The 2024 Draft

People can always be taught. Athletes are no different, they can always be coached up. Maye will need work as we said for months, but it can be done. It will take time and the fans will have to be patient IMHO. We have a QB, let's see what happens next.

People can always be taught. Athletes are no different, they can always be coached up. Maye will need work as we said for months, but it can be done. It will take time and the fans will have to be patient IMHO. We have a QB, let's see what happens next.

Bingo, and the aren't that dire on offense imo. Mac was just THAT BAD last year. Wide open guys, NFL open at least and he just MISSED them. Change 5 throws per game and this team is 8-8 imo with that defense. Shit, the schedule is super hard this year they might only win 5 games, but thats with Brisset at the helm too.

and I'm hoping he sits for a while and Brissett takes the lead. it woudl be great if Maye is the real deal and is starting by mid season, but no need to rush it. not like we are going anywhere this season, just want to see improvements

He also wasn't super productive on a juggernaut team without another WR. 30 catches and 2 touchdowns? Juju can do that.

There are no more worthwhile OTs in the draft - anyone that could have been a starter is long gone, same for WRs (assuming the Bills take Adonai Mitchell with their pick today, and I would be actually stunned if they didn't). You could have traded back into the first to get either one, and you didn't, and you saw the run happening, and you didn't. Right now this is the standing pat strategy they took during Free Agency. If you'd like to excuse that for them, that's fine, but I'm not about to.

To me the obvious pick is McKinistry, he's a top 15 player in any other draft, and locking that 2nd CB spot down for 4 years seems like a no-brainer. There's no difference, to me, now, in the WRs and OTs from Round 2 to Round 6, so why take a guy just to take a guy?

CBs are there if they want 1.
WRs I'm looking at not necessarily with 34 but with a trade back to mid 2nd round: Jermaine Burton, Ladd McConkey, Troy Franklin, Ainias Smith, Brendan Rice and Javon Baker.

To me, Legette taken by the Panthers at 32 fits between Smith and Rice on that list above. Burton, McC, Franklin and Smith are all better than Legette to me.

Btw, I'm still fuming that the Chiefs and Andy Reid took Xavier Worthy. He's the guy I wanted for the Pats at 34.

Eliot has said they want to trade down for more draft picks. I get the feeling they want a lot of new blood/ new attitude.

Mayo said near the end of round one to stick around for the draft party because they might move up.

I'm figuring that it will be the Eliot plan.
Trade down but up? 🥴

For those that didn’t see this is a great behind the scenes story about Moss coming to the Pats. And while I’m at it the reverence that you know real NFL people showed BB last night was really something. Everyone & I mean everyone knows he is the one & only GOAT

View: https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1783707943965254142

Merrill Hoge........"marginal at best".....yeah, that shakes me. His footwork sucks. He can't read a D. Keep piling it on. He is inaccurate and bails out
to soon. Keep it coming. The media will treat him like Cousin Goober for the way he speaks with that Carolina drawl. The sky am falling.

I'm not worried about a fucking thing. We're going to find out that a lot of teams would have been only too happy to land a kid with his traits,
overall skill set and leadership, but they couldn't get to him. We did, so boo-hoo. He's a smart kid who is going to school just like the rest of them and
has to learn to move the chains first and then play hero. It's a tale as old as time.

Brady was too skinny and couldn't start on his College team. Matt Light had short arms. Seymour was too tall for IDL and too slow for DE. Edelman was too short and needed a complete position change. I could do this all day.

All I want is for Drake Maye to get reps over the summer and practice hard to learn our new system. Every completion or bad throw in 11 on 11s is going to be put
under an electron microscope, but I don't care. He'll throw a dozen dime lasers on a hot day in August and the media will realize that one of these things is not
like the others. The day he steps on the field for us he will be the most physically talented QB prospect that this team has ever had and they'll quickly realize that
and spread the word. Let them call for him to get the job week one, but he should absolutely sit behind Brissett while we start tunneling out of the dungeon one
spoonful at a time. He'll be the starter when he is ready to be the starter and we should not be in a rush for that or to pass premature judgement based on what
some other guy or some other team did. You start at square one and then just keep adding them and Brady taught us that process never stops.

. .
I liked the way spoke during his brief interview. Was psyched to be a Patriot. I liked his fire.

WRs I'm looking at not necessarily with 34 but with a trade back to mid 2nd round: Jermaine Burton, Ladd McConkey, Troy Franklin, Ainias Smith, Brendan Rice and Javon Baker.

To me, Legette taken by the Panthers at 32 fits between Smith and Rice on that list above. Burton, McC, Franklin and Smith are all better than Legette to me.

Btw, I'm still fuming that the Chiefs and Andy Reid took Xavier Worthy. He's the guy I wanted for the Pats at 34.
Chiefs understand that today's game is about speed, speed, speed. The Pats will get the guys they need. Patience grasshopper.

Bingo, and the aren't that dire on offense imo. Mac was just THAT BAD last year. Wide open guys, NFL open at least and he just MISSED them. Change 5 throws per game and this team is 8-8 imo with that defense. Shit, the schedule is super hard this year they might only win 5 games, but thats with Brisset at the helm too.

You can only hope.

big thing to me is he's not proven in bad weather and i don't think anyone in this class had that.

I don't think there was any chance of Worthy dropping to 34, and they certainly could have traded back into the first with little capital to get him.

If it's Rice, there's no need to stick at 34 unless you're getting one of the defensive first round talent still on the board, and you can trade out.

My fear is that they're going to take a receiver just to take one, then take a tackle just to take one, despite the talent pool having been drained in historic fashion. I fear the front office got caught with their pants down.

So, if you're still targeting needs, you trade out of 34, absolutely. To me, BPA is a no-brainer, and McKinistry, like I said, locks up this secondary for the next half-decade. This defense will start to age out after next year, so at least with that, you can hang onto something on that side of the ball. I fear the defense will inevitably take a step back, without Steve Belichick there, but it's possible they don't.

I don't expect them to contend next year, but this process could have been made a lot easier. Either they really think Drake Maye is the guy, or they're operating under the directive of Jonathan, who's thinking about his 2024 fantasy team. You could have traded out of 3, gotten a top-level WR, a 2nd level OT, an an additional 1st round pick next year at worst, and taken Quinn Ewers or Cam Ward next year. People who've been saying 'the QB class next year sucks' are just wrong. 6 QBs won't go in the top 12, but 3 will go in the top 25, and I expect there to be the same success rate as this year's class.

I agree with this, but the one major knock I have on Maye, is that he's hesitant to pull the trigger unless guys are super-open. Belichick's breakdown of him last night showed the same stuff I saw. Guys were NFL open, and he held onto the ball. Will he trust his eyes and arm at the next level, or is he going to hang onto the ball too long - the kiss of death of first round bust QBs.

For those that didn’t see this is a great behind the scenes story about Moss coming to the Pats. And while I’m at it the reverence that you know real NFL people showed BB last night was really something. Everyone & I mean everyone knows he is the one & only GOAT

View: https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1783707943965254142

Not only did I learn a lot about football generally last night, and moreover the intricacies of scouting and the draft - Belichick booked a good portion of that show just from people he knows.

I better hear the name of Kingsley Saumataia or even Patrick Paul at #34 or I'll be pissed.
EDIT: I TAKE THIS BACK. I WOULD TAKE KOOL AID, THEN TEADE UP LATER FOR ONE OF THE OT'S.

Last edited:
Back