"The IG IG/Jerry Thornton Thread"

Mike Vrabel Retires

Mike Vrabel Retires

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/mike-vrabel-retires/

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eCMdiI3z5NE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It’s always bittersweet watching one of the guys who laid the groundwork of the Patriots era of dominance retire. It must be what it felt like watching the Founding Fathers go back to their plantations and let the next generation take over making America great. All you can do it look back fondly and wish the old guard well and appreciate all that they did. And save for probably Brady, Mike Vrabel was the quintessential Bill Belichick Patriot. The model for all that he’s done in this century. (Note: I’d say Troy Brown except he was here when Belichick arrived). Sure, Brady has the best origin story, what with being drafted 199th and born under a star in a manger and all. But Vrabel’s humble beginning personifies how this dynasty was built.

He was the 91st pick by Pittsburgh in 1997 and played four non-descript seasons there. He had zero starts, 36 total tackles (27 solo) and 7 sacks. His only memorable play was a forced fumble on Drew Bledoe to seal a 7-6 win playoff win in his rookie season. Even in Dick Lebeau’s deliriously blitzy scheme, Vrabel didn’t have much impact. So when he was heading out the door to free agency, the Steelers management wasn’t exactly clutching his ankle and pleading with him to stay. In fact, only one guy saw the potential in him. And one minute after midnight when the free agency period began, Belchick was on the phone. He cited chapter and verse of obscure plays Vrabel was involved in, identified reads and adjustments he’d made that no one else had noticed, and the rest, as they say, was history. Vrabel signed and a legend was born.

Vrabel turned out to be the best purely free agent signing of the Belichick Epoch. He came relatively cheap but he produced in a way no one could’ve imagined. And still, every year people clamor for the Pats to blow tons of cap space on “that speed guy on the outside… that edge rusher who can apply pressure and get after the quarterback blah, blah, blah.” Some Julius Peppers one trick pony type. And miss the point entirely that what they need is a Mike Vrabel. A smart, tough, versatile guy. Someone who can drop into coverage, take on a blocker and turn a running play to the inside, play contain, cover the flat, move inside to Mike and, when called upon, to pass rush. Vrabel did all of those things. And was the most versatile player in the league. That was where his value was. Not being some Johnny One Note. Everyone falls in love with sack totals, but the biggest play of his career didn’t show up in the box score. In Super Bowl XXXVI, he created Ty Law’s pick-6. It was the first time all game the Pats rushed more than 4 guys and just prior to the snap, Vrabel put his hand on the ground. That move totally Munsoned the Rams’ protection call, he came in untouched into Kurt Warner’s grill mix and forced the bad throw. And I’ve gotten this far without even mentioning the plays he made at tight end. It’s football’s tiredest cliche to say a guy “is a threat to score every time he touched the ball” but in Vrabel’s case it was literally true. In his Pats career they threw to him 10 times. He had 10 catches. For 10 TDs. Let’s see someone break THAT record. (And the TWO he caught in Super Bowls were two of the great sportsgasms of our lifetimes.) Mike Vrabel’s Pats career was the perfect marriage of player and system and he should never be able to pay for his beer in New England ever again.

PS. There’s been a lot of speculation as to why the Patriots gave him up to KC for basically nothing. And one theory being floated is that while the team’s player rep, he suggested that the players deserve a piece of the Patriots Place revenue. But that sounds awfully far fetched. Mr. Kraft is too smart a businessman and too obsessed with winning to dump a productive veteran leader over one comment about splitting up the Bed, Bath & Beyond shower curtain profits. I think the fact that Vrabel is hanging it up now says that he’d just gotten old. And now that he’s walking away, he deserves our best wishes cleaning up that mess in Columbus. Godspeed, No. 50. See you at your Patriots Hall of Fame induction. @JerryThornton1

Amen to that! Vrabel was the perfect player for those perfect times.

That was a particularly nice piece by Jerry about a guy whose career in New England came to an unfortunate end, but that should not overshadow the rest of it, which was outstanding and made even better because it was the Steelers that couldn't find a way to get much out of Vrabel and they develop linebackers better than anybody in the business. It had to be embarassing for their staff to see their castoff go on to such a tremendous career.

