Super Bowl LII - Patriots (-5.5) vs. Philadelphia

Here is a long post on Foles from someone who knows his career very well.

He missed the preseason with a sore arm and backups don't get much time with the 1s or weekly game plans, so he had a lot of catching up to do. Alshon this is Nick. Nick, this is Alshon. It took them a few weeks until they put back the whole playbook. The Raiders game was on Christmas night and it was cold as hell with gusting winds. I am from Philly and I called a bunch of people back home because Christmas and no one wanted to go outside, it was that bad. He outplayed Carr in the same conditions.

They then got 3 weeks to get him up to speed. The Dallas game was an exhibition so who cares? The Atlanta game was one of those half the game is throwing into bad wind games. Brady is the best in the world at those, but most other QBs struggle. Foles wound up with 70+% completions even in that awful weather. Matt Ryan had an 18 yard TD drive off a muffed punt (great play on the TD for sure) and scored 3 the rest of the day for comparison. There is a funny looking PI play that was a duck full into the wind, but it was zero risk as the corner and the safety were on full sprint catch up and never saw the ball. Ryan threw a much prettier deep pass into the wind later, but it went into the hands of a waiting Eagle (the WR knocked it away)

The NFCCG was the first game he started that was not at freezing and/or windy. He actually launched the ball for 2 passes at about 65-70 yards on the first drive. The first one was dropped and the second one Burton jumped in the air for no reason and got 1 foot out of bounds. You know what happened on the other 31 passes.

Foles was a fantastic QB in 2013. He walked off the field in the playoffs with a lead over Drew Brees even though Riley Cooper dropped a perfect pass that he could have taken for 25-65 yards. The Saints got a Sproles return and a horsecollar and then pushed the Eagles backwards for 5 minutes to kick a 0:00 FG to win.

The 2014 season was like your 2002. Kelly dumped DeSean Jackson and the line started out hurt and in a funk. Its hard for people to get over the fake news on 2014 because the media has it in for Foles but a perfect example of how bad that line was would be Shady McCoy.

He was averaging 3 yards a carry with 1 TD after 5 games behind that line. Foles won a shootout vs DC that year where Shady went 19 carries for 22 yards. The Jacksonville game in week 1 set the tone. Foles got destroyed for 5 sacks and 3 fumbles in that first half. He went into the locker room down 17-0 and came out with a different plan. He started running for his life by design because the line was so shakey. They came back to win 34-17. He had been sacked 5 times with 3 fumbles in the first half. He was only sacked 4 more times through week 8 when Mercilus broke his collarbone. He only fumbled 1 more time in those 7 games. He went 6-2 behind a shakey line and the trolls just want to say 13 TDs to 10 picks sucks. Foles was pretty awful in the game at SF. The summary on the Foles season by talk radio clowns was that he had happy feet in the pocket.

Buttfumbler took over for the next 8 games. He went 4-4 and got sacked 23 times with 7 fumbles. Lunatics formed a Sanchez cult because his rating was 7 points higher.

Kelly decided to trade Foles, a 2nd, a 4th, and 10+ million in cap space for Sam Bradford on the last bad rookie deal and a 5th. He also dumped McCoy for Kiko Alonso and got rid of Evan Mathis too. For some reason this insanity means that Foles must be bad.

After St Louis, Foles has played on KC and Philly and has 11 TDs to 1 pick in games that are real. His rating was about 101 in '13-'14 and its about 99 in '16-'17. He has won every real game he started or played long relief in 2-0 in KC, and 4-0 in Philly.

You can pretend he is not as dangerous as Matt Ryan if you like, but don't pretend you were not warned. Every pass of his career is on GamePass if you want to see for yourself.

This may be the funniest shit I've read in a year. Nick Foles is trash.

