Oh Gisele, she claims Tom has had concussions

31 owners were happy with the legal result. They were not happy with the horrible PR, which made all of them look petty, foolish and corrupt.

They're not launching Round 2.

You are sticking to your story, OJG, as hard as the inside reporters that said the Pats wouldn't trade Jimmy G. I hope you are as right as they were, but I have doubts. Just cuz Pats won latest SB doesn't give them immunity from Goodell and his disdain for the team in Foxborough.

I understand what you are saying. I just disagree with you based on what owners have said.

I base my opinion on the fact that owners have publicly praised the way Goodell handled deflategate, specifically Jones, McNair, Blank.

Owners will always publicly praise the Commissioner, no matter what their private feelings about his actual job performance. Public solidarity is a big thing for them. But if they had their way they'd go back to a competent Rozelle/Tagliabue figure who wasn't hated or laughed at constantly and commanded some respect. But they're stuck with Roger and it would be worse for them to publicly say so if any of them are dissatisfied.

It's conventional wisdom to say "the owners like him because he takes the abuse so they don't have to", but all Commishes in every sport do that in theory. Few are ridiculed like Roger is, and there's no law that says your Commissioner needs to be a cartoon figure who sounds like a moron. There are better people, and I suspect even Kraft knows it. But they're stuck with him because trying to replace him would show public weakness, and that's a big no-no.

What makes you say that owners didn't like deflategate? Other than that's how you would feel if you were an owner and assume these billionaires should feel the same way?

If you held a gun to their head and had made them choose between a legal or a PR victory, they'll choose the legal one because leverage over the players matters to them. They got that. That means money.

But the owners who pushed Goodell to sandbag the Patriots and take them down a notch (because as we've heard, some felt Spygate wasn't punished enough and the team kept winning) expected Brady to sit quiet and take his medicine. If he had done that, the owners would have been satisfied and it would have been over much quicker. But once Brady refused to play ball and go to court, the whole thing went far longer than anyone expected. The longer it went, the more the media got tired of it and the more likely they'd see it as a joke (which is bad for League PR), which is exactly what happened.

The Pats winning 51 was the ultimate public relations FU.

Owners and the League Office don't want another massive PR problem over a minor issue like the injury report, which is what would happen if they targeted the Patriots again. They won't.

The Pats winning 51 was the ultimate public relations FU.

THIS.

That is the reason it won't happen again. Blank looking Blank on the field in Houston and Goodell handing over that trophy tore DG to shreds and made the whole saga worth zilch for the owners who wanted the Pats to "just stop winning." No way they fan those flames again especially with Bill having re-loaded this team to win SB 52. I mean how many times can you dance with the devil before your burned to a crisp? lol.

I understand your reasoning OJ and you are logical for sure. However, I believe that any cadre of owners who feel it is just to punish people simply for achieving what their teams cannot aren't rational to begin with. Plus, today with social media etc. they may feel that any publicity is good publicity. Being talked about, keeping them in the news... is a big deal to them IMO. Were it another franchise instead of the "villain" of the NFL, I might agree with you it would be ignored (much like it has been veeeerrrryyyy quiet with Cincy drafting that woman beater), but I can't bet on that. Plus, with the rare outward disgust BB showed when that dumb article about the Pats giving visiting teams warm gatorade and riffling through their trash cans came out, I can't help but think that it is possible some owners think if they push BB to the brink, he may retire .

Plus, today with social media etc. they may feel that any publicity is good publicity.

That's another common saying, but I don't believe it.

If you're one of the owners of a company, and you have a choice between having your CEO publicly respected or publicly laughed at and constantly asked to be fired by journalists and consumers, you always choose the former.

There's no way, say, the Ray Rice thing would make an owner say "well, it's a black eye, but at least they're talking about us."

If you can have money and respect or money and ridicule, money and respect is always better. Being ridiculed is bad for the long-term image of your product and the people who run it.

I think the Pats should spin this the other way. The league has protocols in place to identify and manage potential concussions. If Brady, in fact, did suffer from multiple concussions, why didn't the league step in and utilize these protocols? Do they really want to see the Pats fail so badly that they would jeopardize one of its best players' health?

I want an inquisition. I want heads to roll. I want justice!!!!!

I think the Pats should spin this the other way. The league has protocols in place to identify and manage potential concussions. If Brady, in fact, did suffer from multiple concussions, why didn't the league step in and utilize these protocols? Do they really want to see the Pats fail so badly that they would jeopardize one of its best players' health?

