Are we headed for a QB controversy?

Today on Patriots radio they said there is an Albert Breer article that says that the relationship between Mac and the coaching staff had "gone sideways" in the summer. Supposedly disagreements on the new plans for the new offense,, etc..

The above is a summation/ paraphrasing of what I heard.

As we've said, Bailey is a small QB. Could he get up to a Drew Brees or a Tony Romo level?

There might be quite a bit of the Drew Brees about him.

I do like the fact there is a Texan QB playing for the New England Patriots! That's kind of cool.

We are already in the Qb controversy IMO.
Bill will make the ultimate choice.

Really unusual occurrence on Curran's Quick Slants TV show this evening. He called out Ben "Trollin'" Volin by name and by posting his picture on the screen. He essentially accused Volin of making stuff up when Volin appeared on the Holley and Felger show last evening, Curran said Volin was claiming he'd been told uncomplimentary things about Jones that no one else (including Breer, presumably) in the local media had ever heard.

Quick kernel of burgeoning info....

Listending to some of those pundits and Cowherd said it in his opening question to Sean Payton in that piece chevvs posted when he said that Jones may be the better athlete, but that doesn't mean he was doing what was being asked of him...Perry and co were kind of saying the same, bringing up the possibility that Mac may have been going off-script early in the season? Was he changing the play calling and freelancing and launching a little rebellion against the playcalling due to him being unhappy with Josh leaving and bringing Matty P is etc?

I mean it's possible....I guess. And now Bill and Matt have a perfect opportunity with Zappe to say to Mac, look what can be done if you trust the offense we're building here. Stick with the plan and we'll be good. We're making this 4th round, small QB from Western Kentucky look like Drew Brees, so trust us.

Listending to some of those pundits and Cowherd said it in his opening question to Sean Payton in that piece chevvs posted when he said that Jones may be the better athlete, but that doesn't mean he was doing what was being asked of him...Perry and co were kind of saying the same, bringing up the possibility that Mac may have been going off-script early in the season? Was he changing the play calling and freelancing and launching a little rebellion against the playcalling due to him being unhappy with Josh leaving and bringing Matty P is etc?

I mean it's possible....I guess. And now Bill and Matt have a perfect opportunity with Zappe to say to Mac, look what can be done if you trust the offense we're building here. Stick with the plan and we'll be good. We're making this 4th round, small QB from Western Kentucky look like Drew Brees, so trust us.

I would be shocked if this was anything close to be anything other than media trolls trying to keep getting checks.

I would be shocked if this was anything close to be anything other than media trolls trying to keep getting checks.

I agree. Mac is a second year player, so it's not like he's a tenured pro. If that is the case then it would spell really bad news for Mac, and I just don't think BB would stand for it.

I think it's just early struggles on offense trying some stuff out with little repetition. Mac also kept getting hit early and often, and the offense sputtering because Mac wasn't able to coordinate well with his receivers. The receivers also seem to be playing better in general. Also Mac has yet to be able to play with Thornton, which appears to be a real weapon out there.
Patricia seemed like he was trying to reinvent the wheel with Mac, whereas now he's actually calling some sound games in a more conservative approach.

Another point that I haven't seen mentioned much -- Hunter Henry is playing like his usual self again. I don't know if he was nursing an injury early on or if he was being phased out due to the more vertical playcalling. But Hunter Henry is a great safety blanket that Mac used early and often last season yet this season I don't think he targeted him more than a few times. I imagine that has to change now.

This time off should actually help settle Mac down and with the team play much better complimentary football, I see Mac picking up where he left off from last year. If not, then Zappe has shown to be more than competent at doing what's being asked of him. Pats are in a win-win situation here.

I agree. Mac is a second year player, so it's not like he's a tenured pro. If that is the case then it would spell really bad news for Mac, and I just don't think BB would stand for it.

I think it's just early struggles on offense trying some stuff out with little repetition. Mac also kept getting hit early and often, and the offense sputtering because Mac wasn't able to coordinate well with his receivers. The receivers also seem to be playing better in general. Also Mac has yet to be able to play with Thornton, which appears to be a real weapon out there.
Patricia seemed like he was trying to reinvent the wheel with Mac, whereas now he's actually calling some sound games in a more conservative approach.

