JJ Watt Out Indefinitely

He's not though. He's just that good.

This may be sacrilegious to say up here but any chance that Bill pays Bennett next year and trades Gronk? I have to think the injury issues are starting to wear on Bill. Gronk would be 28 next year and still command a high return value.

Would love to see Gronkowski stay, break all the records, join tfb and bb as indisputable goats and then join them in the hall. But Bill will do what's best... So a perfectly valid q and not outside the realm.

Cheers

This may be sacrilegious to say up here but any chance that Bill pays Bennett next year and trades Gronk? I have to think the injury issues are starting to wear on Bill. Gronk would be 28 next year and still command a high return value.

The only thing holding me back from jumping on this bandwagon, is Bennett's already 30. You're gonna commit big money to him? It's not like Bennett's been free from injury either in his career (although certainly more durable than Gronkowski, and if he's healthy, he actually plays, and doesn't ask his Dad first).

The only thing holding me back from jumping on this bandwagon, is Bennett's already 30. You're gonna commit big money to him? It's not like Bennett's been free from injury either in his career (although certainly more durable than Gronkowski, and if he's healthy, he actually plays, and doesn't ask his Dad first).

Good point on Bennett's age. I thought he was Gronk's age not almost 30.

My overall feeling is get the heck away from this TE predicated offense where Gronk's absence paralyzes the team. I feel Bill did that somewhat this year by getting Bennett and Hogan and drafting Mitchell. I feel like we could get another TE opposite of Bennett for a lot less than Gronk and still be able to run the sets and diversify more at the offensive skills positions. Watching the team actually commit to the run and have success has been a real joy this year. Why not go that route some more too. Being sooo dependent on Gronk has really hurt this team the last 5 years.

I am all for Bill minimizing Gronk as much as possible to ensure this offense runs when his inevitable injuries pop up. I think he may have done that this year. We will know more when Brady gets back and we see how this offense is supposed to look.

Good point on Bennett's age. I thought he was Gronk's age not almost 30.

My overall feeling is get the heck away from this TE predicated offense where Gronk's absence paralyzes the team. I feel Bill did that somewhat this year by getting Bennett and Hogan and drafting Mitchell. I feel like we could get another TE opposite of Bennett for a lot less than Gronk and still be able to run the sets and diversify more at the offensive skills positions. Watching the team actually commit to the run and have success has been a real joy this year. Why not go that route some more too. Being sooo dependent on Gronk has really hurt this team the last 5 years.

I am all for Bill minimizing Gronk as much as possible to ensure this offense runs when his inevitable injuries pop up. I think he may have done that this year. We will know more when Brady gets back and we see how this offense is supposed to look.

Best case scenario if Daddy lets him play, is that you get Bennett and Gronkowski for a 2-year window, which is when I expect Brady to hang it up, despite all his protestations that he's going to play until he's 58. If he wins another ring in the next two years, I really feel like he'll walk.

Then maybe you'll get another year of that with Garoppolo, even thought Bennett will be at the end of his prime, and who knows what 2-year hangnail Gronkowski will be dealing with.

I think he tries to keep both, (and continue to go bargain basement for WRs).

I'd pump the brakes on the move from Gronk talk.

He's being managed by the club IMO.

It's just so happening to allign with TFBs return.

Poor Cleveland.

Disagree. He's being managed by Daddy.

Don't think there's any way in hell BB is standing for that.

He'd be packed up and shipped off for 40% market and Bill wouldn't give a F less.

No way he sits back and let's something like that shatter locker room cohesiveness.

If JJ Watt wanted to be a Pat...and would be willing to take a paycut...you would sign him asap. Admit it... :coffee:

Also, where IS Gronk at this year?!?!

Both of these players are very similar...

BB is no dummy.

From Pat's Pulpit.

Bill Belichick has right approach to managing injuries as Texans place J.J. Watt on IR

The Texans are losing their best player because they rushed him back from surgery too quickly.

by Rich Hill Sep 28, 2016, 12:00p

There have been some grumbles about how the Patriots have treated injuries over the past few years. TE Rob Gronkowski suffered a hamstring injury and he’s slowly worked his way back towards his first activity this past week. LB Dont’a Hightower was inactive after practicing all week.

This deliberately slow handling of injuries can cause some eyerolls in a sport that loves putting a premium on hyper-masculine rub some dirt on it mentalities. But it’s the smart and right decision for a perennial contender.

Just look at the Houston Texans. They just ruined the best defender in football.

Sources: #Texans star DL JJ Watt has re-injured his back and is expected to be out for an extended period of time. Could be the season.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 28, 2016

Texans are placing JJ Watt on injured reserve on Wednesday and resigning DE Antonio Smith, per league sources.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) September 28, 2016​

Texans DL J.J. Watt underwent back surgery over the summer and his projected return was set for late September. The Texans rushed him back to play week 1 instead of giving him those extra two or three weeks of rest. His season is now over.

Watt is a generational talent and a sheer force on the defensive line. He benefits from playing in a horrendous AFC South division, and Bill Belichick and the Patriots have no trouble scheming him out of games, but he’s a total force. He hasn’t looked that way all season and he was handled by Patriots RT Marcus Cannon pretty easily last week.

And now he’s gone. He’s easily the best player on that Texans roster and the cornerstone of what they do on defense. He was rushed back, reinjured, and is now out.

