Patriots fans are...?

Curious. A typo I guess. Penis envy? No. Broncos are one of the best teams in the NFL. Not this season of course, but of all time.

Well, the Broncos are in the top 10 by regular season winning percentage, but they're 10th (Pats are 5th).

In the post-season, Broncos are tied for 9th in winning percentage (Pats are 2nd).

I think to be one of the best, a team needs to be top-three or top-five. 10% of 32 is 3.2, so being in the top-3 means you're better than 90% of the league.

If you're at the bottom of the top third, you're respectable, but you're certainly not one of the best.

What a bizarre thread. And this post is indicative of any franchise in any sport. There will be fans, and there will be people who hop on board for the ride when they are successful. Not exactly a deep diagnosis of the DNA of a fan base.

Gillette can be quite loud (see: v. Baltimore 1/10/2015) and can also be very docile (see: "are you sure this ticket is correct? I don't think Jacksonville has a pro football team.")

I don't agree. Some fan bases are diehard, will support their team even during a miserable run. Some fan bases are simply because the team is winning. Of course there will always be both groups in every fan base. Look at Detroit. The Lions have sucked for how long, yet their fan base is always strong. Look at the Lakers. It seems the LA Market has jumped to the Clippers the last handful of years. Just my opinion though.

I don't agree. Some fan bases are diehard, will support their team even during a miserable run. Some fan bases are simply because the team is winning. Of course there will always be both groups in every fan base. Look at Detroit. The Lions have sucked for how long, yet their fan base is always strong. Look at the Lakers. It seems the LA Market has jumped to the Clippers the last handful of years. Just my opinion though.

The Lions fan base is trash.

I started following the Pats right before their SB run in 1984 only because I was never much of a football guy in those days. My thing was hockey and baseball but being in the military at the time I was influenced by my friends to watch games with them.

I lost touch with the NE football team and got caught up in the Cowboys frenzy in the 90's but always kept an eye on the Pats because they were my home team. When they signed Parcells then Bledsoe I started following them again and the rest, as they say is history.

I live in Seahawk country and their fans are insufferable and annoying so anytime they lose it brings a smile to my face. I am slowly converting my friends over to becoming NE fans but there were always be haters.

Curious. A typo I guess. Penis envy? No. Broncos are one of the best teams in the NFL. Not this season of course, but of all time.

Denver all time winning percentage in the regular season is .542 (456-386-10). All time winning percentage in the post season is .548 (23 - 19) for a total winning percentage of .542 (479-405-10)

Patriots all time winning percentage in the regular season is .548 (462 - 381 - 9). All time winning percentage in the post season is .604 (29 - 19) for a total of .551 (491 - 400 - 9)

A quick check of Wikipedia has the Broncos as the 10th best in winning percentage (behind Chicago, Dallas, Green Bay, Miami, New England, San Francisco, Baltimore. Minnesota and the New York Giants.)

What kind of fans make up Pats Nation? This is a general question I know, but I'm curious what makes up the general population? Denver once was a blue collar franchise, people from the middle class representing the team. Today, and since the new stadium really, the fans are much more white collar. I would guess this is partly due to the cost of tickets. Maybe also because of the huge population of people moving to the Mile High City. Anyway, is Patriot fan by in large a white collar base? A blue collar base? Lots of bandwagon fans because of their recent success? Just curios what the fan base is like there?

IMO, it's a mix of them all.

:shrug_n:

The newbies are spoiled though. They don't know what it was like years ago, like when we were hoping to hold OJ Simpson to only 200 yards rushing, or when the only thing the Pats and Colts were competing for was the #1 pick in the draft.

I like this period much better.

:)

What kind of fans make up Pats Nation? This is a general question I know, but I'm curious what makes up the general population? Denver once was a blue collar franchise, people from the middle class representing the team. Today, and since the new stadium really, the fans are much more white collar. I would guess this is partly due to the cost of tickets. Maybe also because of the huge population of people moving to the Mile High City. Anyway, is Patriot fan by in large a white collar base? A blue collar base? Lots of bandwagon fans because of their recent success? Just curios what the fan base is like there?

Which recent success do you speak of? Do you mean the last 15 years?

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

LMFAO!!!!! Now you're just f'ing with us

Which recent success do you speak of? Do you mean the last 15 years?

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

LMFAO!!!!! Now you're just f'ing with us

Recent meaning the last 15 years of a nearly 60 history. That's all that was meant.

You don't agree that the Broncos are one of the top franchises of all time? I think they deserve top 5 consideration. Don't you?

