Enough of the Bye Week, the 'Boys are coming to town

He is good because of his instincts. He is practically the brains of the defense/the QB for the defense.

His negative is that he is glass joe. Think the the elijah price character played by samuel l jackson in the film unbreakable.

If he could just be around consistently his growth would increase and his work would be more consistent.

He's not nearly as good as you think he is. He's got better instincts than say, a Troy Polamalu did (who was similarly not very good, actually a lot worse), but he still bites like crazy on playaction and struggles to shed blocks.

He's a pretty good player, who's fast. But he's not nearly as good as the Cowboys make him out to be.

He's not nearly as good as you think he is. He's got better instincts than say, a Troy Polamalu did (who was similarly not very good, actually a lot worse), but he still bites like crazy on playaction and struggles to shed blocks.

He's a pretty good player, who's fast. But he's not nearly as good as the Cowboys make him out to be.

i guess that is up for argument. I'm okay with this. My read on the guy as a lifelong Cowboy fan is that he seems to be the best we have on defensive for the longest (even if he has been injured more than half the time). He has seniority, experience and milage that puts him a level above the others combined with his instincts that have been forged thru his training.

Ive seen moments of shear genius from the guy and some moments of wtf. But again its the best we have. I would not want to argue him in comparison to another person from another team in his position. I'm not sure how I would rank him. He is a strange case. I think if he wasn't so diminished with constant injuries his work/resume would get better because of his instincts. Some of those wrinkles in his work (biting on playaction and shedding blocks) could probably be ironed out a lot more if he played a consistent amount of games. But hard to tell because he hasn't.

classic case of so good but so bad (mainly because he is the glass joe of our team).

sidenote:When he suffers and when the defense suffers greatly in general and when they get over extended is when the offense doesn't do much on the time of possession game which contributes to keeping the defense fresh and on their toes or fatigued and slow. If the defense is out there a lot usually fatigue shows up and can harm any great to good player. 2014 was the first time in a long time ive seen this offense win the T.O.P. battle consistently but mr. glass joe sean lee was out for the season. If he wasn't out for the season our defense would have been a bit better not by much because we still lacked any real pass rusher.

Funny posts on a thread talking about the Lewis extension::D

That's Belichick's best sales pitch to potential Free Agents and even current players when negotiating contracts.

BB: Listen, you do your job and do it well, I'll make sure you get paid.

Player: How can you be so sure coach?

BB: Because you're also talking to the GM.

See when Jerry Jones has these conversations on behalf of my team it never sounds nearly this good....

JJ: Listen, you do your job and do it well, I'll make sure you get paid.

Player: How can you be so sure Jerry?

JJ: Because you're also talking to the GM / Coach / Team Doctor / Head Salesman / P.R. Director / Parking Voucher Verifier

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/3nzj8u/the_patriots_have_signed_rb_dion_lewis_to_a_2year/

i guess that is up for argument. I'm okay with this. My read on the guy as a lifelong Cowboy fan is that he seems to be the best we have on defensive for the longest (even if he has been injured more than half the time). He has seniority, experience and milage that puts him a level above the others combined with his instincts that have been forged thru his training.

Ive seen moments of shear genius from the guy and some moments of wtf. But again its the best we have. I would not want to argue him in comparison to another person from another team in his position. I'm not sure how I would rank him. He is a strange case. I think if he wasn't so diminished with constant injuries his work/resume would get better because of his instincts. Some of those wrinkles in his work (biting on playaction and shedding blocks) could probably be ironed out a lot more if he played a consistent amount of games. But hard to tell because he hasn't.

classic case of so good but so bad (mainly because he is the glass joe of our team).

sidenote:When he suffers and when the defense suffers greatly in general and when they get over extended is when the offense doesn't do much on the time of possession game which contributes to keeping the defense fresh and on their toes or fatigued and slow. If the defense is out there a lot usually fatigue shows up and can harm any great to good player. 2014 was the first time in a long time ive seen this offense win the T.O.P. battle consistently but mr. glass joe sean lee was out for the season. If he wasn't out for the season our defense would have been a bit better not by much because we still lacked any real pass rusher.

Thanks for being reasonable.

Like I said, Lee's a good player who would start for pretty much every team in the league. I just don't think he's Mike Singletary like he's made out to be in the National media. I think McClain's a better overall linebacker when he's motivated to be that. That's the main question with him, and nothing you'd ever need to worry about with Lee, so there's that.

