Report: Browns interested in trade for Garoppolo

I wonder about Belichick with regards to how he's handled players in the past. His tendency is to trade players a year or two early to get some value rather than later and get nothing. Wilfork, Jones, Vrabel, Mankins, etc. All played a few more yrs somewhere else. Will this apply to Brady also or will he get a Patriot pass and be allowed to retire as probably the greatest Patriot ever to play the game? When Tom says he wants to play another 5 yrs. Is it possible he ends up as trade bait in 2 or 3 more seasons? Depending on how BB views this could determine what they do with Jimmy G. Will we see another Montana/Young or Farve/Rogers type situation in NE?

God, I hope not. Brady has adjusted his contract before so he could remain with the team. I assume he'd just do that again to ensure he stays in NE until he retires.

I would think Brady would retire before playing for a crap team in a trade. But let's see what happens this week. I still say, if he gets another ring--and especially if he has a great game and wins MVP--I won't be shocked if he says, "You know what, I've done it all, I'm the GOAT, time to walk away healthy."

I wonder about Belichick with regards to how he's handled players in the past. His tendency is to trade players a year or two early to get some value rather than later and get nothing. Wilfork, Jones, Vrabel, Mankins, etc. All played a few more yrs somewhere else. Will this apply to Brady also or will he get a Patriot pass and be allowed to retire as probably the greatest Patriot ever to play the game? When Tom says he wants to play another 5 yrs. Is it possible he ends up as trade bait in 2 or 3 more seasons? Depending on how BB views this could determine what they do with Jimmy G. Will we see another Montana/Young or Farve/Rogers type situation in NE?

I think one thing is for certain. Brady is going nowhere the next two seasons as he has dead cap hits of $27 mil next year and $14 mil the following season. When he signed that extension this past off-season it insured him two more seasons. After that who knows. So many variables to consider for a 42 year old QB and the cap, etc. I believe he retires a Patriot. I think both Robert and Bill are on the same page with that and will do everything possible to make it happen. I also think Brady wants that too.

JG isn't going anywhere unless it is a blockbuster deal. At that point, Brady would be on the table. If I were a GM who needed to win now, I'd take 2 years of Brady over 4 of JG.

I think we forget that Jimmy actually holds the cards here unless you believe the Pats would consider franchising after this season which I don't. He is a FA after this season. He is not going to sign a moderate extension with the Pats when he can hit the market and get paid a ton. Bill knows this which is why there has been stories since mid-season about the Pats trading him and potential suitors. If the Pats get a #1, Jimmy is gone IMO. I really hope they get a 1 and a mid-rounder too but we will see how desperate the teams are. John Lynch being in San Fran is very interesting. He has no experience and there are reports that San Fran is interested so I could see Bill fleecing him. At least I hope so. :toast:

I mean, this. I can't imagine that SF would pass up on, at the very least, a legitimate starter talent at QB - when not only this year, but next year (except maybe that Rosen kid from UCLA), the cupboard's going to be pretty bare at the QB position. Especially since you're going to get one more cheap year out of Garoppolo.

It's a copycat league and everybody is looking at what the Cowboys got out of Prescott. Maybe everybody is focused too much on the "consensus franchise" guys, like a Rosen and will go bargain shopping like Dallas did with outstanding success. It happens every Spring. Its a fact that few observers got excited about Dak Prescott prior to the draft but he was light years better than the overall One.

I also can't imagine Shanahan's going to be ok with running out the Gabbert/Kaepernick experience again next year. They're both free to cut, neither set the world on fire last year, but you can keep one as a competent-enough backup (likely Gabbert).

Sure. Great point. He will definitely not go with the status quo and Kaepernick is the odd man out.

Personally, I want to see the Patriots get creative and keep Garoppolo, under the assumption that Brady is done in two years (whether he likes it or not, really). I've got zero confidence in Jacoby Brissett, he showed me nothing in college, and nothing in his starts here (albeit he was hurt for a couple of those), that leads me to believe he's a starting QB at the NFL level. And, like I said, there's not a hell of a lot of talent out there for the next couple of years.

What I keep coming back to is not how Brissett actually played, especially since clearly he wasn't ready to fully execute the offense, but all of the glowing reports about his leadership that are trickling in.

Nobody has ever suggested that Jimmy is a shitty leader -- or that guys don't want to see him in there -- but I keep hearing that Jacoby is Norman Schwartzkopf crossed with Bill Russell and guys would follow him up Pork Chop Hill.

