Sox Sign Crawford!!!!

Elsbury?

The word "outstanding" doesn't really come to mind.

Post his numbers against the other AL leadoff's.

I think it applies pretty well to a guy who hit .300 and stole 70 bases.

But hey, let's take a look around the league-

the only guys who I would consider equal or are Ichiro...maybe Roberts...

...and that's it.

...and that's it.
He also needed a year to heal from a broken rib.:doh:

Sorry Ozo. I was one of the biggest Ellsbury fangirls around (I will even admit my pink hatedness when it comes to him) but he has a lot of work to do round these here parts.

He also needed a year to heal from a broken rib.:doh:

Sorry Ozo. I was one of the biggest Ellsbury fangirls around (I will even admit my pink hatedness when it comes to him) but he has a lot of work to do round these here parts.

ever had a broken rib? Hurts to breath and there is no measurable time table for recovery. Kind of like the Achilles tendon strain that I've re-injured twice this year.

I'm glad I don't live in Massachusetts. There seems to be something in the water there. I absolutely love you and so many of the other members of my Planet family, but I see what I determine to be a lot of negative attitude that is based in nothing but opinion.

Now all we have to do is pray to God, Allah, Jobu, whoever that Lee re-ups with the Rangers.

...and that's it.

He's hit .300 once. Yes, he did so his rookie season in 100 ABs too.

If you're not going to draw walks enough to bump your .OBP up around .100 points above your BA, or you don't hit .320ish on regular, you're not that great a leadoff hitter.

You can't steal 1st base.

ever had a broken rib? Hurts to breath and there is no measurable time table for recovery. Kind of like the Achilles tendon strain that I've re-injured twice this year.

I'm glad I don't live in Massachusetts. There seems to be something in the water there. I absolutely love you and so many of the other members of my Planet family, but I see what I determine to be a lot of negative attitude that is based in nothing but opinion.
No but I have pushed a couple of humans out of my body. I am going to assume it hurt more :) I have also had broken several bones over the years. Broke 3 toes and continued my dance competion - on my toes. I have a joint disease and walked a marathon and a half. It's pain. Suck it up Nancy (not JD ;) )

Maybe we are negative.:shrug: We're a hard bunch up here and we also have a lot of tough guys (see Brady, Tom) so when someone is perceived to be acting like a bish, he is going to get called out on it. I don't pick on JD if that helps though :) When he stepped up to the plate against the Indians I made a deal with God and have never gone back on it. JD = Best Player Ever.

While I agree with your overall point, Jacoby has been questioned by his teammates, to me that says something.

We also see guys like Cameron & Beltre suck it up, and it makes Elsbury look bad..his attitude doesn't appear to be good either.

Dude, you're not playing for the Boston Red Sox. You're what? Nearly twenty years older than Ellsbury. Let's not compare your other random body part injury to his.

He's soft. It appears he's very much concerned with his next contract and I think Boras is too. I think Boras encouraged him to rest and that he did.

:blah:

"People disagree with me so there must be something wrong with them."

You're all too prone to this response. Remember our bet regarding the production of Cameron/Beltre compared to Bay/Ortiz. How'd that work out for you? Remember your analysis that the Red Sox only had to play something like .700 ball post all-star break and it was entirely plausible? How'd that work out for you.

You're wrong more often than you like to admit and frankly, it gets old reading about how there's something wrong the the faction of fans who don't see it your way.

The Red Sox can hit well against, and beat Cliff Lee. No worries there.

And they have just picked up the two players I would want them to pick up.

You've got your healthy Pedroia, your healthy Youkalis, and your healthy Ellsbury. This is fantastic!

Throw in a fast start by Big Papi, if possible, and the Red Sox are going to be world beaters!

Start swinging now Papi, cause the 3 month warm-up ain't happenin' this year.

Boo-birds WILL be out in full force and early if ya start the crap you did the last 2 years.

Man, that line-up is going to be pretty freakin' scary.

1. Crawford, LF
2. Pedroia, 2B
3. Gonzalez, 1B
4. Ortiz, DH
5. Youkilis, 3B
6. Ellsbury, CF
7. Drew, RF
8. Scutaro, SS
9. Salty, C

JIMP.
Close...but Dre is 6 and Ellsbury is 9 as a "2nd leadoff" guy to help set the table.

This is a great table setter, dangerous on the basepaths, takes sick pressure off Drew, gives huge leverage for the Ellsbury negotiations and/or frees him as valuable trade bait, is a defensive upgrade, and improves depth in an already deep outfield, which with Drew and Ellsbury is critical.

We are 1-2 relievers from dominant. Your top 2 starters are sick, any of 3-5 are fully capable of shutting down any lineup on any given night and/or tossing a 2-4ish ER over the whole season.

The best part is that we have
Beckett/Lester/Lackey/Bard
for pitchers, and
Youk/Pedey/Agon/Crawford/ for everyday guys locked up for awhile. Beautiful.

