Wake Up! It's game day! (Default game thread - Atl at NE)

I'll admit I was one of the guys not sure if Lewis would find a spot on this O but I think I seriously underrated what he could do as a lead back. He looks much better than Gill aside from short yardage work. Happy to see him looking more like his old self.

Burkhead also ran well in limited action.

Aside from Gronk dumbass penalties and some periodic derp from the OL the offense looked scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish Gillislee could actually break a tackle...he will be needed more if Lewis cracks.

Burkhead when used, is pretty good.

It's nice to see these guys talk after their careers when they no longer have the Belichick muzzle on them. ROFL

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Put a fork in them, last year haunts the falcons like poltergeist! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PatsNation?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PatsNation</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/gooseegg?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#gooseegg</a></p>— Rob Ninkovich (@ninko50) <a href="https://twitter.com/ninko50/status/922296462649815040?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 23, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Also and I don't want to scare anyone... but...

23+7 = 30
3+0 = 3
The Patriots had 3 points when they started their Super Bowl comeback.

Also, a triangle has 3 sides... ILLUMINATI!

I'll admit I was one of the guys not sure if Lewis would find a spot on this O but I think I seriously underrated what he could do as a lead back. He looks much better than Gill aside from short yardage work. Happy to see him looking more like his old self.

Aside from Gronk dumbass penalties and some periodic derp from the OL the offense looked scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You and many, many others.

Chevss and I have been telling you folks that when healthy Lewis is the RB1/Feature Back for this team. :coffee:

Stephon Gilmore could find himself riding some serious pine here going forward.

He'd be wise to learn from what he's seen from the CBs since he's been out. Rowe, too. Badass and Jones have played tough, tenacious and steady in their absence.

You and many, many others.

Chevss and I have been telling you folks that when healthy Lewis is the RB1/Feature Back for this team. :coffee:

Yes! Lewis is back to his form 2 years ago. Iow, he's phenomenal. His running ability is off the charts - slippery, elusive, vision, speed and quickness. BB is managing his snaps and that's smart. With the game in hand, Lewis was replaced by Burkhead.

Our really like our versatility at RB. Lewis's replacement is Burkhead who can also run and catch well.
White is our 3rd down back but he can also run it occasionally which keeps defenses on their toes.
Gillislee is our power guy to run out the clock but he needs to learn to glance off tacklers instead of trying to run over them.

I don't know how it looked on TV, but the fog was unreal.

Shortly after the 2nd half started you could see fingers of heavy mist coming down suddenly like somebody was pouring steam into a bowl. For most of the remainder it was somewhere between hard and completely impossible to see the ball in the air.

I watched a point after from a perfect angle on the goal line and close and couldn't see the ball at all.

Gene Steratore made a call and the only thing visible on the jumbotron was the dim outline of the black stripes on his shirt. He looked like the invisible man.

It made for a weirdly beautiful kinda night at Gillette. Easily the best performance of the year, but if I wanted to keep it humble I'd comment that they are missing Shanahan something fierce. We were all over almost everything Steve Sarkisian dialed up. Everybody was covering well. Even the LB corps. I don't know what their stats were for 3rd and 4th down, but it had to be total dominance for us.

On the flip side, I'll give Josh credit for sticking with the ground game even though it didn't do a whole lot early. He didn't panic and they were off-balance most of the night as a result. I'm sure Ernie Adams was up in the booth using U.S. military black ops fog-penetrating binocs, but Sarkisian called plays like he could barely see the field.

That 4th down call where they ran a jet sweep to the right on our goal line was truly one of the worst calls of the year.

DMyv5pVVoAAvwSh.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Shortly after the 2nd half started you could see fingers of heavy mist coming down suddenly like somebody was pouring steam into a bowl. For most of the remainder it was somewhere between hard and completely impossible to see the ball in the air.

I watched a point after from a perfect angle on the goal line and close and couldn't see the ball at all.

Gene Steratore made a call and the only thing visible on the jumbotron was the dim outline of the black stripes on his shirt. He looked like the invisible man.

