Smart TVs and Boxes/cord cutting

Just did it a couple of weeks ago.

- Roku Express box ($30), with SlingTV Orange and Blue ($39.98)
- TERK Amplifed Ultra Long Range Indoor Antenna ($120 - boasts 60 mi range)

I live in Worcester, right in the middle of the city in an apartment, so anything but indoor antenna is not an option.

I really didn't expect it to work at all. Outside of like, Channel 27, there's no other antennas w/in 45 miles of my house. After multiple (like probably 100 or so) auto scans on the TV, ended up with 2,4,5,7,27,56.

I don't know what's going to happen with the new NBC station power-wise, so we'll see.

I'll probably do more scans after the football season (because at times I've picked up stations in Providence, and those towers are more like 60 miles away), and hope some day the wind is blowing right, and I have it in the right spot in my apt. to pick up a whole bunch of channels, so I can at least have them on my tv to look for (I do have to move the antenna around the place for different channels).

I didn't expect the antenna to work at all so to me, it's worth it. The amplifier makes a huge difference, obviously.

I've read complaints about the Roku Express, but for me it really works just fine, no problems. And it's inexpensive, so if it breaks, I'll just get another one.

Also dropped the landline, went to cell only. Last Cable bill was $212.04, we'll see what it is going forward (guessing around $70 for the internet). I'm pleased, my TV viewing is virtually unchanged (I think Redzone is another $10, we'll see about that, probably wait for next year)

Includes install on the roof. Probably just a top end amplified on a tall mast.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I mean, the good news is, even in the deepest recesses of Cow Hampshire, you'd likely get Boston and Portland both. Those have ranges of over 100 mi. I wish I could get one of those type antennas, because instead of 6 channels, I'd get 60. :shrug:

I mean, the good news is, even in the deepest recesses of Cow Hampshire, you'd likely get Boston and Portland both. Those have ranges of over 100 mi. I wish I could get one of those type antennas, because instead of 6 channels, I'd get 60. :shrug:

You may actually be able to if you have a porch that is not a common area. There are some pretty hefty FCC rules that are very permissive of antennas even in rental situations.

Yeah, it is still tempting for me. Especially for the increased picture quality. Glad you got a bunch of stations in Wormtown.

Yeah you'll probably need to re-point for the new NBC stations. They will be broadcasting it on 2 different UHF stations I believe.

How do you like Sling? I am not crazy about the interface, and it's strange how some stations are live, some have on demand content, some don't. Hoping as time goes on, they get a more consistent experience. I am glad that they are about to start cloud DVR testing.

You may actually be able to if you have a porch that is not a common area. There are some pretty hefty FCC rules that are very permissive of antennas even in rental situations.

Yeah, it is still tempting for me. Especially for the increased picture quality. Glad you got a bunch of stations in Wormtown.

Yeah you'll probably need to re-point for the new NBC stations. They will be broadcasting it on 2 different UHF stations I believe.

How do you like Sling? I am not crazy about the interface, and it's strange how some stations are live, some have on demand content, some don't. Hoping as time goes on, they get a more consistent experience. I am glad that they are about to start cloud DVR testing.

I mean, for the price, I can't really beat it. ESPN 1, 2 and 3, FS1 and 2, and NFL Network are all live, so I really don't miss anything that way, as well as your TBS, TNT, etc. I do wonder if they're going to add channels in the future, but really anything I would want to watch live is there. Obviously it would be nice if there were a traditional guide, but really I've gotten used to it pretty quickly

Some have the On Demand, some don't - I didn't really ever watch On Demand before, and I already have no a couple of times.

I dunno, worth it to me for sure. I'm going to be saving $150/mo. :shrug:

I swore I would never do this but I broke down last night and purchased NFL Game Pass on my Roku last night when I realized I could watch the entire broadcast of the Cardinals game. Plus "coaches game film" and a condensed version (which I haven't seen). Nice to watch an entire game without commercial interruptions. So for $49 I can watch all the games that have been played this season (Until July I think).

Was looking at a Roku Premiere + today. $89.99. UHD 4K.

Is there monthly subscription costs with these? Or is it just plug and stream at will?

Was looking at a Roku Premiere + today. $89.99. UHD 4K.

Is there monthly subscription costs with these? Or is it just plug and stream at will?

Just plug and stream.
But any subscriptions to services such as Netflix, Hulu, etc. is not related to the Roku. You will still need to pay for those.

Right what bid said.

I got one of these too on a flyer - the Roku premier as I wanted to try out Sling. You can get the Premier for $50 from Sling (or a free Roku Stick) if you pay for 3 months of Sling.

So yeah, nothing to pay Roku, it is just the box that runs the apps. Some apps you pay for and some you don't. Really depends on what you want to stream.

Also, if it helps anyone to think about it, these boxes are kind of like cell phones or iPads without a screen. The Tv is the screen. The box just connects to your internet and runs apps and organizes the apps into a easy to navigate format.

What you pay for is from the content suppliers like Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, etc...

BUT there are also apps that you can stream from that are ad supported, requiring you to pay nothing.

Just did it a couple of weeks ago.

- Roku Express box ($30), with SlingTV Orange and Blue ($39.98)
- TERK Amplifed Ultra Long Range Indoor Antenna ($120 - boasts 60 mi range)

I live in Worcester, right in the middle of the city in an apartment, so anything but indoor antenna is not an option.

I really didn't expect it to work at all. Outside of like, Channel 27, there's no other antennas w/in 45 miles of my house. After multiple (like probably 100 or so) auto scans on the TV, ended up with 2,4,5,7,27,56.

I don't know what's going to happen with the new NBC station power-wise, so we'll see.

I'll probably do more scans after the football season (because at times I've picked up stations in Providence, and those towers are more like 60 miles away), and hope some day the wind is blowing right, and I have it in the right spot in my apt. to pick up a whole bunch of channels, so I can at least have them on my tv to look for (I do have to move the antenna around the place for different channels).

I didn't expect the antenna to work at all so to me, it's worth it. The amplifier makes a huge difference, obviously.

I've read complaints about the Roku Express, but for me it really works just fine, no problems. And it's inexpensive, so if it breaks, I'll just get another one.

Also dropped the landline, went to cell only. Last Cable bill was $212.04, we'll see what it is going forward (guessing around $70 for the internet). I'm pleased, my TV viewing is virtually unchanged (I think Redzone is another $10, we'll see about that, probably wait for next year)

Two things;

1. Move the antennae around a a bit. I have two for two televisions, not more than 20 feet away from one another, and the one in the bedroom gets about 8 more channels than the one in the living room.

2. Try them with, and without, the amplifier. I'm not sure why, but the amplifier doesn't always help. I actually removed mine and get better reception without it.

I only need the antennae for football games anyway, so I'm happy with the basic stations....the rest is just fluff to me.

It's been 19 months for me....saved about $2000 since cutting the cord. That pays for my recent dental work.:toast:

I'm in Dedham my neighbor has antenna in her house and still has trouble picking up channels. I'll stick with xfinity for now

I'm in Dedham my neighbor has antenna in her house and still has trouble picking up channels. I'll stick with xfinity for now

I took my tv with rabbit ears and got 40 channels at foxboro trans parking lot. I get the same number camping. I am shocked the neighbor gets such a low number.

Is it an old antenna? I mean I just plug my converter box in lot a $10 antenna and don't even play with the location and get all these channels.

And I am close to Dedham.

Installed the fire stick. Unreal how well it works. Starting the purge slowly.

I've had many Roku's over the past 8 years just got a Fire TV stick a few months ago and love it, much faster then my Roku's

Back