2011 NFL Draft Day 2 Thread

Well, I do have my moments...

wuv

It's weird to me to hear you say all that because I get pretty much the exact opposite impression about him. What I see and hear leads me to believe he will be a perfect fit for our defensive tackles in a year or two.

Oh well, we'll see.

You ever think of running for office? I've noticed your ability to defuse a situation is worth my vote! (Especially with Middie) :clap:

[but I still am not impressed with Nevis]

You ever think of running for office? I've noticed your ability to defuse a situation is worth my vote! (Especially with Middie) :clap:

[but I still am not impressed with Nevis]
I'm just waiting for the sideburn area to get a hint of grey (you know, so I look distinguished) and then I'm launching my political career.

EDIT: As far as Nevis goes, time will tell. Different strokes for different folks. For example, I'm completely underwhelmed by Nate Solder but he might turn out to be a stud left tackle like most of you are prognosticating.

On the first two day, i'm a big fan of Solder, and i'm pretty happy with the Ras pick. I would have preferred Leshoure, but Verveen has got a lot of raps here and is a dangerous type. I like Ridley as a player, but assuming we keep GJGE thats 4 backs that carries are going to be spilt around and probably not worth the pick. If some happens to Green-Ellis' tender and he doesn't stay then it makes a lot more sense and is a nice pick.
Mallett. It's a strange one. It terms of talent to value, i can't remember a better QB pick but it obvious there is the off-field issues. If they can be fixed up, give him 3 years to learn behind Brady and he could a boss. i know many people (and apparently the patriots) rated him as the clear number QB in the draft, and really in terms of the arm and pocket skills, the others don't come close

I think this draft tells us one thing. BB does not think there will be football played this year, which is why he is positioning us for the draft next year.

I'm just waiting for the sideburn area to get a hint of grey (you know, so I look distinguished) and then I'm launching my political career.

EDIT: As far as Nevis goes, time will tell. Different strokes for different folks. For example, I'm completely underwhelmed by Nate Solder but he might turn out to be a stud left tackle like Polian was prognosticating.

Fixed. :p

Ok….

Alright so before we take a TE with the next pick and everyone says how great a pick it is, everyone say now what the pats will take next. I did not see this guys name on anyone's list of picks today, and now we stole him.

It has been months since I posted and I know NONE of you care AND I am way late reading this stuff…….

BUT…. This is some funny shit midgar. Really funny. Thanks for making me laugh out loud.:thumb:

Um, we still don't have a pass rush.

How about D line and a vertical threat on O? Unless they plan on converting Mallet to a WR. :doh:

Sorry, folks, but with the exception of Solder (and I'm not really convinced that we needed a first round OT, not if Scar can work wonders with some of the players we've had on the O-line), I find this draft to be pretty below-average.

A very good CB... even though Bodden is certainly good enough as a #2 CB for several more years.

Two RBs? REALLY? Especially with Woodhead as our new Faulk-like player?

Mallett?! I agree that he could be a solid NFL QB; but know what?

WE DON'T PHUCKING NEED ONE RIGHT NOW.

Our window is SMALL with Tom F'ing Brady. We need to win now. Mallett doesn't fulfill that.

Sorry, I take the "In Bill we trust" only to a particular level.

As someone said, our SB teams won by defense with a very good offense. One of the hallmarks of that defense was a defensive line that could push forward and OLB's that could get to the QB.

We don't have that now. At all. Anyone claiming otherwise is deciding to ignore the Patriots' opponents' 48% 3rd down conversion rate.

Bad draft.

I like the conflict here:
"• Can get engulfed when massive blockers lock on
• Lacks power, not real stout and won't get big push"
with your highlighted part.

:rockon:

Well you have to say, it sounds like a colts DT, should be a good fit.

Alright, i'll go about defending what i can

A very good CB... even though Bodden is certainly good enough as a #2 CB for several more years.

I love Bodden, i really love Bodden, but by season's start, assuming the near-impossible full season, he is 30 years old coming off a knee injury. Not the player i want to rely on heavily short term, or at all long term. A move to free is always a possibility giving Ras his chance to develop

Two RBs? REALLY? Especially with Woodhead as our new Faulk-like player?

Kind of got me here. I wanted Leshoure, but i have enough faith in everyone else and from my limited view that Veneer will be a gun. Quick and great.

Ridley i'm not so optimistic about. Sure, maybe they wanted to top up the RBs, particularly if there is some unseen trouble with BJ-GE and his tender, but i recon that could have been fixed up later with someone like Helu. As a player i don't mind Ridley, just a bit early

Mallett?! I agree that he could be a solid NFL QB; but know what?

