Divisional Round - Chiefs at Patriots 1/16 4:35pm (CBS)

Eh, on the contrary, I think I know what we're getting from the Patriots. A better, more fluid offense, which will be up against a stifling secondary. If that d-line is healthy enough, that could cause problems.

But you're going to see lots of Diet Vereen, Chandler will get an opportunity or two, and if they can break enough tendencies, I think they'll score, at least some.

I just don't see how Kansas City scores, all things being equal.

Diet Vereen? Is that White Flour?

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Christopher Price Verified account ‏<s>@</s>cpriceNFL <small class="time">https://twitter.com/cpriceNFL/status/686956423549423618 </small> Dion Lewis just strolled through the Patriots locker room.

:frown:

Strolled...or walked?

Looks like Vollmer still has a noticeable limp, but at least he's jogging on it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Video: OT Sebastian Vollmer, who hasn't played since spraining his left ankle Dec. 27, lightly jogs with teammates. <a href="https://t.co/dYojz6QoAb">pic.twitter.com/dYojz6QoAb</a></p>— Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/686970157491732480">January 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Anyone counting on Vollmer to go the distance is setting themselves up for disappointment, IMO. I think he'll be out of the game by the 3rd quarter.

The only thing that makes me nervous about this game is the Pats O-line and how they're going to deal with KCs pass rush. This team lives off of turnovers, generates field position off of it, and capitalizes on them. Their offense doesn't scare anyone, but they're still a good team in 2/3rds of the game and that makes them dangerous.

That 2010 Divisional game against the Jets is still fresh in my mind and I can see KC using a similar strategy. If the Patriots offense takes care of the football, and can block their front 7 the Pats should be in good shape. In my mind, this game is all about keeping Brady upright, maintaining field position, and getting off the field quickly on the defensive side of the ball. If KC gets a consistent pass rush, it could be a long day.

The Scar sighting and his virtual bursting at the seams instead of "no comment" gives me hope.

Eh, on the contrary, I think I know what we're getting from the Patriots. A better, more fluid offense, which will be up against a stifling secondary. If that d-line is healthy enough, that could cause problems.

But you're going to see lots of Diet Vereen, Chandler will get an opportunity or two, and if they can break enough tendencies, I think they'll score, at least some.

I just don't see how Kansas City scores, all things being equal.

One bright spot is that Diet Vereen (I have a feeling a nickname is born) has made a few big plays when virtually everybody else was fizzling or MIA. The man has his limitations, but open space is his forte and I think he could be utilized in ways that we've yet to see. Particularly if Jewish Lightning (that one didn't really catch on) is getting plenty of attention.

If there is anybody happier to see him back in the lineup than Brady than it should be either Amendola or DV. Hell, thrown in LaFellDown, too. The whole offense better not rub up against any walls because their nipples might snap off.

The Chandler comment was unfortunate, though. I can't envision him getting any trust at this point. He's an option of last resort. I like the concept of doing something different, but I'm not sure we're going to see a return to Scott Chandler: Secret Deep Threat Weapon anytime soon.

One bright spot is that Diet Vereen (I have a feeling a nickname is born) has made a few big plays when virtually everybody else was fizzling or MIA. The man has his limitations, but open space is his forte and I think he could be utilized in ways that we've yet to see. Particularly if Jewish Lightning (that one didn't really catch on) is getting plenty of attention.

If there is anybody happier to see him back in the lineup than Brady than it should be either Amendola or DV. Hell, thrown in LaFellDown, too. The whole offense better not rub up against any walls because their nipples might snap off.

The Chandler comment was unfortunate, though. I can't envision him getting any trust at this point. He's an option of last resort. I like the concept of doing something different, but I'm not sure we're going to see a return to Scott Chandler: Secret Deep Threat Weapon anytime soon.

If he's wide open (Chandler), I promise you, he'll get a pass or two, early. Hell, he got 23 heaves up the sideline in Denver, right?

And I thought the settled nickname on Edelman was White Wes Welker?

DNP:
Hali (precaution)
Houston (precaution)
Ware (ankle)
Morse (concussion)
LDT (concussion)
Maclin (ankle)

Reid did note that Maclin is making really good progress....

DNP:
Hali (precaution)
Houston (precaution)
Ware (ankle)
Morse (concussion)
LDT (concussion)
Maclin (ankle)

Reid did note that Maclin is making really good progress....