It made for a weirdly beautiful kinda night at Gillette. Easily the best performance of the year, but if I wanted to keep it humble I'd comment that they are missing Shanahan something fierce. We were all over almost everything Steve Sarkisian dialed up. Everybody was covering well. Even the LB corps. I don't know what their stats were for 3rd and 4th down, but it had to be total dominance for us.

On the flip side, I'll give Josh credit for sticking with the ground game even though it didn't do a whole lot early. He didn't panic and they were off-balance most of the night as a result. I'm sure Ernie Adams was up in the booth using U.S. military black ops fog-penetrating binocs, but Sarkisian called plays like he could barely see the field.

That 4th down call where they ran a jet sweep to the right on our goal line was truly one of the worst calls of the year.

Can picture Ernie watching in thermal mode for sure.

Our RBs are a big strength of this team. Keep Cooks outside. He is deadly there. Have Danny and Hogan do the middle of the field of the stuff and let Gronk run the seam. And don't forget Mitchell is coming back mostly likely after the bye.

From our pal Mehta ...

Like it or not, Tom Brady, Belichick and the Patriots are going to the Super Bowl … again

Manish Mehta
MANISH MEHTA
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, October 23, 2017, 7:30 AM

Tom Brady has everything.

Five Lombardi Trophies. Most wins ever. Square jaw. Pristine white choppers. Supermodel wife.

Now, he has a defense again.

I'm going to be violently ill.

For all the jokes cracked about the putrid Patriots defense through the first month and a half of the season, here's the new, annoying reality: Brady & Co. are going to the Super Bowl… again.

Ugh.

Matt Patricia evidently used that pencil behind his ear to good use by devising a brilliant defensive game plan to neuter Matt Ryan's Falcons in a 23-7 beatdown Sunday night. Somehow the same Patriots defense that allowed 300-yard passers in each of the first six weeks turned the reigning NFL MVP into a Pop Warner signal caller.

Somehow, this lost unit that was lit up for 41 points in the season opener and 33 in two other games finally came to life. Somehow, the atrocious New England defense that would surely doom Bill Belichick once and for all turned into an asset. (There was even a David Harris sighting!)

What in the name of the Purple People Eaters is going on around here? How could this be? It makes little sense. Check that. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm befuddled.

The Patriots were dead last in total defense entering the Super Bowl LI rematch. Only the Colts and Cardinals were allowing more points per game than New England's 26.5. Heck, the Jets had just racked up 408 yards in a tight game a week earlier.

Tales of Belichick's adjustment wizardry have taken on a life of their own through the years. To hear some people tell it, the Hoodie is football's John Nash, a beautiful mind capable of solving the most vexing problems.

Although it has all sounded so romanticized, the results don't lie. The Patriots have looked vulnerable early in seasons in the recent past only to find their way.

The only logical conclusion: The Evil Empire is, in fact, a machine.

"We just started communicating better," cornerback Malcolm Butler said.

Ya think?!

There was something strange in the air. And it wasn't just that weird fog.

The Patriots looked like champions all over again.

Sure, Brady did Brady things to get them atop the AFC East entering the primetime showdown, but there had always been a sense that these Patriots were hardly Super Bowl LII contenders with that suspect defense.

The Falcons, losers of three in a row after starting off 3-0, piled up some garbage-time stats, but don't be fooled: The Patriots, who occupy the AFC East throne at 5-2, thoroughly dominated the night.

New England scored the final 31 points in their epic Super Bowl win and the first 23 points on Sunday night. Haven't the Falcons suffered enough, Sir Hoodie?

The Patriots are Minneapolis bound. If you laugh at the thought, consider the likely "contenders" in the AFC.

Would you bet your bottom dollar that the Chiefs would beat the Patriots twice in the same season?

Would you slap down a wager on the Steelers to topple Brady?

Who else in the conference would you get in a foxhole with come playoff time? The Broncos? Please.

It's time to face reality, no matter how painful it might be.

Belichick fooled us all yet again.

Like it or not, The Evil Empire is going to Super Bowl LII.

From our pal Mehta ...

Like it or not, Tom Brady, Belichick and the Patriots are going to the Super Bowl … again

Manish Mehta
MANISH MEHTA
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, October 23, 2017, 7:30 AM

Tom Brady has everything.

