Looking at the AFC East - 2015

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
The Bills and Jets have 2 of the best front 7's in the NFL. Imo, the Bills are a decent QB away from having a very good team. They have an above avg stable of receivers in Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin and TE Scott Chandler. Miami is on the verge of re-signing Tannehill which I think is a good move but the money being discussed is absurd. Tannehill needs some better receivers.

I rank the East

1. Pats
2. Bills
3. Dolphins
4. Jets

Buffalo Bills

0ap3000000469734.jpg

The Bills boldly moved up a few spots in the 2014 NFL Draft to pluck Sammy Watkins with the fourth overall pick -- and the rookie pass catcher didn't disappoint, posting 982 receiving yards and six touchdowns as Buffalo's designated playmaker. Although critics would suggest the team could've stayed at its original position (No. 9) and still landed a Pro Bowl-caliber receiver (see: Odell Beckham, who went to the Giants at No. 12), the fact that the Bills identified their guy and got positive results from him should earn them a solid review. They also received better-than-anticipated production from linebacker Preston Brown and offensive lineman Seantrel Henderson when they were pressed into action due to injuries and inconsistent play by those above them. Offensive lineman Cyrus Kouandjio is an unknown commodity at this point, but if he develops into a serviceable starter, this class could play a pivotal role in Buffalo's re-emergence as a playoff participant under a new regime. Grade: B
Combine focus: The lack of a first-round pick in 2015 -- it was surrendered to the Cleveland Browns in the deal that resulted in Watkins -- prevents the Bills from addressing their quarterback situation in the draft. Still, the team can add a few pieces to enhance an offense that's on the cusp of leading a playoff run. The offensive line needs some work along the interior, meaning Buffalo should take an extensive look at guys like Duke's Laken Tomlinson, South Carolina's A.J. Cann and Florida State's Tre' Jackson. Additionally, the Bills could explore the possibility of adding a dynamic tight end, like Minnesota's Maxx Williams or Miami's Clive Walford.
Miami Dolphins

0ap3000000469736.jpg

The Dolphins landed a couple of key contributors with their first two selections in the 2014 draft. Ja'Wuan James filled a huge need at right tackle and delivered a solid performance as a first-year starter. Jarvis Landry is a standout possession receiver with strong hands and grit. After playing a key role as the WR3, Landry could work into the starting lineup as a second-year pro. Miami didn't get much from North Dakota State's Billy Turner, but the former small-school standout could develop into a serviceable starter down the road. Grade: C+
Combine focus: The Dolphins must shore up their defense down the middle, particularly at defensive tackle and inside linebacker. Thus, coach Joe Philbin and staff will spend a lot of time assessing the football character and athleticism of rugged run stoppers like Washington DT Danny Shelton, Texas NT Malcom Brown and Oklahoma DT Jordan Phillips or kick the tires on an athletic three-technique like Florida State DT Eddie Goldman. At inside linebacker, Mississippi State's Benardrick McKinney will garner serious interest as the top Mike linebacker on the board, but Miami's Denzel Perryman and UCLA's Eric Kendricks will be in play, as well.
New England Patriots

0ap3000000469739.jpg

The reigning Super Bowl champions are driven by a veteran-led roster featuring some of the best players in the game at their respective positions. The spectacular play of quarterback Tom Brady and cornerback Darrelle Revis allowed rookies to work in anonymity for the Patriots. Though defensive tackle Dominique Easley and backup signal-caller Jimmy Garoppolo barely saw the field as first-year pros, both offer enticing potential. Bryan Stork and Cameron Fleming helped shore up the offensive line as key role players down the stretch. Cornerback Malcolm Butler didn't get a lot of action during the regular season, but his contributions in the Super Bowl -- including that game-clinching pick -- suggested the undrafted rookie was groomed for his role through diligent work on the practice field. Despite the overall group's minimal impact early in the season, the unheralded trio of Stork, Fleming and Butler gave this team something to build off down the stretch. Grade: C+
Combine focus: Yes, they captured the Lombardi Trophy in impressive fashion -- but the Patriots need to add some playmakers on the perimeter. A speedy receiver like Ohio State's Devin Smith or Miami's Phillip Dorsett could command their attention, as might a versatile, big-bodied target like Stanford's Ty Montgomery (6-foot-2, 220 pounds). With New England also searching for an all-purpose back, Miami's Duke Johnson and Alabama's T.J. Yeldon could find themselves under New England's microscope.
New York Jets

0ap3000000469740.jpg

The lack of chemistry between front office and coaching staff was certainly reflected in the Jets' 2014 rookie class. Safety Calvin Pryor was expected to act as the monster in the middle of the defense, but he suffered through an up-and-down season and recorded few splash plays. Tight end Jace Amaro gave Geno Smith and Michael Vick a big-bodied target to lean on in key moments, but he didn't provide the playmaking prowess needed to spark a sagging offense. The rest of the class offered scant contributions as backups, spot players and special teamers. This group clearly failed to live up to the expectations of the since-fired duo of coach Rex Ryan and GM John Idzik. Grade: D
Combine on NFL Network
0ap3000000469008.jpg
In advance of the draft, Marcus Mariota and others will look to showcase their skills at the combine (Feb. 17-23), only on NFL Network. SCHEDULE

