The 2024 Draft

I think Maye can be a top 6 or 7 QB in the league, so I’m pretty happy they drafted him. It was never going to be possible to fix the offense in one year. Let Maye learn behind Brissett, and address a WR 1 next year.
we got a lot of pics ahead of us though to address offense as well this year.

Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame

Patriots offensive line coach Scott Peters worked with Fisher at Notre Dame’s pro day and seemed to build a relationship with him there. Fisher actually beat out Joe Alt for the Irish’s starting left tackle job as a freshman, but he got hurt in the first game and had to move to right tackle after Alt proved to be a stud on the left side. Fisher is still very young (he’s 21 and likely to be the youngest offensive tackle drafted) and might need to sit and learn a bit as a rookie.

I think that I would go with Kingsley with the next pick. If someone in the Patriots office thinks that the OL is resolved, he needs a whole team of psychiatrist.

We should take an OG with some center experience later.

I think Maye can be a top 6 or 7 QB in the league, so I’m pretty happy they drafted him. It was never going to be possible to fix the offense in one year. Let Maye learn behind Brissett, and address a WR 1 next year.
They whiffed on two deep positions of desperate need and you are happy about it?

Completely disagree. 6 QBs, 7 WRs, 8 OTs went in the first round. You got one of those.

Patriots have glaring needs at QB, WR and OT. There's not anything worthwhile left, unless you want to overdraft a Ladd McConkey or something.

I go back to free agency. This team was 4-13 last year, and has holes and needs, and none of them are being filled, except the raw QB. But Kraft got his QB, so everything will be fine now, since everything was Belichick's fault anyway.

I would have liked to see the Pats move up to grab Xavier Worthy. I think he's going to be a star real soon and look who did move up to grab him...Andy Reid. He knows.
Worthy would have added a speed dimension to our WR corps we haven't seen since Moss.

Since we stayed put maybe Wolf & Co. will play it safe and trade back to get an OT. Truth is, we don't know what to expect from this new group. As fans, we're learning the new m.o.

Ladd McConkey at 34 wouldn't be a reach to me at all. He's faster than generally recognized, he's tough as nails and he has great hands. My comp is Steve Smith Sr. Not a bad comp.

Last edited:
I would have liked to see the Pats move up to grab Xavier Worthy. I think he's going to be a star real soon and look who did move up to grab him...Andy Reid. He knows.
Worthy would have added a speed dimension to our WR corps we haven't seen since Moss.

Since we stayed put maybe Wolf & Co. will play it safe and trade back to get an OT. Truth is, we don't know what to expect from this new group. As fans, we're learning the new m.o.

Ladd McConkey at 34 wouldn't be a reach to me at all. He's faster than generally recognized, he's tough as nails and he has great hands. My comp is Steve Smith Sr. Not a bad comp.
Eliot has said they want to trade down for more draft picks. I get the feeling they want a lot of new blood/ new attitude.

Mayo said near the end of round one to stick around for the draft party because they might move up.

I'm figuring that it will be the Eliot plan.

Eliot has said they want to trade down for more draft picks. I get the feeling they want a lot of new blood/ new attitude.

Mayo said near the end of round one to stick around for the draft party because they might move up.

I agree.

I hope that's the last time we see Mayo usurping Wolf's job on the podium. I mean, Wolf has been at this for 18-20 years starting under his dad. He has earned this honor.
Mayo is a rookie HC who, imo, had no business speaking for Wolf after the draft about Maye being the choice. I'd rather have seen Wolf up there alone but if Jonathan
wanted someone up there for backup, I'd rather have seen AVP up there with Wolf. At least AVP could speak on the player with an expert background.
It didn't feel right to me.

Former NFL player Merril Hoge not impressed by Drake Maye: 'He's marginal at best'
Maye is expected to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft
By Chantz Martin Fox News
Published April 25, 2024 2:15pm EDT

Former Pittsburgh Steelers star Merril Hoge directed some sharply pointed criticism toward NFL Draft prospect Drake Maye.

While Maye is widely projected to hear his name called at some point during the first ten picks Thursday night, Hoge is not sold on the quarterback's ability to play at a high level once he reaches the NFL.

"He’s marginal at best," Hoge said during a recent appearance on New England sports radio station WEEI.

Hoge pointed to Maye's inconsistent play during his time at North Carolina, suggesting it could be one of the reasons the quarterback will not excel in the NFL.