This comical post got me thinking, though. Ranking of the 7 QBs we've played in the SB:

1. Warner XXXVI
2. Ryan LI
3. Wilson XLIX
4. Manning XLII; XLVI
5. McNabb XXXIX
6. Delhomme XXXVIII
7. Foles LII

This may be the funniest shit I've read in a year. Nick Foles is trash.

This comical post got me thinking, though. Ranking of the 7 QBs we've played in the SB:

1. Warner XXXVI
2. Ryan LI
3. Wilson XLIX
4. Manning XLII; XLVI
5. McNabb XXXIX
6. Delhomme XXXVIII
7. Foles LII

I’m surprised you have Delhomme that far down MD.

For that 1 game he was a baller. That thing was a pure street fight.

I just want to point out another contrast:

Eagles fly in yesterday. No practice due to travel day, and spend the whole day in Minnesota "soaking it in". No practice today either, and then media night tonight. More than 24 hours of stewing in the Super Bowl atmosphere and 2 days of practice lost.

Patriots fly in today. Ceremonies in the morning, media night at night, travel in between, and then back to work tomorrow. One day of practice lost for the whole shebang and absolutely zero time for players to "stew in it", just a whirlwind of events then back to work in the morning.

Belichick is truly a master of details.

I'm very happy that McCoy and Jackson no longer play for the Eagles. They would be devastating if they still had them.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

So now Foles is as good as Matt Ryan?? :huh::with:

Yeah...somehow...in a QB-starved league, Nick Foles is a career backup. Oh, I forget...he went a 10 game stretch in '13 where he only threw 2 pics vs. 27 TDs.

...silly me, NOW I get it...:shrug_n:

I'd encourage you to go back and watch that game. Jake had a couple nice throws, but that was mostly the WRs just dominating NE's secondary.

Beyond that, his proved to be a steaming pile of shit throughout the rest of his career, which I think is what Dave is really getting at. When you look at the QBs, the only question about Delhomme is whether he's the worst or merely second worst.

Yeah but then you get into the same stuff as the poster did to make Foles "the greatest!" If the guy didn't drop the ball, if it wasn't chilly, but it was windy, his running back had a cramp, practice we taking about practice.....if it wasn't for that Foles is in the Canton!

Good for Delhomme for having a great game on the big stage, but in the end as a QB he's as "elite" as Flacco.... :coffee:

