The Random Pizza Thread - now, NSFW :(

Catanzaro's in Cranston, RI is my go-to. Great sauce.

So...the JETE kicker has a pizza place as well? :shrug_n:

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

BEST NY style pizza I've ever had outside of NY. If any of you are ever down my way-

https://www.cantinamammalucia.com/

Think Mamma Lucia had a spot near the Costco at rt100. It was good for around a week and then it just started sucking immensely and they had to close. Think they were replaced by a ceviche bar or some shit, but obviously haven't been to MD for quite some time now.

A young guy who was tailgating adjacent to me last Sunday offered me a slice of his Rhode Island-style pizza. Something I was already familiar with.

For those not familiar, that is comprised of dough with sauce. No cheese.

From pointed questioning, I believe that they didn't simply forget the cheese, but prefer just two ingredients because it is still edible for several days after leaving it out on the kitchen counter in a drunken stupor.

It's also known as "party pizza" and is not half bad.

The question is, without cheese can it still be pizza?

So these are both things here in the Midwest but not so sure about the Northeast. What are your thoughts on BBQ pizza and Breakfast pizza? I'm a fan of both. If I have some leftover smoked meat I will make up some pizza dough and throw together a bbq pizza. Breakfast pizza is pretty hard to beat too. All of the best breakfast foods thrown on a pizza.

The worst pizza I ever tasted (frozen included) is Little Caesars, only time I ever paid for one and didn't eat it.

Agreed. Back in my high school days I was fascinated by Little Caesars because we didn't have one anywhere close. Then I moved to Lawrence and they happened to have one. That was back in the "pizza by the foot" days. I loved the stuff. Then it went away and all of the sudden in the last 5 years they have been popping up everywhere with ridiculously cheap pizza. We bought a bunch of them one time because we were at a basketball tournament and needed to feed everyone for cheap and there was a Little Caesars right across the street. I couldn't believe how bad it was. The kids ate it up though.

Okay, you're from Maine...are you old enough to remember Angelino's. LOVED Angelino's when I was a kid. They had I think 3-4 locations around Portland and South Portland, don't know if they had any others outside of there. Apparently the Pizza Joint is still around as well. I remember them being amazing too.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

white pizza guy...huh?

Folks...the terrorists have won.
That might be the place I'm thinking of but it was a long time ago so I can't say for sure. I had also heard from some relatives that this place was still in business, which is proof that their pizzas are still very, very good. We'll be in Maine in a couple of weeks and might have to swing by there for lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A young guy who was tailgating adjacent to me last Sunday offered me a slice of his Rhode Island-style pizza. Something I was already familiar with.

From pointed questioning, I believe that they didn't simply forget the cheese, but prefer just two ingredients because it is still edible for several days after leaving it out on the kitchen counter in a drunken stupor.

Not to me.

But I am of the opinion that there can never be too much cheese on or in just about anything.

It's usually called "deli pizza". It's a staple of most parties, especially kids parties. It's cheap, it's good, and, yes, it lasts.

This is typical of pizza in Sicily as well. I can't remember the exact name of that variety, but I found it delicious.

R.I. Pizza? Ugh.

Took in Waterfire a couple years back with a few other couples. Excellent meal at the Capitol Grill. Wine flowing fast. Sat on the banks and took in the sights and sounds and ambience. A great buzz.

When the event started to wind down a local struck up conversation. Typical where you from, did you like the show etc etc. Saw we were still stoked for a good time so he said we HAD to go to Federal Hill. OUTSTANDING pizza. Open very late. We didn’t feel like hitting the highway so said screw it and strolled up to the recommended joint.

As we approached the line was spilling out the front of the place with people who’d had as good a time as us. Banter was fun. Great vibe. Mostly local. All speaking proudly of their local late night treasure. We were psyched.

I remember seeing the first pie as the line approached the counter. I was up front and my eyes popped a bit. Looked like ass. But I figured it’s all in the taste. Then my wife behind me sees it: WTF?!?

