The Random Pizza Thread - now, NSFW :(

I have had Greeks and it was pretty good.

Not sure if you've spent much time in Anderson, but Arts pizza is worth a stop.

In all fairness, Jaric, you live in Indiana. You don't have a clue what good pizza is. There's just no basis for comparison. ROFL ROFL ROFL

Guys, the corn jokes really aren't landing. Step your game up.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qqaKi9NTzS4" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In all fairness, Jaric, you live in Indiana. You don't have a clue what good pizza is. There's just no basis for comparison. ROFL ROFL ROFL

They key to good pizza is the crust. Any dummy can toss meat and cheese on to bread but what separates good pizza from garbage is the crust.

Now, I personally have always preferred thinner crispier crusts although it's a bit hard to accomplish without a 1400 degree brick oven (one day...) But a gas grill can still achieve some semblance of acceptable pizza if properly prepared. One of the other mistakes people tend to make is not allowing their dough enough time to properly develop flavors.

Another common mistake seems to be to pile as many toppings as possible. Pizza, like comedy, follows the rule of three. Any more than 3 toppings and the flavor becomes muddled. Your toppings should tell a story and that story isn't "everyone in the pool."

I went to college with a bunch of New Yorkers who being New Yorkers were terrible people and very arrogant about New York pizza and the necessity of "the fold." Now, I've experienced "the fold" which to me feels more like the onset of an eating disorder than it does a refined method to intake carbs.

Being close to Chicago, I've obviously have to deal with Chicagians who are like New Yorkers but with an inferiority complex an even worse "pizza.". I hesitate to even call it pizza when it appears more like someone took the food waste at the end of the night, tossed it in a casserole pan and chucked it into the oven. The only use I have for that is if a moment arises where I don't sufficiently hate myself or feel the urge to go into a insulin related food coma.

They key to good pizza is the crust. Any dummy can toss meat and cheese on to bread but what separates good pizza from garbage is the crust.

Now, I personally have always preferred thinner crispier crusts although it's a bit hard to accomplish without a 1400 degree brick oven (one day...) But a gas grill can still achieve some semblance of acceptable pizza if properly prepared. One of the other mistakes people tend to make is not allowing their dough enough time to properly develop flavors.

Another common mistake seems to be to pile as many toppings as possible. Pizza, like comedy, follows the rule of three. Any more than 3 toppings and the flavor becomes muddled. Your toppings should tell a story and that story isn't "everyone in the pool."

I went to college with a bunch of New Yorkers who being New Yorkers were terrible people and very arrogant about New York pizza and the necessity of "the fold." Now, I've experienced "the fold" which to me feels more like the onset of an eating disorder than it does a refined method to intake carbs.

Being close to Chicago, I've obviously have to deal with Chicagians who are like New Yorkers but with an inferiority complex an even worse "pizza.". I hesitate to even call it pizza when it appears more like someone took the food waste at the end of the night, tossed it in a casserole pan and chucked it into the oven. The only use I have for that is if a moment arises where I don't sufficiently hate myself or feel the urge to go into a insulin related food coma.

ROFL

You seriously have to make it out to Boston one of these days.

You’re on the right track jaric. Crust is critical.

Sauce is what generally separates the good from the superior though. Once I lock in on thin crust done correct I filter by sauce quality. I like mine a tad spicy, with strong oregano hints. I DO NOT like a sweet sauce.

I too prefer the thin crispy. Generally extra cheese, but I might go 2 combo. Classic green pepper onion, though I’m picky there too. I gotta have em almost julienned, still crisp, but a hint of black char.
Pepperoni and fresh mushroom.
Fresh garlic and thin tomatoe slices.

Come to Boston jaric. We talk mean but you’ll have a 3 day weekend to remember.

Pizza with more than three toppings can be amazing...in fact, three should be the minimum.

It all depends on what the toppings are and how they compliment each other.

I do agree that crust is important.

I love Chicago deep dish pizza.

The fold is stupid. It has nothing to do with how it tastes.

The sauce is also very important.

You’re on the right track jaric. Crust is critical.

Sauce is what generally separates the good from the superior though. Once I lock in on thin crust done correct I filter by sauce quality. I like mine a tad spicy, with strong oregano hints. I DO NOT like a sweet sauce.

I too prefer the thin crispy. Generally extra cheese, but I might go 2 combo. Classic green pepper onion, though I’m picky there too. I gotta have em almost julienned, still crisp, but a hint of black char.
Pepperoni and fresh mushroom.
Fresh garlic and thin tomatoe slices.

Come to Boston jaric. We talk mean but you’ll have a 3 day weekend to remember.
You really need both IMO, a pizza with a shitty crust but outstanding sauce still won't make for a great pizza, and vice versa. There was a place in Biddeford Maine where we use to get out pizza when I was a kid and I still haven't found a place that makes a better pizza.

There is only 1 pizza place up here in my neck of the woods that makes a great pizza yet most people I know go to the most popular places to get their pizza and I think their pizzas are terrible.

Admittedly though, the best pizza is made on the east coast, bar none.

Pepperoni (extra I mo better) and mushrooms is where it's at.

Pizza can be great without sauce at all which suggests to me that crust is more important than sauce.

Still though... If a pizza has sauce it better not be shitty

Pizza can be great without sauce at all which suggests to me that crust is more important than sauce.

Still though... If a pizza has sauce it better not be shitty

I routinely use nothing but a brushing of olive oil for my "sauce."

You really need both IMO, a pizza with a shitty crust but outstanding sauce still won't make for a great pizza, and vice versa. There was a place in Biddeford Maine where we use to get out pizza when I was a kid and I still haven't found a place that makes a better pizza.

There is only 1 pizza place up here in my neck of the woods that makes a great pizza yet most people I know go to the most popular places to get their pizza and I think their pizzas are terrible.

Pizza by Alex in Biddeford? That place is awesome and famous up there.

However, no one has mentioned what is obviously the best place in the world for pizza, and the answer isn't a trite one.

Campania, Italy, particularly around Naples.

I know that seems too obvious and simple, but as someone who goes there once a year, there is no comparison whatsoever. None. The freshness of the ingredients, the ovens, the expertise... ambrosial.

Okay, you're from Maine...are you old enough to remember Angelino's. LOVED Angelino's when I was a kid. They had I think 3-4 locations around Portland and South Portland, don't know if they had any others outside of there. Apparently the Pizza Joint is still around as well. I remember them being amazing too.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

I routinely use nothing but a brushing of olive oil for my "sauce."

white pizza guy...huh?

Folks...the terrorists have won.

Sweet Evalina's Stand in Woodstock, CT.

Their Feature Pizza is heaven. White pizza with feta, chicken, artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, crushed red pepper, black pepper, oregano, and olive oil.

Link

Back