Windows 10

It took hours to download & install on my laptop . So far it'd a lot easier to use then windows 8.

If I was going from 8 to 10, I wouldn't hesitate. But Windows 7 is pretty solid and I can't think of anything in 10 that I want or need. I know someday I'll have to deal with 10, but that will be when I eventually replace my current hardware.

If I was going from 8 to 10, I wouldn't hesitate. But Windows 7 is pretty solid and I can't think of anything in 10 that I want or need. I know someday I'll have to deal with 10, but that will be when I eventually replace my current hardware.
I still have windows 7 on my PC. Windows 8 was a huge PIA . Took me a long time to figure out . It was a free upgrade to Windows 10 for my laptop

I understand your position.

Just be sure to periodically check for security updates to W7 the way I described in my OP.

This is the thing that pushed me over the edge.

I had issues getting the W7 updates to install and I don't think that's an accident.

Just be sure to periodically check for security updates to W7 the way I described in my OP.

I had issues getting the W7 updates to install and I don't think that's an accident.

This my hubby has windows I have a Mac. It took me 3 days to get through all the garbage that was downloaded and clean it out in 7 . He then proceeded to downloaded 10 and it took some time to get through the rest of the BS I was ready to strangle him.

~Dee~

I've already been through that. Last month, MS had a large update that kept failing, causing my laptop to go into rolling reboots. Turns out there was one update, out of 17, that was failing. Because update logs are almost non-existant, I had to install each update one at a time to find the offender. Turns out many people were having an issue with that update. The only solution was to hide it and forget about it.

So, I decided to go ahead and upgrade. I had no issues with my home laptop and desktop. So far it's been smooth with just a little bit of adjustment for the look and feel. I use these systems primarily to access the internet and email, so I don't care too much about the specifics.

However, since those went smoothly, we decided to upgrade the wife's work laptop and that's when things went wrong. The laptop ended up with what is called the black screen of death. Basically, the laptop upgraded and is running, but the laptop monitor is disabled. After spending an entire afternoon researching, I found that I can plug in an external monitor to get on. And, if I boot in safe mode (which is a major hassle on W10), the laptop screen works. There are about a dozen different ideas on how to solve the issue, none if which are working so far. The most common cause is a non-native video card that doesn't get it's firmware updated properly. But this laptop is pretty basic and uses the native video (an Intel graphics chip). The properties are telling me it's updated, but still not working. Others have noted that the upgrade can sometimes activate the secondary screen and I've tried to toggle the display options, still not working.

At this point, I'll probably have to bring it to some tech shop to have it fixed. It figures that the one of the few instances of this happening would be on the laptop that the wife needs for work.

:banghead:

So, I decided to go ahead and upgrade. I had no issues with my home laptop and desktop. So far it's been smooth with just a little bit of adjustment for the look and feel. I use these systems primarily to access the internet and email, so I don't care too much about the specifics.

However, since those went smoothly, we decided to upgrade the wife's work laptop and that's when things went wrong. The laptop ended up with what is called the black screen of death. Basically, the laptop upgraded and is running, but the laptop monitor is disabled. After spending an entire afternoon researching, I found that I can plug in an external monitor to get on. And, if I boot in safe mode (which is a major hassle on W10), the laptop screen works. There are about a dozen different ideas on how to solve the issue, none if which are working so far. The most common cause is a non-native video card that doesn't get it's firmware updated properly. But this laptop is pretty basic and uses the native video (an Intel graphics chip). The properties are telling me it's updated, but still not working. Others have noted that the upgrade can sometimes activate the secondary screen and I've tried to toggle the display options, still not working.

At this point, I'll probably have to bring it to some tech shop to have it fixed. It figures that the one of the few instances of this happening would be on the laptop that the wife needs for work.

:banghead:

Smart to get the external monitor attached. Can you reboot into normal mode using the monitor?

I am a Mac guy so this may be a dumb question, but is there a way of reversing the upgrade?

Smart to get the external monitor attached. Can you reboot into normal mode using the monitor?

I am a Mac guy so this may be a dumb question, but is there a way of reversing the upgrade?

I know someone who reversed the upgrade, but needed help from a Geek Squad covered under warranty.

If you want to stay on 7 forever and can't stand the notification updates, click this link, in the middle of the pages click "download now", click the button requested for getting rid of it. You'll never get another notification, and this instructs windows not to install 10.

This is a safe site and reviewed by CNET.
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Windows 10 can die in an AIDS fire. As much as I can't believe it, it's actually worse than 8.

I was a huge windows fan for years. I got sick of all the updates. I switched to Mac and can't be happier. Took a while to get used to it but once you get it it's no going back to windows.

My 2 cents

Yes. When the laptop is in safe mode, the laptop screen is active. When it's in normal mode, the external monitor is active. So clearly the normal mode is trying to set the video driver in a manner that's is not working as planned.

I know someone who reversed the upgrade, but needed help from a Geek Squad covered under warranty.

Once the upgrade is successful, there's no going back, at least as far as I know. I think I would have to do a fresh install on Windows 7.

Yes. When the laptop is in safe mode, the laptop screen is active. When it's in normal mode, the external monitor is active. So clearly the normal mode is trying to set the video driver in a manner that's is not working as planned.

Once the upgrade is successful, there's no going back, at least as far as I know. I think I would have to do a fresh install on Windows 7.

Again, forgive my ignorance if this is silly, but can you (while in normal mode using external) adjust the monitor settings just to make sure that they didn't get set to external only during the upgrade? I use 3 monitors in my home office and I can set them up many ways including external only.

I believe you have 31 days to uninstall windows 10, after that you'd have to reload you old OS from scratch with a disk or a factory installed recovery partition on your hard drive, and all your personal files will be gone.

here's how to roll back to your previous operating system
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960...windows-10-and-go-back-to-windows-7-or-8.html

I liked windows 7 and will continue to use 7 until Microsoft no longer supports it.

I still run windows XP on my one desktop. Yes XP, the one they "stopped supporting" years ago. I still get update popups from the official Microcrosoft updater for various fixes for it though, which I download and install.

I still run windows XP on my one desktop. Yes XP, the one they "stopped supporting" years ago. I still get update popups from the official Microcrosoft updater for various fixes for it though, which I download and install.

XP Pro was probably the best OS those butt monkeys ever created. I miss it every day.

The ONLY reason I have a new desktop (which has windows 8.1 I think and which I have not set up 100% yet) is that I cannot install quickbooks 2016 on the XP machine.

I still run Vista on my laptop and get the Microsoft updates as well.

I still run Vista on my laptop and get the Microsoft updates as well.

At one time I had windows 98, Xp, and vista all loaded on my had drive with
the windows boot manager that would let me boot the OS. of my choice. Eventually the graphics card crapped out and I couldn't find a new card that had drivers for win 98. Microsoft will eventually migrate people over to 10 by scare tactics or by seeing that internet explorer will not be backwards compatible. Many machines sold with windows 8 will not even read a windows 7 install disk. Microsoft learned from their losses on vista and will not allow the manufacturers to provide drivers for a win 7 downgrade.

To end the update saga, I reverted back to Windows 7. No more upgrade attempts for me. As far as I can tell. the graphics chip on the 2nd gen Intel core is not supported by Windows 10 and Intel has no plans to release a new driver for it.

I don't know who's worse, MS or Intel.

Back