Randon Post-Draft Musings

Ed Werder ‏<s>@</s>Edwerderespn <small class="time"> 10m </small> It seems Michael Sam and representatives did not disclose to the Rams or other teams his OWN documentary plan, fearing might not be picked

Yeah, well, not the best way to start a new job.

I'm not following the story that much because I think it should be a non-issue and it's ridiculous that his sexual preference is such a hot topic. HOWEVER, I also think it's pretty typical that he indulges the media and plays up the angle that his sexual preference is something we need to discuss (ie. documentary). I get that this is a historic moment and all that, but isn't he just reinforcing the fears execs and others had going into the draft re: drafting a gay player?

I'm not following the story that much because I think it should be a non-issue and it's ridiculous that his sexual preference is such a hot topic. HOWEVER, I also think it's pretty typical that he indulges the media and plays up the angle that his sexual preference is something we need to discuss (ie. documentary). I get that this is a historic moment and all that, but isn't he just reinforcing the fears execs and others had going into the draft re: drafting a gay player?

IDK. Sam isn't all that gifted an athlete or football player. I'm not saying that he can't stick to the roster and contribute something meaningful on the field. I just think that his agent is merely being smart about keeping the notoriety/publicity thing rolling to try to ensure at least the possibility of a segue into some media/entertainment career if he does wash out of the league in a couple seasons.

I don't disagree, but it's a real shame. Instead of being a football player who happens to be gay, he's playing up the angle of being a gay man who happens to play football.

From what little I have seen on the subject, Sam seems to be more interested in being a celebrity than a football player. Kinda like how I felt about Manziel these last couple years.

I don't disagree, but it's a real shame. Instead of being a football player who happens to be gay, he's playing up the angle of being a gay man who happens to play football.

Exactly.

The best way to break down the barriers would be for him to keep his mouth shut, work hard and make himself into a great football player. Just the way a non-gay should do it. See Robinson, Jackie. Make himself indispensible on the field first and the rest will follow without a doubt.

Once he makes himself known as a desirable player he can get the endorsements, the big contract, become a leader and eventually get book deals etc. as a genuine pioneer. Post-career he'd always be famous and an icon for a significant number of people. He'd be all set and leave a lasting legacy.

However, this show is way too soon. It's incredibly stupid. He's going to make it tougher both for himself and for the next gay athlete-- not easier. I think it is very self-indulgent and I'm disappointed in the guy. I hope he changes his mind and I was rooting for him to do really well.

Now......

However, this show is way too soon. It's incredibly stupid. He's going to make it tougher both for himself and for the next gay athlete-- not easier. I think it is very self-indulgent and I'm disappointed in the guy. I hope he changes his mind and I was rooting for him to do really well.

My thoughts too.

And now all the naysayers can point to his antics and declare, "SEE!" with some merit.

Exactly.

The best way to break down the barriers would be for him to keep his mouth shut, work hard and make himself into a great football player. Just the way a non-gay should do it. See Robinson, Jackie. Make himself indispensible on the field first and the rest will follow without a doubt.

Once he makes himself known as a desirable player he can get the endorsements, the big contract, become a leader and eventually get book deals etc. as a genuine pioneer. Post-career he'd always be famous and an icon for a significant number of people. He'd be all set and leave a lasting legacy.

Now......

I agree, I don't care if he is gay or straight.
If he is on my team I want him to be a damn good football player with no stupid past, present or future things that will make me upset, things like APerp or countless other Bengal players have done (see Jones, Adam "pacman"

I don't think Sam himself is necessarily the prime mover in all, or perhaps any of what's happening. I mean, yes, he's going along with the media play (maybe reluctantly, maybe not), but very probably at the behest of his agent. Gay rights groups would have a legitimate interest in keeping this conversation going in the media. Oprah and the other denizens of the media machine certainly see ratings in this. Not being cynical. It is their job, after all.

Coupled with the "I just want all the fuss to stop so I can start playing football" press conference he gave, it's more than a bit silly.

I don't think Sam himself is necessarily the prime mover in all, or perhaps any of what's happening. I mean, yes, he's going along with the media play (maybe reluctantly, maybe not), but very probably at the behest of his agent. Gay rights groups would have a legitimate interest in keeping this conversation going in the media. Oprah and the other denizens of the media machine certainly see ratings in this. Not being cynical. It is their job, after all.

He's a grown-ass man and fully capable of saying no whenever he wants except for his coaches, etc. Since when do agents tell players what to do? Did Jerry Maguire tell Rod Tidwell what to do? No, Rod told Jerry to show him the money.

Because Sam is a gay pioneer doesn't mean he needs to hop on the publicity tour bus. Any pro-gay organization, media outlet or entity that is trying to glom onto him for their own purposes right now should be back the eff off.

The problem is that they don't see that Michael Sam's success as a player is the real key to helping gays break into pro sports and they aren't doing anything to help him do that. He's a consumable. This week's hot topic and that's it.

The Michael Sam issue should not be about anybody making money, imo. There are bigger fish to fry.

It's always about the money.

I really wished he was just a football player because I prefer he makes it in the NFL so this whole stupid adjective of "gay" added to football player would be dropped. I wanted him to make it as Michael Sam football player, nothing else. I am still wishing the kid luck, I hope he is a gamer, a Sunday afternoon star but I think it is tough enough to make the NfL to begin with, add the distractions he is going to face, self inflicted ones beyond sexual preference and I can't see it happening.

He was like a 7th rounder right?

What do you think the results would be of ANY other 7th rounder going to the FO to let them know of your blossoming TV plans?

Just once, I'd love to see a prominent member of a protected group refuse to go with that group's agenda and see if the media would respect that the person doesn't have to be defined by being__________. I've always found it quite hypocritical of people to say respect and equal rights for _______, unless they step out of groupthink then they are an sellout, or whatever.

It's possible that such behavior would increase his chances of making the team.

Playing such a role would increase his recognition and significance to various groups

If the Rams were to cut him, then those groups would raise a stink and the whole thing would be a PR nightmare for the team.

This could be factored into their evaluation, and if he's in competition with player X, it might make a difference in that choice.

I'm not suggesting that this is what's motivating Sam, simply noting the potential impact.

Of course, this very well could have influenced his agent.

Back