My GOODS and bads (just a few) from the Squished Fish Game

DarrylStingley

Boston Sports
Reaction score
Goods:

- Seeing Tom Brady so pumped coming off the field...I enjoyed that as much as anything last night

- Seeing BB so excited on the sidelines

- The continuing fine play of Danny Woodhead...seriously, the guy is giving them so much in so many phases of the game

- Obviously, the special teams

- Tate's rub back; Tate is a weapon back there...think back to the sluggish KRs they got all last season

- The 4th down stop they got late; great QB pressure, great open field tackle

- Seeing Tony Sparano so angry in that press conference; I just wet myself again even thinking about it

- Patrick Chung as All Around Beast

- Mayo looking like September-Mid November 2008 Mayo

- Aaron Hernandez making plays all over (including the one that was called back on a holding penalty that appeared to be BS)

- Fins missing a good challenge opportunity on the Woodhead TD

- Mesko's holds on the FGs

- Ninkovich's very compelling Mike Vrabel impersonation

- Seeing the Miami ball field so empty at the end; having been at two Patriots losses there, I am so jealous of the good Pats fans who had the privilege of being on hand last night; kudos to you!

- The fact that BJGE always seems to get an extra yard or two; to my good friend who continues to whine about the Maroney Trade: Suck it Hard

- Sammy Morris' killer block on the Tate TD

- The fact that Tommy is getting plenty of time in the pocket

- The fact that Tommy didn't force ANY passes and patiently took what was given to him

- The damn score; suck on that blow out, Miami players, fans and Bill Parcells, you twat

- Shut down of Brandon Marshall

- Marshall's bad route running was exposed

- no significant injuries (I think)

- FOUR picks

- Chung's awesome interview on ESPN; guy is a cool dude; Woos-ah!

- The chance it gives me to read the Miami Herald and just kvell

- The fact that it knocks the giddy Jets fans off their giddy asses for a day; hey Jets fans (and MFY fans, for that matter): go phuck yourselves

- That the players get off until Thursday....a great mental health break for them

Bads:

- Miami's third down conversion rate until the game got out of hand

- The coverage on the first Miami TD

- Moss not catching the TD pass at the end of the first half; tough catch but one he should make, I think

- Not pounding the ball in after the Page pick; that would have been the cherry, especially since the Pats only had one long TD drive

- Davonne Bess looking like a great receiver at times

- Vollmer having perhaps his worst game as a Patriot

- Steve Young's idiotic question to Chung

- This sounds weird and bear with me, but because of all the great ST plays -- which I know you can't ignore -- I've never seen a team dominate the scoreboard to that huge extent without really dominating either the offensive or defensive sides of the ball...at least, regarding the defense, on plays other than the four picks

- Tom's weird post-game attire...I'm not fashion plate but yowzer, I had to look away

To be clear, friends, the Goods FAR outweigh the Bads. To be clear, DS is on fire and ecstatic today. ECSTATIC.

That said, I don't think this game means they've turned the corner. It means that they got a feel good, team wide, road, division WIN. They can build on that but they have to know that there is still much work left to be done. And given that it's only week 4, that's a good thing, too.

Cheers!

Lol, assuming you are talking about me, I have not continued to whine. I let it go. Far be it for me to worry about warm bodies at the RB position.

Did the Pats win?

I played the John Gruden "this guy" drinking game, and passed out half way thru the first quarter:suicide:

The biggest bad I still see is coverage in the middle of the field, which would blame on the LBs. Two plays that they showed RZ angles illustrated things.

On the first, a long pass to the TE on Miami's first drive, the play was designed to get either a crossing route or for the TE to find a hole in the zone, which he did when both LBs in the middle zones (and I believe a 3rd defender as well) took the man crossing and left the other guy without a defender within 15 yards of him. Jaws complimented Henne's ability to read the defense, but that was a play even I could see.

Later, Miami ran the exact same play on 3rd and long and the Pats were a bit more prepared with the deep LB taking the TE. What happened this time was Guyton was left alone on Bess crossing and he started gesturing like mad as if he expected someone else to be there to get him. I don't know what he was expecting, but there wasn't another defender anywhere near the play. I also didn't see any other receivers who could have filled the gap Guyton would have left so I have to imagine he was supposed to have run with Bess.

This is the type of stuff that is killing the defense now. Hopefully they can get it worked out, because the will and the athleticism is there which is a big step up from last year.

Davone Bess is legit. His amount of 3rd down conversions in his years with the Fins was staggering.

Other than that I agree with everything. My wife and I were going nuts last night - especially when Tom got all fired up over the win. That was huge, but not as huge as giving all the young guys something to get really fired up over before our crucial game against Baltimore.

Some of the things I liked

* I like that they tried the TE screen. The timing was off so it was a flop, but at least they are thinking about it.

