OT: Brag about your Kids thread

Not much to brag about really. Except he didn't cry I guess. LOL My 13 year old snapped his clavicle today snowboarding. Thing broke in half Looks like the bones are overlapping a good inch or more. My real reason to post is to hear thoughts. I've never heard of surgery on a collar bone, but can these two ends reattach naturally? With out surgery, will his shoulder be off? Below is a pic. The 2 pink spots are the 2 ends that should be together.

You have more hair than I thought...

LOL. 👊🏻

I'm the real little guy in the pic. The big guy, my son obviously got his hair from his mom (and his patience, calm demeanor).

Although, he will separate you from the puck in a violent way which he got from me. 😜

Mind if I go OT for a moment. I'm trying to disorient the moose. I always thought the first foreign country due south of Detroit was Cuba. But if you look closly at the trophy it's clear to me that the first foreign country due south of Detroit is actually Canada. :huh:
So stop bitching about the climate down there Moose.

Back on topic. Nice work, Mr. and Mrs. Aloyouis.

Cheers

Not much to brag about really. Except he didn't cry I guess. LOL My 13 year old snapped his clavicle today snowboarding. Thing broke in half Looks like the bones are overlapping a good inch or more. My real reason to post is to hear thoughts. I've never heard of surgery on a collar bone, but can these two ends reattach naturally? With out surgery, will his shoulder be off? Below is a pic. The 2 pink spots are the 2 ends that should be together.
Don't have experience with this, but I am pretty sure I have heard of a plate being screwed in on the clavicle to position it correctly for healing properly. What did the doc say?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Don't have experience with this, but I am pretty sure I have heard of a plate being screwed in on the clavicle to position it correctly for healing properly. What did the doc say?

We have had several broken clavicles on teams I have coached over the years. Some have been similar looking to your son's. None required surgery as they seem to go back in place easily. That said, they are at high risk to break again so the risk for me was to keep the player (and parent) from rushing back.

Mind if I go OT for a moment. I'm trying to disorient the moose. I always thought the first foreign country due south of Detroit was Cuba. But if you look closly at the trophy it's clear to me that the first foreign country due south of Detroit is actually Canada. :huh:
So stop bitching about the climate down there Moose.

Back on topic. Nice work, Mr. and Mrs. Aloyouis.

Cheers

You are correct! Due south from the city of Detroit crosses the Detroit River into Windsor Ontario.

Also, that puts to rest that silly line from Journey about being from "South Detroit" unless that chick was a Canuck.

Going tomorrow to see what the ortho Dr. says. This just happened yesterday. Weirds me out to think that the bone would move and reconnect end to end. That's a lot of movement. But this is a first for me, so I don't know.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

We have had several broken clavicles on teams I have coached over the years. Some have been similar looking to your son's. None required surgery as they seem to go back in place easily. That said, they are at high risk to break again so the risk for me was to keep the player (and parent) from rushing back.

Agreed. No track and no baseball this year. Not sure football will be in play either. He's bummed. But I don't want to risk any more injury.

Sorry to hear of your son's situation! I wish you all the best!
One suggestion is to post this in the "Real Life Support" thread, which is currently down on page 2. Seems more folks open that thread than this one and you might get more answers to your question there.

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=36353&page=197

So the 8th grade Boy tried out for jazz band, a new honors class being offered in my town and 10 months after picking up the guitar he made guitarist no.1. Currently he plays with the middle school band and switches to bass for some songs but will be solely a guitarist in HS. Also tested into a second math class next year too, will have honors math plus an accelerated class in that too.

My freshman girl just finished up doing wardrobe for HS production of Hairspray and she too will have two math classes next year plus all honors across the board.

So the 8th grade Boy tried out for jazz band, a new honors class being offered in my town and 10 months after picking up the guitar he made guitarist no.1. Currently he plays with the middle school band and switches to bass for some songs but will be solely a guitarist in HS. Also tested into a second math class next year too, will have honors math plus an accelerated class in that too.

My freshman girl just finished up doing wardrobe for HS production of Hairspray and she two will have two math classes next year plus all honors across the board.

Don''t ever want to disappoint you Mikie. All I can figure is they must have one damn smart and amazing Mom. :shrug:

:wink:

Cheers, :toast:

I'd like to add my own story. My son, 33, has been involved with the NY theater scene for some time. He just received his Masters in playwrighting (to go with a bachelors in acting from Syracuse). Yeah, I know some here would consider that a waste, but in today's theater scene, a playwright will have a difficult time getting his/her play looked at without a Masters on the resume, as odd as that may seem. He's been an office manager by day (to pay the bills) and a playwright in his spare time, evenings and weekends.

Today, he may have gotten his first big break. He wrote an unusual play for his thesis that was performed earlier this year. His advisor liked it enough to submit it to a playhouse called the Flea Theater. In NYC, this is a well known and influential theater, that is used as a test ground by well established playwrights and has hatched careers of others. The Creative Director called him and asked him to go in for a discussion. She told him that they'd like to work with him to produce his play complete with a professional acting troupe, directing, technical folks and most importantly, royalties. She told him that Sigourney Weaver, who is on their Board, is interested in one of the parts.