I could’ve done better with a toaster oven plugged into the front of the building and a crate of Elvios frozen pizza with some spice rack acoutriments. Thick almost Wonderbread consistency crust. A layer of ketchup I’m pretty sure. And a paltry mix of shredded mozzarella and Parmesan. All cooked for about 4 and 1/2 minutes under a 60W light bulb.

Everyone took a single bite and tossed the pies in a trash can.

The walk back wasn’t as enthusiastic.

R.I. Pizza? Ugh.

Took in Waterfire a couple years back with a few other couples. Excellent meal at the Capitol Grill. Wine flowing fast. Sat on the banks and took in the sights and sounds and ambience. A great buzz.

When the event started to wind down a local struck up conversation. Typical where you from, did you like the show etc etc. Saw we were still stoked for a good time so he said we HAD to go to Federal Hill. OUTSTANDING pizza. Open very late. We didn’t feel like hitting the highway so said screw it and strolled up to the recommended joint.

As we approached the line was spilling out the front of the place with people who’d had as good a time as us. Banter was fun. Great vibe. Mostly local. All speaking proudly of their local late night treasure. We were psyched.

I remember seeing the first pie as the line approached the counter. I was up front and my eyes popped a bit. Looked like ass. But I figured it’s all in the taste. Then my wife behind me sees it: WTF?!?

I could’ve done better with a toaster oven plugged into the front of the building and a crate of Elvios frozen pizza with some spice rack acoutriments. Thick almost Wonderbread consistency crust. A layer of ketchup I’m pretty sure. And a paltry mix of shredded mozzarella and Parmesan. All cooked for about 4 and 1/2 minutes under a 60W light bulb.

Everyone took a single bite and tossed the pies in a trash can.

The walk back wasn’t as enthusiastic.

Caserta's????

Caserta's????

I forget the name of the place. We were in a good place buzz wise. I know it was a brief walk up the hill from the banks of Waterfire. 10-15 minutes.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

If Cleveland created pizza it would be like that.

I forget the name of the place. We were in a good place buzz wise. I know it was a brief walk up the hill from the banks of Waterfire. 10-15 minutes.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

If Cleveland created pizza it would be like that.

I went to high school close to that area. The pizza at Caserta's was excellent. They changed the sauce a few years back and it's no where near as good.

And, yes, their pizza was always a little doughy, but it was great when I used to go there.

If you're ever there again, try Sicilia's on the Hill. Stuffed pizza pie style. Excellent.

So, when you guys were in high school, did you have "pizza" that appeared to be made out of saltines that had soaked in water for a few days as a crust?

That might be the place I'm thinking of but it was a long time ago so I can't say for sure. I had also heard from some relatives that this place was still in business, which is proof that their pizzas are still very, very good. We'll be in Maine in a couple of weeks and might have to swing by there for lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do, love to know if the quality is still the same. It's on Ocean House Rd in South Portland, right off Broadway and across the street from Mahoney.

Okay, you're from Maine...are you old enough to remember Angelino's. LOVED Angelino's when I was a kid. They had I think 3-4 locations around Portland and South Portland, don't know if they had any others outside of there. Apparently the Pizza Joint is still around as well. I remember them being amazing too.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

white pizza guy...huh?

Folks...the terrorists have won.

editing note- Angelone's not Anglino's. From what I understand they've been gone for several years.

I don't have the exact recipe, but probably not.

I'm curious if this was a local school district thing.

Despite my description, I actually have fond memories of that "pizza" that I'm sure are not justified by it's quality.

I ALMOST stopped at the place where we got pizza from when I was a kid a few weeks ago. I drove by to see if it was still there when I was in the neighborhood. My dilemma was would it be as I remember? Would having it now ruin the nostalgia? I ended up not going and getting pizza where I had never gotten it from before. I still kind of regret not going, despite the odds of it not being as I remember. (nostalgia combined with many many years of possible changes).

Back