How Much Sleep Do You Typically Get Per Night?

How many hours of sleep do you get per night?

• Total voters
It depends on someone else (my three month old daughter) how much sleep I get and when my wife is working (she works overnights). If I am on daddy duty (aka, wife working), could be as little as six hours pending Elizabeth's eating schedule. If my wife is home, I could go to bed at midnight and sleep until 8 or 9 (depends on if I wake up with a screaming baby alarm clock).

Generally down for 9+, usually sleep 8+ out of that.

It depends on someone else (my three month old daughter) how much sleep I get and when my wife is working (she works overnights). If I am on daddy duty (aka, wife working), could be as little as six hours pending Elizabeth's eating schedule. If my wife is home, I could go to bed at midnight and sleep until 8 or 9 (depends on if I wake up with a screaming baby alarm clock).
I used to be able to sleep for eight hours before I had kids, but as soon as the first one was born (who is now 14) my clock moved to about 6 hours. Nowadays, 5-6 is "normal" but I go long stretches on much less.

I was a decent sleeper too. But again, since that first one, it's like my brain is on alert 24/7 and I wake up to the slightest thing.

Generally I'm curious as to how many people really do get the "recommended" eight hours a night, if that is just a mythical recommendation, or if I really am on the bad end of the bell curve.

My fitbit tells me I sleep between 6 - 7 hours per night. My goal is 7 but I rarely achieve it.

I go to bed at 2 am or later . Normally wake up at 8:30 . If I don't get at least 4 hours . Im a huge Ass hole until I get my first cup of coffee.

I voted no regular pattern because sometimes I go to sleep at 12-2 am, sleep until 8-9, sometimes earlier, sometimes later. I am very seldom if ever asleep by 11 pm though.

Now that I'm using a CPAP, I'm getting a decent 6-7 hours of sleep.
Prior to that, I was constantly waking up and not getting very effective sleep.

I used to be able to sleep for eight hours before I had kids, but as soon as the first one was born (who is now 14) my clock moved to about 6 hours. Nowadays, 5-6 is "normal" but I go long stretches on much less.

I was a decent sleeper too. But again, since that first one, it's like my brain is on alert 24/7 and I wake up to the slightest thing.

Generally I'm curious as to how many people really do get the "recommended" eight hours a night, if that is just a mythical recommendation, or if I really am on the bad end of the bell curve.

Those first four days, I got like 15 hours of sleep total over those days. Now we no longer have to wake Elizabeth up every four hours overnight to feed it (have a feeling at first it was so she could pack on the pounds) so when she wakes up hungry, she starts to cry and we feed her. Monday morning I got a great night of sleep. Got to bed about 11:30pm since she went out after being fussy all evening. She woke up at 4:30am, back to sleep at 5:30am. Woke up at 9:30am just in time for my wife to get home. She nursed her and I slept another hour.

CUrrently getting between 7 1/2 and 8 hours based on CPAP useage. (Fall asleep almost immediately so CPAP hours and sleep hours are pretty mch identical.

However, I'm in FLorida camping for a couple months and I have no requirements other than to write and line dance, so I set no alarms. Within a couple days I pretty much settled in to 7 1/2 to 8 hours every night, even if I napped for an hour or so the afternoon before.

This wouldn't have happened last year or the years before (prior to going gluten/sugar free) when I got up twice a night to pee. If I woke up to pee after about 5:00 I never go back to sleep.

Back home I set an alarm for 6:00 so my sleep hours depended on when I went to bed. Next May (or maybe June) when I get back home I may experiment with no alarm and see what my natural hours of sleep are.

5-6 hours, depending on what my son allows.
He has a sister arriving in 2 months, so that'll plummet to 3-4.

Congratulations! I had 2 kids 2 years apart. Sleep is a precious commodity when you can get it. I had my third 5 years after my second and got much better sleep and the other 2 help me take care of her. She is now almost 4. After 10+ years of kids, uninterrupted sleep is a true blessing. Still does not always happen when kids get sick or have a nightmare but still pretty consistent.

On the weekdays, anywhere from 4 to 6. On the weekends, around 8. In the summer heat, I don't sleep as well.

8 is recommended...but, various roadblocks seem to screw that up. Too much heat, stress, caffeine, alcohol, stimulants, water, late night computer/cellphone usage will affect it.

http://www.menshealth.com/health/10-things-that-screw-up-your-sleep

2 hours and then I sleep 3.5 hours in the morning when I get home. Once in a great while I sleep 5 hours straight possibly 6 hours if I'm lucky.

Try using some sort of masking sound.

There are plenty of apps one can get for a mobile device that will play whatever sound you like, but I simply use a fan.

At home I have a fan on when I go to bed, blowing away from the bed in the winter and over the bed when it's hot in the summer.

That's basically a white noise background that masks many of the silly little sounds that otherwise will wake me up.

When I travel for business, I adjust the ac/heat in the hotel room to have a constant fan.

Work nights usually get a good 7 hours when I get home in the morning. The weekend is a whole nother story. Try sleeping a couple of hours and then getting up so I don't waste a day off but I'm pretty much dragging ass all day. Come 9 pm I'm dead tired but can't sleep because I am used to being up at that time working so I get up around 2 in the morning and watch tv and read. Sun comes up head outside and try to accomplish something before I drag myself back inside for another nap.

On the weekdays, anywhere from 4 to 6. On the weekends, around 8. In the summer heat, I don't sleep as well.

8 is recommended...but, various roadblocks seem to screw that up. Too much heat, stress, caffeine, alcohol, stimulants, water, late night computer/cellphone usage will affect it.

http://www.menshealth.com/health/10-things-that-screw-up-your-sleep
Yeah, don't watch TV or surf on your laptop or cell phone before you go to bed. Listen to an audiobook or a podcast instead. But nothing too upsetting like horror or thriller books. Listening to old episodes of King of Queens always worked for me. Stand-up comedy as well. Nowadays I like to listen to a bunch of football podcasts like The Solid Verbal or Podcast ain't played nobody.

PS: Never had a problem with caffeine & alcohol. You just have to find the right mix ratio. :coffee:

Back