After only 3 days too.....:coffee:

FOXBORO — It was just like they were back in California.
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and wide receiver Julian Edelman broke off into the field house alongside the Gillette Stadium practice fields on multiple occasions in recent weeks to work on Edelman’s conditioning and their chemistry with the route tree.
<aside id="related-content">

</aside>They’ve worked on this routine for years. Run a route, get back to the line and run another. Up and down the field. Over and over again.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...lman_gets_back_in_sync_with_tom_brady_offense

Big Chiefs fan, big Patriots hater, but realistic football guy.

The homer in me thinks the Chiefs are the more talented team in this game. The Pats have suffered some injuries and I think the only way they can move the ball on offense is if Edelman or Amendola are healthy. As a big fantasy guy who drafts a lot of Patriots every year, I watched at least 10 Patriots games in their entirety and the Pats offense just wasn't quite the same (obviously) after Lewis/Edelman suffered their injuries. Before that, I honestly predicted the Pats were going to finally take down that 19-0 as Brady's final **** you to Mr. Goodell.

Can Edelman shake off the rust? I mean, I have to doubt this. If the Chiefs struggle on anything defensively, it's the short passing game. A healthy Edelman would be a huge problem to KC. The Pats have no shot to run on KC and I know they know that. The first Pats game against the Jets I played Brady/Gronk in all of my FanDuel lineups because I knew the Pats knew they weren't running on the Jets and Brady proceeded to chuck 60 passes (with LaFell dropping approximately half of those).

I imagine the game plan, barring terrible/worse than predicted weather, for the Pats will be predicated on their short passing game. Just like how they beat Seattle, that's really the only way to beat KC's defense.

As for the Chiefs offense? You can't game plan for them because you never know what they're going to be. They are generally pretty good for the first few drives, and then, if they get up by 2 scores, they panic, shell up, and become predictable, one-dimensional, and overly cautious.

Now, if the Chiefs do get up multiple scores, especially early, I'd bet my bottom dollar the Pats will make a run and at some point either tie the game or be in position to take the lead. Reid likes to play with fire like that.

If the Chiefs go down multiple scores, at any point? Game is over.

Alex Smith is a very good QB playing with a lead. Alex Smith is about the worst QB in the NFL when he has to become one dimensional and playing from behind by more than 1 score.

It's been 3 years and I'm not quite sure Alex Smith has ever generated a single scoring drive in a 2nd half 2 minute drill in a 1 score game.

This is the 1 game where I think Bill Belichick might actually be confused on how to game plan, though. It's just so hard to game plan our offense because you just never know what Andy Reid is going to do on a week to week basis. I watch this team religiously and I still have no idea what is going to happen.

I will say ... I wish they'd stop featuring Charcandrick West, like, ever. He's good, don't get me wrong ... but Spencer Ware is a flat out beast. He's basically a humble Marshawn Lynch at this point. He's perfect for a cold weather game like this one.

Do you give him bulter single coverage. Match him with Ryan & safety help. He there deep threat . I wouldn't be surprised to Ryan . Get him single coverage because of that ankle injury

He's not going to be healthy and he doesn't want to re-injure that ankle so he won't be running full speed. I think Ryan can handle him with some safety help and leave Butler for their next best receiver, whoever that might be.

Malcom Butler made the greatest defensive play I've ever seen in my life and at the time it was a , "who?!"

Glad to see he's emerged as one of the best DB's in the NFL.

But he doesn't really represent a problem for KC, especially assuming we won't have Maclin.

We rely on receivers about 0% ... all we do is run digs/crossing routes ... bubble screens ... swing passes ... anything that requires the least amount of risk.

I think Belichick actually spies Smith this week ... and would be the first coach to do so this year. Smith is a 2 read guy who is almost ready to run as soon as he snaps the ball.

Unlike magicians like Russell and Aaron who are good at eluding pass rushers and making plays from outside the pocket ... as soon as the pocket breaks down and Alex takes off ... he's not looking to pass. He's looking to run. It worked this year, but I personally hate it.

There is nothing wrong with a dink and dunk offense if ran by intelligent QB's like Brady or Smith. Why Smith will never be Brady is because Brady constantly steps up into the pocket, never panics, and is constantly moving his feet and looking for the open guy.

Smith has happy feet. Smith is a solid NFL QB, but this is 1 of a few things that will prevent him from ever being 1 of the true elites.

why do I hate the Pats?

It's very simple. I'm a Chiefs fan. I'm a Royals fan.

You build up hate, rational or irrational, against other teams/regions that do nothing but win.

...the Royals winning the WS this year has made me a much happier sports fan. So instead of watching this Chiefs team with pure anxiety, I'm actually enjoying everything for once ... since, as a sports fan, the Royals took the weight of the world off my back.

I'm sure there was a time not too long ago where Boston fans might understand this! Like, 1999?

Back