Patriots fans are...?

yackittysacks

Reaction score
What kind of fans make up Pats Nation? This is a general question I know, but I'm curious what makes up the general population? Denver once was a blue collar franchise, people from the middle class representing the team. Today, and since the new stadium really, the fans are much more white collar. I would guess this is partly due to the cost of tickets. Maybe also because of the huge population of people moving to the Mile High City. Anyway, is Patriot fan by in large a white collar base? A blue collar base? Lots of bandwagon fans because of their recent success? Just curios what the fan base is like there?

Lots of bandwagon fans because of their recent success? Just curios what the fan base is like there?
How do you define recent? Because they've been successful since Kraft bought the team, hired Parcells, and drafted players like Drew Bledsoe, Curtis Martin, Ty Law, etc.

They were 10-6 in 1994 (Bledsoe's second year). So that's 23 seasons between then and now. For some lifelong fans, the Bledsoe/Brady era is all they have ever known. Those fans are not bandwagon fans, even though they didn't suffer through the Rod Rust or Dick MacPherson years.

How do you define recent? Because they've been successful since Kraft bought the team, hired Parcells, and drafted players like Drew Bledsoe, Curtis Martin, Ty Law, etc.

They were 10-6 in 1994 (Bledsoe's second year). So that's 23 seasons between then and now. For some lifelong fans, the Bledsoe/Brady era is all they have ever known. Those fans are not bandwagon fans, even though they didn't suffer through the Rod Rust or Dick MacPherson years.

In fact, in that time, the Pats have had just 2 losing seasons ('95, '00) and 1 .500 season ('99). They've been to the playoffs 18 times and been to 7 Super Bowls. The success has been sustained for quite some time.

AS for the fan base, just like any other fan base, it will be representative of the area which is a mix of blue collar, white collar, pink hats, bandwagoners, etc. In general, Boston sports fans are hard core and expect maximum effort even in defeat. We have no tolerance for athletes that go through the motions.

Parcells and Bledsoe preceded Kraft, but the gist is correct its been a very very long time since us pats fans have tasted extended failure.

to answer the OP - spoiled and loving it!

In fact, in that time, the Pats have had just 2 losing seasons ('95, '00) and 1 .500 season ('99). They've been to the playoffs 18 times and been to 7 Super Bowls. The success has been sustained for quite some time.

11 AFC Championship games, I think? (That's a lot of AFC Finalist Banners)

11 out of 23 years in the final 4, and chances are pretty good that this year will make 12.

And somehow, people still complain. :coffee:

Since the BB era, 2000 the Pats have been unstoppable. Before that they were an average team with a few winning seasons here and there. Recent might be the wrong word. In what, nearly 60 years, the Pats last 16 are the "recent" run I speak of . So something like 25%

AS for the fan base, just like any other fan base, it will be representative of the area which is a mix of blue collar, white collar, pink hats, bandwagoners, etc. In general, Boston sports fans are hard core and expect maximum effort even in defeat. We have no tolerance for athletes that go through the motions.

I guess that's what I was looking for. General info about the fans. When you see a Pats home game on TV, the crowd seems quiet, mellow, just hanging out watching a game. There seems to be no color scheme for clothes. People wear what ever. In comparison, Chefs fans are all in red. Just an observation.

I guess that's what I was looking for. General info about the fans. When you see a Pats home game on TV, the crowd seems quiet, mellow, just hanging out watching a game. There seems to be no color scheme for clothes. People wear what ever. In comparison, Chefs fans are all in red. Just an observation.

Yes, because it's not ****ing High School, and the fans aren't a bunch of backwater yahoos. :coffee:

Parcells and Bledsoe preceded Kraft, but the gist is correct its been a very very long time since us pats fans have tasted extended failure.

to answer the OP - spoiled and loving it!

Thanks - I forgot that it was Orthwein that hired Parcells. :toast:

Yes, because it's not ****ing High School, and the fans aren't a bunch of backwater yahoos. :coffee:

^^
This...

New Englanders have never been into the color scheme crap or any other rah-rah BS, perhaps with the exception of Red Sox pink hats.