They're targeting a table reading in October and a possible debut sometime next year. He's over the moon excited. We're thrilled for him because we know his talent and how hard he's worked to get the degree and never give up on his dreams. Oh, and they want to see 2 more of his works. There are more twists and turns to come, but he's thrilled to be seeing his work get noticed and perhaps he'll be on his way to realizing his dream.

Thanks for letting me gush. We're all proud parents here and it's great to shout from the rooftops on occassion.

It's been a while since I posted this, over a year in fact, but much has happened since.

After a few delays due to construction of the Flea's new building, the play, "Inanimate", opened on August 30th as the 1st production in their brand new space (Weaver did not participate). The play was immediately marked as a "Critic's Pick" by Ben Brantley of the NY Times. For those who likely don't know, Brantley is considered the most influential theater critic in the US and among the tops in the world.

The NY Times just designated the play as one of the top 10 things to do in NYC.

Since that review (and many other positive reviews), all hell has broken loose for him. The show was first slated for a 4 week run, but it sold out, so they've added 3 more weeks to the run. He's been contacted by theaters from Michigan, Boston, London and a larger theater in NYC who are interested in seeing the script. He's been contacted by a movie scout who wants to talk about movie rights. Through all of this, he doesn't have an agent yet, but 2 are talking to him. He's a bit in over his head at the moment and needs someone working on his behalf.

The play is centered around a young woman who falls in love with a Dairy Queen sign and has feelings for other inanimate objects. It's a real condition known as "Objectum Sexuality". But it's really about her struggle to get people to accept her as she is. It's certainly not a topic for everyone and the few negative reviews could not get past the topic. But the positives are running far ahead of the negatives. Such is the life of a playwright. But the success of the play speaks for itself.

Long term, this is huge. He's not making much money from this. The Flea's main mission is to present young playwrights, actors, crew and they offer the exposure in return for low pay. A playwright's biggest obstacle is getting theaters to read the scripts. They literally get hundreds each year and read far fewer than that. He will now no longer have a problem getting his scripts read and considered. The lead actors have been universally praised which is also huge for them as they are also trying to get noticed. Even the technical crew (costumes, stage, lighting, sound) have been getting noticed in the reviews. To say they're all thrilled would be an understatement.

Thanks for letting me gush. Here's atrailer that was just released yesterday announing the extension:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R8j0F27lkV8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's been a while since I posted this, over a year in fact, but much has happened since.

After a few delays due to construction of the Flea's new building, the play, "Inanimate", opened on August 30th as the 1st production in their brand new space (Weaver did not participate). The play was immediately marked as a "Critic's Pick" by Ben Brantley of the NY Times. For those who likely don't know, Brantley is considered the most influential theater critic in the US and among the tops in the world.

Since that review (and many other positive reviews), all hell has broken loose for him. The show was first slated for a 4 week run, but it sold out, so they've added 3 more weeks to the run. He's been contacted by theaters from Michigan, Boston, London and a larger theater in NYC who are interested in seeing the script. He's been contacted by a movie scout who wants to talk about movie rights. Through all of this, he doesn't have an agent yet, but 2 are talking to him. He's a bit in over his head at the moment and needs someone working on his behalf.

The play is centered around a young woman who falls in love with a Dairy Queen sign and has feelings for other inanimate objects. It's a real condition known as "Objectum Sexuality". But it's really about her struggle to get people to accept her as she is. It's certainly not a topic for everyone and the few negative reviews could not get past the topic. But the positives are running far ahead of the negatives. Such is the life of a playwright. But the success of the play speaks for itself.

Long term, this is huge. He's not making much money from this. The Flea's main mission is to present young playwrights, actors, crew and they offer the exposure in return for low pay. A playwright's biggest obstacle is getting theaters to read the scripts. They literally get hundreds each year and read far fewer than that. He will now no longer have a problem getting his scripts read and considered. The lead actors have been universally praised which is also huge for them as they are also trying to get noticed. Even the technical crew (costumes, stage, lighting, sound) have been getting noticed in the reviews. To say they're all thrilled would be an understatement.

Thanks for letting me gush. Here's atrailer that was just released yesterday announing the extension:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R8j0F27lkV8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
:celebrate::celebrate::celebrate:

congrats!!! this is amazing!! all my best to your son! I can't wait to say I knew of him back when....

Superb news! Good for you (take your share of credit for it)

I wish I could also say I knew him when. Maybe "I knew him thru mikiemo."

Any one Remember the 2 (i think) episode "objectophelia" segment on Boston Legal?

Cheers, Congrats, :toast:

Superb news! Good for you (take your share of credit for it)

I wish I could also say I knew him when. Maybe "I knew him thru mikiemo."

Any one Remember the 2 (i think) episode "objectophelia" segment on Boston Legal?

Cheers, Congrats, :toast:

I KNEW OF HIM.... but if I say it quickly I can lose the OF.

to me this is huge, my daughter has taken to plays and stuff and Mikie is now going to more of these events, I hope it comes to Boston so I can go.

Congrats to you and your son Bid, and please gush away! Hoping for much success.

~Dee~

Back