Indianapolis Colts Empire Thread

After Notre Dame, there's no denying the fact that the Colts are the best team in Indiana. I'll begrudgingly admit that...

There's a verse in Dylans "Idiot Wind" that seems strangely apropos:

They say I shot a man named Gray
And took his wife to Italy
She inherited a million bucks
And when she died
It came to me.
I can't help it if I'm lucky.

Cheers, BostonTim

Pulling out Bob Dylan lyrics to make a point? Sounds like you and Jim Irsay are kindred spirits.

Thank you. I appreciate that Hawg.

My secret is I just ask myself "what would Michigan Dave do?"

Does that involve Kate Upton? #ovaries

I heard she only likes winners. Good for our future Empire.

The NFL's best players under the age of 23

Prisco has Vick Ballard ranked at #10.

Most Colts fans like Ballard and think he'll be a stud this year. His tough running style and ability to block and catch should allow for him to get the most opportunities this year.

The second part is going to be vital because with Hamilton is very important to have a Rb that can catch. I would say a necessity.

I hate that the Pats-Colts don't play each other this year.

At least, not until the playoffs

:toast:

Can a team be an empire if they are a Wild Card team and will be one for the foreseeable future thanks to the presence of the Texans?

Can a team be an empire if they are a Wild Card team and will be one for the foreseeable future thanks to the presence of the Texans?
The presence of the Texans?ROFL

They can't even beat us at home. Even two years ago when we went 2-14 we notched a home win, again.

We won even last year when we tanked the season, and played 40 million under the cap due to dead money. :D

The presence of the Texans?ROFL

They can't even beat us at home. Even two years ago when we went 2-14 we notched a home win, again.

We won even last year when we tanked the season, and played 40 million under the cap due to dead money. :D

The Texans finished one game ahead of the Colts in a year in which the Texans were supposed to be a Super Bowl contender and the Colts were supposed to have one of the worst records in the NFL.

The Texans are window is closing. It's just that they're highly unlikely to win a Super Bowl before their window closes completely. Both Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub will be 32 this year. Arian Foster has plenty of miles.

The second part is going to be vital because with Hamilton is very important to have a Rb that can catch. I would say a necessity.

Pagano talked a little bit about Ballard and Brown today:

“It’s always nice to have a couple guys, a change of pace guy,” coach Chuck Pagano said recently. “But certainly at the end of the year with Donnie hurt and the way Vick came on and the way he was running, he was getting the lion’s share of the snaps. At this point, yeah, he’s sitting there as the lead guy. But Donnie’s in great shape and healthy and looks fantastic to this point in the offseason program.

“Can Vick be an every-down guy? Yeah. Can Donnie be an every-down guy? Yeah. They are different types of runners and are more than capable on third down, knowing the protections and picking up blitzers and being effective once they get out to catch the football and doing those things out of the backfield." Link

Capsule Summary: We said it back in February and we’ll say it again. The success of the 2012 Indianapolis Colts was shocking and unexplainable. Outside of Andrew Luck throwing passes to the great Reggie Wayne, there was nothing outstanding about the way the Colts did anything in 2012 (except win games). This was a team that seemingly won games with smoke and mirrors and allowed an average of 2 points more per game than they scored. Heading into the offseason, Colts GM Ryan Grigson had approximately 46 Mil to spend on free agents. In making a decision whether to spend all of that dough on big name talent or spread it more evenly among a much larger number of players, Grigson opted to do the latter. A look at the list of free agent signings evokes words like “solid” and “depth”, not game changer. Make no mistake about it, Grigson is building this team for the long haul and he already has the centerpiece of that building effort in place in Andrew Luck. Apparently, Phase One of the Grigson Plan is to populate the team with high character blue collar types who know the meaning of a hard days work. The shiny pieces will come later.