Yes, Gillette has certainly become the place to be seen by those who don't care much about the game but want to be able to post a pic on FB from the stands, but we're now at the time of year when those fans stay away and the hardcore people show up. The o9ld stadium was louder, but mostly because the corporate suits didn't want to sit on the aluminum bleachers. The rest of us were just uncomfortable enough to be irritated and took it out by being loud and crazy.

As far as the noise goes, a big part of that is that the stadium has a lot of open space and doesn't hold sound like Arrowhead or Seattle does and all I know is that I go to every game and usually can't talk for two days afterwards. Still, the noise could be better, so I'll concede that point. Everybody talks about it around here and it's better than it used to be, but not ideal.

As far as color goes, navy blue doesn't exactly scream on camera, but I'd say 90 per cent of the fans are wearing Pats gear. Plus, for the last few months of the season it's cold and not everyone has endless layers of team gear.

Boston people don't generally get worked up over stuff like coordinating our outfits so that the folks in TV land are impressed with how we look. We're more into celebrating wins and championships.

One thing you might be interested in is that we know everybody hates us and we don't care. Bitches be jealous.

Originally Posted by yackittysacks View Post
"Lots of bandwagon fans because of their recent success? Just curios what the fan base is like there?"

What does "curios" mean. Is that another word for penis envy?

Originally Posted by yackittysacks View Post
"Lots of bandwagon fans because of their recent success? Just curios what the fan base is like there?"

What does "curios" mean. Is that another word for penis envy?

Curious. A typo I guess. Penis envy? No. Broncos are one of the best teams in the NFL. Not this season of course, but of all time.

Pats fans are....

....Spoiled, hard headed, and expecting the most out of the team while we accept nothing but winning and live and die with the results. We Had to endure a long history of suck only to be gifted the best franchise in the NFL since a Local businessman bought it after some douche waffle accidentally hired Parcels and drafted Bledsoe. We have been invaded by Pinkhats and "the place to be" crowd. I have relatives who know nothing of the sport but sit in the heated areas in their suits and dresses never making it to their corporate red seats.

Having said that We Pats fans acknowledge the blessing bestowed upon us with Brady and Bill, we are true fans, loyal to a fault. A different breed of fans from the one trick pony towns in that we have 4 major sports teams, all contending for the playoffs every year. You will see Sox shirts at Pats games, Pats shirts and Celtics games Celtics jerseys and Bruins games and Bruins jerseys at Sox games - or any jersey at any other teams sports.

We do not go for the All Wear White - White-out -BS type of actions but come December the pink hats are fewer, the real fans in the seats and the place gets loud, is full when it is 4 degrees out or raining at 34degrees.

Since the BB era, 2000 the Pats have been unstoppable. Before that they were an average team with a few winning seasons here and there. Recent might be the wrong word. In what, nearly 60 years, the Pats last 16 are the "recent" run I speak of . So something like 25%

KC probably has the loudest stadium in the league. Everyone else pales in comparison.

But yeah Gilette is not always as loud as it could be. Part of that is the stadium design, part is the wine and cheese crowd in the red club seats, and part is spoiled fans.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Good stuff. There are 2 types of Broncos fans out there. Fans that have been behind the team since the beginning, and those that show up with a new stadium or when they win it all. A lot can be learned of a fan base during a bout of losing, Broncos have had their rough times, and the true fan base rides it out. It seems the 2 teams are closer than just wins.

Good stuff. There are 2 types of Broncos fans out there. Fans that have been behind the team since the beginning, and those that show up with a new stadium or when they win it all. A lot can be learned of a fan base during a bout of losing, Broncos have had their rough times, and the true fan base rides it out. It seems the 2 teams are closer than just wins.

What a bizarre thread. And this post is indicative of any franchise in any sport. There will be fans, and there will be people who hop on board for the ride when they are successful. Not exactly a deep diagnosis of the DNA of a fan base.

Gillette can be quite loud (see: v. Baltimore 1/10/2015) and can also be very docile (see: "are you sure this ticket is correct? I don't think Jacksonville has a pro football team.")

Back