Another point that I haven't seen mentioned much -- Hunter Henry is playing like his usual self again. I don't know if he was nursing an injury early on or if he was being phased out due to the more vertical playcalling. But Hunter Henry is a great safety blanket that Mac used early and often last season yet this season I don't think he targeted him more than a few times.

This time off should actually help settle Mac down and with the team play much better complimentary football, I see Mac picking up where he left off from last year. If not, then Zappe has shown to be more than competent at doing what's being asked of him. Pats are in a win-win situation here.

Hunter had offseason shoulder surgery.

I don't know when the last time is that this has been true, but the Patriots have so few bad targets this year. I guess the one exception is LJH, and as a target he's no worse than a replacement level receiving TE. Meyers, Parker, Bourne, Agholor, Thornton, Henry, Smith, Stevenson, and Harris...all have their plusses and minuses, but none who would only be a last resort on a good, healthy NFL offense. That's NINE. There have been a decent number of years when it was a stretch to say we had five.

I know you're joking, because Zappe would probably currently get you a 5th, Maybe a 4th rounder. We've seen it over and over, a player we think is good enough for a 1st rounder, ends up getting you a 5th, 4th rounder. Now, if Jones is still on the team, and the Patriots win the championship with Zappe as the quarterback,
Zappe would probably get you a 3rd rounder.
Lay off the drugks. Two first rounduhs to initiate the convo...each.

Here's what I think.. Mac Jones will be given the keys back. The only way I see him losing the job is if he comes back and struggles. They will go right back to Zappe. But I must say...its only been 2 games with Zappe against the Lions all time ranked worst defense...and the Browns. It still impressed the hell out of me. It's not like he played to the competition. He killed the competition. So I believe he has real potential in this league. But that doesn't make me change my opinion on Mac. I've been high on Mac. and I believe Belichick and the coaching staff is as well. But I'm not one that's afraid of admitting I was wrong...if that were the case. But we shall see!

Here's what I think.. Mac Jones will be given the keys back. The only way I see him losing the job is if he comes back and struggles. They will go right back to Zappe. But I must say...its only been 2 games with Zappe against the Lions all time ranked worst defense...and the Browns. It still impressed the hell out of me. It's not like he played to the competition. He killed the competition. So I believe he has real potential in this league. But that doesn't make me change my opinion on Mac. I've been high on Mac. and I believe Belichick and the coaching staff is as well. But I'm not one that's afraid of admitting I was wrong...if that were the case. But we shall see!
You forgot the Packers

Wasn't it Breer who claimed back when Jones first got injured that Jones was upset because he wanted surgery and BB wanted him to play through it or something like that?
It was the team wanted him to get the surgery so he could come back faster, but he didn't want it because there was no guarantee it would work(based on players that had it done). I think he also reported that Mac Jones was questioning making a former DC the new quasi OC. Just a troublemaker that Breer :toetap:

My guys have mentioned the off script decisions by Mac more than a few times.
What I'm going to say here, I've already alluded to a few times without actually saying it.
It wasn't explained that Mac was changing calls at the line; it was more like Mac was reversing the progression of his reads meaning Mac put going long first on the list when he thought he would have time to do it. It actually began the end of last year and he had some success with it so BB/Josh didn't lay down the hammer.

BB has always had a rule that his (developing) QBs should never pass up a sure-fire open short pass that gains yardage even if a longer pass to another player looks like it might lead to a completion. "If short is open, throw it". It became known as dink and dunk with Brady in his early years but it worked for 1st downs, points and 3 SBs. Mac may have been anxious to show off his new arm strength and his new toy, Parker. He got way ahead of the plan and it bit him in the ass. Plus, Parker is no Randy Moss. Hey, we all want to be heroes and Mac's no different. Failure is a great teacher and I think Mac has the heart to come back stronger and better. Lesson learned.

Back