Make your prediction! Mac Jones will be named the starter....

What game will Mac Jones be named the starter?

• Game 1

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Game 2

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Game 3

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Game 4

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Game 5

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Game 6

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Game 7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Game 8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Game 9 or later.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Not this year.

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll create some sort of profile trophy for the winners. Make the prediction now before we see too much.

It doesn't mean coming in and playing. The prediction is named the starter and taking the first snap of the game.

Poll closes in 7 days.

So soon? Ok, but I'll take my guess after a few more practices.
After 1 practice I like that Jones is moving rapidly through his progressions. His throw for a TD to Agholor was beautiful; Agholor was his 3rd read.
Cam had a run for a TD on a broken play in his very first attempt.
Both QBs made some good throws and some poor throws. Drops are affecting the stats of both QBs.
Nothing was decided on day 1.

Week 3.
I’d like to say out of TC, but I think Cam will be given two chances, and if he’s average at best, it’ll be Mac the Knife time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The excuses are over for Cam. If he can't follow BB motto. Do your job. Repeats his performance from last year He will be benched for Jones by Brady's return.

Last edited:
I'm saying no, and I hope that I'm right. I'd rather that he has few games of seeing and studying NFL games at full speed before being throw in right off.

This one is easy.

As I've mentioned before, the scenario that I'm rooting for is game 4.

Of course, lots of people would say that would be total madness. Foolishness. You wouldn't want to send a punk kid who barely has his pubes to square off against the GOAT.

You might hurt his confidence and ruin him. It's too much to ask of any rookie. I mean, everybody thinks we don't have a chance against the World Champs, so why not just
prop Cam up and let him take a beating? He's used to it, plus, half the dopes in the stadium want to see Brady come in here and win, for some bizarre reason.

However, I think this is exactly how the stars will align. Mac will progress ahead of schedule and Bill will find himself deciding that Jones gives the team the best chance to beat Tampa and
unceremoniously announce him as the starter, because emotion doesn't factor in, to him. Time to kick the little birdie out of the nest and watch him spread his wings. The football world goes crazy and monks in Tibet start hiking a hundred miles through the Himalayas to find the nearest satellite TV because they are curious as hell to see what will happen.

The Tuscaloosa Kid will square off against the Old Gunslinger with all those notches in his belt. Ticket prices, which have averaged between 200 and a thousand bucks will
go ever higher as it becomes the most-anticipated regular season football game of all-time.

A sportswriter's dream. Kid_Colt_Outlaw_144_36pg_c2c_brigus_00_FC.jpg

This one is easy.

Of course, lots of people would say that would be total madness. Foolishness. You wouldn't want to send a punk kid who barely has his pubes to square off against the GOAT.

You might hurt his confidence and ruin him. It's too much to ask of any rookie. I mean, everybody thinks we don't have a chance against the World Champs, so why not just
prop Cam up and let him take a beating? He's used to it, plus, half the dopes in the stadium want to see Brady come in here and win, for some bizarre reason.

However, I think this is exactly how the stars will align. Mac will progress ahead of schedule and Bill will find himself deciding that Jones gives the team the best chance to beat Tampa and
unceremoniously announce him as the starter, because emotion doesn't factor in, to him. Time to kick the little birdie out of the nest and watch him spread his wings. The football world goes crazy and monks in Tibet start hiking a hundred miles through the Himalayas to find the nearest satellite TV because they are curious as hell to see what will happen.

The Tuscaloosa Kid will square off against the Old Gunslinger with all those notches in his belt. Ticket prices, which have averaged between 200 and a thousand bucks will
go ever higher as it becomes the most-anticipated regular season football game of all-time.

A sportswriter's dream. View attachment 5465

Freaking love it Hawg. Logical, entertaining and with a flourish. :thumb:

I voted week five as it makes sense, I guess after the Brady game. But Hawg has me hoping against hope he plays in that game. Damn the level of excitement would be tremendous and much needed after the travesty of last year's sports world.

This one is easy.

A sportswriter's dream. View attachment 5465
I actually think this is a pretty logical thing to do. Put him in for a game no one expects him to win. If he doesn't throw up all over himself, it's a win. Assuming no injuries, we have the OL to protect him which should keep a nasty snowball effect from happening. TB's defense isn't known for being particularly tricksy, just active, athletic, and phenomenally sound. They won't have much for film on him, and there's plenty of skill around him, so he'd have a punchers chance to pull out the win. Do that, and his confidence is soaring. Keep it respectable, he comes out a winner.

You just need to have confidence that the kid isn't going to go into Darnold-Ghost territory. You've got to know the personalities involved, and we don't. But based on what we do know he may have the personality to embrace that kind of big moment.

All that said, it would be an even bigger, better moment if it happened organically: down 13 late in the second quarter, Cam scrambles, takes a big hit, and goes down with a minor injury that knocks him out for a bit. Mac comes in, completes 3 of 4 to set up a FG going into the half, then comes out of the locker room and leads a TD drive to cut it to 3 right out of the blocks in the 3rd. Cam is ready to go.

Now what?

I actually think this is a pretty logical thing to do. Put him in for a game no one expects him to win. If he doesn't throw up all over himself, it's a win. Assuming no injuries, we have the OL to protect him which should keep a nasty snowball effect from happening. TB's defense isn't known for being particularly tricksy, just active, athletic, and phenomenally sound. They won't have much for film on him, and there's plenty of skill around him, so he'd have a punchers chance to pull out the win. Do that, and his confidence is soaring. Keep it respectable, he comes out a winner.

You just need to have confidence that the kid isn't going to go into Darnold-Ghost territory. You've got to know the personalities involved, and we don't. But based on what we do know he may have the personality to embrace that kind of big moment.

All that said, it would be an even bigger, better moment if it happened organically: down 13 late in the second quarter, Cam scrambles, takes a big hit, and goes down with a minor injury that knocks him out for a bit. Mac comes in, completes 3 of 4 to set up a FG going into the half, then comes out of the locker room and leads a TD drive to cut it to 3 right out of the blocks in the 3rd. Cam is ready to go.

Now what?

Glad to hear it, Flagg. You get it. Mac showed in College that he's not a hot-house flower, like Sammy D. who wilted so bad against Ohio State that it should have warned scouts off of him. Thankfully, the Jets didn't seem to study that one.

I'm sure that there are plenty of coaches who would be too afraid to give a prize rookie QB his first start under that spotlight (although your scenario is great) and take a chance on shattering his mojo, but I think Bill is the one guy that could take all the heat and not worry about pulling the trigger. It's football. If he thinks Jones is ready then he'd stick him in there and sleep, well, not like a baby, but he'd get his usual 4 hours.

My brother Jerry thinks Bill is giving Mac harder scenarios to face in practice than Cam. I don't know if this is true, but that's how you know when Bill likes a kid. When he tries to find out what
their limits are by doing exactly that. Maybe see how Mac handles himself against that Washington D line, which is pretty good. Or give him every snap in Philly with full boat responsibilities.

Preseason doesn't prove much of anything, but you can definitely get some indications of what the Bossman is thinking.

Cam gets hurt in game 3, setting the stage for his first ever start to be Tom Brady's return home game.

Poor bastard.

I say he will start against the Titans, whatever week that is.
Yep week 12 against the Tits. ten days after a Thursday night game to get him working exclusively with the starters, two games then the bye to go over in depth what the coaches are seeing. The team is in it for the long haul with the kid.

Back