As far as fatigued defenses, that's true of pretty much any defense - including the Patriots, which is why they run way more pressure this year than they have in years past (although that's not a lot).

As far as a pass rusher, Hardy's legit, probably your best pass-rusher since Demarcus Ware - although Hardy is more power to Ware's finesse, he still gets the job done. Also better against the run than Ware, IMO. You can't just run at him like you can most elite pass rushers.

I'm not sure how much pass rushing can get done in 1.98 seconds, but they'll definitely have to account for him.

<form class="nflc-ct-injury-report-form" action="/schedule-and-stats/injury-report?1008" method="post" id="nflc-ct-injury-report-form" accept-charset="UTF-8">
Injury report from Thurs.
</form>

<input autocomplete="off" type="text">
New England

<table style="position: fixed; top: 0px; left: 313.75px; visibility: hidden;" class="sticky-header"><thead style="display: block;"><tr><th>
</th><th>
</th><th>
</th><th>
</th><th>
</th><th>
</th><th>
</th> </tr></thead></table><table class="sticky-col"><thead><tr style="height: 30px;"><th style="width: 144px;" class="stick-this-col">Name</th> </tr></thead><tbody> <tr style="height: 32px;" class="odd"><td class="stick-this-col">Tarell Brown</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 32px;" class="even"><td class="stick-this-col">Bradley Fletcher</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 32px;" class="odd"><td class="stick-this-col">Trey Flowers</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 32px;" class="even"><td class="stick-this-col">Ryan Wendell</td> </tr> </tbody></table><table style="opacity: 0; top: 0px;" class="sticky-intersect"><thead><tr><th style="width: 144px;">Name</th></tr></thead></table><table style="margin: 0px; width: 100%;" class="nflc-sticky-table sticky-enabled tableheader-processed sticky-table"> <thead><tr><th class="stick-this-col">Name</th><th>Position</th><th>Injury</th><th>Wed.</th><th>Thu.</th><th>Fri.</th><th>Game Status</th> </tr></thead> <tbody> <tr class="odd"><td class="stick-this-col">Tarell Brown</td><td>CB</td><td>Foot</td><td>LP</td><td>LP</td><td>N/A</td><td>N/A</td> </tr> <tr class="even"><td class="stick-this-col">Bradley Fletcher</td><td>DB</td><td>Hamstring</td><td>N/A</td><td>LP</td><td>N/A</td><td>N/A</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"><td class="stick-this-col">Trey Flowers</td><td>DE</td><td>Knee/Shoulder</td><td>LP</td><td>LP</td><td>N/A</td><td>N/A</td> </tr> <tr class="even"><td class="stick-this-col">Ryan Wendell</td><td>G</td><td>Illness</td><td>FP</td><td>FP</td><td>N/A</td><td>N/A</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

Dallas

<table style="position: fixed; top: 0px; left: 313.75px; visibility: hidden;" class="sticky-header"><thead style="display: block;"><tr><th>
</th><th>
</th><th>
</th><th>
</th><th>
</th><th>
</th><th>
</th> </tr></thead></table><table class="sticky-col"><thead><tr style="height: 30px;"><th style="width: 150px;" class="stick-this-col">Name</th> </tr></thead><tbody> <tr style="height: 32px;" class="odd"><td class="stick-this-col">Dez Bryant</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 32px;" class="even"><td class="stick-this-col">Brice Butler</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 32px;" class="odd"><td class="stick-this-col">Randy Gregory</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 32px;" class="even"><td class="stick-this-col">James Hanna</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 32px;" class="odd"><td class="stick-this-col">Sean Lee</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 32px;" class="even"><td class="stick-this-col">Andrew Gachkar</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 32px;" class="odd"><td class="stick-this-col">Ryan Russell</td> </tr> </tbody></table><table style="opacity: 0; top: 0px;" class="sticky-intersect"><thead><tr><th style="width: 150px;">Name</th></tr></thead></table><table style="margin: 0px; width: 100%;" class="nflc-sticky-table sticky-enabled tableheader-processed sticky-table"> <thead><tr><th class="stick-this-col">Name</th><th>Position</th><th>Injury</th><th>Wed.</th><th>Thu.</th><th>Fri.</th><th>Game Status</th> </tr></thead> <tbody> <tr class="odd"><td class="stick-this-col">Dez Bryant</td><td>WR</td><td>Foot</td><td>DNP</td><td>DNP</td><td>N/A</td><td>N/A</td> </tr> <tr class="even"><td class="stick-this-col">Brice Butler</td><td>WR</td><td>Hamstring</td><td>DNP</td><td>DNP</td><td>N/A</td><td>N/A</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"><td class="stick-this-col">Randy Gregory</td><td>DE</td><td>Ankle</td><td>DNP</td><td>DNP</td><td>N/A</td><td>N/A</td> </tr> <tr class="even"><td class="stick-this-col">James Hanna</td><td>TE</td><td>Ankle</td><td>DNP</td><td>DNP</td><td>N/A</td><td>N/A</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"><td class="stick-this-col">Sean Lee</td><td>LB</td><td>Concussion</td><td>DNP</td><td>LP</td><td>N/A</td><td>N/A</td> </tr> <tr class="even"><td class="stick-this-col">Andrew Gachkar</td><td>LB</td><td>Foot</td><td>FP</td><td>FP</td><td>N/A</td><td>N/A</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"><td class="stick-this-col">Ryan Russell</td><td>DE</td><td>Groin</td><td>FP</td><td>FP</td><td>N/A</td><td>N/A</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

