If you're Brady and you win the SB... do you retire?

Do you retire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One thing that was brought home to be again on Saturday is just how damn tough Tom really is. The hits that guy takes is unreal at times. He does not have the O Lines that the Steelers, Chiefs, Falcons, Raiders, Cowboys, Packers do. Only Luck gets the same punishment that Tom does. And he's not a Wilson who has the wheels to escape from a bad O line either.

Tom gets battered and he gets up each time and goes directly to the huddle. It's a very unheralded aspect of his play.

Dontcha know he's just a whiner? He's soft as butter, according to other fans and players.

Idjits!

No way. You get one shot. I wish every day that I could play one more football game. I can't imagine being the best ever and walking away just to walk away.

There is no chance he walks away. This has been close to his best year, if not his best. If he keeps it up, his best year might be next year.

Only he will know when to quit, and he won't need anyone to tell him it's time.

There is no chance he walks away. This has been close to his best year, if not his best. If he keeps it up, his best year might be next year.

Only he will know when to quit, and he won't need anyone to tell him it's time.

That's not the question.

Just a hunch, but I think TB12 will go for one more.

Start the career with 3 in 4 years, end the career with 3 in 4 years.

Symmetry.

Good point. I mean there is no sign that the AFC will not continue to be the dumpster fire it was this past season. If anything it has gotten easier with Denver blowing everything up and getting rid of Philips, the Colts staying with Pags and Grigs, Rex gone, Smith retiring from Ravens, Houston no QB. It could be an even bigger cake walk especially now that McD is staying.

Retire already !!! You win 5 SBs who is going to challenge that record ????? It will be impossible for someone/team to have that record , yeah people now complain about Brady and BB and all the gates ... but history will be very very kind to Brady and what he has accomplished and what the team has accomplished it's second to none right now. But please RETIRE so other teams can have a chance !!

No way. You get one shot. I wish every day that I could play one more football game. I can't imagine being the best ever and walking away just to walk away.
today I could walk to the very spot on the field I dropped a pass, a pass I dropped over 29 years ago. It would have been a 1st down. eats at me still.

Walking away is hard and I was not in the competition levels you or Tom played in.

I bumped into an old opponents recently in Boston, he remembered me, and we both wished to go back and play on more time.

I can't see someone so devoted to his craft just walking away unless he is positive he is ready.

I just do not know if all this BS, and a victory off of it, would be his happy spot to retire. I think he would want one more.....you always want one more.

"I'll retire when I suck."

Or something like that... Brady said it 2-3 years ago.

He doesn't suck. He will be back, win or lose the rest of the way.

I think he should ask Max Kellerman what he should do

well, there WILL come a day when he isn't playing at an elite level anymore...

...guess that's why Montana never made a comeback?:shrug_n:

Retire already !!! You win 5 SBs who is going to challenge that record ????? It will be impossible for someone/team to have that record , yeah people now complain about Brady and BB and all the gates ... but history will be very very kind to Brady and what he has accomplished and what the team has accomplished it's second to none right now. But please RETIRE so other teams can have a chance !!

...and you are...?

I'm trying to think of examples of people in sports of superstar status who truly walked away when they were still at peak performance. Maybe a few running backs (Jim Brown, Barry Sanders), but the beating they take at that position is a different scenario. Rocky Marciano retired undefeated, but that's another case where you take serious beatings.

Sandy Koufax retired when he was still performing in GOAT territory, but he was developing arm trouble and worried about causing permanent damage. Jordan had a chance for the most heroic walkoff, but he came back. Maybe Elway comes close, but he wasn't at his peak like Brady is.

History seriously argues against Brady quitting now.

....and do....what?

Walking away from something you do very well and enjoy, although I'm not sure "enjoy" is really the right word for something you put a good portion of your life into like a career -- is very difficult.

I wasn't the GOAT at what I did, but I was pretty good and had a sense of comfort and competency that I can't really find after walking away. I had no choice, really, but Tom does and he knows it'll never be the same once he walks. You can tell that he gets that.

What you do is who you are to a much larger extent than most of us would like to believe. He can spend his post-career life doing all the things a man with his stature and wealth has the ability to do but nothing will ever be as good, as visceral and as exciting. Nothing will give him the same satisfaction and self-actualization so he isn't even close to retiring whether we win or not.

It's a million to one against.

He should stay until he starts sucking so he has no regrets. You can't allow yourself to do that.

Retire already !!! You win 4 SBs who is going to challenge that record ????? It will be impossible for someone/team to have that record , yeah people now complain about Brady and BB and all the gates ... but history will be very very kind to Brady and what he has accomplished and what the team has accomplished it's second to none right now. But please RETIRE so other teams can have a chance !!

FYP, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

And no, TB should retire when he is damned good and ready.

Back