Peter King Retires - Says getting the Deflategate story wrong haunts him

Roberto71

Reaction score
I disagreed with his takes a lot, but I still always read MMQB and, lately, FMIA. He's calling time on his career. His last FMIA is below, full of memories and his favourite interviewees etc. He's a decent chap even if he got a lot of calls wrong in his career.

Not the best, not the worst... Had a few key fumbles over the course of his career but he was always in the thick of the juicy stuff. Hope he enjoys his retirement.

Hope that he has a happy and healthy retirement. Like everyone else in his "profession", he won't be missed by me.

Before Deflategate I was a fan. He could write, but he didn't dig for the truth enough. Still I enjoyed reading him before DG.
I agree. His career arc is one where he started out tremendous and on point and then succumbed to the changing media market and became interested in clicks. He also lied too and did not own up with Spygate and DG. I basically stopped following him after that.

Wow, he says his biggest regret was the Deflategate Story. Says it haunts him that he got it wrong, and it brought him a lot of shame.

Why could he not have forcefully said this much earlier?

Great post.

So why did he wait? Seems obvious. Had he said that prior to retiring he would have been persona non grata in NY and likely in Connecticut.

Great post.

So why did he wait? Seems obvious. Had he said that prior to retiring he would have been persona non grata in NY and likely in Connecticut.
Correct. Shows how weak these reporters really are. If they criticise too heavily, they get cut off and will be in Siberia with nobody willing to talk to them and all access cut off.

King also got the whole Ray Rice story so badly wrong. He went along with the Raven's initial story, never questioning it until that dreadful CCTV footage came out of Rice punching his lady with full force in the elevator.

And he defended his voting of that fraud Ray Lewis into the HOF.

Hey, it's great that he finally admitted what many never did.

However, he and a lot of other journos saw the value in jumping on the CHEATERS!!! train
because a lot of people were looking for a chance to vent and got really stupid.

He was so far overboard back then it made me sick. Totally pompous and indignant. I've
almost never read or listened to anything he did since. That story brought out the
absolute worst in people.

I hope your retirement sucks, Pete. Nobody cares about your shit anymore.

Hey, it's great that he finally admitted what many never did.

However, he and a lot of other journos saw the value in jumping on the CHEATERS!!! train
because a lot of people were looking for a chance to vent and got really stupid.

He was so far overboard back then it made me sick. Totally pompous and indignant. I've
almost never read or listened to anything he did since. That story brought out the
absolute worst in people.

I hope your retirement sucks, Pete. Nobody cares about your shit anymore.

He stood by his buddy Chris Mortensen, who left the erroneous report up for over a year.

I wouldn't piss on either of them if they were on fire.

this is like believing your spouse cheated on you while not bothering to gather evidence,using that as a reason to conduct a public messy divorce and smearing your ex's name. then 20 years later saying "oops my bad" for no reason.

this is the herald posting the tiny correction on the walkthrough tapes buried deep in the paper after contributing to destroying the pats 2007 season.

:4321:peter king

this is like believing your spouse cheated on you while not bothering to gather evidence,using that as a reason to conduct a public messy divorce and smearing your ex's name. then 20 years later saying "oops my bad" for no reason.

this is the herald posting the tiny correction on the walkthrough tapes buried deep in the paper after contributing to destroying the pats 2007 season.

:4321:peter king
That was the most egregious of all (for me).

A day late and a dollar short but thanks for admitting to not thoroughly doing your job Peter King. :mad:

Back