Here is a look at how the Indianapolis Colts addressed their most pressing needs in the offseason:

1. Offensive Tackle: According to the statistical gurus at Pro Football Focus, the Colts Offensive Line was ranked 31st out of 32 for the 2012 season. If you combine sacks, hits and hurries, the Colts had 32 more than any other team. I left those two sentences in tact from the February report to demonstrate just how the dire the Colts Offensive Line woes were in 2012. Ryan Grigson made a concerted effort to bolster his moribund line in both free agency and through the draft. While Grigson would not have been adverse to finding an upgrade to Anthony Castonzo at the Left Tackle position, there was simply no value for him to do so without reaching or overpaying. The best free agents stayed with their original teams and the best draft prospects were snapped up early. Given that set of circumstances, Grigson invested in the Right Tackle position by rewarding Gosder Cherilus with a 5 years 34.5 Mil deal. In doing so, Grigson is banking on the idea that Castonzo will continue to improve in his 3rd season in the NFL.

2. Offensive Guard: Ryan Grigson’s attention to the Guard position was a shot across the bough to 2012 starters Mike McGlynn and Jeff Linkenbach. Donald Thomas from New England was brought in to take Linkenbach’s spot and Grigson would love to see 3rd round draftee Hugh Thornton from Illinois wrest the other position away from McGlynn. In addition, USC 4th rounder Khaled Holmes was brought in to play Center but it also capable of playing Guard as Grigson likes players who are versatile. If the Colts learned one thing in 2012 it’s that Andrew Luck is the truth and he cannot take another beating like he did last year. Protecting The Franchise is always going to be a huge priority as long as Luck is in Indy. Oh yeah, and the running game needs to improve too.

3. Nose Tackle: The Colts rush defense was putrid in 2012 and the problems started right up front with the Defensive Line. Ryan Grigson has opted to execute a complete reboot at the Nose Tackle position by bringing in Aubrayo Franklin from San Diego. Antonio Johnson, the starter in 2012 was sent packing. In the draft, Grigson tabbed the massive 6’4” 330 lb Montori Hughes from Tennessee-Martin. The behemoth 360 lb. Brandon McKinney who spent 2012 on the IR list will also get a shot to crack the rotation. While there is some uncertainty at the Nose Tackle position, there is also a positive expectation that the new array of players is a huge upgrade.

4. Defensive End: While the Nose Tackle position was completely reconfigured through the draft and free agency, the same cannot be said about the Defensive End position. The 11 year veteran Cory Redding returns to start at one end while it looks like former 49er Rickey Jean-Francois is the early favorite to win the other spot. This signing was based on potential as the former LSU star was never a full time starter in San Francisco. First round draftee Bjoern Werner will not help at the position as he is a bit undersized to play the 3-4 Defensive End and will start his career as an Outside Linebacker.

5. Cornerback: Indy’s 2013 2nd round draft choice went to Miami in a trade for Cornerback Vontee Davis. That looks like a good deal as Davis is a viable starter and overall contributor. The other Corner position is up for grabs in 2013. Grigson did not use any of his draft choices on Corners and his only foray into the Cornerback market came when he signed Arizona’s Greg Toler. Toler looks to have the inside track to a starting position as we head into 2013. One thing is certain, teams are not going to be afraid to take their shots against this group of Corners next season.

http://sportschatplace.com/football/pete/2013/may/14/nfl-news-2/

4. Defensive End: While the Nose Tackle position was completely reconfigured through the draft and free agency, the same cannot be said about the Defensive End position. The 11 year veteran Cory Redding returns to start at one end while it looks like former 49er Rickey Jean-Francois is the early favorite to win the other spot. This signing was based on potential as the former LSU star was never a full time starter in San Francisco. First round draftee Bjoern Werner will not help at the position as he is a bit undersized to play the 3-4 Defensive End and will start his career as an Outside Linebacker.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Montori Hughes get some reps at DE.

Chuck Pagano random quotes said:
“This guy moves like Haloti, he’s big like Haloti, he walked down the hall, they nicknamed him ‘Eclipse’,” he said. “The guy barely can fit through the door.”

“He can move like a cat,” said Grigson. “There are just very few human beings who have that ability. In this defense, he played all three spots. He knocked everyone’s socks off (in a visit), looked everyone in the eye and made a great impression.

“I’m going to knock on wood and go out on a limb, but this kid’s going to be special. You’re talking 6-4 and 340 pounds, and he moves like an outside linebacker. He’s got feet like a shore bird.’’

"We're an empire damn it!" :high:

A_qOlvpCUAAo1jj.jpg

Back