Pats claim Floyd off waivers

I highly doubt it. The NFL base of players is 68 % African American (general pop is 13%) with the large majority making the NFL as a ticket out of poverty and low income/criminal neighborhoods. Of these men, very few have male role models of any kind. This has led to the high incidents of DV in the NFL as well as substance abuse issues, much more than any other pro sport.

If you're going to make a questionable and inflammatory claim like that, I hope you have something to back it up with. It's one thing to make posts with nothing to back it up about football, but quite another on topics like this.

You may have missed my follow up post but I included this article from USA Today, http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...lence-arrests-aaron-hernandez-column/2772713/

Here's a quote from that article:

This is not a scientific analysis.

Also, USAToday is often referred to as "McPaper".

People who are serious about their nutrition don't eat at McDonalds - people who are serious about their information sources don't rely upon USAToday.

Maybe you have other sources that you can cite to back up your assertion; I'm willing to keep an open mind about it, but would like to see something from someone that knows how to conduct a study, and not only the opinion of Gary Bauer.

Substance abuse crosses all gender, social, and economic lines. It's unfortunate but it may be the one thing all of us do have in common. My best friend growing up recently drank himself to death at thirty. He had a supportive family growing up, was a double physics/biochemistry major and was designing software out in Arizona. A smart good guy who had a progressive problem that no one could help him with. It's an awful thing.

Here's a quote from that article:

Also, USAToday is often referred to as "McPaper".

People who are serious about their nutrition don't eat at McDonalds - people who are serious about their information sources don't rely upon USAToday.

Maybe you have other sources that you can cite to back up your assertion; I'm willing to keep an open mind about it, but would like to see something from someone that knows how to conduct a study, and not only the opinion of Gary Bauer.

There's a preponderance of fake news out there...starting with the major outlets. :coffee:

The topic has been analyzed and written about ad nauseam. It is not my opinion at all. Here is just one example but there are hundreds more on the NFL's demographics as it relates to the issues facing the league in regards to gun violence, DV and substance abuse, http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...lence-arrests-aaron-hernandez-column/2772713/

Your initial post failed to distinguish between the 68% of all African-American players in the NFL and the 26 players that article studied, all of whom had been charged with violent crimes or arrested since the 2010-2011 season. I didn't do the math, but it is crystal clear that those 26 players represent a very small percentage of the total of black guys in the league and it is not a random sample.

It seems reasonable to me that those players may have a more difficult upbringing/domestic situation than players who did not get arrested and your assumptions that there is no difference between those groups in terms of lack of male role models is questionable, at best.

I get your basic point that this is a big problem among black NFL players, but it is the way you are connecting the dots that I have a problem with.

I shouldn't have to point out that there are plenty of black guys in the NFL that grew up in stable two-parent households and are, in fact, excellent guys who mind their own business and don't commit crimes, but since it is the Christmas season, I'm in a charitable mood and I decided to share the good news.

You're welcome.

There is no way that the NBA doesn't have more players from broken homes than the NFL.

An NBA roster only has 15 players. An NFL roster has over 50.

I can easily see the NFL having more players of any given demographic.

I highly doubt it. The NFL base of players is 68 % African American (general pop is 13%) with the large majority making the NFL as a ticket out of poverty and low income/criminal neighborhoods. Of these men, very few have male role models of any kind. This has led to the high incidents of DV in the NFL as well as substance abuse issues, much more than any other pro sport.

I wanted to take a moment to apologize for the above post. It was typed in haste and comes across unintentionally as me saying all of the NFL's problems are the result of its high African american population. My post was responding to another poster who had said he/she didn't think the issues (substance abuse, I added in gun violence and DV) pertaining to the NFL were happening more than the general population. My post was in reference to that as African american men comprise the majority of the NFL unlike the general population and many of the players come from underprivileged backgrounds with the NFL as a way out of poverty for them and their families. This is also true for many of the other races (white, hispanic, etc) that comprise the NFL.

One of the main charters for Roger when he came into the league in 2006 was to clean up its image and be "Joe Law." If you remember back then the league had been mired in the saga's of Ray Caruth and Ray Lewis and wanted the league to have an image make over. It was at this time that many, many articles were written on the demographics of the NFL and its players and more have continued to be written with the cases of Michael Vick, Aaron Hernandez, Ray Rice, etc. Many of the articles are like the USA Today one I cited that bring together stats and then form an opinion based on those stats. I also realize that correlation does not always equal causation but there is a lot to be drawn from the demographics of the NFL and the issues that face the league.

In a follow up post I had mentioned that I thought the league should adopt a mentor program like what Dungy did for Vick when he was released from jail. Have all the incoming rookies be paired with a mentor who can counsel them on making good choices and also deal with directly any substance abuse issues as many draft picks come into the league with drug/drinking issues like Floyd.

Anyways, I hope that helps to clarify. I am very excited to see if Floyd plays today and pray this kid can get his life together and contribute to our team. I truly believe the Pats is the best team this kid could have landed on to get his life together and continue his career.

Funny how cleanng up the image was done by making Ray Lewis a super hero and commented after he retired despite the fact he is one f'd up dude.

Additional proof Ol Roger Go'ell has no clue what he is doing.

Funny how cleanng up the image was done by making Ray Lewis a super hero and commented after he retired despite the fact he is one f'd up dude.

Additional proof Ol Roger Go'ell has no clue what he is doing.

Some of us don't forget that he's a double murderer, and had a good fall guy to blame it all on.

The white suit is still missing, and only Ray Lewis knows where it is. :coffee:

Back