If you were Rob Gronkowski would you consider retiring?

Shemp

Upright Member
Reaction score
He has banked a metric shitload of cash, seeing as how he claims to have never spent a dime of his Patriot's Contracts. Financially he is set for life, is it worth risking his long term health for a couple of years more?

And if he retires should he be elected to the HOF?

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/injury-predictor/player/24017#

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/rob-gronkowski-6551/cash-earnings/

Not sure there's enough of a body of work for that, but it has happened before. Look at gale Sayers. Only 5 full seasons but so incredibly dominant it was basically a no-brainer. Gronk is basically the same at his position. 3 time first team All-Pro. 68 TDs in 88 games. 9 TDs in 10 playoff games.

I would have already retired.

He's got millions of dollars, a ring, and a brain that hasn't completely turned into mashed potatoes.

At this point every time he steps on the field he's rolling the dice.

He has banked a metric shitload of cash, seeing as how he claims to have never spent a dime of his Patriot's Contracts. Financially he is set for life, is it worth risking his long term health for a couple of years more?

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/injury-predictor/player/24017#

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/rob-gronkowski-6551/cash-earnings/

raw

I would have never played to begin with. Gronk is so skilled he could have had his pick at other pro sports and saved his body.

No to retiring. Yes to HoF.

Hopefully he keeps playing until he's no longer useful.

Absolutely not.

The pursuit of greatness is all consuming. How many here have the ability to say they were the best at anything of all time? He's got the ability to be the greatest TE to ever play the game. First ballot HoF.

I don't believe he has any concussion history.

I've had concussions and blew out my left knee, still walking painfully. For fvcking beer league softball.

If I were him I'd continue to Gronk that NFL.

No, he shouldn't retire. He should at least hang on long enough for the Patriots to trade him this offseason.

No ****ing way is he in the Hall of Fame yet.

Absolutely not.

The pursuit of greatness is all consuming. How many here have the ability to say they were the best at anything of all time? He's got the ability to be the greatest TE to ever play the game. First ballot HoF.

I don't believe he has any concussion history.

I've had concussions and blew out my left knee, still walking painfully. For fvcking beer league softball.

If I were him I'd continue to Gronk that NFL.
CTE is actually a result of multiple sub concussive hits over a long period of time, not necessarily actual concussions. Gronk is a tight end and a real tight end unlike the big WR tight end we see nowadays which means he's staying on to block fairly often.

That means that several times a game his noggin is bonking into another noggin. Eventually, that will turn his brain into mush. It can literally change who he is as a person to such a point that the people around him who love and care about him won't recognize him anymore.

You mentioned greatness and the pursuit of it. Junior Seau achieved that greatness. The consequence of that pursuit was living the remainder of his life in such a living hell that putting a shotgun to his chest and pulling the trigger became preferable.

If I came to Dwight Schrute and said "Dwight, you have the potential to be the best (whatever Dwight does for a living) but the cost of pursing that greatness could include:
memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, anxiety, suicidality, parkinsonism, and, eventually, progressive dementia.

Does Dwight determine the juice is worth the squeeze?

There's very few things in this world Jaric would determine are. A children's game where large men move a ball around a field certainly doesn't make that list.

By the way, in the interest of clarity, I should state that my argument isn't really specific to Gronkowski and would apply to pretty much any player outside of a punter, kicker, or maybe quarterback.

I'm shocked knowing what we know about CTE that any player is willing to keep going past that second contract (generally the big one.)

By the way, in the interest of clarity, I should state that my argument isn't really specific to Gronkowski and would apply to pretty much any player outside of a punter, kicker, or maybe quarterback.

I'm shocked knowing what we know about CTE that any player is willing to keep going past that second contract (generally the big one.)

What makes you think Gronk has CTE or is more at risk than the avg player to develop CTE? He seems pretty normal to me. Thousands of players have retired without developing it.

What makes you think Gronk has CTE or is more at risk than the avg player to develop CTE? He seems pretty normal to me. Thousands of players have retired without developing it.

I don't think he's more at risk than an average player. That was actually the point of the post you quoted which was that this is for me a general argument and not specific to Gronkowski.

Lots of people who smoke don't get lung cancer. That doesn't mean the risk is worth taking.

I don't think he's more at risk than an average player. That was actually the point of the post you quoted which was that this is for me a general argument and not specific to Gronkowski.

Lots of people who smoke don't get lung cancer. That doesn't mean the risk is worth taking.

What's the actual risk? Iow, what percentage of NFL players actually develop CTE and what are the mitigating factors that accelerate or decelerate the development of CTE? I haven't seen any studies that delineate these things other than a general statement that head trauma causes CTE. OK, but not everyone who has played in the NFL gets CTE. In fact, most don't get it at all. Better studies are needed.

Back