Official Game Thread - Divisional Playoffs - KC Chiefs at NE Patriots.

Personally, I think the refs got it wrong bc they had never seen it before and didn't appreciate the value that could have come from Amendola's block if his block allowed the ball to go into the endzone. DA's hit had a purpose that the refs couldn't see. Iow this wasn't a gratuitous hit by DA although the refs thought it was since they hadn't seen it before. DA put a great hit on the guy and it looked legal to me - rt shoulder to chest. Since when does the force of a block determine a penalty. Bad call imo.

Look at the average yards per play and you will not be troubled. Pats were taking chunk yards and scoring TDs while KC was inching along and kicking FGs. At one point there was a graphic where KC was averaging more yards per play on the ground than through the air. The main take away from me was that the Pats D needs to be a lot better on third down.

That's why I think ranking defenses by ypg is stupid and this game proves it. You can march up and down the field all day against a defense but if you're kicking fg's or punting then which is the better u it on the field, the offense or the defense?. That why defensive rankings are meaningless IMO.

That's why I think ranking defenses by ypg is stupid and this game proves it. You can march up and down the field all day against a defense but if you're kicking fg's or punting then which is the better u it on the field, the offense or the defense?. That why defensive rankings are meaningless IMO.

Except them marching up and down the field put them in position to win a game they had n business winning. When you run 30 more plays than the other team, you gain quite an advantage.

Gotta give BB and Patricia credit for taking Kelce away in this game.
6 rec for 23 yards for the game & vs Patrick Chung only 12 yards on 6 targets. Great defensive game plan.

Gotta give BB and Patricia credit for taking Kelce away in this game.
6 rec for 23 yards for the game & vs Patrick Chung only 12 yards on 6 targets. Great defensive game plan.

Chung was the best player on D yesterday to me. What a game he had.

I was shocked. After last week where it seemed like flags were being thrown every 2 plays, this one was surprisingly clean.

I'm almost shocked to say good job refs.

Anyway, AFC Championship!

giphy.gif

Also, the Bengals weren't playing in this round.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Personally, I think the refs got it wrong bc they had never seen it before and didn't appreciate the value that could have come from Amendola's block if his block allowed the ball to go into the endzone. DA's hit had a purpose that the refs couldn't see. Iow this wasn't a gratuitous hit by DA although the refs thought it was since they hadn't seen it before. DA put a great hit on the guy and it looked legal to me - rt shoulder to chest. Since when does the force of a block determine a penalty. Bad call imo.

On replay that's obvious, but maybe on the initial look the ref thought the hit was helmet to chin rather than helmet to chest.

I thought KC's clock management was horrific at the end of the game and they threw away the chance to get the ball back with more time. Those two early timeouts in the first half also (arguably) cost them four points.

I need to watch it again since I haven't seen the telecast, but my impression watching live was that KC simply can't throw it downfield. When Smith tried, he wasn't close on many. They are a team that maximizes what they can do pretty well, but are limited due to Smith and to a lesser extent skilled options on the outside. I think Conley will be a good player before long, but we had a blanket on those receivers all night long.

I don't know how much of that clock situation was on Andy, but I did think about that Super Bowl vs. the Eagles when his team showed a very casual approach to the hurry-up.

Excellent "Audibles at the Line" by FO on the game.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/audibles/2016/audibles-line-divisional-round

a tidbit

Aaron Schatz: "Kansas City picks tails. The result is tails. New England, what's your choice?"
How hard is it to run the freakin' coin toss correctly?
Patriots march down the field easily on their first drive for a touchdown catch by Rob Gronkowski. Gronk and Julian Edelman both look healthy so far. Interestingly, Chiefs coverage is shifting around a lot. On three straight catches, Gronk was covered by Ron Parker, Eric Berry, and Sean Smith in turn, all man coverage. What surprised me most about the drive was Justin Houston was not on the field for the Chiefs. They really need him out there to help bring the pressure on Brady. What surprised me least was that the Patriots didn't even attempt to run the ball once.

Cian Fahey: No running plays on the opening drive but a few third-and-long situations that needed to be converted. Silver lining for Chiefs defense.

Scott Kacsmar: I know the NFL rulebook is thick, but is it illegal to double-team Rob Gronkowski in the red zone on third down? Because that should be an automatic call for every defense, but we don't see it. Make the other guys beat you there.

Ben Muth: The catch where Berry was covering him was at least a short gain. I think he has the best chance at slowing Gronk down. I don't know how you leave him one-on-one with a corner (even a corner as big as Sean Smith) inside the red zone.