* I like that they finally utilized Moss as a "decoy" rather than force the ball to him. I've been saying for some time that the coverage he gets makes him more useful to other players. Show off some of the other toys until teams adjust and then start hitting them with Randy again.

* For all of Chung and Tate's prowess, Mesko was probably worth just as many ST points for his punting and terrific holding. He gets those high snaps down quick.

* BJGE is very good right now. He's always been a reliable guy, but he's running with more authority than I've seen in the past.

* I like seeing Meriweather make plays. Safety play is critical to this defense, anecdotally illustrated by the three years NE had top 5 safety play they held up the lombardi trophy at the end.

You really don't even need to go back that far. The two games NE's safeties have played well this year have been blowouts. The two games those guys struggled they allowed 29ppg.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

* On the downside, I was disappointed in Vollmer. Going into this season, I had him locked and loaded as the end of NE's right side issues, but he isn't playing as well as I expected.

This game reminded me of the old school patriots in so many ways. Doing it in all aspects of the game. It was great to see.

* On the downside, I was disappointed in Vollmer. Going into this season, I had him locked and loaded as the end of NE's right side issues, but he isn't playing as well I sa expected.
you know ir is two things, teams studied tape of him and learned how to beat him and I think he is banged up with some sort of leg injury. The solution is easy Scar and Seabass need to study the film and counter while he heals up during teh bye week

you know ir is two things, teams studied tape of him and learned how to beat him and I think he is banged up with some sort of leg injury. The solution is easy Scar and Seabass need to study the film and counter while he heals up during teh bye week

People are killing Vollmer, but I don't think it was nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. Two plays stand out against Wake

1) the showed a couple of times to illustrate how good Wake is, problem is that Seabass completely stoned him on this first, second, and third moves. It wasn't till Wake was pushed aside did he get to TB. Yes, it was good effort on Wake's part, but if your RT stones a guys first 3 moves, the ball should be gone long before he gets to the QB.

2) Wake's sack, this was obviously a blocking miscue, don't know who to blame this one, but Vollmer was the closest, so he gets it.

SSDD

SSDD

People are killing Vollmer, but I don't think it was nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. Two plays stand out against Wake

1) the showed a couple of times to illustrate how good Wake is, problem is that Seabass completely stoned him on this first, second, and third moves. It wasn't till Wake was pushed aside did he get to TB. Yes, it was good effort on Wake's part, but if your RT stones a guys first 3 moves, the ball should be gone long before he gets to the QB.

2) Wake's sack, this was obviously a blocking miscue, don't know who to blame this one, but Vollmer was the closest, so he gets it.

SSDD

SSDD

The first play wasn't as good as you make it. He did stone him the first time and then shoved him, but was unable to move as Wake blew past him to the inside. I'd call it 1.5 moves that he stopped.

My biggest issue with that play is that Vollmer usually kills a guy once the beginning starts as well as it does. I guess he is more hurt than I realized, so I'll have to expect some of that moving forward.

people are killing vollmer, but I don't think it was nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. Two plays stand out against wake

1) the showed a couple of times to illustrate how good wake is, problem is that seabass completely stoned him on this first, second, and third moves. It wasn't till wake was pushed aside did he get to tb. Yes, it was good effort on wake's part, but if your rt stones a guys first 3 moves, the ball should be gone long before he gets to the qb.

2) wake's sack, this was obviously a blocking miscue, don't know who to blame this one, but vollmer was the closest, so he gets it.

Ssdd

ssdd
not killing him but am interested in how he advances. I see him as the left tackle of this team, possibly next year, so I am not that down on him.

What I do see is a guy who got banged up a couple times this year and quite possibly in need of the bye week to recover. I see a lot of good things and Wake is a beast, a high motor guy similar to Freeney and truthfully I think Mankins didn't get the recognition he deserved by taking away Freeney''s inside move away and he and Neal and Scar will sit down and correct any issue.

Think about the right side of the O-Line, you have a german soccer player who is a converted TE and a College Wrestler who never played College Football - the fact they are as good as trhey are is simply amazing.

* For all of Chung and Tate's prowess, Mesko was probably worth just as many ST points for his punting and terrific holding. He gets those high snaps down quick.
Yup, Mesko was HUGE. That's a different game if he doesn't get those FG and to a lesser extent extra point holds down.

What's up with Ingram? He was money last year on snaps.

What's great about this team is everyone's stepping up (like the glory days a few years ago). Ninkovich, Chung, Tate, etc.

The Pats scored 41 points without Moss even catching a ball. Jeesh.

The bad, though, is the defense is still bad. Despite the picks, they are still allowing waaay too many 3rd down and long conversions. Also, Matt Light is garbage. He really is.

Overall, a fun night and nothing better than watching a half empty road stadium with ten mins left in the game.

Week off to get ready for a preview of this year's AFC Title Game with the winner hosting the other in January.

