They don't make rivalries like they used to

So many teams in the AFC have been butt ****ed by the Pats for so long that they've become the fan base's number one rival, even if it's not reciprocated on our end.

My dad basically cheers for anyone vs the Pats, including the Ravens earlier this season when the Steelers needed them to lose.

O.Z.O. Jr. shared something with me yesterday-

EVERY Ratbird fan that he has the misfortune of knowing (and, having grown up in their territory, it's an unfortunately high number) is rooting for the Steelers this week.

Now, both of us have been told multiple times over the years that the Ratbirds consider the Steelers to be their biggest rivals. We've insisted over and over again that that wasn't the case, and to me anyway this kind of proves it.

I mean, seriously, what fan is going to root for the team that is supposedly their biggest rival? What Red Sox fan would EVER root for the Yankees? I know a whole lot of Redskins fans, and they would be flayed, rolled in salt and drawn and quartered before they would root for the Cowboys.
You are correct about this. I live in SEC territory and every Tennessee, Florida or Georgia fan is all "Bama!" or "Roll Tide" right about now. I could never see an OSU fan hoping for Michigan to win the NC in anything.

So many teams in the AFC have been butt ****ed by the Pats for so long that they've become the fan base's number one rival, even if it's not reciprocated on our end.

My dad basically cheers for anyone vs the Pats, including the Ravens earlier this season when the Steelers needed them to lose.
I was wondering how the conversations with your dad are going this week... any family bets?

I won't root for certain rivals. In my world, I'll never, ever root for:

- Jets
- Yankees
- Notre Dame
- Boston University

Beyond that, I don't usually care who wins.

I only like to do that to hot Bengals fans, Tiger blood and stuff....

Ho Dey!!!!

cin4.jpg

Going left to right, the faces get worse, but the bodies get better. Odd.

I was wondering how the conversations with your dad are going this week... any family bets?

Pretty quiet so far actually. Probably talked more trash for the regular season matchup, and I imagine now we're both a bit cautious about being too overconfident.

I'm sure we'll come up with something. Funnily enough, I don't expect us to watch the game together. I just can't watch Pats playoff games with other people anymore (except GF). I need my personal space to express emotions without feeling restrained by the presence of others lol

Part of me does want to watch together, but **** that'll suck if Pats lose. In 2011 we went to our first NFL game together ... Pats vs Steelers IN Shittsburgh. Pats lost that game and the 11 hour drive back the next day sucked hard.

- Jets
- Yankees
- Notre Dame
- Boston University

I used to be that way about the Raiders and the Cowboys, but the stench of both has worn off a bit.

- Jets
- Yankees
- Notre Dame
- Boston University

I STILL remember coming down the stretch in '08 when the Yankees were playing the Rays. It would have helped the Sox for the Yankees to win those games and I STILL couldn't root for them. It exists at the DNA level.

You realize your dad considers this the biggest failure in his life, right?

My oldest has a Steeler emblem tattooed on his calf and my lovely daughter is probably as big a fan as I am. PLUS she looks awesome in Black and Gold!

Both born in So.Cal.

Give him my condolences next time you are together.

You realize your dad considers this the biggest failure in his life, right?

My oldest has a Steeler emblem tattooed on his calf and my lovely daughter is probably as big a fan as I am. PLUS she looks awesome in Black and Gold!

Both born in So.Cal.

Give him my condolences next time you are together.

My daughters first live Pats game she was 16 they were playing the jets at the meadow lands. Good friend of ours has connections. She and her 18 year old brother were my friends guest. Sideline passes and all. Adam Vinatieri bumped into her on the sideline and knock her to the ground he was so upset and helped her up. She was in awe as was my son. True story lol it runs deep!

~Dee~

Back