"Inconsistency alone, the inconsistency in throwing the football and processing, that’s just some of the problems," Hoge added. "There’s a whole litany of things you have to correct."

The New England Patriots hold the third overall pick in this year's draft, and Maye has been linked to the team.

Earlier this month, Sports Illustrated reported that the Patriots hosted Maye for a pre-draft visit. The team also met with Maye at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis and sent representatives to his pro day in Chapel Hill.

Hoge also asserted his belief that while certain aspects of a player's game can be improved at the NFL level, coaches will not be able to transform Maye into a more consistent and more accurate passer.

"You can dial it in a little bit," Hoge said. "But if you’re not an accurate passer, you’re an inconsistent passer — that is going to be magnified in the National Football League."

Hoge also strongly disagreed with the comparisons some have drawn between Maye and two-time Pro Bowl quarterback Josh Allen.

"He is not even close to Josh Allen," Hoge said. "I see nothing about Josh Allen. … There’s nothing, like nothing, but that’s what people are going to expect."

This is not the first time Hoge has criticized Maye. Earlier this month, he issued a stern warning to any front office contemplating using a top pick on the former Tar Heels signal-caller.

"Drake Maye is the kind of player that will get you fired," Hoge told WCCO radio. "Especially if you draft him in the top five or top three. He’s going to get you fired."

Ladd McConkey at 34 wouldn't be a reach to me at all. He's faster than generally recognized, he's tough as nails and he has great hands.
My comp is Steve Smith Sr. Not a bad comp.
He also wasn't super productive on a juggernaut team without another WR. 30 catches and 2 touchdowns? Juju can do that.

There are no more worthwhile OTs in the draft - anyone that could have been a starter is long gone, same for WRs (assuming the Bills take Adonai Mitchell with their pick today, and I would be actually stunned if they didn't). You could have traded back into the first to get either one, and you didn't, and you saw the run happening, and you didn't. Right now this is the standing pat strategy they took during Free Agency. If you'd like to excuse that for them, that's fine, but I'm not about to.

To me the obvious pick is McKinistry, he's a top 15 player in any other draft, and locking that 2nd CB spot down for 4 years seems like a no-brainer. There's no difference, to me, now, in the WRs and OTs from Round 2 to Round 6, so why take a guy just to take a guy?

Former NFL player Merril Hoge not impressed by Drake Maye: 'He's marginal at best'
Maye is expected to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft
By Chantz Martin Fox News
Published April 25, 2024 2:15pm EDT

Former Pittsburgh Steelers star Merril Hoge directed some sharply pointed criticism toward NFL Draft prospect Drake Maye.

While Maye is widely projected to hear his name called at some point during the first ten picks Thursday night, Hoge is not sold on the quarterback's ability to play at a high level once he reaches the NFL.

"He’s marginal at best," Hoge said during a recent appearance on New England sports radio station WEEI.

Hoge pointed to Maye's inconsistent play during his time at North Carolina, suggesting it could be one of the reasons the quarterback will not excel in the NFL.

"Inconsistency alone, the inconsistency in throwing the football and processing, that’s just some of the problems," Hoge added. "There’s a whole litany of things you have to correct."

The New England Patriots hold the third overall pick in this year's draft, and Maye has been linked to the team.

Earlier this month, Sports Illustrated reported that the Patriots hosted Maye for a pre-draft visit. The team also met with Maye at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis and sent representatives to his pro day in Chapel Hill.

Hoge also asserted his belief that while certain aspects of a player's game can be improved at the NFL level, coaches will not be able to transform Maye into a more consistent and more accurate passer.

"You can dial it in a little bit," Hoge said. "But if you’re not an accurate passer, you’re an inconsistent passer — that is going to be magnified in the National Football League."

Hoge also strongly disagreed with the comparisons some have drawn between Maye and two-time Pro Bowl quarterback Josh Allen.

"He is not even close to Josh Allen," Hoge said. "I see nothing about Josh Allen. … There’s nothing, like nothing, but that’s what people are going to expect."

This is not the first time Hoge has criticized Maye. Earlier this month, he issued a stern warning to any front office contemplating using a top pick on the former Tar Heels signal-caller.

"Drake Maye is the kind of player that will get you fired," Hoge told WCCO radio. "Especially if you draft him in the top five or top three. He’s going to get you fired."
He’s tall. He has a strong arm. He’s tall. He has a strong arm…

All kidding aside, letting him sit and develop is the best thing the Pats could do for Maye.