- Tate's rub back

:)

Freud-art.jpg

* I like that they tried the TE screen. The timing was off so it was a flop, but at least they are thinking about it.

* I like that they finally utilized Moss as a "decoy" rather than force the ball to him. I've been saying for some time that the coverage he gets makes him more useful to other players. Show off some of the other toys until teams adjust and then start hitting them with Randy again.

* BJGE is very good right now. He's always been a reliable guy, but he's running with more authority than I've seen in the past.

* I like seeing Meriweather make plays. Safety play is critical to this defense, anecdotally illustrated by the three years NE had top 5 safety play they held up the lombardi trophy at the end.

You really don't even need to go back that far. The two games NE's safeties have played well this year have been blowouts. The two games those guys struggled they allowed 29ppg.

* On the downside, I was disappointed in Vollmer. Going into this season, I had him locked and loaded as the end of NE's right side issues, but he isn't playing as well as I expected.

I like that they're winning with different personnel on offense. Last year it was all Moss and Welker. This year we've seen the TEs take over the defense. I think most people expected the TEs to be huge against the Dolphins, and they certainly contributed. But it was the quick, smaller guys (Welker, Woodhead and Tate) that turned the Fish into Dolphin Sushi.

I agree about Law Firm. I still think he's one dimensional (no blocking, no receiving), but he's doing that one dimension very, very well.

I'll give the OL a pass for this one. Not their greatest game, but not awful. But Cameron Wake looks to be a pretty good pass rusher (very weak against the run though, too much so probably for BB's taste), Vollmer doesn't seem 100%, and the "holding" call on Light was bogus. The OL was very good at run blocking in this game, and wore down the Miami front 7 by the 4th quarter. So I'll give them a pass overall.

Some positive signs from Meriweather. Hope his injury isn't serious - I'd like to see him build on this. Butler appears to be the forgotten man, but if either or both of those guys can get their mojo back it would be a huge plus.

The Patriots Chung one on the Dolphins last night and it was fun to watch, but it is time to take the rose colored glasses off and take a realistic look at this game.

We got killed in the first half. A better QB or Henne playing just a little better and we are down at least 14-6 if not 17 or 21-6 at the end of the half. The two INTs saved our bacon in that half. Miami was running and passing the ball with ease.

Special teams ignited us and gave us that little extra edge in energy. Even after that though, Miami moved the ball right down the field and pulled within 6.

We are not going to get two blocked punts every week or a kickoff return for 6.

I do think this is a game to use as a springboard and hopefully the young guys are learning and gaining confidence.

The pass rush in the second half was better and that helped with the turnovers. I think the big lead helped a lot as Miami became a little more one dimensional.

One game does not a trend make, but it does give us hope that this was a glimpse of things to come.

Couple things off what you said.

On the Moss being a decoy. I am worried on what he is going to think of this. He had 0 catches last night, is this going to sit well with him being in a contract year. Now for me Moss is as important in that role as making a one handed catch in traffic. Obvioulsy Miami's plan was to kill any deep stuff and take away big plays last night, but brady as well as anyone can pick you apart underneath all day. He showed patience big time last night, was good to see. I do wonder what Moss's take on it, because I hope he knows, his importance to what went down last night.

The Patriots Chung one on the Dolphins last night and it was fun to watch, but it is time to take the rose colored glasses off and take a realistic look at this game.

We got killed in the first half. A better QB or Henne playing just a little better and we are down at least 14-6 if not 17 or 21-6 at the end of the half. The two INTs saved our bacon in that half. Miami was running and passing the ball with ease.

Special teams ignited us and gave us that little extra edge in energy. Even after that though, Miami moved the ball right down the field and pulled within 6.

I do think this is a game to use as a springboard and hopefully the young guys are learning and gaining confidence.

The pass rush in the second half was better and that helped with the turnovers. I think the big lead helped a lot as Miami became a little more one dimensional.

One game does not a trend make, but it does give us hope that this was a glimpse of things to come.

I agree with everything you say. I'm sure BB will find plenty of negative to work on during the bye week.

This team clearly has a way to go to become elite. I'd rank us behind the Ravens, Jets and Steelers in the AFC right now, along with the Colts, Texans and Chargers in the second tier of AFC teams (I'm suspending judgment about the Chiefs). But this game was a good confidence builder, and something to build on going into a tough stretch after the bye week. I'm looking for some consistency and cotninued improvement before be willing to say more.

Well here is the thing...it was 7-6, the kickoff return by tate was not a fluke, he has shown the ability to do just that and that is a big part of any teams success. But also, when the phins came back and cut it to 20-14, the offense went on a 75 yard 12 play drive and scored a td, that was huge too, so I am not sure I go with the.....well if miami did this or we didnt do this, or we are not going to get this every game mantra.

Back