My favorite Mike Vrabel story (from memory) was related to us in Mike Holley's book Patriot Reign. Apparently, Vrabel had a wicked sense of humor that the fans seldom saw, but prior to the 2001 Super Bowl BB was addressing the team and, as ever, reminding them to stay humble by warning them not to listen to the media who would surely be giving them "blowjobs". When finished he asked if anyone had any questions.

One hand shot up. "Uhhh, coach.....about those blowjobs?" The team fell out laughing. That was Mike. Consistently praised for his outstanding preparation and intelligence, but he also helped keep everybody loose with his wit and ability to fart at will.

That was a particularly nice piece by Jerry about a guy whose career in New England came to an unfortunate end, but that should not overshadow the rest of it, which was outstanding and made even better because it was the Steelers that couldn't find a way to get much out of Vrabel and they develop linebackers better than anybody in the business. It had to be embarassing for their staff to see their castoff go on to such a tremendous career.

My favorite Mike Vrabel story (from memory) was related to us in Mike Holley's book Patriot Reign. Apparently, Vrabel had a wicked sense of humor that the fans seldom saw, but prior to the 2001 Super Bowl BB was addressing the team and, as ever, reminding them to stay humble by warning them not to listen to the media who would surely be giving them "blowjobs". When finished he asked if anyone had any questions.

One hand shot up. "Uhhh, coach.....about those blowjobs?" The team fell out laughing. That was Mike. Consistently praised for his outstanding preparation and intelligence, but he also helped keep everybody loose with his wit and ability to fart at will.

That is my favorite Vrabel story too, and I tell it often. Undoubtedly, seeing #50 penetrate an O-line gave me chills at times, but the SB TD's were beyond thrilling...it was as if BB was rewarding Mike for doing such a good job on D, and let him score a few. Vrabel and Willie left NE rather unceremoniously, but that doesn't mean they weren't appreciated and loved here. I wish Mike the best...he'll be a great coach.

That was the best by IGIG yet. Thanks so much, and great find. Hope BB reads that one. :bow: :rockon: :toast:

This needs its own thread.

Jerry's preseason version of Knee-Jerk Reactions. And it's brilliant, as usual. And I especially enjoy how he takes his brother Jack's (Hawg's) input so seriously.

Things to consider while wishing Danny Woodhead’s “Elusiveness” rating of 100 in Madden 2012 extended to punt coverage as well:

*I try my damnedest not to reach any sort of conclusions about anything that happens in any preseason game. But so far in the 2011 Fauxball season, the Pats aren’t making it easy. In both games, on both sides of the ball, they’ve rolled over people like the Marines over the Na’vi.

*And the best develop of all, by far, is the play of the new-look front 7. And no one looks like they’re going to benefit from it more than Jerod Mayo. I already contend he’s the most underappreciated player in football because he doesn’t endorse stuff, doesn’t Tweet, doesn’t do some crazy, attention-grabbing nonsense in pregame intros like a guy having a diabetic seizure. He just plays football and when he’s not playing football, he’s doing film study. And he led the league in tackles by a margin of like 25. But the knock on him has been that his tackles aren’t impactful, game-changer types. That he sort of hangs back and picks up tackles like a work release prisoner picking up trash by the highway. Well now that he’s at the Will spot… still sporting the green dot by the way… it seems like he’s been let off the leash to shoot gaps, come around the edge and penetrate. If that IS the plan, then so far so good.

*There’s no telling how much this is a change in the Hooded One’s philosophy, an adjustment to the league adjusting to the 3-4, or if he’s just playing to the strength of his personnel, but it’s hard not to be falling in love with it so far. Especially what it does for the DEs, notably Anderson, Carter and Moore. I didn’t see a lot of the Pats sending extra bodies or running stunts or anything. Those guys were just defeating 1-on-1 blocks. The thought of seeing what they can do when (if?) Haynesworth gets in there is giving me priapism.

