What Is Your Favorite Meme/Saying/Quote/Post?...

tu_ne_cede_malis_sed_contra_audentior_ito_stein.jpg

The above, plus one that, I believe, is my very own, and I use it all the time...

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

"Legally drunk? If it's 'legally' drunk, what's the effin' problem?" - G. Carlin

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. -Dean Martin

There was one?- Cruiser

None more black- Nigel Tufnel

"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning."

Sports saying I always liked. When it comes to scoring:

"They don't ask HOW, they ask HOW MANY."

The point is mute.

/john_cleese_voice

Some people have made the mistake of seeing Shunt's work as a load of rubbish about railway timetables, but clever people like me, who talk loudly in restaurants, see this as a deliberate ambiguity, a plea for understanding in a mechanized world. The points are frozen, the beast is dead. What is the difference? What indeed is the point? The point is frozen, the beast is late out of Paddington. The point is taken. If La Fontaine's elk would spurn Tom Jones the engine must be our head, the dining car our esophagus, the guard's van our left lung, the cattle truck our shins, the first-class compartment the piece of skin at the nape of the neck and the level crossing an electric elk called Simon. The clarity is devastating. But where is the ambiguity? It's over there in a box. Shunt is saying the 8:15 from Gillingham when in reality he means the 8:13 from Gillingham. The train is the same only the time is altered. Ecce homo, ergo elk. La Fontaine knew his sister and knew her bloody well. The point is taken, the beast is moulting, the fluff gets up your nose. The illusion is complete; it is reality, the reality is illusion and the ambiguity is the only truth. But is the truth, as Hitchcock observes, in the box? No there isn't room, the ambiguity has put on weight. The point is taken, the elk is dead, the beast stops at Swindon, Chabrol stops at nothing, I'm having treatment and La Fontaine can get knotted.

:blah:

"This, too, shall pass."

This one got me through as a parent/stay at home Dad. Every time a new stage, a new issue, a new form of testing came up that I'd think would last forever, I'd chant this phrase. And every time it came true.

It is what it is.

Belichick gets teased about this one, but over time I've come to appreciate the way I think he means it. Others use it as a throw away line similar to "whatever", but I see it having a much stronger meaning. I take it to mean:

This is the situation we are in going forward. Would'a, Could'a, Shoulda's do no good, and are just a waste of time and energy. I'm fully accepting the current situation and am going to do everything I can to move forward and improve. If another challenge/problem/issue arises, I will accept it and move on from there.

This one got me through as a parent/stay at home Dad. Every time a new stage, a new issue, a new form of testing came up that I'd think would last forever, I'd chant this phrase. And every time it came true.
as a single full time dad to two teenagers, it helps

Belichick gets teased about this one, but over time I've come to appreciate the way I think he means it. Others use it as a throw away line similar to "whatever", but I see it having a much stronger meaning. I take it to mean:

This is the situation we are in going forward. Would'a, Could'a, Shoulda's do no good, and are just a waste of time and energy. I'm fully accepting the current situation and am going to do everything I can to move forward and improve. If another challenge/problem/issue arises, I will accept it and move on from there.
I Agree with your meaning and have always taken Bill's words as such.

Loaded with wisdom...

Back