From Chris Price, Boston Sports Journal

Philadelphia QB Nick Foles struggled under pressure right until the NFC Championship Game. Foles had a passer rating of just 23.8 under pressure in the regular season, which was the worst figure in the NFL by a significant margin. The Philadelphia signal caller completed just 13 of his 34 attempts for 117 yards and no touchdowns under pressure in the regular season while he also threw two interceptions on these plays. However, against the Vikings, Foles completed 7 of his 10 attempts for 139 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions under pressure. As a result, he had a passer rating of 152.1 on these plays, which was by far the best among the four quarterbacks on Championship Weekend.
The Eagles relied heavily on run/pass option plays (RPOs) all season as they led the league with 181 RPO plays in the regular season while the NFL average was just 63 plays. However, while the team averaged 4.9 yards per RPO plays with Carson Wentz, the Eagles averaged just 3.7 yards per RPO plays with Foles under center in the regular season.
Running backs have been the weakest link in the Eagles’ pass protection this season. Philadelphia’s running backs allowed a pressure on 19 percent of their pass blocking plays, which was the second highest rate in the NFL. Corey Clement, LeGarrette Blount, Jay Ajayi and Wendell Smallwood combined to surrender 16 total pressures on 97 plays.
Philadelphia wide receiver Nelson Agholor had a breakout season and established himself as one of the best slot receivers in the game in 2017. Agholor led the league with eight receiving touchdowns from the slot and ranked third with 752 receiving yards from the slot in the regular season.
Wide receiver Alshon Jeffery did not have an easy job of catching footballs in 2017. Jeffery saw the lowest rate of catchable targets among all wide receivers in the NFL as only 53.1 percent of passes going his way were catchable. Furthermore, 42 percent of Jeffery’s targets were contested where he had to fight through contact at the catch point, which was the highest rate in the league in the regular season.
Philadelphia’s offensive line have been among the best all season, although they faced a drop-off after the injury of left tackle Jason Peters. While the unit allowed one pressure on every 5.1 snaps between Week 1 and Week 7 (3rd in the NFL), they surrendered one pressure on every 3.6 snaps after Peters’ injury (21st in the NFL). However, the Eagles offensive line is the only unit besides Pittsburgh’s offensive line to not allow a sack in the entire postseason so far.
Eagles defensive stats
The Eagles have been the best team in the NFL in getting after the quarterback as they generated pressure on 41 percent of pass plays in the regular season, which was the best rate in the NFL. Furthermore, bringing pressure with just four pass rushers has been one of the main strengths of the Eagles defense this season. Philadelphia generated pressure on 38.0 percent of the plays when they did not blitz, which was the highest rate in the NFL over the regular season.
The Eagles defense has been especially stout on third downs. Opposing offenses converted third downs for first downs or touchdowns only at a 31 percent rate, which was the second lowest in the NFL in the regular season. Furthermore, Philadelphia’s defense recorded nine interceptions on third downs, which was the second most in the league.
Philadelphia’s defensive line has been very balanced all season without any weak links. This is also due to edge defender Vinny Curry’s breakout season. Curry recorded 17 quarterback hits in the regular season, which was the third most among edge defenders in the league. In addition, he recorded a sack or a hit on 6.0 percent of his pass rushing plays, which was the 14th best rate among edge defenders in the NFL.
Although the Eagles defense blitzed on just 23 percent of pass plays (10th lowest rate in the NFL), when they did they preferred to bring heavy blitzes. Philadelphia’s defense sent 6 or more pass rushers after opposing quarterbacks 65 times in the regular season, which was tied for the most in the NFL.
The Eagles’ success on defense was largely due to the terrific play of veteran Patrick Robinson in the slot. Robinson allowed a passer rating of just 65.2 in the slot, which was the third best in the NFL. However, he was even better on third downs as opposing quarterbacks had a passer rating of just 32.2 when targeting him in the slot on third downs, which was the lowest in the entire NFL.
While Malcolm Jenkins is listed as a safety, he plays a similar role for the Eagles as Patrick Chung does for the Patriots. Jenkins lined up at safety on just 24 percent of his plays, while he spent 42 percent of his time at linebacker and 30 percent of his snaps came at slot cornerback. In addition, he also played as a cornerback on some plays as he lined up wide on 4 percent of his plays.
https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2018/01/29/know-opponent-eagles-offense-defensive-totals-pff/

Most RPOs run in the regular season: Eagles (181)
Fewest RPOs faced in the regular season: Patriots (39)
I think there might be a theme to Patriots practices this week.

I'd encourage you to go back and watch that game. Jake had a couple nice throws, but that was mostly the WRs just dominating NE's secondary.

Beyond that, his proved to be a steaming pile of shit throughout the rest of his career, which I think is what Dave is really getting at. When you look at the QBs, the only question about Delhomme is whether he's the worst or merely second worst.

Yeah but then you get into the same stuff as the poster did to make Foles "the greatest!" If the guy didn't drop the ball, if it wasn't chilly, but it was windy, his running back had a cramp, practice we taking about practice.....if it wasn't for that Foles is in the Canton!

Good for Delhomme for having a great game on the big stage, but in the end as a QB he's as "elite" as Flacco.... :coffee:

Oh, my bad.

I thought we were talking just QB that day, not the full body of their work.

Greg A. Bedard

I may be crazy, but I think the Patriots will be comfortable in this game.

I have a hard time seeing the coverage matching up the rush and I see areas that the Patriots can exploit. I do think this Schwartz scheme is really good against mediocre QBs but can struggle against the better QBs and OCs.