LOL

As you know pf64, player safety is our highest priority

Goodell

Who cares.

If he was never limited in practice, it's not an issue. She's not a doctor.

The rule doesn't require to report an injury simply based on practice participation.

From here.

The Practice Report provides clubs and fans with an accurate description of a player’s injury status and how much he participated in practice during the week. If any player has a significant or noteworthy injury, it must be listed on the practice report, even if he fully participates in practice and the team expects that he will play in the team’s next game. This is especially important for key players whose injuries may be covered extensively by the media.

The page finishes up with this.

The policy requires that teams provide credible, accurate and specific information about injured players to the league office, their opponents, local and national media, and the league’s broadcast partners each week during the regular season and postseason.

The reporting process is of paramount importance in maintaining the integrity of the game.

There's that "I" word.

It was this rule that made Carroll's comments about Sherman's injury and Le’Veon Bell’s injury noteworthy.

Florio ends the latter link with the following statement.

Some league insiders believe that the NFL looked the other way as to the Seahawks as a precursor for looking the other way as to the Steelers. If that happens, the stage will be set for all sorts of potential shenanigans in the future by other teams who break the rules in a similar way.

Unless and until, of course, a franchise that key members of the league office doesn’t “like” commits the same violation and promptly loses draft picks, money, and any and all players who were “generally aware” of the situation, more probable than not.

Do I expect the league office to be so blatantly hypocritical?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were.

GWiz is even more annoying than Patsfan09...can you imagine that? Is this even possible?

She sounds like she got her bell rung.

The Pats are clearly cheaters...they keep their injured players in the game and leave their healthy players on the bench. Obviously this is an advantage... :coffee:

You are just inviting a whole lot of pain in terms of concussion protocol next year

Speaking of which, is it the teams or the league who are responsible for enforcing the concussion protocols?

After reading the transcript I have to believe that Giselle purposely discussed the "concussions" because Tom won't consider retirement and it is apparently a bone of contention at Casa Brady.

She is either willfully stupid or callously decided to stir the pot to get her way in this matter. I'm going with the latter since I don't think she is dumb and her english is pretty good.

I doubt that Roger can do a damn thing about it, because Giselle isn't a Doctor and its water under the bridge, not to mention that he doesn't want any part of the Patriots unless they rub his face in an obvious, extreme violation and he is left with no choice.

I wonder if the team will make some sort of public statement on these comments. It puts them in an awful fix no matter what is said. Either it happened or Giselle doesn't know what she's talking about.

I've never liked her much and like her less now. She is a pampered douchebag.

After reading the transcript I have to believe that Giselle purposely discussed the "concussions" because Tom won't consider retirement and it is apparently a bone of contention at Casa Brady.

She is either willfully stupid or callously decided to stir the pot to get her way in this matter. I'm going with the latter since I don't think she is dumb and her english is pretty good.

Never disregard the most obvious answer.

Richard Sherman's knee wasn't reported...nada from the League
LeVeon Bell in the AFCCG...nada as well

NO WORRIES.

Except TFB and GFB will have a brief talk tonight. popcorn

I doubt that Roger can do a damn thing about it, because Giselle isn't a Doctor and its water under the bridge, not to mention that he doesn't want any part of the Patriots unless they rub his face in an obvious, extreme violation and he is left with no choice.

I wonder if the team will make some sort of public statement on these comments. It puts them in an awful fix no matter what is said. Either it happened or Giselle doesn't know what she's talking about.

I've never liked her much and like her less now. She is a pampered douchebag.

I tend to reserve judgement on spouses.

But when they just can't shut the front door I'll opine.

I think there is definite debate in the Brady fam. I think he wins this year in the household. And if he grabs another Lombardi she relents for the chase of a 3 peat. After that? Anyone's guess. But at some point I think her ego kicks in and the old "if you don't want to spend time with me someone else will" act will kick in.

On a side: I can not stand when these gliterraazzi types preach about global warming. Oh really? From your eleventeen hundred thousand sq ft manse? In your maxed out Escalade and 2-3 others for handlers and security? Your carbon footprint is the size of Rhode Island.

Just wish ANYONE in the media had the slightest hint of a ballbag to point it out.

Nope. Eat up her theory on cow farts.

Back