Aaron Schatz: Ironically, on the pregame show, if I'm not mistaken, they had Tony Gonzalez showing footage of how the Patriots put two and three guys on him in the red zone when he was with Atlanta.

Scott Kacsmar: Right, that was the 2013 game. You know if Belichick had to coach against Gronk he would probably have something like that for him. It's just common sense.

Vince Verhei: Announcers were falling all over themselves to give health updates on Gronkowski, Edelman, and Jeremy Maclin. No mention of Houston.

Aaron Schatz: The Chiefs just converted third-and-4 with an honest-to-goodness triple option. I feel like in the Andy Reid Drinking Game, that's "buy yourself an entire liquor store."

Scott Kacsmar: Two long drives, a bunch of short passes and third-down conversions, and a 7-3 New England lead. That is just how Super Bowl XLII started, but with New England getting the ball first today.

Vince Verhei: First quarter ends with New England up 7-3. Biggest storylines so far: Pats have 16 passes, one run; and the Chiefs burned two timeouts to avoid delay of game penalties on their first drive. They converted both third downs, so bully for them, but they're probably going to miss those timeouts later.

Scott Kacsmar: Are you at the game, Aaron? These CBS camera angles are not good today. Looks too zoomed in.

Aaron Schatz: I'm at the game. But yeah, I've seen many complaints on the Twitter about the camera angles.

================
Vince Verhei: I'm going back over this game and I keep finding amazing ways Kansas City screwed up. They burned 2:20 on a fourth-quarter three-and-out.

Scott Kacsmar: Andy Reid seriously dropped a "time was of the essence" line during his post-game presser when talking about that super long touchdown drive. There was zero confidence coming out of those words. It felt like a Saturday Night Live skit and I was waiting for audience laughter at his deadpan delivery.
Vince Verhei: I saw clips of that presser. Reid claimed they were in the hurry-up, but also didn't understand why reporters asked about them huddling with the clock running. It was like, even in hindsight, he didn't understand how badly he and his team have screwed themselves. Like he didn't even realize the game was over. I mean, I don't expect him to be fired tomorrow, but if it happens, I won't ask why.

Andrew Healy: I think the Patriots actually can and do feel pretty good coming out of this, as long as Jamie Collins, Chandler Jones, and Dont'a Hightower are OK (Collins being the biggest concern with the plays he missed). Brady looked great most of the day and Edelman looked unfettered (ten catches on 16 targets). Maybe the best sign of the day was the offensive line looked pretty good against the Justin-Houston-less-but-still-scary Chiefs pass rush. Zero sacks and just one hit. Maybe that overstates the line's play a little, but it mostly held together really well.
For the future, let's never have any announcer say again that the Pats need to establish the run. And one game against the Eagles does not mean the Patriots have terrible special teams. And if it's so important to have Kelce in the game on the first down (it is), just keep him on the field for the third down rather than wasting first down with a spike.
The Patriots took advantage of the secondary's aggressiveness with double-moves that got both Sean Smith and Berry on the touchdown to Gronk. They also adjusted to spy Alex Smith after he scrambled to convert a third-and-long on the first drive, which helped neutralize that threat.
Thought Amendola should have been tossed for the spearing on the punt. As Ben said, no place for this stuff.
For the record, the Donovan McNabb regurgitation drive took about four minutes. So this drive was even worse.

An Xs and Os post I saw on ChiefsPlanet.

* The Chiefs got absolutely ****-punted by "d-slant" (or dragon for you WC nazis) throughout this game, whether they were throwing it hot or as called. What's ****ing crazy is that the Chiefs didn't get raped on most of the other WCO concepts (again, this is from memory and before I've re-watched it).

* ****ing Edelman is a freak. Don't really have anything else to say. The Gaines matchup might have been interesting but you're needing a prime A. Winfield to lock that **** down (IMO).

*I won't know this until I re-watch but I didn't see much of the man/double concepts (slice/fist/thumbs) Ryan/Williams are known for. I did see 'thumbs" at one point with Branch (IIRC) walked out on an "X" (can't remember if it was Gronk/Edelman). I'll have to re-watch.

Like most have bitched about, this was a winnable game until Knile Davis showed up. The biggest kick in the nuts for that has to be Ware (if he was told he couldn't go and felt he could, he's going to feel responsible. If he felt he couldn't and didn't, he'll still feel responsible. That's just the way humans work).

Can't really blame Alex Smith before re-watching but the first half stats aren't hopeful. Disappointed the Chiefs didn't use more end-around/jet-sweep concepts coupled with inside zone like they did last year.

Sent from my Enigma Device

Back