:toast:
Posted via Mobile Device

Close...but Dre is 6 and Ellsbury is 9 as a "2nd leadoff" guy to help set the table.

This is a great table setter, dangerous on the basepaths, takes sick pressure off Drew, gives huge leverage for the Ellsbury negotiations and/or frees him as valuable trade bait, is a defensive upgrade, and improves depth in an already deep outfield, which with Drew and Ellsbury is critical.

We are 1-2 relievers from dominant. Your top 2 starters are sick, any of 3-5 are fully capable of shutting down any lineup on any given night and/or tossing a 2-4ish ER over the whole season.

The best part is that we have
Beckett/Lester/Lackey/Bard
for pitchers, and
Youk/Pedey/Agon/Crawford/ for everyday guys locked up for awhile. Beautiful.

:toast:
Posted via Mobile Device

Add Bucholz. He's a ways away from FA isn't he?

Add Bucholz. He's a ways away from FA isn't he?
Quite right. I totally forgot about our young stud. We control him through 2013 - he's arbitration eligible from 2011-2013.

Also...

5/2010:
I'm almost 100% certain that Crawford will be an offseason target, either to replace or complement Ellsbury (I'd prefer that Ellsbury stay), but I think they'll have one more big and several small targets for 2011. A couple relievers, likely.
This team gets Hanley Ramirez, and this is the core that is locked up for the foreseeable future:
Position players:

EDIT: OF Crawford through 2017
1B Gonzalez: Through ???
3B
Youkilis: Through 2013
2B Pedroia: Through 2015
SS Ramirez, let's say 4 years plus an option year (and that's likely short): Through 2017

Pitchers:
Beckett: Through 2014
Lester: Through 2014
Lackey: Through 2014

That's a helluva core right there.

Add in locking up Ellsbury and signing Crawford?
Friggin' yikes. That's the top of your lineup for at least 3 years (with 162 game averages - which skew low because they're mostly young players with early careers weighing down average):

Ellsbury: .298/.350, 10, 61, 63
Crawford: .296/.336, 13, 75, 54
Pedroia: .306/.368, 16, 74, 16
Ramirez: .317/.388, 27, 83, 42
Youkilis: .292/.391, 22, 96, 5

Hell, maybe Pedroia drops to #5 and you go Ramirez, Youk, Pedroia...

At any rate, that's a team that will compete year in and year out, just adding in fill-in parts.
On the other hand, if this really is a "bridge year" and they're way back of several teams in June, you lose nothing from trading Papi, and get some marginal gain. I expect the Sox to go hard (and by hard, I mean almost without a spending cap) for Carl Crawford in the offseason, as well as possibly SF's 3B Pablo Sandoval and a trade for SS Hanley Ramirez, who could come relatively cheap because his contract jumps out of Florida's likely comfort zone (to $11 MM, with an additional 46.5MM coming in the following 3 years) in 2011. I don't think it was an accident that the Sox signed both Beltre and Scutero with expiring contracts.
:archive:

So, while I pat myself on the back a bit, I have to ask...

When do we get Hanley under the Christmas tree? You want to talk about effing sick? That would be sick, and the Sox *can* - easily - afford that contract. I'd give up a lot for him. Ellsbury, Lars, and you could even give Iglasius because Hanley would have the position locked down. :poke::poke:

The reason the Sox are suddenly spending like drunken sailors?

To remain competitive.

Not with the Yankees.

With the Pats, Celt, and Bruins.

Falling into 4th place in local fan interest is far more damaging to the team than finishing behind the Yankees and Rays.

To remain competitive.

Not with the Yankees.

Falling into 4th place in local fan interest is far more damaging to the team than finishing behind the Yankees and Rays.

A good point.

But I think they said on the radio that though it looks like they've gone icky-balookey with the spending, they are actually right in line with where they were last year.:shrug:

They did need to make a splash though.

Who knew they'd perform the Fosbury Flop?:shrug:

And package whatever it takes to land Hanley.

NOW!

But I think they said on the radio that though it looks like they've gone icky-balookey with the spending, they are actually right in line with where they were last year.:shrug:

NOW!

They had 11 shortstops come off the books:coffee:

While I love Hanley's bat, his defense is subpar at SS. He'll be an OF when all is said and done with his career IMO. Unless he goes all Wade Boggs on us and successfully adds defense to his game.

While I love Hanley's bat, his defense is subpar at SS. He'll be an OF when all is said and done with his career IMO. Unless he goes all Wade Boggs on us and successfully adds defense to his game.

yup. you need a glove at SS...I don't care how good the bat is.

fine it hurts and takes a while to heal but this man is complaining it still hurts him....yup, it was rteported during some live from the meetings spot that he still compains about his ribs...

To remain competitive.

Not with the Yankees.

exactly plus the books are not longer held back to buy the Soccer team

Hanley needs to accept the Robin Yount career path to OF

Fine.

Then include Jacoby with the deal and put him in CF.

Especially if the clubhouse is as upset with him as reports indicate.

Back