Is there anything wrong with being a Wicked Homah?

DarrylStingley

Boston Sports
Reaction score
The following things are true about me:

1. I'm not objective when watching games and commenting on officiating in games my team is playing in.

2. If my team loses a game, I turn the TV off as fast as possible and don't ever watch the other team celebrate.

3. The Flyers fans who stayed to watch the Blackhawks get the Cup blew my brains out.

4. If my team gets knocked out of the playoffs or doesn't make them, I usually only watch the remainder on a casual basis. The NFL is an exception but I don't make a huge effort to watch games other than the conference finals and the SB if the Pats are out.

5. I love all players on my teams and hate all players on other teams. No players I "just have to like" -- a la Derek Jeter for some Sox fans.

6. I have no non-Boston teams I sort of like. If the Pats folded, I guess I might root for KC because of Charlie, Romeo, Vrabel and Cassel, but if that unique situation didn't exist, I probably would just watch without a rooting interest.

7. I have never watched highlights of SB 42.

8. I watched no post-game interviews after game 7 of the NBA finals.

9. I make it a point to read opposing newspapers after tough losses. The NY Post was freaking wonderful today.

10. I don't feel any empathy whatsoever when an opposing player gets injured. Well....not totally true...If my team isn't playing and the player is on a team that's not a rival, I feel a little bit badly. But if the player is on a team that is in competition with the Pats or if it's a Pats game, an opposing player getting hurt doesn't make me feel badly at all. In all circumstances, I hope that the opposing player will not return for the rest of the game.

In short, I'm a homer. A huge one.

Are you a homer?

Let's discuss. Or let's not.

Last: Pats won, Colts lost, Jets lost, Chargers lost, Broncos lost, Cowboys lost. Holy crap.

Last: Pats won, Colts lost, Jets lost, Chargers lost, Broncos lost, Cowboys lost. Holy crap.

I live in Texas so seeing the Cowboys lose was terrific shit.:thumb:

Oh, and you are a :Homer: of epic proportions.

Welcome back.

10. I don't feel any empathy whatsoever when an opposing player gets injured. Well....not totally true...If my team isn't playing and the player is on a team that's not a rival, I feel a little bit badly. But if the player is on a team that is in competition with the Pats or if it's a Pats game, an opposing player getting hurt doesn't make me feel badly at all. In all circumstances, I hope that the opposing player will not return for the rest of the game.

Don't agree here. I hated to see Jenkins injured for the Rex's last night. I would rather the Pats beat them with all their bullets in their gun. I always have a twinge of regret when MOST opponents get injured.

That said LT tweaks a hammy again, **** him. Ryan Clark from the Steelers could be taken off in a hearse and I would simply laugh and pour another beer. Glass Bob gets injured week 1........:shrug:.

Don't agree here. I hated to see Jenkins injured for the Rex's last night. I would rather the Pats beat them with all their bullets in their gun. I always have a twinge of regret when MOST opponents get injured.

That said LT tweaks a hammy again, **** him. Ryan Clark from the Steelers could be taken off in a hearse and I would simply laugh and pour another beer. Glass Bob gets injured week 1........:shrug:.

I understand and respect your general position. And I think most people think that way.

I care about the Pats winning. Period. If every player on the Giants got hurt during SB 42 and the Pats won 142-0, I would have been overjoyed.

10. I don't feel any empathy whatsoever when an opposing player gets injured. .
Any yet your screen name is Darryl Stingley???:confused:

You railed on about Tatum when he died and rightfully so but he was just like you so I'm confused.

As for being a homer. IMHO it's the easy way out. You never critisize, bithc, moan, disagree with or otherwise challenge what the team is doing.

Homer's take things too far at times imo....resulting in heightened over sensitivity and defensiveness or even unnecessary nastiness and snark out of the blue. The latter just depends on how aggressive the person is from the outset.

So being a Homer is okay with me....but a "wicked" Homer? Well see above again. The word wicked is the key here. JMO though.

DS - some of the examples you've cited seem to be more a form of poor-sportsmanship than "homerism." I know this because I am guilty of a lot of these things. :)

If the Bruins (note I did not say MY team because there is only the Bruins in hockey.) lost the finals and I was there I would stay and watch the cup handed over, only to say I saw it in person once.
Other than that I could have written your post word for freakin word. None of that I wish he was on my team crap, No SB 42 highlights ever as well as the Buckner scar. If I lived anywhere else there would be no adopting the local team..Seahawks, Rockets, Tampa Bay hockey..are you kidding me?! I wouldn't be an obnoxious Boston fan, more of a stealth one unless asked and then your team sucks big time for all time and you can kiss my pro sports ass. Does this make me a homer?

Edit..
The Habs still suck the most forever.
MF Yankees next.
Footballs tough for me as the Habs and NY Dickwads have sucked since time began.
I can't even work up any venom for Al Davis' team and the Jets and Colts are to new so this space is blank and for rent.
Yes the Lakers suck. They sucked with Wilt, West, Magic and that great humanitarian Kobe. Suck suck suck.

Homer's take things too far at times imo....resulting in heightened over sensitivity and defensiveness or even unnecessary nastiness and snark out of the blue. The latter just depends on how aggressive the person is from the outset.

So being a Homer is okay with me....but a "wicked" Homer? Well see above again. The word wicked is the key here. JMO though.
I think what you are referring to is the Tampa Bay stuff. Not for nothing, you kind of ask for it.:shrug:

Any yet your screen name is Darryl Stingley???:confused:

You railed on about Tatum when he died and rightfully so but he was just like you so I'm confused.

As for being a homer. IMHO it's the easy way out. You never critisize, bithc, moan, disagree with or otherwise challenge what the team is doing.
A couple of things.

One, I don't want Patriot players to do what Tatum did -- both during the play and afterward. That said, if an opposing player can't play the rest of the game, then that increases the Pats' chances of winning. And that's good for me. But no, I'm not looking to see my players paralyze the opppostion and then behave like a douche afterward.

As for taking the easy way and challenging my team, that's not at all how I think of being a homer. I'm on record here for having torn Bill apart for the 4th and 13 call in SB 42, having criticized many of Theo's moves and a whole bunch of other moves by my teams. I LOVE analyzying decisions and plays and think that's a huge part of being a sports fan.

Good to see ya DS. I don't have any problem with you being a homer. Everyone is entitled to their own point of view.

Too bad the Steelers didn't lose too.

I don't know but if you say 'wicked' down here, people will look at you funny. lol

Back