LOL Spags

HSanders

disgusted and pissed
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/30/steve-spagnuolo-brings-back-patriots-cheating-claim/
Steve Spagnuolo brings back Patriots cheating claim
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 30, 2018, 10:44 AM EST

Getty Images
With the Patriots in the Super Bowl, all the grievances against them are being aired by old foes.

And former Eagles assistant Steve Spagnuolo has claimed that he believes the Patriots were cheating during Super Bowl XXXIX. Spagnuolo was the linebackers coach for the Eagles at the time, and said the Patriots knew their signals.

He obviously figured out how to prevent in three years later, when he was the defensive coordinator for the Giants and they beat the undefeated Patriots, but he’s still carrying a grudge.

“The biggest thing we learned was make sure you have two signal-callers, not one signal-caller,” Spagnuolo said during an interview with 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia (via Newsday). “Because they may have all your signals.”

While it seems forever ago, that came at a time when Spy was the gate of preference after they were caught stealing signals from the Jets. And Spagnuolo said that after the Super Bowl win over the Eagles, he became convinced they were up to something.

“I remember through the course of the game [defensive coordinator Jim Johnson] saying, ‘They’re getting our signals. They know when we’re blitzing . . . Try to hide it, etc. etc,’ ” Spagnuolo said. “I remember distinctly thinking, ‘Jim I don’t think that’s true.’ Now I’m not saying this to him, because I don’t want to upset him. I’m saying it to myself. ‘I don’t think so, Jim. Just concentrate on calling the game.’ ’’

But the more he thought about it, he decided Johnson was correct.

“In hindsight, he was right,” he said. “When you go back and look at that tape, it was evident to us. . . .

“I’m not crying over spilled milk here, but we believed that Tom knew when we were pressuring, because he certainly got the ball out pretty quick. But, you know, you got to play the game, and they won that particular day.”

Spagnuolo said he was careful to apply the lesson in the future. And as long as the Patriots are in the midst of their incredible run of success, Spagnuolo won’t be the last one to accuse them of doing it in an underhanded way.

What was more impressive in that game was how the Patriots cheated by somehow sticking their fingers in McNabb's mouth forcing him to throw up.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

What was more impressive in that game was how the Patriots cheated by somehow sticking their fingers in McNabb's mouth forcing him to throw up.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

All you'd need to do would be to somehow slip charcoal into his water. Pretty reliably invokes vomiting.

But I'm sure you already knew that...

:poke:

The Patriots used their stolen signals to score to a blistering 0 points in the first quarter of that game.
It's a well know fact that the Patriots wait 'till the second quarter and sometimes even later in the game (like when they are down by 25 points) to start using the unfair advantage they gain by taping practices. That way they can avoid raising suspicions.
Also the only way Bill can orgasm these days is by letting other teams believe that they can win and then crushing their dreams in the most cruel ways imaginable.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/30/steve-spagnuolo-brings-back-patriots-cheating-claim/
Steve Spagnuolo brings back Patriots cheating claim
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 30, 2018, 10:44 AM EST

Getty Images
With the Patriots in the Super Bowl, all the grievances against them are being aired by old foes.

And former Eagles assistant Steve Spagnuolo has claimed that he believes the Patriots were cheating during Super Bowl XXXIX. Spagnuolo was the linebackers coach for the Eagles at the time, and said the Patriots knew their signals.

He obviously figured out how to prevent in three years later, when he was the defensive coordinator for the Giants and they beat the undefeated Patriots, but he’s still carrying a grudge.

“The biggest thing we learned was make sure you have two signal-callers, not one signal-caller,” Spagnuolo said during an interview with 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia (via Newsday). “Because they may have all your signals.”

While it seems forever ago, that came at a time when Spy was the gate of preference after they were caught stealing signals from the Jets. And Spagnuolo said that after the Super Bowl win over the Eagles, he became convinced they were up to something.

“I remember through the course of the game [defensive coordinator Jim Johnson] saying, ‘They’re getting our signals. They know when we’re blitzing . . . Try to hide it, etc. etc,’ ” Spagnuolo said. “I remember distinctly thinking, ‘Jim I don’t think that’s true.’ Now I’m not saying this to him, because I don’t want to upset him. I’m saying it to myself. ‘I don’t think so, Jim. Just concentrate on calling the game.’ ’’

But the more he thought about it, he decided Johnson was correct.

“In hindsight, he was right,” he said. “When you go back and look at that tape, it was evident to us. . . .

“I’m not crying over spilled milk here, but we believed that Tom knew when we were pressuring, because he certainly got the ball out pretty quick. But, you know, you got to play the game, and they won that particular day.”

Spagnuolo said he was careful to apply the lesson in the future. And as long as the Patriots are in the midst of their incredible run of success, Spagnuolo won’t be the last one to accuse them of doing it in an underhanded way.

Bedard responds for us. https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com...isnt-off-super-start-brady-spagnuolo-stories/

At 9:37 p.m., the New York Post — always a beacon for reputable and responsible journalism — published this breathless headline:
Spagnuolo emerges with claim: Patriots stole Super Bowl signals
The crux of the story (DO NOT click that): the man responsible for coordinating the Giants’ defense that ended the Patriots’ quest of a 19-0 season in 2007 said that while he was a defensive assistant with the Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX against the Patriots, Philadelphia defensive coordinator Jim Johnson thought the Patriots had figured out the Eagles’ blitz.

