The Roasting of Wes Welker

As a non-fan, I've never understood this disposition on the part of Pats fans.

Yes, he dropped the pass in the one SB (which was not a great throw, btw). But a case could be made that without the helmet catch, he might have been MVP of the one prior to that. Brady probably would have been, but a case could have been made for WW.

That's right, as a non fan you can't get it because it was a huge dagger and happened RIGHT in front of my eyes. This was not his only bad non catch.

Wes was a great player here who most people wanted back after 2012 and he would have helped especially in the early going.

Having said that, the way he left turning down a more than fair offer, signing with the Pat's closest competition in Denver for less money than the Pats' offered, chosi9ng to play w/Peyton, and then burning bridges naturally pissed a lot of people who previously loved the guy. It's only human nature.

The guy was an awesome player while he was here tho and should eventually be re-embraced and voted into the Pats' HOF.
Welker was one tough bastard and more than a good player. He played his best years here, had a couple of bad plays that will never be forgotten, but so does everyone. I can't badmouth the guy.

Welker was one tough bastard and more than a good player. He played his best years here, had a couple of bad plays that will never be forgotten, but so does everyone. I can't badmouth the guy.

I wore his jersey for a few years but I still can't get over the drops which diminish his legacy in our unis a bit. I don't hate the guy though choosing Denver bothers me like Adam chooising the Colts.

I understand that's biz in the NFL but I'm an overemotional fan.;)

I think the thing I remember most about Wes is that clip where he tells Belichick that he was pretty happy letting someone else take over punt returns.

Belichick says 'Way to compete' and turns away.

I think Wes had no idea how to relate with Bill, unlike a lot of other players (like Edeleman). That probably hurt him more than anything else.

I don't envision a problem re-embracing the guy down the road, but I'm not there yet.

I can forgive bad plays especially when a guy has made a lot of great ones, like WW did. I dont have a problem with guys who want more money. I actually love that bb is fiscally disciplined and i doubt many people would say yes, please pay me less for the same skillset than i could get elsewhere. What i cant forgive is crap talking your old team and hc publicly. Way to separate yourself from brandon spikes there, wes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wes was a great player here who most people wanted back after 2012 and he would have helped especially in the early going.

Having said that, the way he left turning down a more than fair offer, signing with the Pat's closest competition in Denver for less money than the Pats' offered, chosing to play w/Peyton, and then burning bridges naturally pissed a lot of people who previously loved the guy. It's only human nature.

The guy was an awesome player while he was here tho and should eventually be re-embraced and voted into the Pats' HOF.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5SBaBG3FIbk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XVICTGdirDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CXVCdCG-CjI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is how I feel about it too. Well put.

IPh8P3F.jpg

You know, he never got it, the Wally Pipp thing. He had no idea what Bill was talking about even after the (brief ) explanation. But in Patriots lore, Drew is the bona-fide Wally Pip.

Cheers, BostonTim

Fvck Welker.

In a non-classless way, of course. :coffee:

Welker doesn't deserve a roast. He lost the Patriots a Super Bowl, and some could argue an AFCCG as well.

**** that non-clutch regular season stat-padder. Good riddance. :coffee:

I loved the guy when he played for New England, but let's face it. Anytime there was a big game, the guy would disappear. In the regular season he seemed uncover-able, but when it came to the playoffs he would get blanketed. The guy is a choker, and he didn't deserve a ring. Also, Edelman appears to be a tougher, more versatile, quicker, faster and more clutch version of Welker, so that is why he won't be looked at as such a star anytime soon.

Let's not forget how he left, how he badmouthed the organization, BB and signed with the enemy, and even while playing for the opposite team he kept talking about his time at NE. He made his bed and now he gets to lay in it.

Bb tried to phase him out earlier in the season.. Injuries ruined that. I just think he taking a lot of nasty hits. Were starting to drop passes during key moments. The part that pissed off pats fan was trashing BB to the media. Then doing a cheap shot to take out Talib .

I have no qualms with Welker, but this

I've also been hearing things like "Patriots got lucky to have Welker leave". Really?

is absurd. Yes, unequivocally, was is fortunate for the team that Welker left.

I loved the guy when he played for New England, but let's face it. Anytime there was a big game, the guy would disappear. In the regular season he seemed uncover-able, but when it came to the playoffs he would get blanketed. The guy is a choker, and he didn't deserve a ring.
:coffee:

As a non-fan, I've never understood this disposition on the part of Pats fans.
It's all about how the player leaves. It's like breaking up with a girlfriend. When the parting is amicable, they stay friends and might even get back together.

When the girlfriend leaves and tells stories about you, she becomes dead to me.

