Is Seattle splitting apart due to SB 49 play call?

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
I have spent the last couple of days surfing some of the Seattle forums to get as much info on the Sherman trade rumors and was surprised to see some of the following thread topics:

"Is Bevell to blame for much of this teams discontent?"
"What made us great, is also what tore us apart"
"Do u use the words "us" or "we" when u bring up the Seahawks"

As background, the seabird fans see Lynch unretiring and going to the Raiders and Sherman wanting to be traded as evidence of a team that has lost faith in its coaches - specifically Bevell and Carroll.

Many people openly wondered after that SB call if that Seahawks would be able to withstand the result of that call and the consensus seems to be that they have turned on their team. Not to say that I blame them in one way as I firmly believed someone needed to be fired for that call. Most likely Bevell so the team could move on. Kind of like when the Sox fired Grady after the Pedro debacle.

But what I wanted to discuss was culture. Petey has always been big on letting the players speak their minds and run the asylum so to speak. Is this philosophy biting him in the butt now? We all know there are many ways to skin a cat but man, Bill's way to me seems like the most effective over the long haul.

Thoughts?

I don't think Cheaty Petey has the presence of character to hold it together there.

I think it has very little to do with that play call.

This is what happens to 31 teams in the NFL. They rise, they fall. The BitchPigeons are seeing what happens when you put together a great team. Other teams loot your players. Contracts come up and they want big $. As Martellus said, "Teams overpay for champions". You can't keep a group like their secondary together for too many years.

They have over $100 million invested in only 10 players. Both safeties are up at the end of 2017. Their offense is in serious decline and they need to address that.

Sherman isn't happy to stay on a sinking ship and has obviously indicated he wouid be happy to be traded or outright asked for one.

This is what happens to <strike>31</strike> 30 teams in the NFL. They rise, they fall. The BitchPigeons are seeing what happens when you put together a great team. Other teams loot your players. Contracts come up and they want big $. As Martellus said, "Teams overpay for champions". You can't keep a group like their secondary together for too many years.

They have over $100 million invested in only 10 players. Both safeties are up at the end of 2017. Their offense is in serious decline and they need to address that.

Sherman isn't happy to stay on a sinking ship and has obviously indicated he wouid be happy to be traded or outright asked for one.

fyp. There is one exception to this rule.

Yeah I agree with the above, I don't think it was the play call itself. It is more the cyclical nature of most teams, combined with Carroll's coaching and management style. He does not run a well-disciplined team.

Yeah, letting players speak their minds is very democratic, but when things start to go south, it's every man for himself.

To me, the problem isn't guys speaking their minds. It's guys speaking their minds publicly. Coaches shouldn't have a problem with players voicing their opinions to them...privately. Maybe Seattle's desire to trade Sherman (heard on g.m. football this morning that Seattle was calling teams about him too, not just taking calls) may signal that they are turning the page on publicly outspoken players.

I have spent the last couple of days surfing some of the Seattle forums to get as much info on the Sherman trade rumors and was surprised to see some of the following thread topics:

As background, the seabird fans see Lynch unretiring and going to the Raiders and Sherman wanting to be traded as evidence of a team that has lost faith in its coaches - specifically Bevell and Carroll.

Many people openly wondered after that SB call if that Seahawks would be able to withstand the result of that call and the consensus seems to be that they have turned on their team. Not to say that I blame them in one way as I firmly believed someone needed to be fired for that call. Most likely Bevell so the team could move on. Kind of like when the Sox fired Grady after the Pedro debacle.

But what I wanted to discuss was culture. Petey has always been big on letting the players speak their minds and run the asylum so to speak. Is this philosophy biting him in the butt now? We all know there are many ways to skin a cat but man, Bill's way to me seems like the most effective over the long haul.

Thoughts?

its not the one play call its the fact that PC is way way overrated we saw this act here in NE where he took a very young SB caliber team and destroyed it in a few short years. he was just blessed in seattle with a great roster and a very fortunate QB pick.

To me, the problem isn't guys speaking their minds. It's guys speaking their minds publicly. Coaches shouldn't have a problem with players voicing their opinions to them...privately. Maybe Seattle's desire to trade Sherman (heard on g.m. football this morning that Seattle was calling teams about him too, not just taking calls) may signal that they are turning the page on publicly outspoken players.

If I recall correctly, players speaking out and going over/around Petey was one big reason he got booted as Patriot's HC, oh so long ago. His pumped and jacked style always seemed to suit coaching college so much better than pros. Other than running from NCAA sanctions, I was really surprised when he left USC.

This is what happens to 31 teams in the NFL. They rise, they fall. The BitchPigeons are seeing what happens when you put together a great team. Other teams loot your players. Contracts come up and they want big $. As Martellus said, "Teams overpay for champions". You can't keep a group like their secondary together for too many years.

Yeah. I think it is more this than anything else. Seattle had a nice 2-3 year run but they failed to draft well, overpaid too many players, and Wilson has proven to be a QB that is average without a dominant run game.

I think it is lazy to blame the effect of one call even though the magnitude of that call was off the charts. I think had Seattle continued to build their team and not whiff on trades for Jimmy Graham, let their Oline turn to poop and overpay their entire defense, they would be seen as more of a contender and guys like Lynch and Sherman would not be jumping ship.

That being said, Petey's mgmt style works when things are going well but is corrosive/destructive in the down times. We saw that here in NE first hand.

I agree with Mazz and PumpDee.

I recall posting shortly after they won their SB that they wouldn't be able to keep that team together.

IIRC, 25 odd players would become FA's in two years and that many of them were still on their rookie contracts.

So they've had a bit of turnover and like the vast majority of NFL teams the backups were no where near as good.

not whiff on trades for Jimmy Graham

They also whiffed on trading their 2013 1st & 7th picks & 2014 3rd round picks for Percy Harvin and Giving him a 6 year $67 million with 25.5 guaranteed only to trade him a year later for a conditional draft pick.

Patriots Roster turns over all the time, the Seahawks have a stagnant roster so the Voice (carroll) is slowly drowned out and turned off to the long term guys because they are in no fear of being cut.

Every Patriot (maybe not Tom) know there will be a day they are expendable and it could be tomorrow so keep yourself sharp and never take for granted the roster spot you occupy, 300 college players typically put their resume out for that spot you own every spring.

Thoughts?

I think Abalone Pete held it together there about as long as he possibly could, for him - and for that, he really should be applauded, imo.

That's twice as long as he held it together here, for example.

I agree with Mazz and PumpDee.

I recall posting shortly after they won their SB that they wouldn't be able to keep that team together.

IIRC, 25 odd players would become FA's in two years and that many of them were still on their rookie contracts.

So they've had a bit of turnover and like the vast majority of NFL teams the backups were no where near as good.

And one bad trade (Unger for Graham), sped up that process of decline.

I think their "run" can mostly be attributed to good drafts over 2-3 years that gave them a fine defense and a QB that used very little cap. Once those rookie contracts were up, the team could afford to keep them, and this, coupled with no-so-good drafting (average, not bad) and bad trades, has them in a toilet-bowl spiral down the drain.

Back