*The added benefit of the pressure up front was seeing the corners and star (the Pats name for the slot cover guy) playing up tight, which is a welcome change to those of us sick of watching them lining up off people like they were abiding by restraining orders. I’d love nothing more than to be halfway through the year and declaring this a “Don’t Break But Don’t Bend Either” defense like they had 2003-04.

*According to today’s Globe, if you add up pressures, hurries, sacks, TFLs and offensive penalties, the Pats defense was disruptive on 24 of Tampa’s 28 pass attempts. Schwing.

*We’ve got two more of these games, and I’m absolutely going to make up cards for a “Randy Cross Stupid Comment Bingo” game. “Let’s see, I’ve got ‘It’s about the length of a basketball, or 3/4 of football…’ I’ve got ‘Misuse of the word “literally”.’ All I need is ‘The Detroit Lions are a GREAT team…’ Ooh! I got it! Bingo! I’ve got Randy Stupidity Bingo!”

*While I hate to be a buzzkill, I’m starting to run out of hope for Darius Butler. Again, he’s probably a good kid and he’s an insane athlete, but he simply doesn’t cover well. One play he breaks up a pass, and the very next one he gives a ginormous cushion for a long 3rd down conversion, a play which has defined his career. In the 4th quarter he mistimed a jump and while he was on the way down watched helplessly as the ball went over his hands for a 30-something yard completion. I won’t give up yet, but I feel like a Democrat waiting for Obama to get his crap together.

*The last time Bret Lockett’s groin got pulled that bad he was sexting Kim Kardashian.

*I’m not one to get all caught up in seeing the starters in preseason. We know what they can do. I’d prefer to see the new faces before they’re all put on the taxi squad or ride the bench. Still it’s hard to argue against seeing that kind of output from the first unit. And as far as I can tell, this was some pretty basic stuff. Barely doing 4th grade long division where by now they’re usually up to freshman calculus at least. Mostly 1-back sets. What they call 1-Out Slot or 0-Out Slot alignments. Very little in the way of empty sets, 3x1s or bunch formations. And only a few guys in motion as I can recall. It might not be pure vanilla but it’s not much more than vanilla with rainbow jimmies.

*My brother Jack called halfway through the 1st and pretty much drew up the charter for the Will Yeatman Fan Club. All I knew coming into the game is he’s Belichick project; a lacrosse player from Maryland and big specimen. But I came away from this one thinking he might be the answer to the biggest riddle of camp thus far: Why did they let Alge Crumpler go? Yeatman looks quick, seems like he can pull, threw some great blocks including a trap block out of the H-back spot that got Stevan Ridley (I think) down to the 1. He’ll be someone to keep an eye on.

*One of the great parts of these games is watching how Zolak deals with Randy Cross’ stupid mistakes. Like when Cross goes on through 3 replays saying Myron Pryor drew a holding call when we can all see it was Andre Carter, Zo pipes in with “Pryor was great on the play. And there you see Carter draw the penalty…” They must have meetings ahead of time where they go over how to correct Randy like he’s a SPED kid.

*Another guy Jack was talking up was OG Thomas Austin. Though to be honest, nothing he did jumped off the TV screen at me. In case he does make it, I’ll start preparing as many Stone Cold references as I can.

*As ridiculously efficient as the 1st offense was, my favorite play didn’t even count. Inside the Bucs’ 10, they ran an overloaded line with Gronk, Yeatman and Hernandez left. They then had Solder pull and ran a counter/ jab play. Kate Middleton didn’t have as wide an aisle to walk down as Green-Ellis did, going in untouched. It was called back for a hold, but it’s something else for opposing DCs to think about.

*Solder showed the first signs of his lack of upper body strength costing him, giving up a sack on an inside bull rush. No huge surprise there as it was assumed he’d have to bulk up at this level.

*Adrian Clayborn was my Pats pre-draft binkie, so I like the guy. But there is nothing in the NFL so cheap as a team painting “Clayborn’s Corner” or whatever the sign said on the end zone wall before he’s ever played a snap in the league. That kind of thing has to be organic, made by fans on bedsheets because they like the guy. Crap like that makes the 16-0 banner look like the Stanley Cup.

