They don't make rivalries like they used to

O.Z.O.

Jiminy Fucking Christmas...
Reaction score
O.Z.O. Jr. shared something with me yesterday-

EVERY Ratbird fan that he has the misfortune of knowing (and, having grown up in their territory, it's an unfortunately high number) is rooting for the Steelers this week.

Now, both of us have been told multiple times over the years that the Ratbirds consider the Steelers to be their biggest rivals. We've insisted over and over again that that wasn't the case, and to me anyway this kind of proves it.

I mean, seriously, what fan is going to root for the team that is supposedly their biggest rival? What Red Sox fan would EVER root for the Yankees? I know a whole lot of Redskins fans, and they would be flayed, rolled in salt and drawn and quartered before they would root for the Cowboys.

It is only because the Steelers are playing the Pats. If it was any other AFC team the Ratbirds would be rooting for the Steelers to lose.

It is because they have learned to hate the Patriots more than they hate their division rival.

Embrace the hate.

It is only because the Steelers are playing the Pats. If it was any other AFC team the Ratbirds would be rooting for the Steelers to lose.

Exactly. Despite their protestations to the contrary, they consider the Pats to be their biggest rival. That was my whole point.

One of my close friends is a rat bird fan and he's rooting for the Patriots. Trust me it took everything in his soul to tell me that but he hates the Steelers that much.

OK, imagine if you will, in a parallel Universe....

the Jets are playing the Rat Birds... who are you rooting for?

Me? I am hoping for the Morgue to fill up.

Ratbirds without hesitation. I was pulling for the Steelers vs the Jets back in 2010.

One of my close friends is a rat bird fan and he's rooting for the Patriots. Trust me it took everything in his soul to tell me that but he hates the Steelers that much.

I know a couple that are. I know their first choice is the Black Sunday scenario, but I can't respect any legitimate Ratbird fan that says they're rooting for the Steelers.

wait a minute, did I just imply that there was a scenario where I COULD respect a Ratbird fan...:huh:

Haha, that's a good one. ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Ratbirds without hesitation. I was pulling for the Steelers vs the Jets back in 2010.

this^^^, but it's kind of an odd scenario-

the definition of a rival is somebody who competes directly against you for the same thing. TECHNICALLY, being in the same division, the Jesters are a rival whereas the Steelers aren't.

btw...I rooted for the Steelers as well. It DID require a rape shower.

As much as I hate the Cowboys, I rooted for them when they played Buffalo in the Super Bowl. Division rivalries trump everything.

As much as I hate the Cowboys, I rooted for them when they played Buffalo in the Super Bowl. Division rivalries trump everything.

Unless you're in the AFC South.

Of course, I don't really have to root for any of those teams to lose, it just sort of happens naturally

I know this is an O.Z.O. thread so maybe I shouldn't be in here.
Please give O.Z.O. my apologies.

It's not hate. It's a grudging respect and loyalty to the AFC North 1st, the AFC conference 2nd. (unless it's the Raiders, but I haven't had to worry about that for about 4 score and 7 years. :D)

In the case of Ratbirds vs Pats. I would go with the Ratbirds.
When the Pats have made it to the dance, I secretly rooted for them.

I would never root for any rival of my team. It's either hoping for them to lose or indifference if they are playing another rival.

Same.

Unless we are talking regular season and the Jets are out of playoff contention and Baltimore is fighting for a playoff spot.

But in a meaningful game, especially playoffs, I would pull for the Ratbirds. It's amazing how many different fans consider us their archrival now.

I would say the irrational Pats hate has reached an all new level.

I sat in a bar a few nights ago and listened to a Dolphins fan talking to a Cowboys fan.

The only things that they could agree on were that Brady is a system QB who would have failed in any other organization and that BB has only got the Patriots to where they are by routinely bending the rules and yes *gasp* outright cheating.

The hate has turned generational. The Cowboys fan had his son with him who said that he was going to have to *kill himself* if the Cowboys lost to the cheaters in the Super Bowl.

I hope the Kid is OK.

I would say the irrational Pats hate has reached an all new level.

I sat in a bar a few nights ago and listened to a Dolphins fan talking to a Cowboys fan.

The only things that they could agree on were that Brady is a system QB who would have failed in any other organization and that BB has only got the Patriots to where they are by routinely bending the rules and yes *gasp* outright cheating.

The hate has turned generational. The Cowboys fan had his son with him who said that he was going to have to *kill himself* if the Cowboys lost to the cheaters in the Super Bowl.

I hope the Kid is OK.

thank God he doesn't have to worry about that now...

There is no way in FVCKING HELL I could root for the Ravens.
I'd root for the Jets, Steelers whoever...vs. them.
Now, my hatreds are always based on current populace, so if Balt suddenly became filled with non hateable people (i.e. they were all in a plane crash and died), I'd change my mind I am sure.

Back