DE Derek Rivers lost for season with knee injury

Mr NFLfan

Reaction score
I live where the men are men and the sheep are ner
The New England Patriots fear they have lost rookie defensive end Derek Rivers for the entire season due to a knee injury, league sources told ESPN on Friday.

Rivers, who was New England's top pick in the 2017 NFL draft as a third-round choice out of Youngstown State, went down on a kickoff coverage drill Wednesday in a joint practice with the Houston Texans. Head athletic trainer Jim Whalen examined Rivers' left knee on the field.

With that practice taking place at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, before the Patriots traveled to Houston for a preseason game Saturday, the club had Rivers fly back to Boston for more tests. Those tests reinforced the team's initial fear of a season-ending knee injury.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-fear-de-derek-rivers-lost-season-knee-injury

Well, Willie McGinest looks like he can still lace them up...

Pretty depleted at DE. Ninko ain't coming back. Looks like another BB waiver wire special will arise.

Very unfortunate.

Jared Odrick and Dwight Freeney are still FAs.

David Harris isn't turning out as I had hoped. He can play vs the run but he's shown he's a liability in coverage. QBs will take advantage of him on 1st and 2nd downs making him cover RBs and TEs just as they did Jerod Mayo. Hightower can play Edge so BB has a decision to make in replacing Rivers. He either signs a LB more versatile than Harris & Hightower plays Edge or he signs an Edge veteran and Hightower plays LB. It's possible BB stays pat if he thinks Roberts, McClellin, Jonathan Freeny or Trevor Bates will come through at LB. IBIT.

Chris Price says "his injury increases the expectations on the likes of veteran Trey Flowers and newcomer Kony Ealy, as well as rookie Deatrich Wise. (Wise is expected back sooner rather than later after suffering a head injury in the preseason opener against Jacksonville.) There are also other internal possibilities in linebacker Shea McClellin, who has occasionally worked as an edge defender while with the Bears a few years ago. Rookie Harvey Langi has gotten some reps on the edge in camp. And Geneo Grissom and Caleb Kidder could also see an uptick in opportunities as a result of Rivers’ injury.
One other possibility? Signing a veteran pass rusher like a Dwight Freeney, Jared Odrick or Paul Kruger, all three of who are still on the market."
https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2017/08/18/reported-injury-derek-rivers-mean-pass-rush/

I'm not a Kruger fan. Freeney did a great job for Atlanta in the SB.

Everyone told me DE isn't a concern, though. :coffee:

I wasn't expecting a whole lot of reps nor production from Rivers this year but missing, all important, development time for him sure sucks. He's young so hopefully he physically recovers well moving forward.

Time to sign Freeney or one of the available vets. Just way too thin at this position at this point.

For some fvcking reson the Patriots always have trouble finding or keeping pass rushers...:banghead:

Time to sign Freeney or one of the available vets. Just way too thin at this position at this point.

Enough with Dwight Freeney already.

If you want to crack this roster, you're going to have to contribute more than 15 snaps a game.

Enough with Dwight Freeney already.

If you want to crack this roster, you're going to have to contribute more than 15 snaps a game.

8-10 snaps/game is about the most Rivers would have played and that's what is being replaced. After giving it a little more thought, I believe it's more likely that the available guys each play an extra 2-3 snaps/game on average than it is for a veteran to be signed as a replacement. BB still needs to find out what Ealy, Langi, Wise, Grissom et al can do as Edge players.

On the bright side, Rivers' injury is buying some time for Ealy and Grissom to prove their worth. Their train out of Foxboro has been delayed for now pending their upcoming performances.

8-10 snaps/game is about the most Rivers would have played and that's what is being replaced. After giving it a little more thought, I believe it's more likely that the available guys each play an extra 2-3 snaps/game on average than it is for a veteran to be signed as a replacement. BB still needs to find out what Ealy, Langi, Wise, Grissom et al can do as Edge players.

I dunno, I like your logic. If BB is looking to replace Rivers' 8-10 snaps a game, and Freeney is willing to come aboard for cheap money in exchange for a final playing season with BB and Brady and a possible ring, I say it's an excellent move. I'd rather have an ancient Freeney for those 8-10 snaps than anyone else available. BB would definitely put him in the best position to utilize those 8-10 snaps for maximum effect.

I dunno, I like your logic. If BB is looking to replace Rivers' 8-10 snaps a game, and Freeney is willing to come aboard for cheap money in exchange for a final playing season with BB and Brady and a possible ring, I say it's an excellent move. I'd rather have an ancient Freeney for those 8-10 snaps than anyone else available. BB would definitely put him in the best position to utilize those 8-10 snaps for maximum effect.

Freeney looked good in the Super Bowl. I mean if we signed Harris, I don't see why we could not carve out a role for Freeney.

Freeney looked good in the Super Bowl. I mean if we signed Harris, I don't see why we could not carve out a role for Freeney.

Freeney was paid $2M for 2016 by the Falcons as a 36 year old. He had 7 tackles & 3 sacks in the reg season. He's 37 now. Perspective.

Freeney was paid $2M for 2016 by the Falcons as a 36 year old. He had 7 tackles & 3 sacks in the reg season. He's 37 now. Perspective.

#1, we wouldn't pay him $2M.

#2, "perspective" is, "Is Freeney better for 8-10 snaps a game than whoever else they would throw out there?"

If the answer to #2 is an easy "yes", and they can get him for a lot cheaper money than what Atlanta gave him, why not? There's a reason the dude's sitting around right now. I doubt he'd be dumb enough, if Belichick called, to say, "I want two mill." If he is, well... enjoy retirement.

Back