Combine focus: From the quarterback position to wide receiver to pass rusher, the Jets need a number of blue-chip players to compete with the elite teams in the AFC. Completing a thorough examination of the character and talents of Oregon's Marcus Mariota and Florida State's Jameis Winston will be a top priority in Indianapolis, but team officials will also take extended looks at a pair of pass catchers (Alabama's Amari Cooper and West Virginia's Kevin White) and an intriguing pass rusher (Nebraska's Randy Gregory) to determine the best way to rebuild Gang Green.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0a...rookie-grades-buffalo-bills-building-a-winner

SOJs

Agreed. The Bills are this year's "are going to push the Pats in the division but will ultimately fail" team replacing Miami last year.

Agreed. The Bills are this year's "are going to push the Pats in the division but will ultimately fail" team replacing Miami last year.

Especially when Rex continues to unapologetically stack the team with bullies-
Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson incoming....

Percy Harvin, anyone?

The guy is a hugely dynamic player (incl return guy) who might not (due to being a headcase) have many teams interested in his services. It's not like the Pats shy away from such players.

Maybe an affordable option on a prove it type deal which the Pats seemingly love to do ........

http://t.co/gXuLB5IcpE

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini believes the Jets will release Percy Harvin before March 19.

March 19 is important because if Harvin is on the roster, the Jets will owe the Seahawks a fourth-round pick. If he's not on the roster, the Jets will only have to send Seattle a sixth-rounder. Considering the Jets can wash their hands completely clean of Harvin's $10.5 million salary without a dead-money hit makes the decision even easier. Harvin is electric when healthy, so he'd be a highly-interesting player to track should he hit the market. And it sounds like he will.

Percy Harvin, anyone?

The guy is a hugely dynamic player (incl return guy) who might not (due to being a headcase) have many teams interested in his services. It's not like the Pats shy away from such players.

Maybe an affordable option on a prove it type deal which the Pats seemingly love to do ........

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini believes the Jets will release Percy Harvin before March 19.

March 19 is important because if Harvin is on the roster, the Jets will owe the Seahawks a fourth-round pick. If he's not on the roster, the Jets will only have to send Seattle a sixth-rounder. Considering the Jets can wash their hands completely clean of Harvin's $10.5 million salary without a dead-money hit makes the decision even easier. Harvin is electric when healthy, so he'd be a highly-interesting player to track should he hit the market. And it sounds like he will.

Percy Harvin's a dog.

No thank you. :coffee:

Harvin is poison. He caused ructions in the hawks dressing room. He's just a p**ck pure and simple.

"Bad boys" the pats have taken in the past weren't really bad at all. Just typically players who didnt get along with their low grade coaches at the time. Or maybe a player who has been in trouble with the cops once for a minor misdeamenour. The pats wouldn't take someone who was locker room poison. The pats always have a very tight group of players who all get on well.

Call me crazy, but I heard repeatedly on EEI today the possibility of Denver purposely having PeyPey fail his physical therefore allowing a clean release.. If that happens, I'm wondering if Rexy will try to land him in Buffalo, which WOULD make it possible for Buffalo to possibly give us a divisional run for the first time in a long time. Though considering PeyPey's fondness for cold and windy weather I'd think Miami a more likely landing spot if he were to come to the AFC east.

Call me crazy, but I heard repeatedly on EEI today the possibility of Denver purposely having PeyPey fail his physical therefore allowing a clean release.. If that happens, I'm wondering if Rexy will try to land him in Buffalo, which WOULD make it possible for Buffalo to possibly give us a divisional run for the first time in a long time. Though considering PeyPey's fondness for cold and windy weather I'd think Miami a more likely landing spot if he were to come to the AFC east.

Yeah, I heard that. Can't see him going to such a cold weather spit that's even worse than Denver. Miami is extending Tannehill with likely $100 mil contract.

If Paymeaton is out of Denver aned still wants to play, warm weather Houston and JJ Watt looks mighty inviting...

Poor, jinxed Mallett ends up behind another HOF QB...

I can't believe there are people who still think WR is a high priority for this team.

The other teams in the AFCEast get more flak than they really deserve. There have been few dominant teams out of them, but they've always been statistically average. When you play the best team of the past 15 years twice a year, there are going to be games where you get blown out and it's created this notion that the division sucks and give the Patriots 6 free wins every year.

I think the Jets are much closer to being a wild card team than people give them credit. Last year they lost just because Geno Smith would gift the other team 14 points a game. They have plenty of cap space thanks to blind stupidity and short sightedness fired Idzik after he cleaned up their entire cap situation and Ryan who had shown he could coach a championship calibre team.

Bills always seem to find ways to underachieve. They could have the best defense in the NFL this season, but ultimately they don't have enough on offense, especially if Spiller walks. Maybe with improved coaching they start winning games they should win.

Dolphins are unspectacularly decent and unreliable.