You will not mind a more physically gifted QB at this point in the draft for the next 15 years. Absolute cannon of an arm and has all the tools to be a dominant Qb in the league. Sure he needs work and time, but this is the perfect situation for him. Like you said, Brady's window is small, chances are this is last contract, by the time it's done he will be going on 37 and while he may play on, i can very easily see him stepping away before he Brett Favre's it. Give Mallett two seasons to learn from the best and fix himself up, and thats a steal and a half. Frankly it may not help now, but it's a pick we of all teams, can afford. Better to paya 74 pick now then a top-5 in 3 years for a less experience and possibly less talented guy

On pass rushers, i have a lot of faith (too much) faith in Dane Fletch becoming a nice player. Not a dominant one, but nice. Cunningham is the long term starter and he will only get better. I know that we do need that pass rusher, but it will come in time, but to be honest i was a fan of any of the edge rushers available. All left were all either over-hyped or not a great fit. The pats must have thought the same.
I am disappointed that we didn't get either and end or Lb, but it hasn't been a disgusting draft like some think.

we need rush pass we should have drafted Akeem Ayers. AHHHHHh. HE'S 255 LBS SO HE CAN PASSER THE RUSH. HOW ARE WE GOING TO GET PRESSURE.AHHHH. probably better off tanking the season (not at all directed at you patsfan)

As someone said, our SB teams won by defense with a very good offense. One of the hallmarks of that defense was a defensive line that could push forward and OLB's that could get to the QB.

We don't have that now. At all. Anyone claiming otherwise is deciding to ignore the Patriots' opponents' 48% 3rd down conversion rate.

Ty Warren being out I'm sure was a factor. You had VW playing out of position to patch holes. G. Warren has a full year in the system and Brace and Wright will be back. We are set at D-line and DB. OLB is the only weak spot I see, though Cunningham might be ready to be the man. The defense is better (on paper) than what the Pats fielded last year.

Ty Warren being out I'm sure was a factor. You had VW playing out of position to patch holes. G. Warren has a full year in the system and Brace and Wright will be back. We are set at D-line and DB. OLB is the only weak spot I see, though Cunningham might be ready to be the man. The defense is better (on paper) than what the Pats fielded last year.

Regardless of cunningham, I do not think TBC is getting 10 sacks anymore so that position does need an upgrade and we have zero depth there. I do we wish we had a young threat at DE that could be a major disruption, I do not see that on the roster. Warren is not really that guy and I am not sure you get better with age and injury.

Okay, judging from our activity in the draft this year I can conclude thus:-

• There is a belief that there's more to come from the current roster
  • Bill is concerned about the lack of veterans on the team
  • The 2011 draft class isn't up to much
  • The Raiders are our b*tches when it comes to trades
  • Bill cares far, far more about getting value than addressing team needs

Isn't kind of funny that there exists a wealth of talent and expertise sitting down at keyboards and monitors telling the rest of us how a team should use their draft choices and who they should pick?

After all, with talent like this, how come they are not in the war rooms throughout the NFL or hired by the teams for their scouting department?

Okay, judging from our activity in the draft this year I can conclude thus:-

• There is a belief that there's more to come from the current roster
  • Bill is concerned about the lack of veterans on the team
  • The 2011 draft class isn't up to much
  • The Raiders are our b*tches when it comes to trades
  • Bill cares far, far more about getting value than addressing team needs

Good list, especially the ones I've highlighted.

BB obviously felt that RB, DB and OT were value areas and/or areas of concern. He obviously likes what's on the roster at OG/C, DE, DE/OLB and WR more than we do, or he didn't like the values in the draft.

But the last statement is the big one. BB obviously cares more about added talent and what he perceives as "value" than addressing what are perceived as team needs. He's said as much in the past, and he clearly lives by that philosophy draft after draft. So we shouldn't be surprised by it.

Looking back at days 1 and 2, BB has essentially added 3 concensus first round talents out of 5 picks:

1. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado. Consensus 1st round OT, Pats considered him a top 10 pick. Smart, hard working, high character, great measurables, huge upside, humble - fits Pats profile.

2. Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia. Consensus 1st round talent at DB who slipped because of injury issues. Otherwise belonged right up there with Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara and Jimmy Smith as a talent. Smart, hard working, high character, great measurables, huge upside, humble - fits Pats profile.

3. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas. Concensus 1st round pro talent with huge question marks, which the Pats apparently feel were overblown. Huge risk/reward pick, and potential long term / trade value. Classic Pats "WTF?" value pick.

Shane Vereen was my preferred target at RB IF we took an RB day 1-2, so I consider him solid value. He's another classic Pats pick - tough, versatile, smart, low key, able to do all the things the Pats like their RBs to do.

I don't know much about Stefan Ridley, but the Pats took him over some quality players, so they have to like him, and a bruising big back is a nice addition to the roster.

Is Ben his uncle?
On his mothers side twice removed but real close.

Isn't kind of funny that there exists a wealth of talent and expertise sitting down at keyboards and monitors telling the rest of us how a team should use their draft choices and who they should pick?

After all, with talent like this, how come they are not in the war rooms throughout the NFL or hired by the teams for their scouting department?
Dude I could have had that seat, I just didn't like the hours

Back