*Ryan Mallett threw a pick-6 on one of those pure dumb rookie throws you can always count on a new guy making. Tampa was in quarters coverage, everyone playing deep. Jeremy Ross (I think) broke off his route and sat under the zone, but Mallett read it like it was Middle of the Field Open (MOFO) and threw a post. Fortunately that won’t be our problem for at least another 10 years. I’m right about that, right? 10 years?

*No knock on the guy because he’s impossible not to root for, but I’m guessing no booster from Brown ever gave Buddy Farnham a check for $50,000.

*Quote of the Day, also from the Globe: “Belichick is through screwing around,’’ said the NFC executive. “What we saw tonight, if that’s the way they continue to go into the season, is a complete departure from what we saw last season. They’re not reacting. They’re dictating.’’

Now if you’ll pardon me, that quote and I are going to stroke each other’s hair while we cuddle. @JerryThornton1

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/ramblings-from-pats-preseason-game-no-2/

Jerry's preseason version of Knee-Jerk Reactions. And it's brilliant, as usual. And I especially enjoy how he takes his brother Jack's (Hawg's) input so seriously.

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/ramblings-from-pats-preseason-game-no-2/

He really doesn't take me so seriously, but he feels sorry for me being as clueless as I am and likes to throw me a bone in print once in a while. I imagine the half-wit Stoolies at Barstool rolling their eyes every time he does it, but at least it briefly breaks up their usual serial masturbation sessions.

We talked for maybe 15 minutes about a number of things, me somewhat euphoric and he more pragmatic. I think he was more excited about Andre Carter's recent appearance on Hell's Kitchen than the game. For the record, Mr. Unblockable described a piece of beef tenderloin as "tender".

Anyhow, Yeatman did look pretty decent blocking and is getting more snaps than Lee Smith, but I am going to have to watch the 2nd half again before I get giddy over Austin again. My preliminary impression was that he didn't do quite as well as last week and the offense couldn't seem to stay on the field.

I think maybe Belichick was hiding him to send a message to the Jets.

Hawg your response needs to be in the "comments" section. Great job jerry you make me grin like a fool every time.:)

It's Good It's Good ... Jerry's prose is getting better all the time, even with his charity mentions of family brilliance. My sabbatical missed the Vrabel retirement, I really would love to read that he's been hired as a coaching assistant for the offense and special teams ... maybe Bill's replacement as HC of the NE Patriots is out there after all.

A tip of the scalpel to our missing link mayoclinic for his Yeatman fixation predraft. Like Hawgie, I was duly impressed with the next Algie Crumpler-like third tackle, and his paws weren't too bad pulling in Mallet's slightly off-target missiles.

Jerry, I came away from the Tampa game with the impression that Hoyer was being show cased for trade and Mallet was being forced to grow under glass in the hot house. I can see NE carrying two QBs again ... another rookie #2 in the making. WEEI insider that you are ;), any sense of which QB needy teams should be beating down the door for Mr. Hoyer's laser rocket arm?

BOX...Vrabes is at THE OSU working on that staff (in case you were thinking he could be in NE for realz right now).

BOX...Vrabes is at THE OSU working on that staff (in case you were thinking he could be in NE for realz right now).
Kewl, I knew he wanted to coach there, and it makes sense for him to get his feet wet at a lower level, the question now is whether he wants to stay at that level or would consider allowing BB to fine tune his "game" at some point?

Jerry, I came away from the Tampa game with the impression that Hoyer was being show cased for trade and Mallet was being forced to grow under glass in the hot house. I can see NE carrying two QBs again ... another rookie #2 in the making. WEEI insider that you are ;), any sense of which QB needy teams should be beating down the door for Mr. Hoyer's laser rocket arm?

I'm not quite the EEI insider. More like the Jehova's Witness who shamed them into reluctantly letting me in on the front landing and I haven't stopped talking long enough to for them to politely ask me to leave.