I like Flowers to go nuts on LT Vaitai. Flowers is so good right now.

Hi Greg,
It seems like if there is any weakness to McDaniels’ play calling early in games is that it takes a bit to get going, but his real strength is game planning on the fly, adjusting to what defenses show. This game seems like a really good opportunity come out fast with up-tempo on the Eagles defense and put them on their heels early.
Do you see this happening or do you see NE sticking to the script and putting more pressure on their defense to keep the game close while the offense figures things out?

Greg A. Bedard

More of the same.

UGH

I think the Patriots can exploit with their RBs a little bit. I don’t think Philly is as fast as the Jaguars, and that had a big impact in the game. Suddenly Lewis and White couldn’t just outrun people. I think they’ll be more effective in this one.

If the Eagles give the Patriots receivers a wide buffer like they did the Vikings early, the Patriots will just take the easy money and get the ball out in 1.25 seconds.

I get what Mike [Lombardi] is saying [about the Eagles being a bad matchup for the Pats], but I don’t see it so far. If Sproles were healthy, maybe, but I don’t think their backs are quick enough. and I think the Eagles defense is overrated.

Foles had the game of his life last weekend. I kinda doubt that he will play that way in the superbowl.

It wouldn't shock me that the Eagles are up ahead right until the end of the 4th qtr though...it's been the trend for a while now (for the most part).

Minny has no love for the Eagles ROFL

DUuXvQRWsAMygIM.jpg

DUvBd-oXkAIe40Q.jpg

Giants fans are on the Pats side as well.

That's not the worst thing in the world in my book. Belichick has a ton of respect for the organization, there's mutual ridicule (they beat the Pats twice, whereas Eli is pathetic), and at least a modicum of mutual respect (they beat the Pats twice, and that's their biggest claim to fame, so they're not in the Pats Bashing business most days). There are worse organizations to have cheering for the Pats than the Giants, that's all I'm saying.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Also, lol at Brian Hoyer for wearing the black tape on his hand yesterday in solidarity with Brady. "We always wear that tape, what are you talking about?" <a href="https://t.co/3i0Yc5JHRd">pic.twitter.com/3i0Yc5JHRd</a></p>— Ben Volin (@BenVolin) <a href="https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/957975618330570753?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 29, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Giants fans are on the Pats side as well.

That's not the worst thing in the world in my book. Belichick has a ton of respect for the organization, there's mutual ridicule (they beat the Pats twice, whereas Eli is pathetic), and at least a modicum of mutual respect (they beat the Pats twice, and that's their biggest claim to fame, so they're not in the Pats Bashing business most days). There are worse organizations to have cheering for the Pats than the Giants, that's all I'm saying.

Personally, I like that. Good to know

Mother Nature is on the Pats' side too, as evidenced by the scene over Philadelphia late yesterday.

DUvGeSUWsAA4-Nw.jpg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pulling in ... <a href="https://t.co/Ubkvm9SeYl">pic.twitter.com/Ubkvm9SeYl</a></p>— Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/958065484460642305?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 29, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How many times do we have to hear " The (insert name here) defense is built to stop the Patriots", I don't know how many times I've heard this coming from supposed NFL experts .

You would think that this morons would learn their lesson by now. Everyone knows that TFB, BB, JM and MP will eventually figure you out, it's only a matter of time.

How many times do we have to hear " The (insert name here) defense is built to stop the Patriots", I don't know how many times I've heard this coming from supposed NFL experts .

You would think that this morons would learn their lesson by now. Everyone knows that TFB, BB, JM and MP will eventually figure you out, it's only a matter of time.

OMG this....it seems the last 3 teams we have played are built to beat the Patriots. My favorite is, I never hear, this is how the Pats will beat this team, its always, what this team will do in order to beat the pats. Pats don't do well with this this and this...How does this team ever win a game.

Back