There is something to be sad for an organization that doesn't have to win, that can go mediocre for a good 19 years and still remain relevant to the haters and the lovers. Dallas can suck and still be more talked about than most teams. Certain teams need to win to be relevant. The reason is because of brand power. Its a mixture of whats on the field and whats off the field (marketing). True the fan base was strengthened during the 70s,80s, and 90s mainly because of SB and championship games and playoff pedigree. However lately most of that is severely lacking as if that's not so obvious. The part that the organization is winning a lot in lately is brand/market (while a number in the fanbase wish it would just be about the field). I feel the organization is trying to get back to winning on the field lately. But it has been disabled for awhile because of the micromanagement of an owner who is also a gm and sometimes faux coach. (There is a push now from inside (stephan jones, jason garrett and will mcclay probably) to build a good foundation of not spending money on washed up old players and move more towards a youth centric movement spending money wisely not be so caviler.)

As for the fanbase... im sure there are stereotypes with any fanbase.

If it weren't for Jerry being such a moron, discussion about Dallas here would be virtually non-existent.

Don't kid yourself; the Cowboys are irrelevant.

There is something to be sad for an organization that doesn't have to win, that can go mediocre for a good 19 years and still remain relevant to the haters and the lovers. Dallas can suck and still be more talked about than most teams. Certain teams need to win to be relevant. The reason is because of brand power. Its a mixture of whats on the field and whats off the field (marketing). True the fan base was strengthened during the 70s,80s, and 90s mainly because of SB and championship games and playoff pedigree. However lately most of that is severely lacking as if that's not so obvious. The part that the organization is winning a lot in lately is brand/market (while a number in the fanbase wish it would just be about the field). I feel the organization is trying to get back to winning on the field lately. But it has been disabled for awhile because of the micromanagement of an owner who is also a gm and sometimes faux coach. (There is a push now from inside (stephan jones, jason garrett and will mcclay probably) to build a good foundation of not spending money on washed up old players and move more towards a youth centric movement spending money wisely not be so caviler.)

As for the fanbase... im sure there are stereotypes with any fanbase.

That brand as you say was built on winning championships. Jerry has turned a once proud franchise and symbol of the NFL into a caricature of itself. He refuses to let the football people handle football and basically puts the clown show out there. If not for Romo, this team would have been the Redskins the last decade ...

A cowboyz dream;

Cowboy's-Dream-980x600.jpg

A Cowboyz reality;

iyd8o5

Something tells me Brady is gonna light it up against the Cowgirls on Sunday. I've never rooted for Brady before but I'm on the cusp in light of what that criminal said about his wife....and the owner isn't much better.

There is something to be said for an organization that doesn't have to win, that can go mediocre for a good 19 years and still remain relevant to the haters and the lovers. Dallas can suck and still be more talked about than most teams.
Well, I hear you and AFAIC you can be as proud as you want to because people are talking about your team (actually, for years we've been more laughing than talking), but for me, I'd prefer my team win games.

Certain teams need to win to be relevant.
Depends on your definition of 'relevant.' For the Cowboys fans, it seems to be being talked about. For Pats fans it is winning a superbowl. There is more disappointment in New England for getting to the superbowl but not winning it than in Dallas for going 8-8 (again).

