role as an enforcer in the future? How will owners and players accept his ability to be the sheriff if he demonstrates such clear poor judgement?

So if Goodell, tosses Wells under the bus, he's at best admitting that he totally screwed the pooch, is a complete idiot, and isn't entitled to have the wide leeway as enforcer that he presently has.

The alternative is that he allowed petty individuals in the NFL office to get their "revenge" on the GOAT and an innocent team.

No, I don't think Rodger will like either of those two alternatives and will prefer to stay the course and hope it doesn't mean he has to go down with the ship.

Hmmmmm

I think Sally may be a lurker. :harumph:

But the truly damning sentence is this one, buried in its erudite phrasings and equations: “The Wells report’s statistical analysis cannot be replicated by performing the analysis as described in the report,” the AEI concludes.

And this

Brady may or may not win his appeal. But there is one sure loser here, trapped in a box of his own making: the commissioner.​

Well I started that :harumph:o:)

~Dee~

When this is over Goodell has to go. He gets absolutely nothing right and he just wasted 5 million dollars....

5 million for 103 days of work.
He made a little more then $48,500 a day:eek:
For a report some tore down in a couple of days for free

~Dee~

Perfect, and not from a Boston Paper or a "Pats" web site, and a total :jerkit: to Goodell

The haters are now busy trying to tear her down. Some hack site is using her support of Lance Armstrong as evidence that she's not impartial and she's misguided.

Also, Curran thinks that more attacks against Wells, K.ensil and Grigson are coming in the days leading up to the appeal next Tuesday.

While nothing AEI or Sally Jenkins have said here surprises me, I'm thinking that anybody that thinks Goodell is phased by any of this or is planning on laying down his arms and sending Tom a nice Hallmark "I'm sorry" card then they should all think again.

The Commissioner of the NFL is basically a madman. He's going to put his spin doctors to work and find a way to minimize the science aspects of it and push the suspension based on non-cooperation and the far-ranging power granted him by the current by-laws and CBA and he will continue to flex and preen for the masses like everything has already been proven.

Brady might ultimately have his suspension reversed, but it won't come easily and Roger is going to do everything in his power to make it a long and painful process.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Rob Ninkovich is next in his crosshairs for flipping the bird at the ring ceremony. Whatever the current record for penalties is for a DE/LB then I'm taking Nink and the over.

That is one aspect to the coming season I haven't seen discussed at all. Would Roger have his henchmen calling a ridiculous number of penalties on the Pats? I wouldn't be shocked if we see evidence of that.

While nothing AEI or Sally Jenkins have said here surprises me, I'm thinking that anybody that thinks Goodell is phased by any of this or is planning on laying down his arms and sending Tom a nice Hallmark "I'm sorry" card then they should all think again.

The Commissioner of the NFL is basically a madman. He's going to put his spin doctors to work and find a way to minimize the science aspects of it and push the suspension based on non-cooperation and the far-ranging power granted him by the current by-laws and CBA and he will continue to flex and preen for the masses like everything has already been proven.

Brady might ultimately have his suspension reversed, but it won't come easily and Roger is going to do everything in his power to make it a long and painful process.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Rob Ninkovich is next in his crosshairs for flipping the bird at the ring ceremony. Whatever the current record for penalties is for a DE/LB then I'm taking Nink and the over.

That is one aspect to the coming season I haven't seen discussed at all. Would Roger have his henchmen calling a ridiculous number of penalties on the Pats? I wouldn't be shocked if we see evidence of that.

I totally agree with this, and that''s why I am still pissed that Kraft bent over.

Nothing short of total victory (a complete clean out of the league orifice) would correct the real problem. Make no mistake, Roger has to go and the owners as a group need to reassert control over the Commish.

And to all the dipshits rebelling the the "Cheatriots" getting their comeuppance, just remember they are coming for you next, unless your a Jests fan because that franchise will never be good enough to bring down.

Back