Randon Post-Draft Musings

Given the dearth of TE talent on the roster (not named Gronk), and the fact that LaFell lined up in a TE/H-back spot for 60% of his receptions last season, and that he's been a fairly good red-zone target, and that he's evidently a very good run-blocker - it seems to me that he's likely to stick as part of the plan to cover the various complementary TE roles in the aggregate. Other guys will pitch-in, too, to cover various functions. And, if Keller is healthy and signed, that would be a bonus.

Overall, it seems to me that the goal here - including the signing of a bunch of RBs who can catch - is to try to ensure that Brady has five legit passing targets available in every set while still maintaining a legitimate threat to run successfully. Play-action, y'know.

Given the dearth of TE talent on the roster (not named Gronk), and the fact that LaFell lined up in a TE/H-back spot for 60% of his receptions last season, and that he's been a fairly good red-zone target, and that he's evidently a very good run-blocker - it seems to me that he's likely to stick as part of the plan to cover the various complementary TE roles in the aggregate. Other guys will pitch-in, too, to cover various functions. And, if Keller is healthy and signed, that would be a bonus.

Overall, it seems to me that the goal here - including the signing of a bunch of RBs who can catch - is to try to ensure that Brady has five legit passing targets available in every set while still maintaining a legitimate threat to run successfully. Play-action, y'know.

So while everyone was screaming for a move TE, we had him on the roster already. Interesting. I wonder if BB knew that.

2001 Brady was average, nothing special but the defense was balls.

2003 Brady was above average and teh defense was still the nuts

2004 Brady was above average and the defense was still a woody.

2007 Brady was the mast that any sail could be sailed but the front line was less than expected not allowing the "love you long time" threats to make plays - this was the exposing of the weakness in the Patriots armor

after the knee injury brady was still A great QB who would soon begin slipping out of elite as his defense goes from learning the game to controlling the game.

A BB defense is LB centered, always was, always will be. This group if helthy seems to be athletic anough to fill the roles BB likes. The DL with Jones and Nick,have steady play, one is ready to break out while the other is consistent. The DT's are all over the place but we learned last year a couple of undrafted rookies could get you to the AFCCG so the return of the big guys Kelley and vince with the new should solidify the inside to allow the LB's to create chaos.

The DB's added Revis and Browner, has McCourty and is lacking the thumper but I think that position is now a luxury but not needed with a Cover LB like Collins and can be morphed into a 4 CB backfield with Logan Ryan. In a league of Big WR's and TE's that can run and catch, the ability to cover with hitters who are corners at safety will help control the game. We all saw a corner, Talib, take out Graham.

so what I am saying is as Brady begins to lose it, and the defense gains, the patriots are poised to make a run of 3 in 4 again to close out his career in NE as the greatest ever.

I agree with that assessment that the general talent level on both O & D could result in another run of 3 in 4. I'm not going to say TFB gets them all, as he is fading, and going 4 years without another 2008 injury season, is unlikely.

Many are ready to abandon Mallet but he threw only 3 passes, so how are they measuring him? Nor do I think it is definite that he goes in 2015. If I were him I wouldn't with a chance to inherit a contender as opposed to some hell hole like Raiders, Jacksonville etc.

It may come down to a Mallett/Garap QB pairing eventually, but unlikely it will be a Garap/Mallett one.

I still think that Mallett is better than both Cassell and Hoyer, and I still like both of them. Garap has a long way to go from a third rate footbal program, unlike Michjgan or Arkansas levels of football that Brady and Mallet hail from.

I know that I can see the decline in Manning and many agree: and also in Brady, but Pats fans can't, and issue excuses, IMHO.

So lafell plays the role many thought Harrison would

The thing is, LaFell being on the roster to (potentially) play at least part of the move-TE role does NOT rule out Harrison being retained to also fill part of that gap. Absent a Keller signing, the other candidates to fill that 4th roster spot for "TE" are ASA Watson (FB/TE), Tyler Beck (FB/TE), Justin Jones (goalpost/TE) and Tyler Ott (LS/TE). Harrison is bigger than Lafell (about the same hgt/wgt as Watson) and much more athletic than any of them.