So I don't have any inside dope. But my assumption is Mallet is not NFL ready. Especially given that he wasn't even handed a playbook until the last week of July. In fact, I pity any team having to rely on a rookie QB in this of all years. Witness the train wreck that is Andy Dalton in Cincy so far. So my assumption is they'll carry 3 QBs and keep grooming Mallet like a ski slope.

One thing I always say, and will continue to: You can argue with many things about how this team conducts business. But one thing you can't question is how they evaluate backup QBs. No one ever looked worse than Cassel, and he's one of probably only 25 or so legit NFL QBs on the planet.

*While I hate to be a buzzkill, I’m starting to run out of hope for Darius Butler. Again, he’s probably a good kid and he’s an insane athlete, but he simply doesn’t cover well. One play he breaks up a pass, and the very next one he gives a ginormous cushion for a long 3rd down conversion, a play which has defined his career. In the 4th quarter he mistimed a jump and while he was on the way down watched helplessly as the ball went over his hands for a 30-something yard completion. I won’t give up yet, but I feel like a Democrat waiting for Obama to get his crap together.

Jerry, this comment surprises me a little. I would have made perfect sense had it come a week earlier but I thought he played well this past week, sans the one long completion along the sideline.

I'm not quite the EEI insider. More like the Jehova's Witness who shamed them into reluctantly letting me in on the front landing and I haven't stopped talking long enough to for them to politely ask me to leave.

So I don't have any inside dope. But my assumption is Mallet is not NFL ready. Especially given that he wasn't even handed a playbook until the last week of July. In fact, I pity any team having to rely on a rookie QB in this of all years. Witness the train wreck that is Andy Dalton in Cincy so far. So my assumption is they'll carry 3 QBs and keep grooming Mallet like a ski slope.

One thing I always say, and will continue to: You can argue with many things about how this team conducts business. But one thing you can't question is how they evaluate backup QBs. No one ever looked worse than Cassel, and he's one of probably only 25 or so legit NFL QBs on the planet.

A couple of good points. Matt looked just awful in his first few cameos and gave no reason to suspect he is what he has now proven. He's legit.

I can see no possible way they would give Mallet the No. 2 unless somebody out there loves Hoyer enough to part with a very large dowry and I really don't think he has shown the necessary chops to the point where anybody would take that risk.

Not that I think he can't play-- I think he can, but his value on the open market is probably limited in that he is smallish and unproven. Down the road a trade scenario makes sense, but we'll keep 3 for at least this season.

However, having typed that paragraph I have a notion that, like KG, I know anything is possiblllllllle.

I think they carry 3 also. I keep thinking about BB's comments on the new kickoff rule and how that changes evaluation of players as far as do you carry that extra ST guy that may not be as valuable anymore or do you use the roster spot on some other player. Perhaps Koutuvides (SP??) can actually fill in @ LB AND play ST so a ST guy who's mostly just ST goes and a third QB stays.

3 fo show!

With the way the Defense is invigorated and how well they were with the ball last year and hopefully as fortuitous this year a game manager like Hoyer, should he be required to take over duties, could still be a legit playoff favorite.

And if Mallett were to be attempted to be stashed to the PS he'd be scooped in a nano-second.

A couple of good points. Matt looked just awful in his first few cameos and gave no reason to suspect he is what he has now proven. He's legit.

I can see no possible way they would give Mallet the No. 2 unless somebody out there loves Hoyer enough to part with a very large dowry and I really don't think he has shown the necessary chops to the point where anybody would take that risk.

Not that I think he can't play-- I think he can, but his value on the open market is probably limited in that he is smallish and unproven. Down the road a trade scenario makes sense, but we'll keep 3 for at least this season.

However, having typed that paragraph I have a notion that, like KG, I know anything is possiblllllllle.

The problem with getting anything for Hoyer right now is the timing of it.

Teams are 3 odd weeks from game #1 so that gives them very little time to get Hoyer up to speed in their offense.

You'd have a much better chance getting good value for him in the early off season.

He'd be a restricted free agent next year, and since he was undrafted, the Pats could make a minimal offer and keep their rights to him. (Assuming this wasn't changed in the new CBA).

Back