On the field, I thought he was far more mobile and strong than I thought he was and he also threw the ball with much better zip than expected before he mangled his thumb.

You might have zero confidence in him, but I'd elevate him all the way up to "unknown with the possibility of having something here" which is not enough to feel good about him being the future.

I wish we could find a way to keep Jimmy, but I can't see a way to make that happen.

I still would not be surprised, with all the discounts Brady his given this team, if he has a no-trade clause in his contract.

If you can get the # 12, you do it. I hope Jimmy stays and takes over for Brady, but that's way too good to pass up.

Market heats up...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/h...rs-to-land-garoppolo-romo-in-nfls-qb-shuffle/

The Chicago Bears will make a strong, concerted effort to acquire quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the Patriots, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. The Illinois native is far and away their top offseason priority.

Many teams view Garoppolo as the best option of all potential free-agent or trade targets, and the Bears will have competition. Teams like the Browns, Jets and 49ers could provide opposition, but the Bears' intent and willingness to complete a trade could not be more serious. Quarterback is an acute need -- the Bears are moving on from Jay Cutler -- and jobs are on the line there after two poor seasons from the John Fox and Ryan Pace regime. The Bears have abundant draft picks they could trade -- including picks in the top three of each round -- and while rival executives do not believe the Patriots will land a first-round pick that high via trade, a package including multiple high second-round picks is quite possible. Furthermore, trading Garoppolo out of the AFC would appeal to the Patriots, who expect him to prosper elsewhere.

Market heats up...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/h...rs-to-land-garoppolo-romo-in-nfls-qb-shuffle/

The Chicago Bears will make a strong, concerted effort to acquire quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the Patriots, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. The Illinois native is far and away their top offseason priority.

Many teams view Garoppolo as the best option of all potential free-agent or trade targets, and the Bears will have competition. Teams like the Browns, Jets and 49ers could provide opposition, but the Bears' intent and willingness to complete a trade could not be more serious. Quarterback is an acute need -- the Bears are moving on from Jay Cutler -- and jobs are on the line there after two poor seasons from the John Fox and Ryan Pace regime. The Bears have abundant draft picks they could trade -- including picks in the top three of each round -- and while rival executives do not believe the Patriots will land a first-round pick that high via trade, a package including multiple high second-round picks is quite possible. Furthermore, trading Garoppolo out of the AFC would appeal to the Patriots, who expect him to prosper elsewhere.

If there is any truth to this story, then the Bears are smarter than I thought they were.

The bolded part is about what I expected and it's nice to see it being discussed.

I think we forget that Jimmy actually holds the cards here unless you believe the Pats would consider franchising after this season which I don't. He is a FA after this season.

He is under contract for the 2017 season. BB currently holds all the cards and I speculate that its possible the Pats are the source of some of these rumors to induce a bidding war.....if so, that's smart on their part. With a teams expectation that there is a good possibility to obtain a franchise QB, I expect the bid price to escalate a bit higher than most anticipate. How high remains to be seen, but even if there is only one bidder, BB is smart enough to leverage all of the media driven hoopla (Team X, Y, and Z want Jimmy) to generate imaginary competition for Jimmy's services and drive up the price. Wish I was a fly on the wall during this private auction........

JG isn't going anywhere unless it is a blockbuster deal. At that point, Brady would be on the table. If I were a GM who needed to win now, I'd take 2 years of Brady over 4 of JG.

Brady is not on the table because his dead money would be huge. That and he is playing like an MVP, but that is beside the point. I think if a team offers a first rounder for JG he would be out the door in two seconds.

Personally, I want to see the Patriots get creative and keep Garoppolo, under the assumption that Brady is done in two years (whether he likes it or not, really). I've got zero confidence in Jacoby Brissett, he showed me nothing in college, and nothing in his starts here (albeit he was hurt for a couple of those), that leads me to believe he's a starting QB at the NFL level. And, like I said, there's not a hell of a lot of talent out there for the next couple of years.

I was all for keeping Jimmy, but Brady's apparent immortality throws an enormous monkey wrench into that equation. The financials don't work at all under the presumption that Tommy's the quarterback in 2019, and you wouldn't expect Gops to be all that thrilled about still being a backup at that point either. Barring a retirement agreement already in place, moving on is the only sensible option.

As for Brissett, he looked every bit a rookie in his two starts, but he was far more polished than expected in the preseason. At that point, he looked like he could be pretty good, and the teams treatment of him since gives me no reason to move from that assessment.

Back