I can get with Steelers, Cowboys. They have to be the undisputed top 2. The next group gets a bit tricky. The Pats have had maybe one of the best runs of all time. But prior to the TB and BB era there wasn't much. One SB appearance. But they are certainly have to be considered in the top 5. The 49ers were magical in the 80's and most of the 90's but mediocre the rest of their history. Broncos have had Super bowl runs in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's. Something like 8 appearances. That's tied with the Cowboys and the Steelers. So they should be in the conversation. Packers and Giants both with 5 appearances and 4 wins. They both can be in the conversation.

That's 5 teams fighting for the remaining top 3 spots. Again, an argument can be made for all 5.

Again just my opinion.

How do you define recent? Because they've been successful since Kraft bought the team, hired Parcells, and drafted players like Drew Bledsoe, Curtis Martin, Ty Law, etc.

They were 10-6 in 1994 (Bledsoe's second year). So that's 23 seasons between then and now. For some lifelong fans, the Bledsoe/Brady era is all they have ever known. Those fans are not bandwagon fans, even though they didn't suffer through the Rod Rust or Dick MacPherson years.

Well age comes into factor, my son is 27 and bledsoe is his farthest back memory. I did show him a nice little video of GB and NE from 1979 that he thought was interesting.

I can get with Steelers, Cowboys. They have to be the undisputed top 2. The next group gets a bit tricky. The Pats have had maybe one of the best runs of all time. But prior to the TB and BB era there wasn't much. One SB appearance. But they are certainly have to be considered in the top 5. The 49ers were magical in the 80's and most of the 90's but mediocre the rest of their history. Broncos have had Super bowl runs in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's. Something like 8 appearances. That's tied with the Cowboys and the Steelers. So they should be in the conversation. Packers and Giants both with 5 appearances and 4 wins. They both can be in the conversation.

That's 5 teams fighting for the remaining top 3 spots. Again, an argument can be made for all 5.

Again just my opinion.

The Pats had 2 AFC Championships prior to the BB/TB era ('85, '96).
They've had 8 overall, also tied with Denver, Dallas and Pittsburgh.
They've had appearances in 4 different decades, just like Denver.

Dallas hasn't done crap in the past 20 years and they didn't get to a Super Bowl between '81 and '92, but they get credit for the 5 rings and their run in the 70's and 90's.

Pittsburgh was non-relevant for 24 years, with the exception of one SB appearance in '95. Their dominance really came in a 6 year span, winning 4 of 6. Prior to the arrival of Noll, they were a joke for most of their history. They've been wildly inconsistent in the past 20 years.

There's lots of criteria that can be used such as the era (pre-FA, pre-cap, etc). It will always be somewhat subjective. The reality right now is that the Patriot run is still not over. Until it does end, I'll reserve judgement.

Recent meaning the last 15 years of a nearly 60 history. That's all that was meant.

You don't agree that the Broncos are one of the top franchises of all time? I think they deserve top 5 consideration. Don't you?

two things-

15 years out of 60 represents 25% of the team's history. First of all, that's a fairly significant chunk of time. Second, when you match it up with the merger (the real beginning of the modern era), it becomes 1/3 of the modern era. Pretty damn impressive.

If we're going top 5 franchises and basing it on success (in no particular order)

Pats
Steelers
Cowturds
49ers
Packers
Ratbirds (20 year history for them is impressive)
Giants

so...top 5...no. Top 10? Yeah, I'd put them in the lower 3rd of the top 10 with the Raiders and the Redskins. And, each of those teams have a better winning % in Super Bowls than Denver does, so I'd probably lock them in at the 10 spot.

Again just my opinion.

The Patriots went to the SB in '85 and '96, so going to 8 SBs out of 50 is pretty damn impressive.

The Broncos have also been to 8. Of course, two of them were during a time when they cheated the cap, but hey.

The Patriots have the 5th best winning percentage in NFL history, the Broncos are at 10th, so sorry, the Patriots have been better historically.

The Pats had 2 AFC Championships prior to the BB/TB era ('85, '96).
They've had 8 overall, also tied with Denver, Dallas and Pittsburgh.
They've had appearances in 4 different decades, just like Denver.

Dallas hasn't done crap in the past 20 years and they didn't get to a Super Bowl between '81 and '92, but they get credit for the 5 rings and their run in the 70's and 90's.

Pittsburgh was non-relevant for 24 years, with the exception of one SB appearance in '95. Their dominance really came in a 6 year span, winning 4 of 6. Prior to the arrival of Noll, they were a joke for most of their history. They've been wildly inconsistent in the past 20 years.

There's lots of criteria that can be used such as the era (pre-FA, pre-cap, etc). It will always be somewhat subjective. The reality right now is that the Patriot run is still not over. Until it does end, I'll reserve judgement.

I would list the Packers ahead of both of these teams. They've won Super Bowls in 3 different decades. The Giants as well for the same reason.

Back