Five Lombardi Trophies. Most wins ever. Square jaw. Pristine white choppers. Supermodel wife.

Now, he has a defense again.

I'm going to be violently ill.

For all the jokes cracked about the putrid Patriots defense through the first month and a half of the season, here's the new, annoying reality: Brady & Co. are going to the Super Bowl… again.

Ugh.

Matt Patricia evidently used that pencil behind his ear to good use by devising a brilliant defensive game plan to neuter Matt Ryan's Falcons in a 23-7 beatdown Sunday night. Somehow the same Patriots defense that allowed 300-yard passers in each of the first six weeks turned the reigning NFL MVP into a Pop Warner signal caller.

Somehow, this lost unit that was lit up for 41 points in the season opener and 33 in two other games finally came to life. Somehow, the atrocious New England defense that would surely doom Bill Belichick once and for all turned into an asset. (There was even a David Harris sighting!)

What in the name of the Purple People Eaters is going on around here? How could this be? It makes little sense. Check that. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm befuddled.

The Patriots were dead last in total defense entering the Super Bowl LI rematch. Only the Colts and Cardinals were allowing more points per game than New England's 26.5. Heck, the Jets had just racked up 408 yards in a tight game a week earlier.

Tales of Belichick's adjustment wizardry have taken on a life of their own through the years. To hear some people tell it, the Hoodie is football's John Nash, a beautiful mind capable of solving the most vexing problems.

Although it has all sounded so romanticized, the results don't lie. The Patriots have looked vulnerable early in seasons in the recent past only to find their way.

The only logical conclusion: The Evil Empire is, in fact, a machine.

"We just started communicating better," cornerback Malcolm Butler said.

Ya think?!

There was something strange in the air. And it wasn't just that weird fog.

The Patriots looked like champions all over again.

Sure, Brady did Brady things to get them atop the AFC East entering the primetime showdown, but there had always been a sense that these Patriots were hardly Super Bowl LII contenders with that suspect defense.

The Falcons, losers of three in a row after starting off 3-0, piled up some garbage-time stats, but don't be fooled: The Patriots, who occupy the AFC East throne at 5-2, thoroughly dominated the night.

New England scored the final 31 points in their epic Super Bowl win and the first 23 points on Sunday night. Haven't the Falcons suffered enough, Sir Hoodie?

The Patriots are Minneapolis bound. If you laugh at the thought, consider the likely "contenders" in the AFC.

Would you bet your bottom dollar that the Chiefs would beat the Patriots twice in the same season?

Would you slap down a wager on the Steelers to topple Brady?

Who else in the conference would you get in a foxhole with come playoff time? The Broncos? Please.

It's time to face reality, no matter how painful it might be.

Belichick fooled us all yet again.

Like it or not, The Evil Empire is going to Super Bowl LII.

Poor Manish. He'd love to be a Pats beat writer but he's stuck in purgatory.
Short highlight video of last night's game. Pats look great.

https://youtu.be/954fUhdaeoE

Hogan took some hard hits. Hope he's ok today.

The fog was awesome because it forced the use of field cameras more than usual.

Van Noy's best play of the year so far. :toast:

Tom Brady vs Falcons 21-29 for 72.4%, 249 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 8.6 YPA, 121.2 passer rating

Brandin Cooks vs Falcons 4-5 for 80.0%, 65 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 13.0 YPA, 189.6 target rating

James White vs Falcons 5-5 for 100.0%, 28 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 5.6 YPA, 175.4 target rating

Chris Hogan vs Falcons 4-6 for 66.7%, 71 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 11.8 YPA, 106.9 target rating

Danny Amendola vs Falcons 3-4 for 75.0%, 17 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 4.3 YPA, 82.3 target rating

Rob Gronkowski vs Falcons 3-7 for 42.9%, 51 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 7.3 YPA, 68.2 target rating

Net Yards Rushing
Patriots 162
Falcons 120

Red Zone Efficiency
Patriots 2-5 for 40%
Falcons 1-4 for 25%

Time of Possession
Patriots 34:05
Falcons 25:55

From PFF

Top 5 Grades:

C David Andrews, 94.4 overall grade
T Marcus Cannon, 86.0 overall grade
QB Tom Brady, 84.1 overall grade
WR Brandin Cooks, 83.1 overall grade
CB Malcolm Butler, 82.9 overall grade
Performances of Note:

QB Tom Brady, 84.1 overall grade

Tom Brady still shows no sign of slowing down, while he didn’t throw for 250 yards, Brady was on the money. Strangely enough the best and worst throws Brady made where nullified by penalties. Brady completed 72.5 percent of his passes but there where 3 dropped passes, which gave Brady a 82.8 percent adjusted completion percentage, the highest for the week so far with only Monday Night Football remaining.
C David Andrews, 94.4 overall grade

While David Andrews may not be as well known of a center as his counterpart in this game Alex Mack, Andrews was dominant against the Falcons. Andrews was able to reach block both Dontari Poe and Grady Jarrett on outside zone runs and then showed his power when they ran it up the gut, as he created movement in the middle of the field.
CB Malcolm Butler, 82.9 overall grade

Butler allowed five catches on six targets, but those went for only 44 yards in total. He broke up one pass and was in perfect position to break up the fade pass to Julio Jones at the end of the game, but was out-muscled by Jones for the touchdown despite playing it as well as he could.
Edge Trey Flowers, 79.5 overall grade

The Patriots didn’t pressure QB Matt Ryan all that often, but Flowers was responsible for three disruptions, including one of two hits on Ryan. He led the defense with three run stops, which is the most of any 4-3 defensive end in Week 7, prior to Monday Night Football.

Top 5 Grades:

T Ryan Schraeder, 85.0 overall grade
WR Julio Jones, 82.9 overall grade
CB Robert Alford, 82.2 overall grade
S Keanu Neal, 80.9 overall grade
QB Matt Ryan, 80.4 overall grade
Performances of Note:

WR Julio Jones, 82.9 overall grade

Jones found the endzone for the first time this season, but it was late in the game with a comeback already pretty well out of reach. Jones ended up a yard shy of 100 for the night on nine catches, those catches coming against five different defenders in coverage. Jones produced a wide receiver rating of 117.1 on the night, good for fifth among receivers this week with only one game remaining.
HB Devonta Freeman, 77.9 overall grade

Freeman’s grade isn’t all that high due to limited touches, however, he was pretty effective as a runner when given the ball. On 12 carries, Freeman gained 47 yards after first contact, and forced four missed tackles. He also added three catches, one of which picked up a first down.
S Keanu Neal, 80.9 overall grade

Kenau Neal drew a tough assignment in covering Rob Gronkowski for the majority of the game, and when he was in coverage vs Gronkowski, he only allowed one catch on four targets for 13 yards. In the run game Neal made three run stops on 35 run snaps.
CB Robert Alford, 82.2 overall grade

Alford might be the lesser-known corner in the Falcons secondary, but against the Patriots he proved he is a very good player in his own right. He only allowed three catches on five targets for 38 yards and knocked down a pass, with the longest reception against him going for 18 yards.
PFF Game Ball: David Andrews, C

Andrews-Game-GallWk7.jpg

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-new-england-patriots-23-atlanta-falcons-7

Manish is so obsessed with the Pats ROFL

Marsh, Bademosi and DAVID FREAKIN HARRIS!! All 3 had big nights on D.

The Falcons can say whatever they want. They are ABSOLUTELY still thinking about the SB. They are complete out of focus.

I admit, with the kids being asleep for most of this one, I had the TV turned down pretty low. Did even 1 f*cking play happen without Collinsworth or Michaels mentioning fog or last years' SB?

ONE?????? :shrug_n:

Our RBs are a big strength of this team. Keep Cooks outside. He is deadly there. Have Danny and Hogan do the middle of the field of the stuff and let Gronk run the seam. And don't forget Mitchell is coming back mostly likely after the bye.

Unfortunately, per Mike Reiss, Mitchell is probably not coming back at all this season. Found a few snippets from him on this exact topic last week (now I can't find them). Most likely to come back are both McClellan and Valentine.

Back