What Is The Last Movie You Saw

Watched the Norwegian import, Troll. I don’t get the hype. I found the main character insufferable and there we just so many roll your eyes moments.

Mr. Right, on Netflix.

Anna Kendrick playing, well, Anna Kendrick, as always. But it's a spin on the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope, kind of the corresponding female version: Sam Rockwell as Manic Dangerous Dream Guy - death ninja spy with a goofy sense of humor, moral compass, and a heart of gold who goes all soft for the girl he loves.

It's not a great movie by any stretch, but it's fun, with some fun, random, dry-absurd internet-style-slick dialogue. More importantly, you get to see Tim Roth and Sam Rockwell play off each other...two guys I'd put in the top 10 of living actors in an action comedy. It's like having them host an improv class using Kendrick as the foil. Kind of a trip. Sort of thing that has a decent shot of being one of those movies that no one noticed at the time but ends up as a cult classic in 20 years, like Grosse Pointe Blank or The Fifth Element.

Fun. But the second half isn't well executed.

Last edited:
Top Gun Maverick months ago.

I don’t do movies much.

My son wants to see the second Avatar, which means he needs to first watch the original. I have made 3 previous (unsuccessful) attempts at watching it and just couldn’t get into it. But finally watched it from beginning to end.

There’s nothing wrong with it but there is nothing about it that would ever make me think it was deserving of being the top grossing film of all-time. Buncha Jar Jar Binks’s running’ around’n stuff. Meh.

Mr. Right, on Netflix.

Anna Kendrick playing, well, Anna Kendrick, as always. But it's a spin on the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope, kind of the corresponding female version: Sam Rockwell as Manic Dangerous Dream Guy - death ninja spy with a goofy sense of humor, moral compass, and a heart of gold who goes all soft for the girl he loves.

It's not a great movie by any stretch, but it's fun, with some fun, random, dry-absurd internet-style-slick dialogue. More importantly, you get to see Tim Roth and Sam Rockwell play off each other...two guys I'd put in the top 10 of living actors in an action comedy. It's like having them host an improv class using Kendrick as the foil. Kind of a trip. Sort of thing that has a decent shot of being one of those movies that no one noticed at the time but ends up as a cult classic in 20 years, like Grosse Pointe Blank or The Fifth Element.

Fun. But the second half isn't well executed.

Who is Anna Kendrick and why does she always play herself? Or with? 😂

I am terribly out of touch with current movies and shows, a thing that always was central for me.

Sam Rockwell's character you describe here. :hello:

Great freaking actor.

I think he is stepping out of acting or something, caught a headline.

In the Pantheon of top 10 living actors, Gary Oldman.

Last edited:
As I do a million different things in a bunch of different worlds everyday and never realize I'm tired til I kick back to watch something and immediately fall asleep, I have no idea what I cued up on YouTube that brought this.

From the opening scene to the end was I was in full rapt attention, enjoyment and loving every moment.

2 absolute legends on the screen who, let's not kid ourselves, not long before they take their last bow.

I had no idea this movie even existed.

Al Pacino, Christopher Walken and a touch of Alan Arkin.

Every scene in the context of who they are and what they've done for so many years, to me, are perfection.

And the chick in a scene in the middle with the baseball bat? Holy crap, she is the essence of my friend Chara I've spoken about many times for very good reasons.

Its free on YouTube.

View: https://youtu.be/NApJNjPTqZs

In the most mind bending and full of truth and honesty and connections discussion with Claremonster last night on Facebook about developmental influences in the 80s, this one popped up.

I mean, Holy Hell!

CM is from here in NH and we met once at a party on an island on Newfound Lake in the 80s. I'm pretty sure the feds are still investigating who is responsible for buying every keg in Bristol and the cause of that Island burning to the ground and the boats that sank bringing us assholes to and fro.

Clare lives on the other side of the country now and I think we should be thankful for that cuz me and him together are like the Ghostbusters crossing streams and would likely end all of existence. 😂

View: https://youtu.be/oFyIwoS9IME

Monumental.

Sorry for that guys. 😂

Heavy Metal

View: https://youtu.be/-Fvzpl5wTPo

Last edited:
I watched Contact last night.

As a SF aficionado, I probably should have watched it years ago. I did read the book when it came out and liked it very much, and I also enjoyed the movie.

Jodie Foster was excellent, and while Matthew McConaughey would not have been my first choice for the role of Palmer Joss, he acquits himself very nicely.

The special effects were good, not great, but this is a movie that succeeds or fails based on ideas, and I think it largely succeeds, although the ending of the movie was more ambiguous than that of the book.

As a SF aficionado, I probably should have watched it years ago. I did read the book when it came out and liked it very much, and I also enjoyed the movie.

Jodie Foster was excellent, and while Matthew McConaughey would not have been my first choice for the role of Palmer Joss, he acquits himself very nicely.

The special effects were good, not great, but this is a movie that succeeds or fails based on ideas, and I think it largely succeeds, although the ending of the movie was more ambiguous than that of the book.

And the ideas are brilliantly left open to question at the end.

One of my favorite movies ever.

I mentioned once of seeing Sagan speak here in Plymouth, NH at the college towards his end.

We sat and got to know each and shared ideas over coffee for hours afterwards.

What an incredible human being.

The kindest, most accepting and appreciative of good conversation man I've ever met.

Brilliant mind and even more so a wonderful man.

Speaking of McConaughey and scifi, what did you think of Interstellar?

It's still on my to-be-seen list.

I have heard good things about it, and will try to get to it soon. When I do I'll post some quick thoughts here.
Wonderful, would to read your thoughts on it.

Interstellar was really good, but I found the ending blah…

Wonderful, would to read your thoughts on it.

Loved it.

And as usual I have many words to share about it. 😂

But they'll have to wait.

Gotta take a shower and pick up the place.

Have a very long-time friend who I've not seen in a long time coming over.

Back