Irsay says Luck's new deal will be "Shocking"

5 year/$125 mil extension. First 3 years fully guaranteed is what is being reported. $87 mil total guaranteed.

This is glorious.

I'm-a guess 5/125 with like $90m guaranteed. Would make him the highest paid in AAV and guaranteed money.

He could get more on the open market, so truly, while expensive, a decent deal for the Colts.

(From May 19th)

*cough*

:coffee:

Anyway, I'd argue this is a hometown discount for the Colts. Good job outta Irsay. I don't know about crowing about it on your Twitter feed when the guy is .500 against anyone not in the AFC South, but we'll see.

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

Will they hang a banner for this?

I really hope so.

Luck is over rated but not over paid.

If anyone on SB Nation has hit the "Luck is overrated" drum the hardest over the last three years, it's me. And I stand by that because there are still hundreds of media members out there who have a significant audience of readers, listeners, and viewers, who continue to anoint Luck as a top-five (usually top-three) QB mostly because, in my opinion, they're afraid to not parrot the norm. They're afraid to go against the narrative. They're cowards, basically. Throw an argument against Luck at them and they won't bat it back at you, they'll go play with somebody else. Or they'll talk about a different player entirely and hope you forget what the conversation started as. But they can't counter any anti-Luck sentiments with anything other than rattling off how many wins he got against the worst division in football, or how the problem is everyone in Indianapolis besides Luck, or just, well, "your an idiot."
Luck is overrated because he's not a top-five quarterback, let alone top-three, so why then would I say he's not "overpaid"? Because this is simply the going rate for the "franchise quarterback d'jour."
Last year, the Seattle Seahawks signed Russell Wilson to a four-year extension worth $87 million, which is $21.9 per year. It's less total money than Luck, it's less guaranteed money than Luck, and it's less per year than Luck, but he will be a free agent two years earlier than Luck. At which point, he will probably sign for more total money than Luck, more guaranteed money than Luck, and more money per season than Luck. That's just how it works.
Luck may not be the best QB in the NFL, but he's certainly one of the ten or so that a franchise must hold onto. Luck, Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Cam Newton ... I mean, I could write a 600-page book on why Wilson is better than Luck (and I'm sure that some of you would probably help me self-finance it) but I don't necessarily think that I'd rather have Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, or Matthew Stafford. And Flacco still has the second-highest APY in the NFL.

We pay more attention to Luck because he's a media darling, but especially do we pay him notice today because he just got paid today. If you think Luck is overpaid, don't hate the player, and don't even hate the game ... hate the economy. He just got his piece of the pie based on what consumers have deemed reasonable for what a football team's revenue stream is and how much of that should be going to a franchise quarterback.
It still won't make him a top-five QB.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/6/29/12062868/andrew-luck-contract-colts-overrated-overpaid

Locking up Luck was the only option Irsay had. He is a franchize QB and one of the best young QBs out there.

What is STUPID is celebrating the fact that you handed out the biggest contract in NFL history like it's a damn trophy. Isn't the point to get the best talent at the lowest possible cost so you can build around it?

It's the difference between wanting to win and wanting to sell tickets and jerseys.

We pay more attention to Luck because he's a media darling, but especially do we pay him notice today because he just got paid today. If you think Luck is overpaid, don't hate the player,

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/6/29/12062868/andrew-luck-contract-colts-overrated-overpaid
Hear that salt shakers?

:stirpot:

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Locking up Luck was the only option Irsay had. He is a franchize QB and one of the best young QBs out there.

What is STUPID is celebrating the fact that you handed out the biggest contract in NFL history like it's a damn trophy. Isn't the point to get the best talent at the lowest possible cost so you can build around it?

It's the difference between wanting to win and wanting to sell tickets and jerseys.

rmrsKRm.gif

You know ... Colts.

Born and raised in Indiana. I can make a joke about our state and take one too.
:thumb:

It might be because all my friends are here and I live on the nice part of town, but I like it here warts and all.

At least we're not like those assholes in Kentucky.

:thumb:

It might be because all my friends are here and I live on the nice part of town, but I like it here warts and all.

At least we're not like those assholes in Kentucky.

I like it here except for the weather. Summer is way too short and I hate the winter.

Kentucky is just fine as well. I find people I like in every state. Ohio is probably the most difficult state to accomplish that, but there are even a few reasonable buckeyes out there.

I like it here except for the weather. Summer is way too short and I hate the winter.

Kentucky is just fine as well. I find people I like in every state. Ohio is probably the most difficult state to accomplish that, but there are even a few reasonable buckeyes out there.

Eastern KY is...different lol. The area around Louisville isn't all that different from Indianapolis IMO. But eastern KY around Appalachia country...those are some mother****ers living on the edge.

Is it just me, or have we started skipping spring and fall lately? It might be my imagination but it really seems like we give each a week and then blast through right into summer/winter.

Eastern KY is...different lol. The area around Louisville isn't all that different from Indianapolis IMO. But eastern KY around Appalachia country...those are some mother****ers living on the edge.

Is it just me, or have we started skipping spring and fall lately? It might be my imagination but it really seems like we give each a week and then blast through right into summer/winter.

Yeah, Appalichia area is a totally different beast. Every state has their bad parts.

I have a different view on the seasons because I like it hot. 85 - 100 degrees is my preferred weather here. We don't get very many of those days anymore.

Ohio is probably the most difficult state to accomplish that, but there are even a few reasonable buckeyes out there.

:wave:

Why does everyone hate my state? ROFL

Indy peeps should love us. People are so busy making fun of Cleveland that they forget the true hellhole of Gary, IN. :tongue:

The dollar amount doesn't shock me. As soon as Irsay said it would be "shocking" I figured about $25 per. I figured 4 years fully guaranteed ($100 m) and 2 more.

Agreed. Not shocking to me either. Young QBs who can play, get paid a lot. Whether they should, is a different story, but that really is the current market.

Exhibit A: Joe Flacco
Exhibit B: Brock Osweiler

In fairness to Osweiler vs. Flacco, we don't already know if Osweiler is 100% average or not yet. :coffee:

Indy peeps should love us. People are so busy making fun of Cleveland that they forget the true hellhole of Gary, IN. :tongue:

Gary belongs to Chicago. The whole "region" is actually part of IL.

In fairness to Osweiler vs. Flacco, we don't already know if Osweiler is 100% average or not yet. :coffee:

In fairness, with their defense, average QB play is all Houston might need to get themselves in a position to get ass-raped by the Pats in a CCG.

I just hate Ohio State. I actually had a buddy move to Columbus, OH. He moved there as an OSU fan and came back a Michigan fan. Let's just say he did not enjoy Columbus.

I like Cincy. Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Put-in-Bay are all good times.

Gary is a complete dump. I would rather crap my pants than stop in Gary to use a bathroom.

Back