Bears are trading their team - Pats acquire LB Jon Bostic

My brother Ed is beyond pissed . Bostic was his favorite bears defensive player. They only got a 6th in return .

Belichick loves those Florida boys doesn't he?

This guy was a second rounder just two years ago and BB grabs him for a sixth? On his rookie deal with this year and next to run. And he appears to have been one of the Bears better defenders. This is an Ayers type pick-up w/potential of better upside.

Not that Lisa wants to hear this but is Mayo on the block or looking at getting cut? What's his dead money situation? Is there a LB starved team w/a superfluous CB who can play out there somewhere?

This guy was a second rounder just two years ago and BB grabs him for a sixth? On his rookie deal with this year and next to run. And he appears to have been one of the Bears better defenders. This is an Ayers type pick-up w/potential of better upside.

Not that Lisa wants to hear this but is Mayo on the block or looking at getting cut? What's his dead money situation? Is there a LB starved team w/a superfluous CB who can play out there somewhere?

No way Mayo is on the trading block. His injury was much worse than advertised. He restructured and took a pay cut, so he's not going anywhere...this season, anyway.

Bears are rebuilding, Allen didn't fit their scheme, and neither does this kid. They were making calls, and he was too good to pass up.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

more info...

The acquisition of Bostic adds another layer to some of the team's planning at the position, with Hightower, Collins and Freeny also signed through 2016. Meanwhile, Mayo's contract situation is likely to be addressed following this season. He has a $4 million roster bonus due on the first day of the 2016 league year, and if the Patriots pick it up, he would count $11.4 million against the salary cap. It's highly unlikely the team will pick up the option, with Mayo now serving as the No. 3 option.

Bostic, who is 6-foot-1, 245-pounds, was the Bears' leading tackler in 2014 under the team's old regime with coach Marc Trestman. With first-year coach John Fox this season, he fell out of favor.

The Bears drafted Bostic 50th overall in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft out of the University of Florida after he ran the second-fastest 40-yard dash time at that year's NFL combine. Bostic made an immediate impact as a rookie when he started nine games at middle linebacker.

Scouting report on Bostic?

He'll remind you of Jerod Mayo or Jon Beason physically. Smallish, quick and a bit hitter at Florida. Leader, too.

While the Pats have been dumping late draft picks like mad, this guy was the number 50 selection and went a few picks ahead of Jamie Collins. A sixth-rounder for him would seem like a solid move and the depth at linebacker did need to be addressed.

Let's see what he can do.

Hearing that the Bears roster is up for grabs.

If the Jets get a hold of Forte and the Ratbirds get Jeffery, it could be a much more interesting season.

No way Mayo is on the trading block. His injury was much worse than advertised. He restructured and took a pay cut, so he's not going anywhere...this season, anyway.

Bears are rebuilding, Allen didn't fit their scheme, and neither does this kid. They were making calls, and he was too good to pass up.

Cruz has yet to play with that same injury. Right Now mayo is just a backup LB will keep getting limited snaps .

Smart move by BB. Bostic is a solid investment for a 6th round pick and, as Lisa said, he fits the mold of Spikes as a run stopper; when Spikes graduated, Bostic was his replacement at ILB at Fla.

BB is collecting assets to use now & to redeem when the roi is right.

from Walter Football. http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013jbostic.php
<center> Jon Bostic Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

</center> Strengths: Excellent run defender
Takes on blocks
Physical
Downhill attacker
Strong
Straight-line speed
Good tackler
Instinctive
Hustles
Flashes on blitzes
Plays with an attitude
<center> <center> </center> </center>
Weaknesses: Needs to improve pass coverage
Stiff
Lacks change of direction ability
Not fluid
Needs to get better at shedding blocks
Consistency

Summary: Even before the Gators' program lost Brandon Spikes to the NFL, Bostic was the linebacker who was dubbed the heir apparent to man the middle of the Florida defense.

After serving as Spikes' backup in 2009, Bostic took over as a starter during his sophomore season. He recorded 57 tackles with 2.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks and three interceptions in 2010. He improved his play significantly as a junior. Bostic totaled 94 tackles with 10 tackles for a loss, three sacks and a forced fumble in 2011.

As a senior, Bostic's numbers decreased as he had 68 tackles, two interceptions, one forced fumble and three sacks. He played well for the Gators and was a core player in their tough defense. Even though his tackle total was less, Bostic played more disciplined and fundamental football in his final season. Florida's defense was a lot better than the year before. Other teammates were making tackles, and as a unit, they did a better job of getting off the field and decreasing their snaps.

At the Combine, Bostic was impressive with a fast 4.61 time in the 40-yard dash. He definitely has some straight-line speed and explosiveness.

Entering the NFL, Bostic's strength is his run defense. He is a tough in-the-box run defender and is very physical. He has no issues with bigger backs and attacks the line of scrimmage. There is no hesitation to take on blocks, although he needs to improve on his ability to shed blocks. Bostic is a hard-nosed defender who should will help a team's run defense.

Transitioning to the NFL should be relatively quick for Bostic. He has seen a lot of hard-nosed running offenses in the SEC. The area that Bostic will need to work on is his pass coverage. The NFL features more passing and complex offenses than what Bostic is used to. In the beginning of his career, he might only be a two-down linebacker, but after some development, he should be a three-down starter.

Scouts have told WalterFootball.com that they expect Bostic to be selected on the second day of the 2013 NFL Draft. They feel that he is a good value pick and could be underrated because there are some high-profile inside linebackers like Manti Te'o and Alec Ogletree. Bostic could be nice a value pick in the second or third round as a future starter.

Bostic must think he won the lottery. He goes from the bears to the SB champion patriots . I wonder what player going to get cut.

If I'm not mistaken, Mayo costs more to cut than keep.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S1Jiwv9sSpY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Watch him gently separate Teddy Bridgewater from his helmet at 45 seconds.)

I agree. I hope that given that he did get hurt, took a big pay cut and is being a good soldier about number of snaps, that BB isn't going to cut him loose.

Now, I can see a scenario were BB finds him a home that needs him to start and makes him more of an impact player than he is now (resurrect his career to a degree) that it would be seen as BB doing him a favor. And if that team had a spare CB.........

So now that Bostic passed his physical and the trade is official, who's getting booted off?

Sounds like he's a bigger more physical option to Chungs role, in the box guy.

And I don't want Chung in coverage either.

So now that Bostic passed his physical and the trade is official, who's getting booted off?

Good question. Hooman, Cadet, CB Fletcher, LB DWatson or Rufus Johnson are all possibles.

edit: LB Dekoda Watson most probable.

Back