The Patriots learned their lesson in 2013 with the gross mishandling of TE Rob Gronkowski’s long list of injuries and surgeries, and that was a clear turning point in how head coach Bill Belichick looks at injuries.

Sacrificing a week or two of regular season play from a cornerstone player, like Gronkowski or Hightower or Jamie Collins, is not worth the risk of losing them for the full season.

Belichick has the right idea on how to handle these players and it goes beyond treating them like, you know, human beings. These stars aren’t at risk of losing their jobs if they take a couple weeks off to get fully healthy. Every party involved benefits from these players getting to 100% before taking the field.

That’s just the smart way to handle your investments.

R
BB is no dummy.

From Pat's Pulpit.

Texans DL J.J. Watt underwent back surgery over the summer and his projected return was set for late September. The Texans rushed him back to play week 1 instead of giving him those extra two or three weeks of rest. His season is now over.

Watt is a generational talent and a sheer force on the defensive line. He benefits from playing in a horrendous AFC South division, and Bill Belichick and the Patriots have no trouble scheming him out of games, but he’s a total force. He hasn’t looked that way all season and he was handled by Patriots RT Marcus Cannon pretty easily last week.

And now he’s gone. He’s easily the best player on that Texans roster and the cornerstone of what they do on defense. He was rushed back, reinjured, and is now out.
I can't agree that the Texans or their Drs rushed him back. Here's why...the doctors and trainers are 100% reliant on Watt to tell them how he feels to determine when he should come back. There is NO WAY for the doctors to determine his status by CT Scan, MRI, radiographs, toe pinch, pin prick or voodoo spell. 2 things would explain what happened.
1. Watt could have overstated how well he felt or
2. he could have actually felt well and more disc material prolapsed into the spinal canal, perhaps even during the Pats game.
It happens :shrug_n:. In fact, it's common. Re-herniation following microdiscectomy occurs in at least 40% of patients within 2-8 weeks of surgery and requires a 2nd procedure. Blaming the Texans shows a poor understanding of the problem and the procedure.

This is the major problem with minimally invasive disc surgery. It's become popular with surgeons because sometimes it works great and even if a 2nd procedure is needed, functional recovery is 3-6 wks and the scar is 3/4 of an inch. BFD.

It's possible that now Watt and his Drs have opted for a full or partial laminectomy which is a more aggressive (and definitive) approach to IV Disc disease.
Hemilaminectomy - partial

Full laminectomy (less likely due to reduced strength imo)

R

I can't agree that the Texans or their Drs rushed him back. Here's why...the doctors and trainers are 100% reliant on Watt to tell them how he feels to determine when he should come back. There is NO WAY for the doctors to determine his status by CT Scan, MRI, radiographs, toe pinch, pin prick or voodoo spell. 2 things would explain what happened.
2. he could have actually felt well and more disc material prolapsed into the spinal canal, perhaps even during the Pats game.
It happens :shrug_n:. In fact, it's common. Re-herniation following microdiscectomy occurs in at least 40% of patients within 2-8 weeks of surgery and requires a 2nd procedure. Blaming the Texans shows a poor understanding of the problem and the procedure.

This is the major problem with minimally invasive disc surgery. It's become popular with surgeons because sometimes it works great and even if a 2nd procedure is needed, functional recovery is 3-6 wks and the scar is 3/4 of an inch. BFD.

It's possible that now Watt and his Drs have opted for a full or partial laminectomy which is a more aggressive (and definitive) approach to IV Disc disease.
Hemilaminectomy - partial

Full laminectomy (less likely due to reduced strength imo)

Only problem I have with that is they had to have seen him practice and move. He just look weak. Hurt. I think both sides handled it poorly tbh.

And I hate seeing these great talents wasted on inept teams. So frustrating. And he really is something else.

R

I think it was obvious in week 1 that he was close to himself and still recovering. To try to come back from back surgery in six weeks seems like suicide to me. What is even stranger is that they had him play as much as they did on the short week vs the Pats. He absolutely should have had that game off. It is not surprising that is when he re-injured it. Watt is as tough as nails so I am sure he said he was fine as he wants to play but this is 100 percent on the medical staff IMO.

BTW, I think the Seahawks are in the same boat with Wilson. No way he should play this week vs the putrid Jets on a severely sprained ankle on one leg and a sprained MCL on the other. They are playing with fire big time IMO.

I think it was obvious in week 1 that he was close to himself and still recovering. To try to come back from back surgery in six weeks seems like suicide to me. What is even stranger is that they had him play as much as they did on the short week vs the Pats. He absolutely should have had that game off. It is not surprising that is when he re-injured it. Watt is as tough as nails so I am sure he said he was fine as he wants to play but this is 100 percent on the medical staff IMO.

BTW, I think the Seahawks are in the same boat with Wilson. No way he should play this week vs the putrid Jets on a severely sprained ankle on one leg and a sprained MCL on the other. They are playing with fire big time IMO.

Won't argue with this except to note that while putrid may not be totally inaccurate in scoring the jests, the hags, netoriously slow starters are heading eastbound three time zones against a team they can't take lightly. I don't know how bad either the ankle or decision might be, but the game can't be, imo, viewed as easy.

Go Pats!

Cheers

Back