What food is best served as leftovers?

Usually if I am re-heating pasta, its for lunch at work the next day and I only have a microwave at my disposal - Hence the rubbery texture that some pasta's get.

Daughter bought me one of these for Christmas. I haven't tried pasta with sauce in it, but stews chilis soups etc come out great. Evenly heated (pretty hot!) all the way through. I plug it in at 9 AM in my office and at noon my stuff is heartily heated!

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-BL-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V8RG

Totally forgot about Shake-n-Bake!

I have to get that Brazillian over to bake me a cake again!

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Pig in the kitchen.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

2.5 hrs in Pig?

I've never heard that opinion from anyone that cooks.

Our sauce simmers all day. Shut down and left to cool stove top all nt. Reheated and generally eaten the next day with leftover in the fridge and consumed til gone. Sometimes a 3rd day. Sometimes 5. Usually a Glad container is filled for a freeze and quick meal for later in the month.

Has anyone ever eaten a sausage with a skin on it and when it's cooked just right the juices is pop in your mouth? And if you over cook your sausage nothing happens, but instead your meat is pulverized. I like my meat firm, tasty and juicy.

Daughter bought me one of these for Christmas. I haven't tried pasta with sauce in it, but stews chilis soups etc come out great. Evenly heated (pretty hot!) all the way through. I plug it in at 9 AM in my office and at noon my stuff is heartily heated!

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-BL-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V8RG

That's really cool. I had no idea you could get a mini crock-pot for the office. I have seen some crock pots which had three separate heating containers, but not a portable one like that.

With the small size, three hours should be enough to heat anything in it.

Pizza can definitely improve over time.

I've got some friends coming over tonight for some serious beer-fueled, post-season Pats talk around the firepit and I'm doing a couple of grilled pizzas. One will be a conventional sausage, mushroom and peppers, but the other one might be worth sharing.

I use fresh dough rolled thin over aluminum foil (coat lightly with olive oil) and will lay it on a hot grill. After a few minutes, the dough will set up and start to get firm and I'll brush more oil on top, slide a paddle between the foil and the bottom and then carefully flip it over directly on the grill. Discard the foil. It's got to be done enough to make that flip without breaking and then I watch it carefully until the bottom is slightly blackened and grill-marked.

Then, back on the paddle it goes and I take it inside and flip it again so the blackened side is on top and brush that with a little fig balsamic vinegar (yes, that's a thing). On that I'll add plenty of well-carmelized red onion, prosciutto, fresh chopped figs, roasted garlic and gorgonzola cheese. Back on the grill just until the bottom has grill marks and the dough is golden brown.

It makes one hell of a pie, but it always has a little more flavor the next day assuming any lasts that long. That's actually a weight watchers recipe.

Leftover in a Zip Lock lasts for DAYS.

Pull it out, plop on plate, nuke for 45 seconds and dinners ready.

2 kids on 4 hockey teams, wrestling, and Honors hw you run a tight ship!

Leftover in a Zip Lock lasts for DAYS.

Pull it out, plop on plate, nuke for 45 seconds and dinners ready.

2 kids on 4 hockey teams, wrestling, and Honors hw you run a tight ship!

Been there done that 4 kids on 6 different sports and all the rest:toast:

Crockpots and dutch ovens were my saving grace. Throw everything in the morning dinner was done upon return.

~Dee~

As others have said chili and lasagna are good.

However the best is my home made Kahlua. It's OK when you first make it, but is much much better the next day.

I'm always eating leftovers. There aren't too many bad ones. About the only thing I don't like is mashed potatoes and white rice. They come out very dry when they're reheated. Jasmine rice is great reheated.

My favorite is spaghetti and meatballs. We store the spaghetti seperate from the sauce and meatballs. I nuke the sauce and meatballs, run the spaghetti over hot water for a minute, and I have an instant meal.

My second favorite is shake'n bake chicken, which I'm having tonight. It taste as good nuked as it does right out of the oven.

Try frying them.

Old mash potatoes make wonderful potato pancakes. Mix some onion into it nake it into a burger patty and fry it in a skillet.

Same thing with white rice, make fried rice. Add what ever you want to it, maybe a little stock and fry it up.

Left over gumbo most any soup or stew.

~Dee~

Leftover chicken soup is great if you add flour to thicken it up and then add white rice and chow mein noodles la choy..

That's really cool. I had no idea you could get a mini crock-pot for the office. I have seen some crock pots which had three separate heating containers, but not a portable one like that.

With the small size, three hours should be enough to heat anything in it.

It is and it works great!

You've reheated potato salad? I usually have it cold. I can see some soups being good re-heated, especially something like New England clam chowder.

I think burritos and hamburgers would fall into that list too, and although you didn't mention it, french fries don't make the cut.

I've never tried it before. Usually if I am re-heating pasta, its for lunch at work the next day and I only have a microwave at my disposal - Hence the rubbery texture that some pasta's get.

I will take your suggestion next time I have leftover pasta though. It's a really good idea.

no...I do eat it the next day however (leftovers).

Back