The thing is, LaFell being on the roster to (potentially) play at least part of the move-TE role does NOT rule out Harrison being retained to also fill part of that gap. Absent a Keller signing, the other candidates to fill that 4th roster spot for "TE" are ASA Watson (FB/TE), Tyler Beck (FB/TE), Justin Jones (goalpost/TE) and Tyler Ott (LS/TE). Harrison is bigger than Lafell (about the same hgt/wgt as Watson) and much more athletic than any of them.

I was thinking Harrison becomes the move TE based on end of the season roster but you made a nice point saying laFells has a bit of experience playing this role. I agree he could become the APerp role along with Harrison as long as both can play some special teams because Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce and Gallon are in the WR spots to be beat out but the move TE is open.

I agree with that assessment that the general talent level on both O & D could result in another run of 3 in 4. I'm not going to say TFB gets them all, as he is fading, and going 4 years without another 2008 injury season, is unlikely.

Many are ready to abandon Mallet but he threw only 3 passes, so how are they measuring him? Nor do I think it is definite that he goes in 2015. If I were him I wouldn't with a chance to inherit a contender as opposed to some hell hole like Raiders, Jacksonville etc.

It may come down to a Mallett/Garap QB pairing eventually, but unlikely it will be a Garap/Mallett one.

I still think that Mallett is better than both Cassell and Hoyer, and I still like both of them. Garap has a long way to go from a third rate footbal program, unlike Michjgan or Arkansas levels of football that Brady and Mallet hail from.

I know that I can see the decline in Manning and many agree: and also in Brady, but Pats fans can't, and issue excuses, IMHO.

Romo came from that same program and took over after sitting behind random QB's for three years.
If JG can sit behind Tom for 2-3 years, there's no reason why his pedigree should dictate whether he's ably fit to take over.
At least not in my opinion.

I knew he'd played TE/H some down there, but I had not heard the 60% figure until this post. That was a bit of a surprise. So, he basically had about 30 catches and a few TDs in that role. Not bad.

I looked at his frame and assumed he wasn't a serious candidate to handle the blocking duties there, but if his rep is otherwise I'll give him a chance while wondering what the Pats are feeding him to put some meat on those bones. He's decidedly slim for the position.

Romo came from that same program and took over after sitting behind random QB's for three years.
If JG can sit behind Tom for 2-3 years, there's no reason why his pedigree should dictate whether he's ably fit to take over.
At least not in my opinion.

Sound & cogent point.

But wasn't Romo a desperation insertion in Dallas? Didn't Bledsoe get hurt, and there simply was no one else? So Parcells turned to his PS QB, who was exposed to the NFL for at least two if not three years. To Romo's credit he stepped up and performed admirably when his chance came.

Strange coincidence, that Bledsoe was the QB when Brady and Romo got their chances.

But it underlines the point that Garapolo likely isn't ready now; and it might take more than one season to have him ready to step up from FCS level football, to the NFL.

I couldn't possibly disagree with this more. Mallett is gone, pure and simple. You don't invest in a second round pick in a QB if you think there is even a chance that he's a long term third depth guy. You just don't.

The only way that scenario makes a lick of sense is if Brady was at the end, Mallett was pegged to be the heir and the team wanted to give themselves a second option just in case. The problem with this theory is that Tom is not at the end, he's simply in a long descent. He's still one of the best 5 QBs in the game and the remainder of his deal pays him closer to Cassell and McCown numbers than Manning or Brees.

I know you like to defend Mallett, but the writing is all over the wall. In bold font. :)

Sound & cogent point.

But wasn't Romo a desperation insertion in Dallas? Didn't Bledsoe get hurt, and there simply was no one else? So Parcells turned to his PS QB, who was exposed to the NFL for at least two if not three years. To Romo's credit he stepped up and performed admirably when his chance came.

Strange coincidence, that Bledsoe was the QB when Brady and Romo got their chances.

But it underlines the point that Garapolo likely isn't ready now; and it might take more than one season to have him ready to step up from FCS level football, to the NFL.

Romo was a Parcells boy and the situation was actually pretty similar to what happened in NE. Game situations dictated when he went in, but it had already been decided that Romo was going to replace Bledsoe soon anyway. It was only a surprise outside the locker room.

Where does PFF place TFB+ in the top 101? A big drop from 2012 to 2013 for Brady.

90. Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots (21st)
In a lot of ways this was the most difficult season Brady has endured in a long while. Losing his top targets either permanently or for most of the season injured left him with a cast of receiving options that represented something of a drop off. So he should be commended for fighting through it to have another fine year even if his performances tended to range from the sublime (check his best performance) to the ridiculous (a -6.6 grade versus the Jets in Week 7).
Best Performance: Week 9, PIT @ NE, +6.1
Key Stat: Brady earned the second-most yards in the league when using play action with 1,527.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/12/pffs-top-101-of-2013-90-to-81/

Brady is their 6th best QB from 2013 after Manning, Rivers, Brees, Wilson & Rogers.

Sound & cogent point.

Absolutely. That's WHY this makes so much sense. Get him in the program. In the meetings. In the routine. With a 1% chance of playing. Get significant number of practices in. A lot of pre season snaps this year and next. Do it again the following year. And the year after. THEN you MAY have the heir apparent.

I couldn't possibly disagree with this more. Mallett is gone, pure and simple. You don't invest in a second round pick in a QB if you think there is even a chance that he's a long term third depth guy. You just don't.

The only way that scenario makes a lick of sense is if Brady was at the end, Mallett was pegged to be the heir and the team wanted to give themselves a second option just in case. The problem with this theory is that Tom is not at the end, he's simply in a long descent. He's still one of the best 5 QBs in the game and the remainder of his deal pays him closer to Cassell and McCown numbers than Manning or Brees.

I know you like to defend Mallett, but the writing is all over the wall. In bold font. :)

Romo was a Parcells boy and the situation was actually pretty similar to what happened in NE. Game situations dictated when he went in, but it had already been decided that Romo was going to replace Bledsoe soon anyway. It was only a surprise outside the locker room.

Yeah I'm not a big Dallas follower but the notion they had this kid the Tuna was in love with and wanted playing was pretty widespread knowledge.

It's a perfect scenario and why I liked the pick so much, actually.
Unless you think Tom is going to burn out or break something, JG will get tutelage from the GOAT and once the GOAT decides to retire in 2-3 years, we have the potential heir.

That's obviously best case scenario, but I am not willing to consider worst case scenarios in this case.

It's a perfect scenario and why I liked the pick so much, actually.
Unless you think Tom is going to burn out or break something, JG will get tutelage from the GOAT and once the GOAT decides to retire in 2-3 years, we have the potential heir.

That's obviously best case scenario, but I am not willing to consider worst case scenarios in this case.

I am! Worst case scenario is that he flops, but if he does that gives NE time to find another heir. If the end is in sight, I like the idea of giving yourself a couple cracks at a finding a replacement.

I am! Worst case scenario is that he flops, but if he does that gives NE time to find another heir. If the end is in sight, I like the idea of giving yourself a couple cracks at a finding a replacement.

I'm already tired of the talking heads who say we could have drafted a QB next year and picked up help to win now. What if JG doesn't work out as expected? THEN there's next year to give the next guy 2 years to get it together. Besides, Greg Cosell says there isn't a pocket passer in next year's draft right now who projects to be as good as JG does. That's 2 great reasons to pick him up now.

I'm already tired of the talking heads who say we could have drafted a QB next year and picked up help to win now. What if JG doesn't work out as expected? THEN there's next year to give the next guy 2 years to get it together. Besides, Greg Cosell says there isn't a pocket passer in next year's draft right now who projects to be as good as JG does. That's 2 great reasons to pick him up now.

Not only that, but list me all the rookies at the end of the 2nd that had prominent roles in their teams SB victories.

I bet it's a short list.

No kidding. I am hoping some dumbass media person will actually ask BB this question about OMG NOT PICKING TO WIN NOWWWW11111!! so I can hear the "snort of derision heard round the world" he will give as his answer.

Where does PFF place TFB+ in the top 101? A big drop from 2012 to 2013 for Brady.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/12/pffs-top-101-of-2013-90-to-81/

Brady is their 6th best QB from 2013 after Manning, Rivers, Brees, Wilson & Rogers.

I don't think much of PFF but i thought this was on a a vote of NFL players.

I can see the descent, they can see the descent, Only PatsFans in Denial, don't wish to see the descent...

I hope he bounces back in 2014 as Comeback of the Year. But COY is an echo of descent.

Back