Mike Mitchell goes off

I love how the options are "serious traumatic brain injury" football and flag football.

Like, dude, one of your teammates appeared to have been paralyzed from the waist down two days ago. I get the frustration from a defensive player trying to avoid illegal hits going a million miles an hour. I get that. It's a valid point that needs to be discussed.

But there is some grey area between flag football and can't remember yours kids names in 10 years football.

I love how the options are "serious traumatic brain injury" football and flag football.

Like, dude, one of your teammates appeared to have been paralyzed from the waist down two days ago. I get the frustration from a defensive player trying to avoid illegal hits going a million miles an hour. I get that. It's a valid point that needs to be discussed.

But there is some grey area between flag football and can't remember yours kids names in 10 years football.

Let's lower their pay grade then. And the ticket price...
They know what they are signing up for. They've played the game their entire lives in most instances. All this BS is doing is making it more difficult (and I believe more dangerous) for them to play the game

They know what they are signing up for. They've played the game their entire lives in most instances. All this BS is doing is making it more difficult (and I believe more dangerous) for them to play the game

You know these are people right?

You know these are people right?

Yes.

You know it's not natural to have to think about how to react in a split second, right?

Are there are less injuries now than in the 70's ?

Fix the fields, improve the equipment, but leave the natural instincts of the game alone.

too late.

Yes.

You know it's not natural to have to think about how to react in a split second, right?

Are there are less injuries now than in the 70's ?

So are we about to argue not being allowed to tackle with your face makes the game unsafe? Please tell me you're not about to try and convince me that making it against the rules to slam your brain again another brain hurts the players somehow.

I understand that enourmous guys moving a million miles an hour will make head shots impossible to completely prevent. But that doesn't mean it should be legal.

Edit: Yeah, let's leave the "instincts" that create Mike Websters. That's what the game needs. More cautionary tales.

The salaries of the players are not a result of the inherent dangers of football. They're getting paid based on the amount of revenue they generate for the owners.

By this logic, soccer and basketball players should be making significantly less money relative to football players, yet they make considerably more money. By this logic, football games should be considerably more expensive to attend than other professional sporting events, yet they aren't.

One of the biggest problems here is that the players *don't*, or at least *didn't*, know what they're signing up for. Until the past several years there was virtually zero public knowledge about any relationship between football and CTE. As it turns out, the powers that be in the NFL had been actively fighting the release and dissemination of this information for quite some time. So not only did they not know what they signed up for, their employers were going out of their way to prevent them from knowing. See the problem here?

Simple form tackling.

Just like they used to.

This launch explosive style hitting proliferated with the ESPN type coverage.

Da-na-na. Na-na-na.

Simple form tackling.

Just like they used to.

This launch explosive style hitting proliferated with the ESPN type coverage.

Da-na-na. Na-na-na.

Get rid of all the pads and armor. Will force better form tackling and reduce the speed of collisions.

Get rid of all the pads and armor. Will force better form tackling and reduce the speed of collisions.

This. Shrink the pads and put them in leather helmets with no facemasks. Then we'll see just how tough these guys are.

If you watch early SB highlights they’re hitting and tackling in the manner I mention. They aren’t launching, going for the knockout.

They need to take a page out of college football - intentional helmet hit equals game ejection on the personal foul call. Set up a fine scale too. 1st offense. 2nd. 3rd. Escalating.

That would get it out of the game. If they were truly interested.

If you watch early SB highlights they’re hitting and tackling in the manner I mention. They aren’t launching, going for the knockout.

They need to take a page out of college football - intentional helmet hit equals game ejection on the personal foul call. Set up a fine scale too. 1st offense. 2nd. 3rd. Escalating.

This is being proposed for 2018 to the Competition Committee.

That would certainly help.

I watched the Mitchell clip and he explained a hit on Tyler Eifert that, he claims, was due to a bad Dalton pass and that caused an unintentional H2H hit by him.

There should be somebody up in the league office smart enough to look at a case like that and if legit say 'OK, we see what he means-- rescind the fine --
Eifert dove at the last second' but have enough judgement to fine the shit out of serial offenders like Brandon Meriweather when he was still playing or Ryan Clark or Burfict-- those sorts of aholes. Any idiot could plainly see what they do.

It's not that hard, really, to figure out who the worst people are and fine the shit out of them until they stop it or kick them out of the league, but you are never going to be able to completely avoid H2H hits. It's going to be there for as long as the game exists. You just have to minimize the intentional stuff as much as possible and it seems eminently doable.

That's what I get out of the NFL right now -- really poor judgement more often than not even when they have a chance to sit back and see what happened.

If JuJu doesn't stand over "the body", he doesn't get the suspension. That taunting made the hit look like a premeditated intent to injure. That's why the ijjits who are outraged that Gronk's suspension isn't longer than his are flawed (Cowherd, Wilbon, etc). Gronk lost his shit in the heat of the moment. Considering the history of Cincy/Pitt and with Burfict, I seriously doubt this was a last second decision by JuJu

Back