He also wasn't super productive on a juggernaut team without another WR. 30 catches and 2 touchdowns? Juju can do that.

There are no more worthwhile OTs in the draft - anyone that could have been a starter is long gone, same for WRs (assuming the Bills take Adonai Mitchell with their pick today, and I would be actually stunned if they didn't). You could have traded back into the first to get either one, and you didn't, and you saw the run happening, and you didn't. Right now this is the standing pat strategy they took during Free Agency. If you'd like to excuse that for them, that's fine, but I'm not about to.

To me the obvious pick is McKinistry, he's a top 15 player in any other draft, and locking that 2nd CB spot down for 4 years seems like a no-brainer. There's no difference, to me, now, in the WRs and OTs from Round 2 to Round 6, so why take a guy just to take a guy?
Yeah, there was such a run on offense in the 1st round that picking a CB makes some sense, (rather than reaching for third round talent at the top of the second round).

Of course, we don’t really know how the 32 teams have ranked this draft, as the talking heads were mostly wrong about when the last 3 QBs would go, among other positions.

It's slowly being leaked out how involved JK has been in this process. We knew this would happen, yet the bootlickers in the media tried everything to play that down.
OMG Curran was horrible. The other night Trenni asked Perry and Curran what is it they heard but they hope isn't true about the draft. Perry said he hopes that JK is not involved in the decision making. Curran went on a five minute rampage saying that that is totally false, that like any good owner all JK wants is to be informed about the decisions that AVP and JM are making. He went on and on. So obviously just a JK shill. First he had TFB's father as a source and now JK, and all Curran has to do is spout the party line.

catching up on the posts so will just toss my 2 cents in on a few topics

- agree that if they can get McKinistry with next pic then do it. CB may not be "the need" that OT and WR is, but that's a lucky break to have him fall to you in the 2nd and you can't have enough good/great CB's in a passing league. plus as much expectations I have for Gonzales, he - or anyone - is a hit away from being out for the season so grab it if that is what falls to you.

- wouldn't surprise me though if pats trade down for more pics.

- Could care less about Merrill Hodge's opinion. he might be right, but time will tell and agree to sit Maye behind Brissett for the year.

- Lots of talk about "the packer way" of pick a QB and sit him for a while. what would have happened to Jordan Love if he was tossed right in his rookie year? probably would have been deemed a bust, so lets see how any of these new QB's do and who starts and who sits. Penix will sit for sure (barring injury to Cousins). Would think the rest of the rd 1 qb's except Maye are likely game 1 starters.

Just to clarify, I like McConkey as a prospect. I just hate him at 34, because he's a prospect, and right now, I don't know that he's better than any receiver on the roster.

They desperately need talent, and not just at tackle and wide receiver. It's not 2014, you can't be blowing a premium pick like 34 on what's essentially a flyer.

Merrill Hoge........"marginal at best".....yeah, that shakes me. His footwork sucks. He can't read a D. Keep piling it on. He is inaccurate and bails out
to soon. Keep it coming. The media will treat him like Cousin Goober for the way he speaks with that Carolina drawl. The sky am falling.

I'm not worried about a fucking thing. We're going to find out that a lot of teams would have been only too happy to land a kid with his traits,
overall skill set and leadership, but they couldn't get to him. We did, so boo-hoo. He's a smart kid who is going to school just like the rest of them and
has to learn to move the chains first and then play hero. It's a tale as old as time.

Brady was too skinny and couldn't start on his College team. Matt Light had short arms. Seymour was too tall for IDL and too slow for DE. Edelman was too short and needed a complete position change. I could do this all day.

All I want is for Drake Maye to get reps over the summer and practice hard to learn our new system. Every completion or bad throw in 11 on 11s is going to be put
under an electron microscope, but I don't care. He'll throw a dozen dime lasers on a hot day in August and the media will realize that one of these things is not
like the others. The day he steps on the field for us he will be the most physically talented QB prospect that this team has ever had and they'll quickly realize that
and spread the word. Let them call for him to get the job week one, but he should absolutely sit behind Brissett while we start tunneling out of the dungeon one
spoonful at a time. He'll be the starter when he is ready to be the starter and we should not be in a rush for that or to pass premature judgement based on what
some other guy or some other team did. You start at square one and then just keep adding them and Brady taught us that process never stops.

. .

Back