Welker and Viniateri can both suck big ones. It isn't because they left. Bledsoe left and got a standing O his first trip back. There was talk of Troy Brown finishing his career with the Jets. I would have routed for him. Lots of players leave and fans still love them. It goes beyond laundry. If David Givens hadn't hurt himself, I'd have followed him and cheered when he did good.

Some players are minor annoyances when they leave, like some ex-girlfriends but are still okay. Brandon Spikes is one.

The only players who left that I can't pigeonhold are Ty Law and Deion Branch, perhaps because I didn't like the way they left yet BB brought them back.

welker.gif

Next question.

This times 100....

But it's also because we were nervous losing him was going to be a huge negative....

And now, it's obvious it was actually a blessing in disguise. So it's like, "Phew, Welker BLOWS and is about to retire because his brain is mashed potatoes now."

It's all about how the player leaves. It's like breaking up with a girlfriend. When the parting is amicable, they stay friends and might even get back together.

When the girlfriend leaves and tells stories about you, she becomes dead to me.

Welker and Viniateri can both suck big ones. It isn't because they left. Bledsoe left and got a standing O his first trip back. There was talk of Troy Brown finishing his career with the Jets. I would have routed for him. Lots of players leave and fans still love them. It goes beyond laundry. If David Givens hadn't hurt himself, I'd have followed him and cheered when he did good.

Some players are minor annoyances when they leave, like some ex-girlfriends but are still okay. Brandon Spikes is one.

The only players who left that I can't pigeonhold are Ty Law and Deion Branch, perhaps because I didn't like the way they left yet BB brought them back.
Welker left because the team really didn't want him back. I think they called his bluff and we're ready to move on. It ended up working out better for us anyways.

You're kidding, right?

I'm pointing out the idiocy in trying to label an entire career based on one play. And the even greater idiocy in hating a guy because of one play in spite of anything else he has done for the team. Welker played through more injuries than I'm sure we've been made aware of. He literally put his life on the line for this team. He deserves more credit and respect than he's been getting.

Brady threw a horrible interception in the Seahawks game. If Malcolm Butler drops that interception and Lynch runs it in the next play, are posters here going to be posting gifs of that interception saying "Brady never shows up in big games"?

Welker made a bad drop on a bad throw that made it a harder catch than it should have been. That doesn't erase all of his quality games that he carried our offense and Brady did nothing but force feed him the ball because he was the only one getting open. Saying Welker is a choke artist is as intellectually lazy as saying Mayo is a choke artist and we couldn't win a SB until he was on IR.

I have no qualms with Welker, but this

is absurd. Yes, unequivocally, was is fortunate for the team that Welker left.

The offer for the Patriots was reportedly 2 years, 10 million with realistic incentives up to 16 million dollars.

Welker's play has dropped off because Peyton has gotten him concussed more in two years than he did in six years with Brady. We all know Peyton leaves his WRs out to dry. Ask Austin Collie and Emmanual Sanders.

This offseason where we are tight against the cap, we would be free of the contract (instead we are stuck with 3 more years at 6 million with Amendola, a #3 WR and at least for this season stuck with that contract on the books. You really wouldn't want the future cap freedom plus obviously the cap space this season to resign Revis and McCourty and having enough room to sign a legitimate vet upgrade at DE, DT or OG?

Put down the haterade. You can maybe make the theoretical argument that we don't win the SB with Welker (a flimsy argument at best), but looking beyond actual performance, the cap situation would be light years better with Welkers' expiring contract instead of Amendolas dead weight.

Amendola is going to have the 7th highest cap hit on the team this season. Our #3 WR. I was always on the pro-Amendola side, but acting like that's great value is just objectively wrong.

I think the thing I remember most about Wes is that clip where he tells Belichick that he was pretty happy letting someone else take over punt returns.

Belichick says 'Way to compete' and turns away.

I think Wes had no idea how to relate with Bill, unlike a lot of other players (like Edeleman). That probably hurt him more than anything else.

I don't envision a problem re-embracing the guy down the road, but I'm not there yet.

I don't remember ever hearing or seeing this and sounds completely unlike Welker. Especially given that he continued to field punts in Denver.

In high school Welker played safety, was the place kicker, return man, and lead WR, and in Miami was pretty close to the same. He had 581 tackles, 80 TDs, 22 INTs, and 35 field goals. Welker was always a gammer. Remember his rabid squirrel face on punt returns? I can't believe the revisionist history that is going on here.

The only scenario I can buy that story is during 2010 his ACL return season or maybe after a concussion or some injury like that. Welker has always been a great competitor.

Ok so don't listen to it... You're not going to change anyone's mind by telling them they're stupid for feeling the way they do. The guy left and then talked shit about the team. You can't deny that. Some Patriots fans, myself included, don't care for that shit.

Back