“Getting” an opponent’s signals — which is how Johnson termed it to Spagnuolo — is not illegal. It’s been going on in every sport since the dawn of organized competition. If you’re dumb enough not to change your signals at some point, then a relatively smart opponent is going figure out that, for example, making a lasso motion with one hand means a strong-side blitz.
The other part of decoding signals is that teams send advanced scouts on the road to, among other things, look through binoculars from the press box and record signals from the bench that can later be matched up with game film. This is what’s called football. They do this in high school.

I’ve watched the TV copy of the game and if the Patriots had the Eagles’ signals, they sure waited long enough to use them: the game was tied 14-14 into the fourth quarter, and the Patriots converted 1 of 5 third downs in the first half. And here’s the bottom line: the Eagles’ pressure was effective for most of the game. Against the blitz, Brady was 13 of 20 for 132 yards (83.8 passer rating), and he fumbled once in the red zone. Brady also had just one completion for 5 yards on his final five attempts against the blitz.
Let’s also not rewrite history. Johnson, who died in 2009, was known for bringing more pressure than his peers. He was aggressive, and he was a gambler. The double A-gap pressures that you see in today’s NFL (with linebackers lined up over the center) were practically invented by Johnson.
In the first half alone, Johnson blitzed Brady on 11 of 19 dropbacks (57.9 percent — a huge amount). Even TV analyst Cris Collinsworth could sense what was going on after the first drive.
“Now you’re seeing some of the strategy for Tom Brady and the Patriots: they know the Eagles are going to blitz,” Collinsworth said.

The biggest reason why the Patriots were moderately effective against the Eagles’ pressure was that their linebackers kept tipping their hands when Brady used cadence against them. Both Collinsworth and Troy Aikman said on the telecast that Brady was baiting the Eagles and then resetting his protection as a result. In fact, the Eagles telegraphed 15 of their 20 blitzes.

The Eagles often used zone coverage behind the blitzes. As we all know by now, Brady has carved up zone blitzes from the likes of Dick LeBeau and others since about 2004. Why? Because if you have a smart quarterback and the players around him execute the protection, then there are gaping holes to throw into. Spagnuolo mentioned that in that same interview as well, but it was left out of the Post’s clickbait.

“When you’re bringing zone pressures — which we did a lot of in ’04, ’05 — there are some holes in there, you’re really banking on the pressure getting there in time and knocking it down or preventing the QB from getting it out. And when he does get it out, it gets a little dicey (for the defense), you have to rely on guys rallying to the football.”

Zone pressures, outside of a few plays here and there, are largely extinct in today’s NFL because of quarterbacks like Brady and smart teams like the Patriots.
But don’t let that get in the way of a good (clickbait) story.

I'm sure the Pats did have the signals, or picked up on them quickly. Not that it matters, but it makes for fun in the media.

Also,

An NFL defensive coordinator in 2004 didn't know this? In the late 90s at Michigan we had 4 signal callers with rotating 1 being live because the other team could see our signals. Because, y'know, we're signaling right out there in front of 110,000 people.

I'm sure the Pats did have the signals, or picked up on them quickly. Not that it matters, but it makes for fun in the media.

Also,

An NFL defensive coordinator in 2004 didn't know this? In the late 90s at Michigan we had 4 signal callers with rotating 1 being live because the other team could see our signals. Because, y'know, we're signaling right out there in front of 110,000 people.

The college game is often more innovative than the NFL. :coffee:

:coffee:

Patriots Daily‏ @PatriotsDaily
Steve Spagnuolo says NE had the Eagles' signals in SB39. But what of
Spagnuolo's Giants in SB42? Antonio Pierce admitted on EEI they had
Brady's audibles and hand signals, so when Brady called out the mike, they
changed their blitz to the side they knew wouldn't have protection.

Cheatin' Giants & Coughlin. Kensil

If the media isn't click-baiting...they're not trying.

:coffee:

Even Dan Patrick admitted that all media will use sensationalism and click-baiting to stay in busines...including him.

Spags was just on with Zo and Bertrand. He says that the story was taken out of context by the writer. He absolutely does not believe that the Patriots cheated or did anything wrong and the writer left that part of the interview out of the article. He believes the Patriots did a great job of scouting and the blame was on the Philly coaching staff for not switching things up.

Spags was just on with Zo and Bertrand. He says that the story was taken out of context by the writer. He absolutely does not believe that the Patriots cheated or did anything wrong and the writer left that part of the interview out of the article. He believes the Patriots did a great job of scouting and the blame was on the Philly coaching staff for not switching things up.

Maybe it was the writer, but that sounds like him trying to not get ripped a new one. I thought he and someone else were on a radio show and were saying the same thing about "cheating" patriots, etc etc.

Maybe it was the writer, but that sounds like him trying to not get ripped a new one. I thought he and someone else were on a radio show and were saying the same thing about "cheating" patriots, etc etc.

he is playing to the market he is on, typical fence sitting

Back