What food is best served as leftovers?

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
And meatloaf doesn't count.

I love me some cold pizza right out of the fridge, but it's almost like a different food than a fresh hot pizza, which is also fantastic.

What food is better as a leftover than when it is first made?

Chili.

Always better the day after.

For some reason sauces with a tomato base almost always improve with some rest. Maybe the flavors blend or something. I dunno.

Beef stew is another, although different, example.

not cold pizza

Any food that is cooked must be scorcing hot on my table right in front of me.. I fvcking hate cold food, unless its meant to be cold like salad.

Now my favorite leftovers would be turkey dinner with mash potatoes, stuffing, boilrd onion Broccoli, and a crap load of gravy.
Left over zitti dinner with hot sausage, and tons of sauce..Pizza is one of my favorite if not favorite food, however, not in leftover form due to the Freshness of the cheese being gone.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Chicken soup is tremendous when eaten the next day.

Any sauce, soup, gravy based food is ALWAYS betters day or two later.

Pizza is great left over. I usually don't eat it cold though. I always have toaster ovens, specifically for reheating pizza. But a friend turned me on to reheating on a stove top fry pan. Works great! Nice crispy crust.

But the winner, by a wide margin, is the meat loaf.

F you clown!

any sauce, soup, gravy based food is always betters day or two later.

Pizza is great left over. I usually don't eat it cold though. I always have toaster ovens, specifically for reheating pizza. But a friend turned me on to reheating on a stove top fry pan. Works great! Nice crispy crust.

But the winner, by a wide margin, is the meat loaf.

F you clown!
lol

Curries. Also, for some strange reason, when I smoke ribs they are even better on the second day

Any kind of soup.

Cold pizza belongs in that thread of things you can't stand but other people seem to enjoy...:Eason:

Chili.

For some reason sauces with a tomato base almost always improve with some rest. Maybe the flavors blend or something. I dunno.

Absolutely agree. Tomato adds acid to break down the solids so the flavors marinate better after a few days.

My spaghetti sauce peaks on the 4th day and it's still better on day 7 than it was on day 1.

I'm always eating leftovers. There aren't too many bad ones. About the only thing I don't like is mashed potatoes and white rice. They come out very dry when they're reheated. Jasmine rice is great reheated.

My favorite is spaghetti and meatballs. We store the spaghetti seperate from the sauce and meatballs. I nuke the sauce and meatballs, run the spaghetti over hot water for a minute, and I have an instant meal.

My second favorite is shake'n bake chicken, which I'm having tonight. It taste as good nuked as it does right out of the oven.

Chili.

I just had leftover beef stew last night. :toast:

Absolutely agree. Tomato adds acid to break down the solids so the flavors marinate better after a few days.

My spaghetti sauce peaks on the 4th day and it's still better on day 7 than it was on day 1.
Does all that green fuzz give it some kind of flavor or sumtin?:spock: :Eason:

I have a 3 day limit when it comes to leftovers. If its still in their on day 4 it gets tossed.. I love my sauce best 2.5 hours into the cooking process. IMO its has more Tomato flavor, and my meats are cooked perfectly. Too long and then bad things start happening to my Sausage.Ribs is great if you cook them for 4 hours, but then the sauce starts to suffer a bit.

Does all that green fuzz give it some kind of flavor or sumti?:Eason:

I have a 3 day limit when it comes to leftovers. If its still in their on day 4 it gets tossed.. I love my sauce best 2.5 hours into the cooking process. IMO its has more Tomato flavor, and my meats are cooked perfectly. Too long and then bad things start happening to my Sausage.Ribs is great if you cook them for 4 hours, but then the sauce starts to suffer a bit.

LOL. I let my sauce simmer for a minimum of 3 hours and leave the lid on while it cools. Once cooled a little I put plastic wrap on the surface of the sauce to prevent mold and then immediately put it in the fridge. Any left over after day 4 is frozen.

Something about Chinese food leftovers that I like. No idea if it marinates overnight. I usually get beef and broccoli, sesame chicken or orange chicken. Nuke it over some pork fried rice and it's almost as good as the day before.

I'm always eating leftovers. There aren't too many bad ones. About the only thing I don't like is mashed potatoes and white rice. They come out very dry when they're reheated. Jasmine rice is great reheated.

My favorite is spaghetti and meatballs. We store the spaghetti seperate from the sauce and meatballs. I nuke the sauce and meatballs, run the spaghetti over hot water for a minute, and I have an instant meal.

My second favorite is shake'n bake chicken, which I'm having tonight. It taste as good nuked as it does right out of the oven.

Totally forgot about Shake-n-Bake!

I have to get that Brazillian over to bake me a cake again!

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Does all that green fuzz give it some kind of flavor or sumtin?:spock: :Eason:

Pig in the kitchen.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

2.5 hrs in Pig?

I've never heard that opinion from anyone that cooks.

Our sauce simmers all day. Shut down and left to cool stove top all nt. Reheated and generally eaten the next day with leftover in the fridge and consumed til gone. Sometimes a 3rd day. Sometimes 5. Usually a Glad container is filled for a freeze and quick meal for later in the month.

I like eggplant parmesan or lasagna reheated. Some other Italian dishes, like penne, doesn't reheat really well.

Pizza probably is the best re-heated - as long as you don't do it in the microwave.

Oddly, Thanksgiving dinner is always good re-heated - even the green bean casserole!

I like eggplant parmesan or lasagna reheated. Some other Italian dishes, like penne, doesn't reheat really well.

Pizza probably is the best re-heated - as long as you don't do it in the microwave.

Oddly, Thanksgiving dinner is always good re-heated - even the green bean casserole!

Lasagna, pizza, meatloaf, burritos, pasta, enchiladas, hamburgers, chili, casseroles, many soups, potato salad, pies, brownies...

Back