You want to be relevant? Have your owner fire his GM.

Something tells me Brady is gonna light it up against the Cowgirls on Sunday. I've never rooted for Brady before but I'm on the cusp in light of what that criminal said about his wife....and the owner isn't much better.

You mean this guy?

jerry.jpg

If it weren't for Jerry being such a moron, discussion about Dallas here would be virtually non-existent.

Don't kid yourself; the Cowboys are irrelevant.

well they seem to generate and embody the most love and most hate.

cowboys news sells. it generates clicks and its profitable news wise. even if you hate them you want to know about them, generally. why do you think the NFL puts the cowboys in primetime spots still? if you're not tuning in to cheer for the team you are tuning in for the love to see them lose and mess up.

that's precisely my point. cowboys dont have to win to do this.

That brand as you say was built on winning championships. Jerry has turned a once proud franchise and symbol of the NFL into a caricature of itself. He refuses to let the football people handle football and basically puts the clown show out there. If not for Romo, this team would have been the Redskins the last decade ...

the narrative now is that stephan jones is helping to call the shots and contrasting Jerry and getting into his ear. The cowboys FO as of late have been handling biz much like the patriots FO in regards to players and the philosophy that comes with that.

the franchise is multli-layered and multi-faceted. Im sure you would beg to differ. It's not like it just started winning in the last decade. Its been awhile. it has moved on to a dark times phase after a winning phase and its trying to move on from that while the brand remains completely relevant.

the narrative now is that stephan jones is helping to call the shots and contrasting Jerry and getting into his ear. The cowboys FO as of late have been handling biz much like the patriots FO in regards to players and the philosophy that comes with that.

the franchise is multli-layered and multi-faceted. Im sure you would beg to differ. It's not like it just started winning in the last decade. Its been awhile. it has moved on to a dark times phase after a winning phase and its trying to move on from that while the brand remains completely relevant.

Serious question, because I don't know enough Cowboys fans to get a good feel for it.

Does being "relevant" in the National media, whether you're winning or losing, matter to you?

There's no denying (although some here are apparently trying to), that the Cowboys have been Nationally relevant in the media for 40+ years.

My question is, does that matter to you? Do you care?

For me, I don't care if every game is at Sunday at 1, and no one ever mentions the Patriots in print or media ever again, so long as they win. :shrug:

My reasoning for that is, I don't own the team, I am not the "brand", so I can't bring myself to think it's all that important. Certainly not when compared to winning.

Thanks for being reasonable.

Like I said, Lee's a good player who would start for pretty much every team in the league. I just don't think he's Mike Singletary like he's made out to be in the National media. I think McClain's a better overall linebacker when he's motivated to be that. That's the main question with him, and nothing you'd ever need to worry about with Lee, so there's that.

As far as fatigued defenses, that's true of pretty much any defense - including the Patriots, which is why they run way more pressure this year than they have in years past (although that's not a lot).

As far as a pass rusher, Hardy's legit, probably your best pass-rusher since Demarcus Ware - although Hardy is more power to Ware's finesse, he still gets the job done. Also better against the run than Ware, IMO. You can't just run at him like you can most elite pass rushers.

I'm not sure how much pass rushing can get done in 1.98 seconds, but they'll definitely have to account for him.

I hope we get some real pressure because Belichick has had 2 weeks to pick this defense apart (as if he really needed it right?). I won't be surprised if we see guys running routes uncovered.

Serious question, because I don't know enough Cowboys fans to get a good feel for it.

Does being "relevant" in the National media, whether you're winning or losing, matter to you?

There's no denying (although some here are apparently trying to), that the Cowboys have been Nationally relevant in the media for 40+ years.

My question is, does that matter to you? Do you care?

For me, I don't care if every game is at Sunday at 1, and no one ever mentions the Patriots in print or media ever again, so long as they win. :shrug:

My reasoning for that is, I don't own the team, I am not the "brand", so I can't bring myself to think it's all that important. Certainly not when compared to winning.

good question.
it doesn't matter to me. im just describing the current climate of the situation. a preference either here or there is something else.

certainly winning on the field is more important than winning in profit and news clicks. any reasonable or real cowboys fan would believe that. we would rather win consistently on the field without a doubt. a lot of us miss it.

Back