Patriots are still clearly the front runners at this point, but it's not like we have the benefit of a team or two who is just devoid of talent anymore like we did for a couple years and many divisions have had for forever (Jags, Raiders, etc.) The Jets are the worst team in our division and they have far more talent their relative peers as far as record goes.

Percy Harvin, anyone?

BB kicked the tires on Harvin before the Seahacks traded for him.

The guy has a lot of talent (mad skills yo), a loose cannon though.

BB "could" turn the guy around...next year's project if the price is right?

The Bills will be tough for 2-3 years, until Rex's expiration date kicks in.

The Bills have a really good cap situation for 2015 since they are finally rid of the dead money woes caused by releasing Ryan Fitzpatrick. In 2014 the Bills had $45M in dead money, 2nd most in the NFL.
For 2015 the Bills have $5M in dead money wh/ they will spend thanks to their new owners. Let's hope they don't spend it wisely.

I can't believe there are people who still think WR is a high priority for this team.

Bills always seem to find ways to underachieve. They could have the best defense in the NFL this season, but ultimately they don't have enough on offense, especially if Spiller walks. Maybe with improved coaching they start winning games they should win.

Dolphins are unspectacularly decent and unreliable.

Patriots are still clearly the front runners at this point, but it's not like we have the benefit of a team or two who is just devoid of talent anymore like we did for a couple years and many divisions have had for forever (Jags, Raiders, etc.) The Jets are the worst team in our division and they have far more talent their relative peers as far as record goes.

Depends on what you mean by "high priority". If it means bringing in a high profile FA or spending a 1st, 2nd or maybe even a 3rd round draft pick then I'm with you. If you're talking about a 4th or later draft pick then you lose me. Dobson will never be more than a #2 WR for any team and for the Pats he's presently a #5 WR. LaFell is our #3 behind both JE and Amendola. That means we have no one other than Boyce backing up our #1 and #2 WRs and Dobson is currently a backup to Tyms who is a backup to LaFell.

JE (and DA) saved our bacon in the playoffs and I don't know near enough about Boyce to say he can be a viable backup to either player. What I can say is we're fortunate neither JE nor DA had a significant injury. I also can't say for sure that LaFell is capable of taking up the slack should JE have a 4-5 game injury when he's replaced by Boyce. Also consider how Gronk would benefit with a LaFell upgrade playing on the field with him.

I see a need for 2 WRs. I'm currently leaning toward a big (6'3"220 min) physical outside receiver in the 4th or 5th rnd as a backup to LaFell with an eye to eventually replacing LaFell in a couple of years. I'm not looking for a speedster, I'm looking for a Boldin type. This 2015 WR draft has more depth than even last year so that's entirely possible to do. (In this draft Dobson would be projected in the 5th rnd) I also see a need for another backup to JE and DA especially if Boyce continues to have difficulty with the play book and chemistry with Brady.

Alternatively, Dobson could hit the roids and gain 180 degrees of awesome nastiness along with 20 lbs of strength to back it up. And Boyce could suddenly hit the books to become someone Brady can trust.

Buffalo was 9-7 last year. The Bills gain $40M in cap space for 2015 bc of their horrendous dead money issues the last 2 years. Rex is now the coach of the best front 7 in the league and if there's anything Rex can do it's coach defense. There is no way the Bills under achieve under Rex. On offense, the Bills are loaded with young WR talent in Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Chris Hogan and Marquise Goodwin. The Bills currently have 1 QB, Manuel, on their roster so you know they'll add a veteran FA to push/teach/take over for Manuel (Sanchez I'm betting), 1 from the draft and another one along the way as a camp arm. I think you're under selling the reality of the Bills' offense and, in my mind, you're grossly under selling their potential.

Peyton will go where Archie tells him to. He is the one who runs the Mannings. Houston or Tennessee would be my guesses.

No chance he's back in Denver next year. $20MM cap hit for a guy who is clearly fading fast. Denver is doing the right thing in dumping him IMHO

Peyton will go where Archie tells him to. He is the one who runs the Mannings. Houston or Tennessee would be my guesses.

No chance he's back in Denver next year. $20MM cap hit for a guy who is clearly fading fast. Denver is doing the right thing in dumping him IMHO

Yeah.

Sad to say but I think Denver may pull out of this ok.

In enacting the failed physical they get $20 mil cap relief. And WW retiring gets another $6 mil. That should enable them to keep the Thomas's.

The only question is QB.

Is Buck Rottweiller ready?

I think the Jets are much closer to being a wild card team than people give them credit.
Technically, you are correct. I think the Jets have no chance at a wild card, but I see your point that they have very little chance. So you give them more credit than I do.

Exactly. That's two reasons the Jets have zero chance at a wild card:

1) As you say, the Bills and Dolphins are both better than the Jets. That alone makes their getting a wild card a long shot.

2) Even if they somehow do better than one of the Bills and Dolphins, assuming Ravens-Broncos-Colts take the other division, the Jets are up against the Steelers, Bengals, Texans, Chiefs and Chargers, five teams better than the Jets.

Back